The Walking Dead - Season 5

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

The Walking Dead - Season 5

Post by Shirley »

Wow. Hell of a start to the season. That slaughter scene might have been the darkest one yet on that show.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Re: The Walking Dead - Season 5

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:Wow. Hell of a start to the season. That slaughter scene might have been the darkest one yet on that show.
Yea. That was intense. As was the scene with the kid threatening to break Lil' Asskicker's neck.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It still bothers me that people can just rub zombie blood on them and be invisible.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Shirley wrote:Wow. Hell of a start to the season. That slaughter scene might have been the darkest one yet on that show.
Yeah that was nuts. It's always more gruesome when it's human on human violence. But they did seem to have a good system going there, if you're into slaughtering and eating humans. Great episode to start the season, Carol kicks ass! And that dude at the end that was picking a girl to rape from the trailer in the flashback is the new Bad guy! His name is Negan and he's from the comic! I think he could be worse than the Governor. Should be a good season.

Or at least I hope it's Negan, they said they were going back to the comic storyline.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

howard wrote:Kirkman says 'nope':

http://lightlybuzzed.com/2014/10/13/wal ... -premiere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/RobertKirkman/statu ... 5909949440
Damn it! Well, he was dressed the same! I guess they did that to screw with the fans that read the comic. that sucks.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I was thinking about that last scene and the whole Then and Now part. What was the necessity of that? To give posthumous depth to the bad guys? Was the intent for us to feel bad for them?

That's somewhat admirable, I guess, but it seemed sort of a waste of screen time - the sort of thing an editor would take out. Unless of course, we're not really done with them. It didn't look like Rick killed the head dude with that shot.
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I thought it was Negan also. I thought the girl he pulled out even yelled "no Negan". But i was high so...

Great episode.

I loved the little drop in by Morgan at the end. The first kid who was killed at the trough was the hippy guy that Rick and Carol met. The guy he gave the watch to, right?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Shirley wrote:I was thinking about that last scene and the whole Then and Now part. What was the necessity of that? To give posthumous depth to the bad guys? Was the intent for us to feel bad for them?

That's somewhat admirable, I guess, but it seemed sort of a waste of screen time - the sort of thing an editor would take out. Unless of course, we're not really done with them. It didn't look like Rick killed the head dude with that shot.
Yeah, you're right, waste of screen time unless they explore their story more. And no that guy is not dead, he survived with a bunch of others, that's why Rick wanted to go back and kill them. So, I'm thinking they aren't done with them. But I'm hoping we don't get a season long flashback story on Terminus, cause half (more or less) of them are now dead. But I did read somewhere that they were planning a companion show for AMC, with a whole other group of characters. But I can't see them having a cannibalistic group as it's focal point.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

bfj wrote:I thought it was Negan also. I thought the girl he pulled out even yelled "no Negan". But i was high so...

Great episode.

I loved the little drop in by Morgan at the end. The first kid who was killed at the trough was the hippy guy that Rick and Carol met. The guy he gave the watch to, right?

You mean the guy in that abandoned town? I thought him and his girlfriend got killed? or was it just his girlfriend?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TheHumanComa wrote:
bfj wrote:I thought it was Negan also. I thought the girl he pulled out even yelled "no Negan". But i was high so...

Great episode.

You mean the guy in that abandoned town? I thought him and his girlfriend got killed? or was it just his girlfriend?
Yeah, that's who I mean.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

bfj wrote:
TheHumanComa wrote:

Great episode.

Yeah, that's who I mean.
Yup, i think you're right, watching it again right now. He looks at Rick like he knows him.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

TheHumanComa wrote:
bfj wrote:
TheHumanComa wrote:

Great episode.

Yeah, that's who I mean.
Yup, i think you're right, watching it again right now. He looks at Rick like he knows him.

It was Sam. They discussed on Talking Dead. Flew him in specifically to shoot that one scene.

I also got fooled thinking it was Negan, but that said, have faith. Negan will show up, it's only a matter of time. My question is how are you going to put a character on AMC whose entire vocabulary is variations on the word fuck? I worry about them being able to do it justice.

Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I finally watched it last night and it was a great start to the season - so glad it's back.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't think I would have recognized that Sam guy without others pointing it out. It does explain Carol's looking at that watch. I just assumed it was one of their watches, but forgot that Rick had given his to that hippie dude. It's an odd callback, considering that that guy was in only one episode and they led us to believe he died at the end of that episode.

Are they trying to hard to throw in Easter Eggs?
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The other Tidbit I read about today was that the guy in the train car that Glen sets free is the same guy that I thought was Negan at the end.

Can't confirm that though. I haven't re watched the episode.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

bfj wrote:The other Tidbit I read about today was that the guy in the train car that Glen sets free is the same guy that I thought was Negan at the end.

Can't confirm that though. I haven't re watched the episode.
See above. Kirkman and Gimple confirmed that was not Negan.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...I stopped watching after season 2 and mostly followed along with re-caps etc for last two seasons. I have found the need to center each season around one area (prison, terminus, farm) for budget reasons to be really constraining, but figured I would give it a chance now that Terminus is blown up.

I am still frustrated by the lack of a sense of purpose or plan. And frustrated that there has to always been a greater human evil for the foil.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Is Gabriel going to need to spontaneously sprout a third leg at some point in order to fully maintain the show's Law of Conservation of Black Dudes?

tennbengal wrote:I am still frustrated by the lack of a sense of purpose or plan.
Well you should be happy with this past episode. If L'il Anchor (I knew Tyrese didn't kill that guy) says she's going to DC, they're all going to DC.

tennbengal wrote:And frustrated that there has to always been a greater human evil for the foil.
Then you're probably watching the wrong show. "The living are the real monsters" seems to be a (if not the) underlying theme of the show, no?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Then you're probably watching the wrong show. "The living are the real monsters" seems to be a (if not the) underlying theme of the show, no?
Yup.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yeah, I get that. But it's not exactly a ground-breaking take. Yes, people are shitty. Even post-zombie apocalypse. Still would like there to be more for them to do then wander around dealing with being shitty and having shitty things done to them. Like I said, I checked out a few seasons ago. I will give it a look now that they are moved on from Terminus, but hate that they are still dealing with the cannibals angle.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

TB, they were only in Terminus for like 2 episodes. They just got there at the end of last season. There was no cannibal angle prior to Terminus.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Still would like there to be more for them to do then wander around dealing with being shitty and having shitty things done to them.
I'm with you on this. I really like the show, but I also don't want to spend a couple of weeks watching Bob get tortured. Maybe it's because it feels like there can't/won't be an ultimately happy ending on this show.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote:TB, they were only in Terminus for like 2 episodes. They just got there at the end of last season. There was no cannibal angle prior to Terminus.
I understand, 'loma. I just don't find that storyline very compelling at this point.

I guess what I want for that show I can't have, as AMC likes to keep them in one area per season to cut down on location costs. But, damn, there's a wide world to encounter. The writing could be so much better if they had more literal room for the stories.

Maybe they will make a run for DC, I would like that, just to goose the story-telling.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:
tennbengal wrote: Still would like there to be more for them to do then wander around dealing with being shitty and having shitty things done to them.
I'm with you on this. I really like the show, but I also don't want to spend a couple of weeks watching Bob get tortured. Maybe it's because it feels like there can't/won't be an ultimately happy ending on this show.
Yeah, def don't want to see them eat Bob piece by piece. What's the point?

Thinking more on my general irritation with the constrained nature of the story-telling, I guess my favorite parts of The Stand were the long sections where people were travelling to get somewhere as opposed to when they actually got there. Not that the Boulder nation-state building wasn't interesting, just didn't hold the interest like the passages where King described the trips through the recent ruins of civilization. Walking Dead has a recently ruined civilization to shoot in and play with for stories, and we spend a lot of time on stuff that feels too familiar (again, that people are awful to each other isn't really a thing that the viewer needs to have drilled into their heads I don't think...)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I don't mean to say it's not good TV, it is. I just wish for more from the story.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Re: Bob

First off, they didn't need to show the foot in the fire at the end. It was way cooler when they just showed the leg while the guy was eating it.

Do you think he got bit when he got pulled underwater? Why was he so upset out by the tree before he got knocked out? If he did, what do you think would be the ramifications of them eating him?

I thought Bob got bit before and he said the walker got him right on a bandage he already had there but I thought for sure he was lying.

I don't trust Bob.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm not sure on Bob. Do you remember when they showed a brief flashback for him last (I think) season? He had taken to living on his own because every group he had been with had been killed off, leaving him as the lone survivor. I was thinking he could have just been either finally really happy, or upset because he knows it won't last. Except the "give me one more kiss" request to Sasha really goes to the "he got bit theory", but that would make him a major dick for endangering the entire group because he has no idea when he is going to turn.

I hope he does turn and eats Gareth or at least the Tigers fan that Tyrese neglected to kill.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Can you infect someone prior to turning (or by kissing them)?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I feel like I should have seen the "split them back up" storylines coming (more the Daryl and Carol one than Bob) as soon as everyone was reunited. The "car that took Beth" part seemed like a storyline/character motivation of convenience to pull those two away for a long time and create a second major storyline.

And, yeah, Bob probably got bit when he was pulled under the water. That seems to be a viable explanation for him going outside and being distraught while everyone was having what amounts to a party inside the church (and all I could think is "why are Bob, Daryl, and Carol sneaking outside").

Regarding the "You'll burn for this" (or whatever) carved on the outside of the church, it certainly seems like Gabriel's secret is that he locked some friends/church members/whomever outside the church when they were trying to get in (claw marks likely when the walkers were approaching). Obviously, it was for his own selfish needs (survive longer with only one person eating all those delicious canned goods), but that seems to be his terrible secret.

Bengal, if they do set off for DC (and they can't imagine they will for a few episodes because they are split up again), something will inevitably cause the bus to break (an accident) or break down and they will find a building to hang out in for a while (again, for the budget reasons you cite).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I feel like I should have seen the "split them back up" storylines coming (more the Daryl and Carol one than Bob) as soon as everyone was reunited. The "car that took Beth" part seemed like a storyline/character motivation of convenience to pull those two away for a long time and create a second major storyline.
I think that might end up having something to do with the priest. Wasn't there a cross on the back of the car?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jerloma wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:I feel like I should have seen the "split them back up" storylines coming (more the Daryl and Carol one than Bob) as soon as everyone was reunited. The "car that took Beth" part seemed like a storyline/character motivation of convenience to pull those two away for a long time and create a second major storyline.
I think that might end up having something to do with the priest. Wasn't there a cross on the back of the car?
There was a cross on the back window and that was how Daryl recognized it being the car that Beth got taken away in. Seemed more like an ambulance cross (both the horizontal and vertical lines were the same length and were wider that the longer vertical line of the traditional religious cross). Image of that car (from when Beth was kidnapped - date of the accompanying article is from March 2014, talking about last season finale) and the cross is very faint.

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Just watched last night. How obvious was it that something was going to happen to Bob by the end? Black minor character suddenly gets a lot of lines, shows an unnatural optimism and a budding romance. Yeah dude, you were striking out on all levels.

I'm with Bengal a bit that the show has seemed to go in too many cycles. The pretty boy cannibal is essentially The Governor 2.0.

Also, I don't really get the idiocy of:
A) stopping and having a party not too far from Terminus. They know those folks are probably after them, right?
B) allowing Carol, Darryl, and Bob to all - separately! - to sneak off an go outside at night. Shouldn't that be a pretty obvious No No by now?
C) nobody standing guard outside? How in the hell could that happen, especially now that they have a pretty large group again.

Ah, it's a fun show, but it really seems like they could make it better with less lazy writers.
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Governor clearly had a human side to him. He was a far more complex character than Terminus pretty boy.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The Governor from the comics was pretty outstanding as well. Even more evil than the TV one.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Hunters was a very brief storyline in the comics which is what your Terminus folks seem to be. Don't get too wrapped up. I think this season is a means to get us to Negan.

TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Shirley wrote:Just watched last night. How obvious was it that something was going to happen to Bob by the end? Black minor character suddenly gets a lot of lines, shows an unnatural optimism and a budding romance. Yeah dude, you were striking out on all levels.

I'm with Bengal a bit that the show has seemed to go in too many cycles. The pretty boy cannibal is essentially The Governor 2.0.

Also, I don't really get the idiocy of:
A) stopping and having a party not too far from Terminus. They know those folks are probably after them, right?
B) allowing Carol, Darryl, and Bob to all - separately! - to sneak off an go outside at night. Shouldn't that be a pretty obvious No No by now?
C) nobody standing guard outside? How in the hell could that happen, especially now that they have a pretty large group again.

Ah, it's a fun show, but it really seems like they could make it better with less lazy writers.
Yeah. Bob was asking for it. but i think he walked away by himself and cried because he was bitten, why would he walk away from his girl otherwise, they were inseparable at the beginning of the episode. Those Cannibals just ate infected leg.

SPOILER - This little Bob-b-q episode is such a small chapter in the comics. and it isn't bob they eat. but there is a four issue comic span of dudes taking one person from Rick's group to eat. They aren't the bad guys in this season!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Honestly, I think you guys are all on crack who think there's something mundane about the "humans being their own enemy" angle. There's nothing that interesting about zombies. If the whole show was just escaping and killing zombies, it wouldn't last a season. There's nothing even inherently evil about zombies. By all accounts, they are just the result of a failed science project. A zombie wanting to eat a human should conjure up the same amount of contempt as a fox wanting to eat a rabbit.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Jerloma wrote:Honestly, I think you guys are all on crack who think there's something mundane about the "humans being their own enemy" angle. There's nothing that interesting about zombies. If the whole show was just escaping and killing zombies, it wouldn't last a season. There's nothing even inherently evil about zombies. By all accounts, they are just the result of a failed science project. A zombie wanting to eat a human should conjure up the same amount of contempt as a fox wanting to eat a rabbit.
Who said that? You're 100% right with what you are saying but i don't remember anyone complaining in this thread, unless i missed a few posts... checking now...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

TheHumanComa wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Honestly, I think you guys are all on crack who think there's something mundane about the "humans being their own enemy" angle. There's nothing that interesting about zombies. If the whole show was just escaping and killing zombies, it wouldn't last a season. There's nothing even inherently evil about zombies. By all accounts, they are just the result of a failed science project. A zombie wanting to eat a human should conjure up the same amount of contempt as a fox wanting to eat a rabbit.
Who said that? You're 100% right with what you are saying but i don't remember anyone complaining in this thread, unless i missed a few posts... checking now...
Mostly TB, but it's the lack of disdain for his position that befuddles me.

This specifically...
And frustrated that there has to always been a greater human evil for the foil.