Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by rass »

More or less distinct images (of her, not of Holiday or other random related singers) than you have fingers?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

More than a dozen distinct images of Bessie Smith. Some are album covers. (Maybe your filter is limiting the number?)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Here's a random thought. The first time I had guacamole was when Daveinseattle made it at hood to coast. Hat was some good guac that got me hooked on the stuff. So thanks, dis!

Yes. I was 31 at the time. In a bubble.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My mom never had avocado until she was mid-60s because she thought they were spicy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Never really dawned on me to eat guac until I started living in Arizona. Never grew up with the stuff and never bought it when I went food shopping. And it didn't dawn on me that I could make it myself until a friend in Arizona bought avocados and did so in front of me. Nowadays an avocado with chipotle Tabasco sauce is my favorite complement to lunch.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I love avocado tomato and cheese sandwiches. I like guac, but prefer straight salsa on chips.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

fwiw, my wife regularly puts avocado in our salads.

Kind of funny related subject - if you ever see "California Burger" on a restaurant menu, it means it includes avocado.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

A_B wrote:Here's a random thought. The first time I had guacamole was when Daveinseattle made it at hood to coast. Hat was some good guac that got me hooked on the stuff. So thanks, dis!

Yes. I was 31 at the time. In a bubble.

Whoa, I'm older now than you were then wwwhhhhooooooaaaaoooooaaaaaaoaaaaaaa
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote:Here's a random thought. The first time I had guacamole was when Daveinseattle made it at hood to coast. Hat was some good guac that got me hooked on the stuff. So thanks, dis!
And that was the first time I had Woodford Reserve, so consider it a fair trade!

Good guac is so easy to make! Very simple....guac, cilantro, garlic, a touch of jalapeno and white onion. Don't go putting lime juice in it in the misguided notion that it will stop it from turning brown. Its the exposure to air that makes it turn brown. Guac doesn't keep...have to make it fresh every time.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Is that why lime juice is added? I thought it was for flavor. I like the lime juice and diced tomato variation. But I'll have to try yours.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote:Is that why lime juice is added? I thought it was for flavor. I like the lime juice and diced tomato variation. But I'll have to try yours.
Usually (at least what I've always heard). Rick Bayless, the master of Mexican Fine-Dining, puts lime juice in his (recipe here: Simple Guacamole, so who am I to argue with that, but I'm not a fan of the lime taste in my guacamole.

A little diced tomato is fine, if it works for you. Another good trick is to save some avocado and do a dice on it and stir it into the mashed up stuff. Makes the guac a little more "chunky".
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote:Kind of funny related subject - if you ever see "California Burger" on a restaurant menu, it means it includes avocado.
And if "California" is used as an adjective for other sandwiches, sprouts are likely also involved.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And suntan lotion in place of mayonnaise.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Why do radio broadcasters of a football game feel compelled to tell us "the Packers' offense is moving right-to-left", or some such? It is really meaningless to a radio listener. (And, obvious to a tv viewer.)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote:Why do radio broadcasters of a football game feel compelled to tell us "the Packers' offense is moving right-to-left", or some such? It is really meaningless to a radio listener. (And, obvious to a tv viewer.)
Helps paint the picture.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote:Why do radio broadcasters of a football game feel compelled to tell us "the Packers' offense is moving right-to-left", or some such? It is really meaningless to a radio listener. (And, obvious to a tv viewer.)
Yeah for radio only gonna disagree with you here.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I like it for hockey. Helps me orient my brain.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:I'm helping the third grader with a Black History month project. She has to write (fill out) a 6 page biography of 20s blues singer Bessie Smith. The project requires she draw a picture of the subject for all six pages. There are not that many pictures available of this particular early 20th century blues singer. I'm definitely including a US stamp, and debating including her tombstone.

My older kid had the same project (Stevie was her subject) and she was able to both print pictures and type up and print out the written portion, too.
My son has to read a biography of a famous person of his choice, and write a report. He chose Jackie Robinson, and the book must be dated, as my son's report kept referencing "colored people."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, dated 01-20-17.

(In case you've forgotten, that was the date of Trump's inauguration.)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I really can't stand having a teenager in my house anymore. Nothing but attitude and zits.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote:I really can't stand having a teenager in my house anymore. Nothing but attitude and zits.
No doubt. I was bragging about my kid recently in the Parent thread, but this sort of shit happens in my house, too.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote:I really can't stand having a teenager in my house anymore. Nothing but attitude and zits.
And semen.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I have two. Yuck
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

The Sybian wrote:
rass wrote:I'm helping the third grader with a Black History month project. She has to write (fill out) a 6 page biography of 20s blues singer Bessie Smith. The project requires she draw a picture of the subject for all six pages. There are not that many pictures available of this particular early 20th century blues singer. I'm definitely including a US stamp, and debating including her tombstone.

My older kid had the same project (Stevie was her subject) and she was able to both print pictures and type up and print out the written portion, too.
My son has to read a biography of a famous person of his choice, and write a report. He chose Jackie Robinson, and the book must be dated, as my son's report kept referencing "colored people."
My oldest daughter was in fourth grade when her class was assigned to choose characters to enact in a "wax museum." They dressed the part of their chosen famous person and gave a first person report. It was pretty cute.

My daughter was way into baseball at the time and chose Jackie Robinson. She was intrigued by the number 42 on the rightfield "Wall of Fame" at Comerica Park, to the right of the last names of several Tigers legends' and their retired numbers (except Cobb of course). Their statues stand directly above on the concourse. Robinson's number is up on the wall because it's retired in every park.

