SWAMPER BOWL III OR THEREABOUTS

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: SWAMPER BOWL III OR THEREABOUTS

Post by L-Jam3 »

I thought Amare left after high school... but I didn't realize he graduated at 20. For a second I thought when I saw a wrong answer he was Eddy Curry II.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Q8 - Name any venue that hosted the Men's Division 1 Basketball Final Four in the 1990s (10)

CORRECT ANSWERS
McNichols Sports Arena (1) - Rush
Charlotte Coliseum (2) - Junkyard, Ljam
Continental Airlines Arena (2) - AB, Rass
RCA Dome (2) -DC, Sybian
Kingdome (2) - Sancarlos, Wlulax
Metrodome (2) - Bensell, Diamond
Alamodome (5) - Alex, Bengal, Carwash, Giff, TT
Superdome (5) - Brian, Jerloma, Sabo, Shirley, Trav

INCORRECT ANSWERS (10)
Georgia Dome - Cerrano, Cheddah
Cowboys Stadium/AT&T - Degen, PDX
Madison Square Garden - BSF, SL
Silverdome - BFJ

LEFTOVERS
Tropicana Field

THRU 8
29 Shirley
32 Alex
34 Rush
41 wlulax
42 BFJ
43 SL
44 Bengal
45 AB
46 Bensell
48 Junkyard
49 Jerloma
50 Ljam
51 Brian
51 Trav
51 Sybian
52 Giff
54 DC
54 TT
54 BSF
54 Degen
55 Rass
55 Cerrano
60 Diamond
61 Sancarlos
65 Sabo
66 Carwash
72 Cheddah
79 PDX
106 Bronto
106 Pruitt
106 Fluff
106 Keg
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Q9 - Give any full team name once used, but no longer used, by a current NHL franchise (15)
NOTE: Be sure to answer with both location and nickname. Must be part of the lineage of a CURRENT NHL team - no defunct franchises. Any difference in the official team name from what is currently used qualifies it for the list

CORRECT ANSWERS
Phoenix Coyotes (1) - Diamond
Winnipeg Jets (1) - Cheddah
Kansas City Scouts (1) - Degen
Atlanta Thrashers (1) - Junkyard
Atlanta Flames (2) - AB, Trav
Colorado Rockies (2) - Rush, Sancarlos
Toronto St. Pats (2) - Ljam, Rass
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (3) - BFJ, Brian, BSF
Quebec Nordiques (3) - Carwash, Sabo, SL
Hartford Whalers (3) - Alex, Bensell, DC
Minnesota North Stars (7) - Bengal, Giff, Jerloma, PDX, Shirley, TT, Wlulax

INCORRECT ANSWERS (12)
Dallas Stars - Cerrano
Long Island Ducks - Sybian

LEFTOVERS
Chicago Black_Hawks
Detroit Falcons
Detroit Cougars
Toronto Arenas

THRU 9
35 Alex
36 Rush
36 Shirley
45 BFJ
46 SL
47 AB
48 wlulax
49 Bensell
49 Junkyard
51 Bengal
52 Ljam
53 Trav
54 Brian
55 Degen
56 Jerloma
57 DC
57 Rass
57 BSF
59 Giff
61 Diamond
61 TT
63 Sancarlos
63 Sybian
67 Cerrano
68 Sabo
69 Carwash
73 Cheddah
86 PDX
118 Bronto
118 Pruitt
118 Fluff
118 Keg

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Looks like my boys are getting whupped pretty good out there. But in the interests of defending the rep of my new NBA man-crush, the unspellable one, Antetokounmp..., Basketball Reference seems to confirm that he had more than 432 rebounds as a teenager. Note that he didn't turn 20 until this December.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Q10 - Name any player with at least 75 regular-season receptions for the Patriots or the Seahawks over the last 5 seasons (14)

CORRECT ANSWERS
Marshawn Lynch (1) - Rass
Zach Miller (1) - Wlulax
Sidney Rice (1) - Diamond
Shane Vereen (1) - Rush
Mike Williams (1) - SL
Doug Baldwin (2) - BSF, Sancarlos
Julian Edelman (2) - Sabo, Shirley
Danny Woodhead (2) - Bengal, DC
Rob Gronkowski (3) - BFJ, Degen, Trav
Aaron Hernandez (3) - Alex, Bensell, Giff
Golden Tate (3) - AB, Brian, PDX
Wes Welker (5) - Carwash, Jerloma, Junkyard, Sybian, TT

INCORRECT ANSWERS (10)
Percy Harvin - Cheddah
Randy Moss - Cerrano
Steven Ridley - Ljam

LEFTOVERS
Deion Branch
Danny Amendola

FINAL
37 Rush
38 Alex
38 Shirley
47 SL
48 BFJ
49 wlulax
50 AB
52 Bensell
53 Bengal
54 Junkyard
56 Trav
57 Brian
58 Rass
58 Degen
59 DC
59 BSF
61 Jerloma
62 Diamond
62 Giff
62 Ljam
65 Sancarlos
66 TT
68 Sybian
70 Sabo
74 Carwash
77 Cerrano
83 Cheddah
89 PDX
128 Bronto
128 Pruitt
128 Fluff
128 Keg

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DC47 wrote:Looks like my boys are getting whupped pretty good out there. But in the interests of defending the rep of my new NBA man-crush, the unspellable one, Antetokounmp..., Basketball Reference seems to confirm that he had more than 432 rebounds as a teenager. Note that he didn't turn 20 until this December.
Whoa, yeah. Hold on.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Winnipeg Jets is on one hand no longer used by a current NHL franchise, but on the other hand is used by a current NHL franchise.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote: HALF
16 Shirley
Really? Too bad I didn't even make the playoffs.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ryan wrote:
DC47 wrote:Looks like my boys are getting whupped pretty good out there. But in the interests of defending the rep of my new NBA man-crush, the unspellable one, Antetokounmp..., Basketball Reference seems to confirm that he had more than 432 rebounds as a teenager. Note that he didn't turn 20 until this December.
Whoa, yeah. Hold on.
Exciting...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Oh the controversy!
Hold on, I'm trying to see if Jack London ever gets this fire built or not.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Just your average 17 point swing to win a championship...

37 Rush
38 Alex
38 Shirley
42 DC
47 SL
48 BFJ
49 wlulax
50 AB
52 Bensell
53 Bengal
54 Junkyard
56 Trav
57 Brian
58 Rass
58 Degen
59 BSF
61 Jerloma
62 Diamond
62 Giff
62 Ljam
65 Sancarlos
66 TT
68 Sybian
70 Sabo
74 Carwash
77 Cerrano
83 Cheddah
89 PDX
128 Bronto
128 Pruitt
128 Fluff
128 Keg

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

That hockey question just makes me sad. I knew the Detroit RedWings had a prior name, before even I was born. I thought it was a raptor, based on a vague memory of someone's retro jersey. Due to my girls, I am deeply into raptors (and the local raptor rescue scene) so I know a dozen names. I ruled out Hawks due to Chicago, and several others due to obscurity or being vultures. That left me with Falcons, Owls, and Eagles.

I leaned Falcons, but wasn't sure. So I went the safe route with the Hartford Whalers. But I almost got a 1 point answer to a hockey question in the same contest where I also got a 1 point answer to a modern entertainment question. This is now my SwampCrash highlight. And tragedy.
Last edited by DC47 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I gotta run but if anyone finds anything else wrong, let me know.

Congrats and sorry for fucking that one up.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DC47 wrote:That hockey question just makes me sad. I knew the Detroit RedWings had a prior name, before even I was born. I thought it was a raptor, based on a vague memory of someone's retro jersey. Due to my girls, I am deeply into raptors (and the local raptor rescue scene) so I know a dozen names. I ruled out Hawks due to Chicago, and several others due to obscurity or being vultures. That left me with Falcons, Owls, and Eagles.

So I went the safe route with the Hartford Whalers. But I almost got a 1 point answer to a hockey question in the same contest where I got a 1 point answer to a modern entertainment question. This is now my SwampCrash highlight. And tragedy.

Shut up. You just won Swamper Bowl III, what are you going to do next?
boxcar
Jackie Treehorn

Post by boxcar »

Ryan wrote:I gotta run but if anyone finds anything else wrong, let me know.

Congrats and sorry for fucking that one up.
That's what Goodell should have gone with.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

What drama! Top that, NFL.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I'm pretty sure that on Q8 I answered Hoosier Dome. I am the loyal spouse to a Hoosier. However, you gave me credit for a 2 pointer with "RCA Dome."

Off to lunch. I'll check back in later to see whether the flags get picked up, the balls re-inflated, and the DUIs waived off.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Someone needs to sand lu_lax's name off the cup (it was probably misspelled anyway)!

Congrats DC, and thanks turd for a great season. This was awesome.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DC47 wrote:I'm pretty sure that on Q8 I answered Hoosier Dome. I am the loyal spouse to a Hoosier. However, you gave me credit for a 2 pointer with "RCA Dome."

Off to lunch. I'll check back in later to see whether the flags get picked up, the balls re-inflated, and the DUIs waived off.
Am a Hoosier. Same stadium. Some of us never stopped calling it the Hoosier Dome.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

good game
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

BSF21 wrote:
DC47 wrote:I'm pretty sure that on Q8 I answered Hoosier Dome. I am the loyal spouse to a Hoosier. However, you gave me credit for a 2 pointer with "RCA Dome."

Am a Hoosier. Same stadium. Some of us never stopped calling it the Hoosier Dome.
I thought they blew up the Hoosier Dome, and replaced it with that foul Lucas Oil thing. But I don't remember when. I'm also not at all sure that they played the finals in the Hoosier Dome during that tmie frame. Maybe it was Lucas Oil. Only that they did sometime around then. And I know that I didn't give RCA Dome as an answer. I don't even think I knew there was one. Did they rename the legendary Hoosier Dome before demo-ing it?

BSF, as a real Hoosier rather than just an in-law like me, I have a question. In my wife's family "Hoosier" was a term used with a bit of sarcasm. I remember when we were out in the woods, scouting a route for a rails-to-trails project near Bloomington when we came apon a guy in camo shooting at bottles in the creekbed, with conspicuous alcohol present. "Now that's a Hoosier" was the comment from my IU professor father-in-law (who was from Cleveland and had a Harvard PhD). I'm curious as to whether Hoosier is widely used in kind of a joking, pejorative way by many from Indiana? Kind of the way 'redneck' is used among my family in the south.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Wlu, that was a fun one. I'd say it's not quite over yet, as I'm turning myself in on a potential violation re: the under-inflated Hoosier Dome.

I'm going to have to look up quite a few of your one-pointers. I'm not even sure that several of Demian Bechir, Zach Miller, and Billy Eichner even exist. And San Bernardino sure didn't seem to have 100K residents when i was trying to hitch-hike out of that god-forsaken pit in the 70s. Not unless you count sagebrush. People actually have moved there?
Last edited by DC47 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jesus.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DC47 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

I thought they blew up the Hoosier Dome, and replaced it with that foul Lucas Oil thing. But I don't remember when. I'm also not at all sure that they played the finals in the Hoosier Dome during that tmie frame. Maybe it was Lucas Oil. Only that they did sometime around then. And I know that I didn't give RCA Dome as an answer. I don't even think I knew there was one. Did they rename the legendary Hoosier Dome before demo-ing it?

BSF, as a real Hoosier rather than just an in-law like me, I have a question. In my wife's family "Hoosier" was a term used with a bit of sarcasm. I remember when we were out in the woods, scouting a route for a rails-to-trails project near Bloomington when we came apon a guy in camo shooting at bottles in the creekbed, with conspicuous alcohol present. "Now that's a Hoosier" was the comment from my IU professor father-in-law (who was from Cleveland and had a Harvard PhD). I'm curious as to whether Hoosier is widely used in kind of a joking, pejorative way by many from Indiana? Kind of the way 'redneck' is used among my family in the south.
Hoosierdome became RCA Dome. It was demolished, but not until after hosting the Final Four in 97 I believe that UK lost.

Lucas Oil is a different stadium alltogether.

I answered "Meadowlands" for the 96 Final Four, not knowing what the current name is.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DC47 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

RCA bought the rights to the Dome in the mid 90s, it was then blow'd up after the construction of Lucas Oil Barnbox Incorporated.

I myself have never taken the term "hoosier" as an insult. It's the namesake state university basketball team, so I've always kinda lumped it in with you calling someone from Wisconsin a Badger or someone from Ohio a Buckeye. If you ask me what I call myself hailing from Indiana, I'd say Hoosier, as would I'd guess 499/500 others. (What's the actual term here? Indian-ian? Indianite? Herein lies the real problem!) The problem in your story here is you came across a hybrid. A "hoosier" that also was a "Southern Indiana man". Those dudes are total hoosiers.

BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

AB_skin_test wrote:
DC47 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

Hoosierdome became RCA Dome. It was demolished, but not until after hosting the Final Four in 97 I believe that UK lost.

I answered "Meadowlands" for the 96 Final Four, not knowing what the current name is.

The fact that I missed this pains me. I waffled, but thought that we only got the Final Four after we built Conseco Fieldhouse. Good thing it didn't matter.

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

DC47 wrote:And San Bernardino sure didn't seem to have 100K residents when i was trying to hitch-hike out of that god-forsaken pit in the 70s. Not unless you count sagebrush. People actually have moved there?
This is a shock to me, that The Cucamonga is such a large metropolis.

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

howard wrote:
DC47 wrote:And San Bernardino sure didn't seem to have 100K residents when i was trying to hitch-hike out of that god-forsaken pit in the 70s. Not unless you count sagebrush. People actually have moved there?
This is a shock to me, that The Cucamonga is such a large metropolis.

Just about every city in Southern California has 100K+ these days.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

There was at least one mention above, but this needs to turn into an extended Ryan appreciation thread for pulling this all together.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Genuinely made my fall.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Damnit! Got my picks in late, and I would have killed it!

Not that it matters, but didn't want you guys to think I quit on the Swampcrash.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

AB_skin_test wrote:
DC47 wrote:
BSF21 wrote:

I was at that Final Four. As well as the 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995 & 1998 ones.

Thanks for the season Ryan. Thinking about putting an NCAA style bracket SwampCrash that's single elimination if we can get 32 players again.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Holy crap, I always thought the Islanders were called the Ducks their first NFL season, then changed names to Islanders. Apparently, the Ducks were a minor league team, and the Isles never went by the name. Mind. Blown.

Thanks for a great season, Ryan. Completely appreciate the time and effort you put into this, and still love this game.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt