Apples 2014

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Apples 2014

Post by mister d »

Are apple skins getting thicker?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

rass wrote:Enjoying Envys.

From TJ's? Quite solid.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

P.D.X. wrote:
rass wrote:Enjoying Envys.

From TJ's? Quite solid.

No, but I'll look for them there next time because they'll probably be cheaper.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Last night, I bought my fourth batch of honeycrisps for the season, which is tremendous.

I also saw pumpkin spice Twinkies for sale, which is markedly less tremendous.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

SweeTangoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. (Although this one I'm having right now from stupid Shaw's is nowhere near as good as the super secret care package ones. Which, duh.)

I've never had an Envy but they were $.50 more than STs and HCs at the store this morning. Are they that good?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I really like them, but they're like a super-duper-awesome Gala to the extreme and Gala's are my favorite available year round option.

What I'm not sure on is how much of my preference is cosmetic. HC's were cheaper at my supermarket this week and I went with Envy's because they weren't shiny like the HC and had a more pleasing red coloring. Brains. How do they work?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I also find envy's visually appealing. Also, they're very slow to brown when cut.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Honeycrisp being a year round thing is nice, but I wish sweetangos were, too!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:28 am Honeycrisp being a year round thing is nice, but I wish sweetangos were, too!
The HCs here are only worth it getting in the fall, when they are from New York. The Washington State HCs we get the rest of the year are much smaller, harder, and less juicy.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The one I had just now was pretty dang good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:54 amThe HCs here are only worth it getting in the fall, when they are from New York. The Washington State HCs we get the rest of the year are much smaller, harder, and less juicy.
I'm going to avoid the obvious ... by phrasing this as "am I the only one who prefers those first two characteristics you complained about"?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:01 pm I'm going to...d.e.v.ou.r...this...m.a.c.ou.n...
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Anyone ever had a Pinata? They recently started showing up in the local store, and they are quite good. Firm, but not as sweet as the honeycrisp, and not as big. Perfect for having at lunch time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:22 am Anyone ever had a Pinata? They recently started showing up in the local store, and they are quite good. Firm, but not as sweet as the honeycrisp, and not as big. Perfect for having at lunch time.
Yeah, they've been around here for a couple years.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Sounds like a sweetango (also known as king of all apples) wannabe.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

While waiting for the sweetangos I am enjoying this honeycrisp , inferior though it may be.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

CosmicCrisps are some delicious fucking apples.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 pm CosmicCrisps are some delicious fucking apples.
Just got some of those at the local grocery store myself. I agree.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 pm CosmicCrisps are some delicious fucking apples.
They are quite good. I guess there's an ongoing lawsuit between Washington State Univ (where it was developed) and their private partner about the patent and distribution of them.
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:33 pm
They are quite good. I guess there's an ongoing lawsuit between Washington State Univ (where it was developed) and their private partner about the patent and distribution of them.
Be prepared for them to take over the world. The investment in planting them in WA is gargantuan. I have to report holdings in storage every month for USApple Association and they added them to the form this year, removing Jonagold.

Anyone had an Evercrisp? Honeycrisp/Fuji cross. Hard as rock, last forever, taste really good.

edit:sp
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Diamond wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:19 pm
Be prepared for them to take over the world. The investment in planting them in WA is gargantuan. I have to report holdings in storage every month for USApple Association and they added them to the form this year, removing Jonagold.

Anyone had an Evercrisp? Honeycrisp/Fuji cross. Hard as rock, last forever, taste really good.

How do orchards deal with the changing trends in apples? Let's say you have a large section of Braeburns, and the market suddenly doesn't want them, but is going nuts over SweeTangos or CosmicCrisps. Do orchard owners (farmers?) remove Braeburn trees and replace them with CosmicCrisps? How long does it take a new tree to become productive? Do the creators of new varieties stockpile mature trees and sell them when the buzz gets out? I have absolutely no concept of the apple business, but this concept fascinates me.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm

How do orchards deal with the changing trends in apples? Let's say you have a large section of Braeburns, and the market suddenly doesn't want them, but is going nuts over SweeTangos or CosmicCrisps. Do orchard owners (farmers?) remove Braeburn trees and replace them with CosmicCrisps? How long does it take a new tree to become productive? Do the creators of new varieties stockpile mature trees and sell them when the buzz gets out? I have absolutely no concept of the apple business, but this concept fascinates me.
Planet Money talked a bit about this
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018 ... -the-world
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

It's gotten very industrial in the last 30 years or so. Everything is planted on dwarfing rootstock supported by trellis and trained to maximize fruit production (apples) over vegetative growth (tree). New plantings are very high-density in terms of trees/acre and are expensive. New plantings become productive after three or four years, so the incentive is high to replace less-profitable varieties with newer ones. Nurseries don't stock mature trees for the industry, though I know guys who will move a mature tree with a big tulip-looking digger for landscape customers. These new trademarked varieties are really expanding, everybody and her uncle has their own proprietary variety they're pushing. They won't all make it, either. There will be blood on the orchard floor, so to speak.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Diamond wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:56 pm

It's gotten very industrial in the last 30 years or so. Everything is planted on dwarfing rootstock supported by trellis and trained to maximize fruit production (apples) over vegetative growth (tree). New plantings are very high-density in terms of trees/acre and are expensive. New plantings become productive after three or four years, so the incentive is high to replace less-profitable varieties with newer ones. Nurseries don't stock mature trees for the industry, though I know guys who will move a mature tree with a big tulip-looking digger for landscape customers. These new trademarked varieties are really expanding, everybody and her uncle has their own proprietary variety they're pushing. They won't all make it, either. There will be blood on the orchard floor, so to speak.
Thanks for the explanation, and that Planet Money video was hilarious, perfect Swamp material.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

You made one post in 2019. Glad to see you. Hope all is well. I haven’t had an Evercrisp. I had something called a Sugarbee apple the other day and it was really good.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I had a Juci this weekend. It was flat awful. But I didn't at the time realize it was a Honeycrisp/Braeburn cross, and I don't much care for Braeburns. It was like eating sawdust.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Is it apple season somewhere?
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

bfj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:00 am

You made one post in 2019. Glad to see you. Hope all is well. I haven’t had an Evercrisp. I had something called a Sugarbee apple the other day and it was really good.
I am well, thanks for thinking of me. Hope you and all the swampers are keeping on keeping on.

Just had a Sugar Bee yesterday. It was too sweet for me. These new honeycrisp crosses are getting so numerous I can't keep track.
Diamond
Maude Lebowski

Post by Diamond »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:50 am Is it apple season somewhere?
It's a couple months from apple season in the southern hemisphere. Chile, Argentina, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Had a CosmiCrisp yesterday... I'll give it another shot, as I may not have had a good one. It was slightly mealy, though not at all soft. Hard to explain. It was also a little too sweet. It was still decent, but I want to try another one to see if it was just an off apple, or not my jam.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Diamond wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:10 pm
bfj wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:00 am

I am well, thanks for thinking of me. Hope you and all the swampers are keeping on keeping on.

Just had a Sugar Bee yesterday. It was too sweet for me. These new honeycrisp crosses are getting so numerous I can't keep track.
I have a cosmic crisp waiting for me that I am about to eat. Excited about it.

Update: Solid, but no sweetango nor honeycrisp. The peel is the problem. Lot of red delicious vibes in that peel. Would benefit form peeling, but who has time for that?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:25 pm Had a CosmiCrisp yesterday... I'll give it another shot, as I may not have had a good one. It was slightly mealy, though not at all soft. Hard to explain. It was also a little too sweet. It was still decent, but I want to try another one to see if it was just an off apple, or not my jam.
Had a much better CosmicCrisp. Still too sweet, but the consistency was good. Like AB, I much prefer a Honeycrisp or Sweetango.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Just tried a new (to me) variety. Autumn Glory. Very crisp and sweet. The description said caramel and cinnamon, but my daughter nailed it. It has a very prominent taste of honey. She didn't like it, apparently she doesn't like honey. I really enjoyed it and will definitely by it again, but I still prefer Honeycrisps and SweeTango. Autumn Glory lacks any tartness to contrast the sweet, so it's a bit one-note.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

We’ve found a new apple we like called a Sugarbee apple. Very tasty.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Been drinking apple cider by the gallon since fallish. Have to go to Publix to get for some reason. The Kroger and other have the nonrefrigerated substandard version. What's the deal. Is that other stuff still cider? What is it that I am looking for. It's $8 gal so I've probably spent a couple hundred. Why does do most mainstream grocers not carry? How long before it's likely to disappear for the season. Tempted to hoard some.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Understandable. Fresh cider is bomb.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:23 pm Been drinking apple cider by the gallon since fallish. Have to go to Publix to get for some reason. The Kroger and other have the nonrefrigerated substandard version. What's the deal. Is that other stuff still cider? What is it that I am looking for. It's $8 gal so I've probably spent a couple hundred. Why does do most mainstream grocers not carry? How long before it's likely to disappear for the season. Tempted to hoard some.
I think it goes bad really quickly, like in a week, so it's expensive and creates waste if it doesn't sell quickly. On the plus side, it ferments into alcohol. Got a nice buzz off old cider in Hebrew school.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:31 pm Got ... off ... in Hebrew school.
Phillip Roth approves.