The Autism Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: The Autism Thread

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:32 am Could be in the Dusty thread.

Amazing. I'd seen that video recommended various places but had ignored it. Thanks for posting it. (I'm a wreck now)
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That sucks DiS. Understanding behavior is hard enough, but take that verbal piece away and it’s damn near impossible to understand or predict. Has your gf tried to ask her since the incident what was so upsetting?

My kid is so much more aggressive and angry as a teenager. It’s hard to know what’s the autism and what is puberty. Not the calmest house over here these days. My wife actually had to call the police on him one night while I was out working and my oldest was in Spain. I do a LOT of police trainings and have seen/heard some horror stories when police and violent meltdowns intersect. He was ok, but I’m terrified leaving my wife alone with him sometimes.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:46 pm That sucks DiS. Understanding behavior is hard enough, but take that verbal piece away and it’s damn near impossible to understand or predict. Has your gf tried to ask her since the incident what was so upsetting?
I don't think asking her would do much good. Her communication is really pretty rudimentary, and I think that the GF is pretty leery of triggering her like that again.
My kid is so much more aggressive and angry as a teenager. It’s hard to know what’s the autism and what is puberty. Not the calmest house over here these days. My wife actually had to call the police on him one night while I was out working and my oldest was in Spain. I do a LOT of police trainings and have seen/heard some horror stories when police and violent meltdowns intersect. He was ok, but I’m terrified leaving my wife alone with him sometimes.
Wow...that's scary. Did the police handle things ok?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I walked in after they’d been there for a few minutes. He was crying and telling them “don’t shoot me and I don’t want to go to jail”. When he saw me he came to me and I led him into a quieter space to calm down. They didn’t have to go hands on with him, but would have if Max had gone after my wife again.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:44 pm I walked in after they’d been there for a few minutes. He was crying and telling them “don’t shoot me and I don’t want to go to jail”. When he saw me he came to me and I led him into a quieter space to calm down. They didn’t have to go hands on with him, but would have if Max had gone after my wife again.
Damn...I'm sorry. How frightening, for everyone involved.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I cried:

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I had 5 students on the spectrum this year. I wrote and deleted some of the challenges a few times, but deciding to focus on a positive--a 5th grade boy just graduated from my program. For his first 3 years, he formed no friendships. Then in 3rd grade he became friends with another girl on the spectrum -- it was great that they got along, but it wasn't a healthy friendship -- she basically just accommodated him. Then, this year, a new student from China moved to our program midyear -- barely spoke English and incredibly shy, but one of my teacher got him and the one with autism into Magic the Gathering. Then they decided to invent decks, and then invent games. By the end of the year, they created 40 original Magic decks and invented about 25 other games. The classroom is next to our office and at the end of the day we would hear both of them laughing hysterically about their games. Then they would play with each other after closing time. He had a real friend. Fast forward to this week -- after 6 years of vehemently avoiding sports, he grabbed a basketball from me and tried to shoot baskets. He stayed in the gym with his friend for a very loud group event (we used to always let him wait outside because the noise and chaos was too much for him). He then signed up and went on his first field trip. Then he misses a day because he has a play date with another student (a second friend!). Then at graduation, so many 5th graders yelled his name and cheered for him when his name was announced (despite the principal warning to save your applause till the end). Friendship is damn powerful.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 pm I had 5 students on the spectrum this year. I wrote and deleted some of the challenges a few times, but deciding to focus on a positive--a 5th grade boy just graduated from my program. For his first 3 years, he formed no friendships. Then in 3rd grade he became friends with another girl on the spectrum -- it was great that they got along, but it wasn't a healthy friendship -- she basically just accommodated him. Then, this year, a new student from China moved to our program midyear -- barely spoke English and incredibly shy, but one of my teacher got him and the one with autism into Magic the Gathering. Then they decided to invent decks, and then invent games. By the end of the year, they created 40 original Magic decks and invented about 25 other games. The classroom is next to our office and at the end of the day we would hear both of them laughing hysterically about their games. Then they would play with each other after closing time. He had a real friend. Fast forward to this week -- after 6 years of vehemently avoiding sports, he grabbed a basketball from me and tried to shoot baskets. He stayed in the gym with his friend for a very loud group event (we used to always let him wait outside because the noise and chaos was too much for him). He then signed up and went on his first field trip. Then he misses a day because he has a play date with another student (a second friend!). Then at graduation, so many 5th graders yelled his name and cheered for him when his name was announced (despite the principal warning to save your applause till the end). Friendship is damn powerful.
Great story!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Love it!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That's fucking awesome. Both on the friendship side and being an ex-MTG player myself, that those parents supported that heroin-like habit. What a cool story!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Great stuff!

What a nice story to start the day with.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Damn dust.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

https://www.wbrc.com/2019/06/18/mother- ... -teachers/

This is not going to make BFJ happy
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 am https://www.wbrc.com/2019/06/18/mother- ... -teachers/

These are fucking teachers for fucks sake. Why humiliate a child to their face? It would be disgusting enough to make the joke at a happy hour or a teacher only event, but to do it AT school and give the kid the award? Cruel, heartless assholes.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

bfj wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:00 pm
TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:37 am https://www.wbrc.com/2019/06/18/mother- ... -teachers/

These are fucking teachers for fucks sake. Why humiliate a child to their face? It would be disgusting enough to make the joke at a happy hour or a teacher only event, but to do it AT school and give the kid the award? Cruel, heartless assholes.
Easiest prediction of my life
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

We need more businesses like these. Any Denver Swampers been there?
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Fixed link: https://www.lovethatmax.com/2019/07/pizzability.html

I haven't, but heard about it recently. Also saw the owner of the pizza place is buying a brewery I've been to a couple of times and will be using the same concept, naming it Brewability.

https://www.westword.com/restaurants/br ... d-11387571

Hoping to make it to both sometime soon.

ETA: They mentioned the brewery in bfj's link, didn't notice until after I posted.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:54 pm We need more businesses like these. Any Denver Swampers been there?
Nice story.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I’m stuck in jury duty screening - and just read this article about Autism Speaks.

I’m too uninformed to venture an opinion, except to say i agree with the author’s sentiment.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

AS does a lot of good things for families. They draw a lot of hate from those who have “high functioning” autism because of the language they use in their advertising/marketing. But those advocates don’t speak for all of those with Autism or the parents of those who can’t advocate for themselves.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm not a fan of Autism Speaks for pretty much all the reasons mentioned in that article, but as BFJ pointed out, I'm a parent of a high-functioning autistic child. I wouldn't deign to speak for others, as I fully realize how lucky we are compared to what other families are dealing with. But I still really don't like the general stance of AS.
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How dare they treat an Astros fan like that.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

bfj wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 pm This kind of shit.
Incredible. I suspect bigotry against special needs wasn't the only bigotry involved there.
Totally Kafkaesque
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Look what TT did. Truly touched.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I feel like the only reason I get away with all of the shit I talk is because you guys know I actually really do care. Felt nice to be able to know I used a birthday to maybe help some people instead of doing a bunch of drunk and druggie stuff. Sincerely, it was my pleasure
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:05 pm Image

Just wait till TT is big enough to headline the fundraiser show....I am sure his material will do great with the donor crowd.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 am

Just wait till TT is big enough to headline the fundraiser show....I am sure his material will do great with the donor crowd.
"I ate out Rick's gramma for 2 Vikes and a piece of cobbler. Give generously."
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Ladies and Gentlemen, Andrew Vikes Clay!
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

bfj wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:17 am Ladies and Gentlemen, Andrew Vikes Clay!
holy shit that was amazing
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:25 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:16 am

"I ate out Rick's gramma for 2 Vikes and a piece of cobbler. Give generously."
you were at my show sunday?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Baltimore County Public Schools-Doing the Least Amount for the Kids Who Need the Most Support.

30 minutes of speech per day down to 15 minutes once/week.
Once/week virtual education with teacher for 30 minutes/class
No modified work for his IEP

Why should they care, right?

Thanks for the soapbox.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:50 pm No modified work for his IEP
I don't get that one at all. Hasn't everyone else's EP (EEEP?) been modified at this point?

(I'm not dismissing the other problems you mentioned, but I can see there being resource or technological barriers there, I guess. Though 3-4 weeks should have been enough time to work those out.)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Sorry BFJ. It's so frustrating seeing the effects of this on students in need of more support. I'm a long way from the Early Intervention world, but right now there is whole population of 2 year olds not getting essential services when they need it most in their development. And of course, all ages losing the routine, connections, and consistent support is awful.

Anyway, I found a pretty good twitter follow for teacher/student support and additional resources: https://twitter.com/jessica_minahan
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Been thinking of posting this here for a while and was searching for the best way to present it, but just to summarize, a psychotherapist I've been seeing for a while diagnosed me a few months ago with a lower level of autism, and I concur with her.

It's something I'd suspected for a while when I got to thinking about ways my life has been "different" from most, and a lot of things make sense a lot better now. In a way, the diagnosis has made my life better in that it's now "official" and I can live with that knowledge.

I've mentioned my OCD here before, and from what I've heard there's about a 30% overlap between OCD and ASD. Look's like I'm in that.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:53 pm Been thinking of posting this here for a while and was searching for the best way to present it, but just to summarize, a psychotherapist I've been seeing for a while diagnosed me a few months ago with a lower level of autism, and I concur with her.

It's something I'd suspected for a while when I got to thinking about ways my life has been "different" from most, and a lot of things make sense a lot better now. In a way, the diagnosis has made my life better in that it's now "official" and I can live with that knowledge.

I've mentioned my OCD here before, and from what I've heard there's about a 30% overlap between OCD and ASD. Look's like I'm in that.
I talk to a lot of adults who get diagnosed late in life and it provides that same sense of relief for many.

Funny this should pop up today as I was looking at this article the other day for work. I incorporated this statistic into a training for medical students I'm working on.
People with autism are twice as likely as those without to be diagnosed with OCD later in life, according to a 2015 study that tracked the health records of nearly 3.4 million people in Denmark over 18 years. Similarly, people with OCD are four times as likely as typical individuals to later be diagnosed with autism, according to the same study.
40% of people on the spectrum are also co-diagnosed with some mental health condition also. It is why autism is often considered a mental health issue even though it is a developmental disability.

Hope you are doing well, you entertain the hell out of me with all of the games you manage and narrate and the content you post. Thanks for sharing.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:53 pm Been thinking of posting this here for a while and was searching for the best way to present it, but just to summarize, a psychotherapist I've been seeing for a while diagnosed me a few months ago with a lower level of autism, and I concur with her.

That seems like a pretty big deal. I'm glad there's an upside for you.

Apologies for being totally ignorant, is there a practical implication for you getting that diagnosis as an adult? As in, are therapies and medication done differently going forward?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »