The Walking Dead - Season 5

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Re: The Walking Dead - Season 5

Post by Bensell »

Jerloma wrote:Thoughts:

Rick is gonna fuck this up for everyone.

If not, then Sasha is gonna fuck this up for everyone.

Why does seeing a horse getting zombied disturb me more than humans?

Is Darryl maybe gonna get gay with the gays?

Oh man...that Carol scene going all Lizzie on the kid was tremendous.
Very different sort of episode that I really liked.

I agree that Rick is going to fuck this up, but I almost think he wants to. The horse getting killed was heartbreaking. I don't think Darryl is going to switch sides, but I do think he is going to ally with them against some other faction of the group. And Carol was f'n scary as always; loved the fear of G-d she put in the kid.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Bensell wrote:And Carol was f'n scary as always; loved the fear of G-d she put in the kid.
what bothered me was how could the kid have tracked Carol ?
Even assuming he knows Carol is Ms Cookies, we saw her leave, Jessie shows up and talks with Rick for 3 minutes, the kid stamps Rick and then someone calls him so he dashes inside the living room. Yet somehow he managed to follow Carol in those dark streets.

And yeah I do realize getting upset on plotholes or plot-driven stupidity is a lost fight on this show but still.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Oh Noah...we hardly knew ye. Looks like the priest is the next TBG on the list.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Jerloma wrote:Oh Noah...we hardly knew ye. Looks like the priest is the next TBG on the list.
They have to introduce another black guy before they can kill Gabriel. Black Highlander Theory.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Anyone else guessing Gabriel's warning is a ruse? Maybe Rick sent him to Deanna.

I don't think it is, but I am considering the possibility.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Ugh. Thought for sure someone was going to accidentally put a bullet through Carl's head after they announced he was going to be on Talking Dead. Crazy Rick would have taken it to a level we haven't seen before.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The top ten things that happened on finale last night, ranked in order of awesome (Spoiler alert - Carol wins):

10. "You said you don't want to take this place and don't want to lie. Awww...Sunshine you don't get both."

9. Rick killing that walker by caving his head in with his bare hands.

8. Michonne putting her machete back where it belongs.

7. Abraham's defense of Rick: "There is a vast ocean of shit out there that you people don't know shit about. Rick knows every fine grain of said shit and then some."

6. "Because these people are children, and children like stories."

5. Morgan treating the Wolves like Mr Miyagi treats Cobra Kai that mess with Daniel San.

4. "You know I could kill you if I want to."

3. Daryl decapitating 3 walkers at once with a swing of a giant chain.

2. The amount of time between Deanna saying "Do it" and Rick pulling the trigger.

1. "And I want my dish back clean when you're done."

Does the Swamp even watch this anymore? Fucking awesome season.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

#2. I want to check the replay, but I'm not sure I didn't hear the gunshot before she said "it". Need electronic timing for that.

Herding Walkers w/a techno dance party.

Red Poncho Guy was missing his Federation (star trek) insignia.

Fucking Father Gabriel. Just a fucking waste.

"How many of you am I going to have to kill to save your lives?"

Hey Glenn, nigga shot you, no second, err third chances.

and, best of all:

spinoff - Zombies, Los Angeles! Coming this summer.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Didn't watch the finale until last night and it was 90 minutes of pure awesomeness. One of the guys that usually watches it with us couldn't make so we are going to watch it again tomorrow night and I'm psyched to see what little things jump out at me this viewing.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Carol character is just fascinating. This is a woman that lit two people on fire because they were sick, lured a little girl into a tulip patch so she could shoot her execution style, overturned Terminus with a pistol and a bottle rocket, drenched in zombie guts and she's all like...

"People like me; people like us. We need people like Rick Grimes."

Rick Grimes exiled her for being too crazy! It's just brilliant.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jerloma wrote:The Carol character is just fascinating.
Doesn't. Like. Doctors.

Well, I don't like wife-beating porchdick surgeons either. But I do this, and they call hospital security.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

After watching the last half dozen episodes of the season over the last couple weeks, it's still the same show. Non-developed characters do things (Sasha, Gabriel), but since they are sketches of people, it's hard to invest in them. The characters who are established still are manipulated as lot devices so "things happen".

After their heated discussion of threats, Glenn follows Nicholas over the wall and into the woods. This is out of character because he has shown to be two things that have enabled him to survive: smart and competent. The first one is thrown out the window. Who cares if Nicholas sneaks out over the wall? And when in the woods, why follow him off the trail?

Rick is a prime example of this, too. He's the leader, then he's not, then he is. He's fine, he's crazy, he's fine, he's crazy, he's fine. No consistency equals freedom to make him do whatever is necessary to move the plot without any basis of motivation.

Daryl reigns atop the leaderboard of smart and competent... until at the loading dock of the vegetable factory. Cans are strung up on the semi trailers, a warning device that their own group has used in the past, but that has no affect on how they search. Aaron throwing open the trailer door instead of cautiously investigating is an Alexandria move - blissful ignorance about the world outside their wall. If you're only searching the place (because how much canned food can you carry that distance back to the car and motorcycle), why the need to throw the door open when you know people have been around?

And what the heck with zombie discotheque? Electricity, speakers, music, lights, remote control? I thought this was the zombie apocalypse.

The five characters who are immune from death, in my opinion, are Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Carol, and Michonne. Maggie gets honorary inclusion in this group due to being in a relationship with Glenn. Any threat of them dying (Glenn getting ambushed by Nicholas, then having to survive three walkers when injured and left in the forest to die; Daryl stuck in a car surrounded by a mob of walkers) is a red herring. In those examples, they never showed how Glenn survived and a stranger comes out of nowhere to help Daryl (and Aaron).

A couple interesting things, though...

When Carol is trying to convince Rick to kill Pete, she says, "You have to kill him," then quickly corrects to "We have to kill him." Just something to remember as she continues to play the Stepford wife role.

The writers did do one very nice thing by actually not hitting the audience over the head with the horse as a metaphor for Daryl.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Just repeat to youself
"It's Just a show"
You should really just relax

(i keed. I enjoyed reading your analysis and criticism, agree with most of it.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

If not for television getting so much better in the last 10-15 years and so many people claiming this show has a quality level similar to shows like "The Wire" and "Breaking Bad", it would be fine. It's just hard when so many of the problems are generously described as "glaring."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I don't know if you realized it or not, but BB had to constantly reach for levels beyond ridiculous for both Walt and Jessie to never get killed or incarcerated. The theme is the same...besides being smart, in order to survive in a wildly dangerous environment, you need to be ridiculously lucky.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Jerloma wrote:I don't know if you realized it or not, but BB had to constantly reach for levels beyond ridiculous for both Walt and Jessie to never get killed or incarcerated. The theme is the same...besides being smart, in order to survive in a wildly dangerous environment, you need to be ridiculously lucky.
I don't know if you realized it or not, but "Breaking Bad" at least showed these things so you could see what transpired and actually judge if what happened was plausible or not (and allowed for other characters to react, enabling Skyler and Hank to eventually start seeing through Walt's BS for what it actually was) as opposed to the style of "The Walking Dead", which is wave the Writers' Magical Wand because they have to make sure Glenn escapes, but doesn't kill the man who tried to kill him because he's still a good person, even in the zombie apocalypse.

They can both rely on ridiculous amounts of luck and coincidence and bullshit for their main characters to live/survive/escape, but when one show dots all its i's and crosses all its t's and the other decides that people/zombies walking through the woods make noise or not based on what they need the plot to do (among other things like suddenly giving two-dimensional characters motivation just to drive the plot a certain way), I'm going to not let the lazy/stupid/shitty way of doing it slide. They haven't already bought nearly enough good will, they're not on the way there, and they're never going to get there.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Reading carefully here, as we still have the lat two episodes left, but Noah's death scene....man. I thought Aiden's earlier in the same episode was bad.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Haven't looked at a revolving door the same way since.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

2nd half trailer...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jeez. My wife and I still have a couple of episodes to finish the season. Oops.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Anyone watch Fear The Walking Dead last night. I'll watch again but that episode was so slooowww...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Saw it. Loved it. I really like origin stories, I thought it was very well handled. And consistent with the limited number of Black characters rule in the zombie apocalypse. Not five minutes after Black character #2 is introduced, Black character #1 went missing (he doesn't show up at the beach to meet his girlfriend.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

howard wrote:Saw it. Loved it. I really like origin stories, I thought it was very well handled. And consistent with the limited number of Black characters rule in the zombie apocalypse. Not five minutes after Black character #2 is introduced, Black character #1 went missing (he doesn't show up at the beach to meet his girlfriend.)
...and black character #2 promptly gets zombified.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Which means #1 lives.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Fear isn't grabbing me so far. I've never liked the actress in the lead part and I'm still not liking her. The junkie kid is the only character I give a damn about so far, and that might be only because he reminds me of Benny and Joon era Johnny Depp.

I'll keep watching for now, but I'm not too optimistic
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Moreta wrote:Fear isn't grabbing me so far. I've never liked the actress in the lead part and I'm still not liking her.
Same. I just didn't like her at all and I couldn't figure out why. Then I looked up the actress and that's why. She was the detective in Gone Girl that I'd just seen the night before and I hated her there too.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Anyone still keeping up with this show? I'm watching it, but couldn't care less about any character on the show. I'm hoping they all get eaten for the finale.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote:Anyone still keeping up with this show? I'm watching it, but couldn't care less about any character on the show. I'm hoping they all get eaten for the finale.
Right...that's the problem with me too.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The show was billed as "see what happened when it all started". I think that was made pretty clear through the original series. Even if it wasn't, this show didn't explain that either. It just started, no how, no where did it come from, none of that. Wow, people rioted and the military was called in. Yeah, that was covered early on in TWD.

The only semi-main character that died, wasn't even bitten. And the Johhny Depp look alike junkie is annoying as fuck and make Carl look like Sir John Gielgud.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

bfj wrote:…make Carl look like Sir John Gielgud.
spit take.

There are little glimpses of things that I like, but I'm relieved only one more episode. Hopefully they pick up the pace next year. I don't hate it, I'll give it a chance at the start of season 2.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'll take strung-out Depp over Carl every day of the week. I'd celebrate Carl dying like you guys celebrated Bin-Laden.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I've got all this on my DVR but haven't started it. Do I really want to waste the 6 hours? I mean I love TWD, but more because of the connection I had to the comics, of which FTWD won't have any. I've seen such mixed reviews and it seems to skew negative. I'm starting to think I don't want to bother with is and risk getting burned out before TWD comes back and eventually jumps the shark (I think we're about 2 seasons away from that, depending on how they portray Negan and the Saviors).
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

We just started watching Fear a couple of days ago. I have no real complaints. I think it helps to watch the first four episodes one after another, so the slow pacing is less of an issue.

For some reason, I have always liked that lead actress. going back to Deadwood. Maybe because she is almost exactly my age, like within a couple of days.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I actually just watched the end of this season on my DVR (I'm back in NC). Somehow I fell behind back when it originally aired, and the episodes were overwritten before I got a chance to see them. I made sure to record them again when they did the marathon before Season 6 started.

So anyway, I'm sure nobody wants to talk about this one now, but at least I'm ready to move on to Season 6 now.

BTW, the last 3 eps of season 5 were good, but as others have mentioned, the show still has the same problem of inconsistent threat (it kills me that Darryl drives a fucking chopper, but if you step on a twig, zombies come a shambling.) and inconsistent characters. I do think they are doing a good job with the crazy W folks though. They keep teasing us while keeping us on the main storyline. Of course, that makes it all clear to the viewers that Rick and company are right about what children the other DC folks are. They have been staggeringly lucky.

On to Season 6!

(And Jerloma, this show isn't remotely as well-written or plotted as Breaking Bad. It's not close.)
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Don't sleep on season 6, Dave. They come out swinging. Try not to over-analyze it.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Bump?

Wait. Rick Grimes was whisked away in a helicopter right before being eaten and will be in stand alone walking dead movies?

Even for this show...lol.
Last edited by tennbengal on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's really how his last episode that AMC has been hyping without stop ended?

They should have just had the helicopter have "DEUS EX MACHINA" painted in huge letters along the side.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:50 am That's really how his last episode that AMC has been hyping without stop ended?

They should have just had the helicopter have "DEUS EX MACHINA" painted in huge letters along the side.
I believe it did, based on what I saw of the write-ups. I assume no one on here is still watching it, but just in case, maybe they can confirm.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Here's a piece:

https://www.thewrap.com/walking-dead-br ... w-lincoln/
It’s been about a year since we first saw the mysterious helicopter on “The Walking Dead” that has been making us crazy ever since, and this week, in the fifth episode of the season, it actually became a major part of the plot.

Seriously, after teasing us with it for more than a year, “The Walking Dead” finally put the helicopter front and center by having it play a part in the shocking survival of Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln).