Game of Thrones....

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: Game of Thrones....

Post by tennbengal »

No, the beef may be that Bran is the most crazed and power mad of all.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am No, the beef may be that Bran is the most crazed and power mad of all.
I think the only evidence of that is assumed incompetence on behalf of the writers. Certainly, there's nothing that actually happened on the show to make that conclusion.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Why didn't Bran see the ships laying in wait in the cove?

He did - he just didn't give a shit as he needed a second dragon dead.

I mean, he executed Hodor and damned Hodor to a lifetime of being simple prior to that. All means to an end. The end being Bran winning. Bran is savage.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am
tennbengal wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:15 am No, the beef may be that Bran is the most crazed and power mad of all.
I think the only evidence of that is assumed incompetence on behalf of the writers. Certainly, there's nothing that actually happened on the show to make that conclusion.
Bran sees all - and let that shit just go down. Bran is a monster.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think it's probably pushing it to say that Bran sees all. Yes, he CAN see a lot things - maybe not everything - but I think he's still subject to the constraints of time that the rest of us are. He isn't going to know every happening and every conversation and action of everyone in the story. It's just not feasible.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I was under the impression that in order to see the present, he had to either be at the place or be there as a warg.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:26 am I think it's probably pushing it to say that Bran sees all. Yes, he CAN see a lot things - maybe not everything - but I think he's still subject to the constraints of time that the rest of us are. He isn't going to know every happening and every conversation and action of everyone in the story. It's just not feasible.
Well, he quoted Littlefinger's "Chaos is a ladder" from a one to one conversation with varys.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:30 am
Shirley wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:26 am I think it's probably pushing it to say that Bran sees all. Yes, he CAN see a lot things - maybe not everything - but I think he's still subject to the constraints of time that the rest of us are. He isn't going to know every happening and every conversation and action of everyone in the story. It's just not feasible.
Well, he quoted Littlefinger's "Chaos is a ladder" from a one to one conversation with varys.
And he technically lost his memory after the fall, so "The things I do for love" line that he dropped when Jamie showed up is equally an "Oh, shit" moment.

Plus, he saw the fight at The Tower of Joy that allowed Jon to learn who he truly was.

The more you play it out, the more you realize that Bran truly is a savage like TB says. The problem is he was absent completely from season 5 and used sparingly in these last 2 seasons. So it looks like "Really, the cripple wins this shit?" when it should be all of us with the We-bey gif from The Wire with us thinking collectively "Oh fuck, that little cripple just won the throne and he's been riding on it the entire time."

But, better writing would've gotten us there. Mallory Rubin from The Ringer was like "Book Bran could totally pull off this, but TV Bran is a stretch."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 am
And he technically lost his memory after the fall, so "The things I do for love" line that he dropped when Jamie showed up is equally an "Oh, shit" moment.

Plus, he saw the fight at The Tower of Joy that allowed Jon to learn who he truly was.

The more you play it out, the more you realize that Bran truly is a savage like TB says. The problem is he was absent completely from season 5 and used sparingly in these last 2 seasons. So it looks like "Really, the cripple wins this shit?" when it should be all of us with the We-bey gif from The Wire with us thinking collectively "Oh fuck, that little cripple just won the throne and he's been riding on it the entire time."

But, better writing would've gotten us there. Mallory Rubin from The Ringer was like "Book Bran could totally pull off this, but TV Bran is a stretch."

I think this is good point. Listened to a breakdown at lunch and those guys were mostly pissed that you could make the case that you guys just made in terms of the strings Bran pulled, but the show just didn't do enough to point us in that direction.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 pm
Johnnie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 am

I think this is good point. Listened to a breakdown at lunch and those guys were mostly pissed that you could make the case that you guys just made in terms of the strings Bran pulled, but the show just didn't do enough to point us in that direction.
Assumes facts not in evidence as the lawyers might say. If you (the royal you, no pun intended) really wanted to play pedant, why didn't Bran just warg into Drogon while Dany was sleeping and incinerate her to save Jon the trouble of regicide? You could play a million of those stupid games by just ignoring everything that actually happened on-screen.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

phxgators wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:52 am
Shirley wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:00 pm I did really want Jaime to find Cersei and kill her though. I hated that he went out like a bitch. If indeed he did go out.
Yeah, that's what I was waiting for too... The episode was fun to watch, but I didn't really like it. There are just too many loose ends at this point, with just the finale left. They could have trimmed the dragons destroying the city in half and still had plenty of destruction, then spend that time on other characters.
I just watched the last two episodes today, so I'm catching up on this thread.

I wanted Arya to get to gut Cersei. Maybe have Jaime in the middle with conflicting emotions. Arya had nothing to do in the end except (as somebody noted) to marvel at the war crimes.

And what sense is even having a Night Watch anymore? No wight walkers. The wildlings/free folk are their friends now. I guess that is just a euphemism for exiling Jon to the North?

And, no fucking way all those lords just acclaim Bran Stark as King, and Tyrion as Hand. Grey Worm would have stabbed Tyrion in the neck before he let that happen. It was the last episode anyway, so that would have been some fun chaos.
Last edited by sancarlos on Wed May 22, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:27 am I was under the impression that in order to see the present, he had to either be at the place or be there as a warg.
I was under the impression that Bran could see all history but not future.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

In the book, Bran has visions of the future, but I don't think they're always clear or complete. And probably not set in stone either. He does have the ability to go back and see history, but again, he can't reasonably see everything. There's only so much time. I think he picks critical moments, like the Tower of Joy. In fact, doesn't the original Three Eyed Raven take him there?
Totally Kafkaesque
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Did they ever tell us where Bran wandered off to when his eyes rolled back during the battle with the dead? Overall, I enjoyed watching the series, but I had high expectations for the story telling and I think that's where I'm disappointed. A long developing, detailed, fascinating, (often confusing) story transformed into a violent soap opera with characters making stupid decisions. I get the arguments people are making here that this was how the story was supposed to play out overall (and the self-imposed limitations), but I think better writing and plotting decisions would have improved the show.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 pm Did they ever tell us where Bran wandered off to when his eyes rolled back during the battle with the dead? Overall, I enjoyed watching the series, but I had high expectations for the story telling and I think that's where I'm disappointed. A long developing, detailed, fascinating, (often confusing) story transformed into a violent soap opera with characters making stupid decisions. I get the arguments people are making here that this was how the story was supposed to play out overall (and the self-imposed limitations), but I think better writing and plotting decisions would have improved the show.
Many have suggested he warged into some crows that were flying around. I suppose that's what they meant to happen, but it really wasn't 1000% clear from the episode unless you were expecting it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

but I think better writing and plotting decisions would have improved the show.
On that there is universal and vigorous agreement.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

https://m.imgur.com/r/HighQualityGifs/KpOrSbE

This won't embed. Laaaaame. It's funny.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh man. This is so good. (Play with sound on.)

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Its midly amusing to go back and read the first couple of pages of this thread...wow, were we wrong about where the show was going.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.