DCdaughter#1 did a wonderful job depicting Robinson's point of view as he broke into segregated major league ball. As long as you could suspend any disbelief due to the blond ponytale sticking out behind her cap. Parenting tip: cutting out "Dodgers" in script from a piece of felt to paste up on the front of the uniform is best done by talented artistic hands. I assigned myself the script "B" for her ballcap.

DCdaughter#1 is now at one of those elite leftist colleges. The other day we were discussing her wax museum project -- now a family legend. She told me she could never get away with choosing to depict Jackie Robinson today.

Cultural appropriation, verboten. I understand the argument. But she was the only kid in the class who chose a character that crossed over either racial or gender borders. The rest of the class stuck to "their" race and gender. It struck me at the time that the other kids were missing -- perhaps due to parental influence -- a rare chance to have a mild experience of seeing the world from the point of view of someone quite different than themselves. Silly me, how could that be educational?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I guess the true horror of cultural appropriation has yet to hit some portions of suburban NJ as the third graders at my daughter's elementary school are doing a wax museum next month. I believe a flapper dress and some feathers will be the extent of one tiny little white girl's transformation into Bessie Smith (who, some minor changes to hair length notwithstanding, looks almost exactly the fucking same in all of the at most a dozen or so pictures of her available so how the fuck does sancarlos expect a fucking third grader to draw six distinct fucking pictures of her).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

When I was younger...

"Cultural Appropriation" referred to an exploitative situation. Like borrowing from a traditional ethnic musical style (I believe the first time I heard the term was after Paul Simon's "Graceland" came out)

Pathetic that a gesture that is solely intended to honour someone is now considered offensive.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:I guess the true horror of cultural appropriation has yet to hit some portions of suburban NJ as the third graders at my daughter's elementary school are doing a wax museum next month. I believe a flapper dress and some feathers will be the extent of one tiny little white girl's transformation into Bessie Smith (who, some minor changes to hair length notwithstanding, looks almost exactly the fucking same in all of the at most a dozen or so pictures of her available so how the fuck does sancarlos expect a fucking third grader to draw six distinct fucking pictures of her).

Same thing here. In second grade, my son's class gave presentations on famous people, and dressed the part (wax museum?). There was a white Jackie Robinson and white Harriet Tubman, a Chinese George Washington with a thick accent and limited vocabulary, a Russian Oksana Baiul (highly controversial in Kiev), and others. Honestly, it never even dawned on me that this could be seen as inappropriate, and I'd be surprised if any of the mostly Liberal parents who attended did, either. How can presenting Jackie Robinson

I don't think the whole PC thing is nearly as bad or far reaching as the media and the Right make it out to be. The argument always pins the hyper-PC stuff on all Liberals, and I think it is a very small but vocal minority that push that crap. OTOH, truly racist people believe being called racist for saying and doing racist things is PC run amok. I'm seeing since Trump was elected, people saying they can finally say what they truly feel.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its all the dumbshit "anti-PC!" crowd saying "I bet someone would be offended by _______" and they count that as someone actually being offended.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Everyone's against political correctness...right up to the moment that their own ox gets gored.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This back and forth reminds me of the controversy with the mixed race parents in the Cheerios commercial.

The Fine Brothers did a react vid to it with a bunch of kids. And they reacted better than adults would.

As far as PC stuff, I'm always in constant eyeroll mode when I am constantly briefed/lectured about "what someone may think of the military" if I were to ever have a risque opinion on anything or use colorful language. Every situation is prefaced with "What if someone were walking by, heard what you said, and reacted to it?" And then I think about being in a profession where I'm indirectly responsible for killing people. Perspective is lost on some people. Yes, I'm aware of a line. But the arbitrary line, much, much closer than the real one, is what's imposed.

Or better yet, saying something in a group of people, and a reaction to it is "You know, someone can be offended by that. You shouldn't say it." And then you look around, no one is offended, and the person that says it becomes "offended" by proxy because you proved him/her wrong. An adult would either be offended or not -- not pull that bullshit. And yes again, I get that having behavior like that at work could lead to a decline in discipline, etc. But it's all context and intent. And, again as well, being in a job where you make sure the bad guys die.

Much easier to go with a zero tolerance policy because it's lazy than to have a grown up, nuanced discussion because some people can't handle reality and potential blowback.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote:Everyone's against political correctness...right up to the moment that their own ox gets gored.

Brian's tweet about bedwetters encapsulates the far right so perfectly in so many areas.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This feels very Groundhog's Day.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Dan Harmon was Periscoping his morning cardio workout on Twitter (yeah, I have no idea why or why I was watching) and it occurred to me that if I grew my hair and beard out I'd probably look just like him.

ETA: Not necessarily a good thing or self-aggrandizing observation as those of you who know what he looks like realize.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Everyone's against political correctness...right up to the moment that their own ox gets gored.

Brian's tweet about bedwetters encapsulates the far right so perfectly in so many areas.
What did he say?
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:
Ooh, I know! I know!

September 12, 2001.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:
Thanks, well done.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just sneezed all over my hand. If I were at work instead of working from home, that would have been a serious problem.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:J.zed all over my hand. If I were at work instead of working from home, that would have been a serious problem.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We had a guy apply for a software engineering position, and in the "Personal" section of his resume, he states that he is in a "progressive rock band with international exposure".

Damn right we are bringing him in for an interview.