Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote:That's badass.

Don't have kids.
Final double-daycare payment of my life going out this month. Super excited.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote:
A_B wrote:That's badass.

Don't have kids.
Final double-daycare payment of my life going out this month. Super excited.
Good bye pre school, hello free school!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm totally going to use that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Loved the raise we got when the (at the time) youngest started kindergarten. Then we had another.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Our son has a mid-November birthday and the school district cut-off for his class is November 30. He's not even two yet and we've been trying to ensure his day care keeps pushing him along so that he enters with his class and we don't pay for an extra year. My wife was pissed that they moved the other seven kids in his class up for summer camp, but left him back. He'd been with them for the previous seven months.

If there is a real reason he won't be ready for kindergarten, that's fine. But them not pushing him along because he's close to the cut-off strictly to get an extra year of checks out of us would be entirely different.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote:Our son has a mid-November birthday and the school district cut-off for his class is November 30. He's not even two yet and we've been trying to ensure his day care keeps pushing him along so that he enters with his class and we don't pay for an extra year. My wife was pissed that they moved the other seven kids in his class up for summer camp, but left him back. He'd been with them for the previous seven months.

If there is a real reason he won't be ready for kindergarten, that's fine. But them not pushing him along because he's close to the cut-off strictly to get an extra year of checks out of us would be entirely different.
my nephew was in the same boat and they elected to hold him out the extra year. Then we had another friend who sent theirs as early as he could start but then had him repeat kindergarten and that worked out for them.

If it were me I'd definitely go into the second camp. We sent our daughter before she turned five (she was ten days before the cutoff) and she has done great and is in an advanced program in High school. SHe's the youngest of her entire friend group, which sucks about now as they are all driving already, but academically she is ahead of most all of them despite being younger.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Q is 2 days ahead of the cut and we were a little nervous about having to make a decision but both her pre-K teacher there and the center director are pretty adamantly against redshirting and recommended she go into K.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Totally unscientific poll of people I've known with kids suggests that girls tend to be put in school if they're close to the cutoff and boys tend to be held out for a year. Some parents use future athletic success as a reason to hold out the boys, since greater physical development could put them at an advantage.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Was listening to the local drive time sports show last night after work and they were talking about the PGA championship. They were arguing about if GOlf was the hardest sport, which is neither here nor there. A caller called in to say it wasn't because he was pretty sure he, a 30 year old guy who can shoot in the mid 80s pretty regularly, took to playing every day as dedicated as pro golfers are, with the proper teaching, he was "pretty sure" he might not be able to win much, but that he could compete decently on tour.

Closest I have ever come to calling in to a show. The absurdity of that statement is unreal. Those guys don't play the same game we do.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My daughter's birthday is Oct 30 and we had the option of going or waiting another year. She wanted to go and we figured we could hold her for a second year of kindergarten if she had any trouble. It turned out fine for us. She kicks ass academically and I don't think the extra year would have affected anything socially.

When I was living in Texas years ago, I knew of people who held back boys, solely for sports reasons.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote:Was listening to the local drive time sports show last night after work and they were talking about the PGA championship. They were arguing about if GOlf was the hardest sport, which is neither here nor there. A caller called in to say it wasn't because he was pretty sure he, a 30 year old guy who can shoot in the mid 80s pretty regularly, took to playing every day as dedicated as pro golfers are, with the proper teaching, he was "pretty sure" he might not be able to win much, but that he could compete decently on tour.

Closest I have ever come to calling in to a show. The absurdity of that statement is unreal. Those guys don't play the same game we do.
"I make free throws at like an 80% clip. I would definitely be median or better in the NBA."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A_B wrote:Those guys don't play the same game we do.
Isn't this obvious from spending ten minutes watching these guys in person?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

howard wrote:
A_B wrote:Those guys don't play the same game we do.
Isn't this obvious from spending ten minutes watching these guys in person?
Oh, the guy also admitted he hates watching golf. So there's that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:
BSF21 wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:This thread getting bumped reminded me to drop my PMI. Thanks DSafe (and Ellen Barkin)!
I did it about 4 months ago. I'm almost halfway through my mortgage after 3 years and the extra 79$ a month can't hurt!
That's badass.

Don't have kids.
Or move to the Northeast.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Too many posts to quote just one, but at his 18 month check-up, his pediatrician had some very positive things to say about his development. We also thought that being with a group of slightly older kids was good for him, as he would see other kids do something and want to do it, as many other kids do, giving his development a little boost. His teachers/caregivers have always been positive about how he is doing (his infant room primary caregiver only wanted him to stay in her room because she was so crazy about him), but we worry about the director of the day care.

But that's a different and much longer story, almost all of which has zero to do with our son.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My younger son was born right by the cutoff date. We felt he was more than ready for kindergarten and he was. His problem in school now is he's often bored because it's too easy. I can't imagine what it would be like if he were a year behind. It's funny though - most of his friends are right at his age, but a year behind him in school.

It definitely would have been an advantage for him in sports to play with kids his actual age though. It doesn't help that he's kinda small too.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Thanks for the advice here. Sounds like I should definitely drop the PMI right away.

On the refinance, I did that a couple years ago and got a good drop in the monthly payment. I still get offers from the bank to do it again, but not sure how wise it is to do another one so soon.
Yeah, how recently you re-financed isn't as important as if you're getting the 1 percent drop in the rate. There are calculators to help you decide if it is worth it if you're looking at .75 or .875 but that would mostly come down to how long you plan to own the home and how much the re-fi fees are.
WE got the refinance ball rolling a few weeks back. able to shave .75% off, $220/month and add only 6 extra payment. We either won't be there by then or it will be paid off, so no biggie. The appraisal came back today, and the house appraised for $33k more than we bought it for 3 years ago. That was suprising, and puts up super close to the PMI dropoff point. Saving money is fun.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We got a letter about a full town tax reassessment a month after renovating the main bath. We are two ships passing.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

So in the vein of dropping PMI, which I did 2 months ago, I'm curious about refinancing. Have any of you Frogs done it recently? I'm currently at 4.5% on a 30yr mortgage and I've got nearly 45% of the original balance paid off at this point. I've seen 15 year rates as low as 2.9% right now but curious as to my actual savings over the next 3-4 years as I pay it off in full. Is it worth it to refi given the upfront cost to close again and possibly having to move my mortgage to a different company? I've been with the same company since origination and I really like the company, and they haven't sold my loan like so many companies immediately do after you close.

Thoughts?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I just dropped to 3.5% from 4.25% and yeah, it was worth it for me but I am not paying off in 3-4 years. But if you plan on paying it off that quickly, the numbers change obviously. Probably not worth the extra outlay of closing costs.

Serious question, couldn't you do better for your money by investing that instead of putting it all towards home equity? I mean, it's nice to have no home payment, at which point every but of that can go to savings. You're relatively young and I don't feel like the house you are in will be the house you have forever, but I may be wrong. The amount of equity you already have will almost certainly be enough for a sizable downpayment on any future home as well. Seems like even if you put it in some reasonably safe investments you'd be better off than throwing it at the house.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote:I just dropped to 3.5% from 4.25% and yeah, it was worth it for me but I am not paying off in 3-4 years. But if you plan on paying it off that quickly, the numbers change obviously. Probably not worth the extra outlay of closing costs.

Serious question, couldn't you do better for your money by investing that instead of putting it all towards home equity? I mean, it's nice to have no home payment, at which point every but of that can go to savings. You're relatively young and I don't feel like the house you are in will be the house you have forever, but I may be wrong. The amount of equity you already have will almost certainly be enough for a sizable downpayment on any future home as well. Seems like even if you put it in some reasonably safe investments you'd be better off than throwing it at the house.
Yeah, at your age you'd be better off investing any "extra" money you have towards retirement at this point than reducing the equity if your house further. You're going to get long term gains of WAY more than 4-ish percent most likely (this assumes of course you have no other debt worth paying off).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:I just dropped to 3.5% from 4.25% and yeah, it was worth it for me but I am not paying off in 3-4 years. But if you plan on paying it off that quickly, the numbers change obviously. Probably not worth the extra outlay of closing costs.

Serious question, couldn't you do better for your money by investing that instead of putting it all towards home equity? I mean, it's nice to have no home payment, at which point every but of that can go to savings, but you're relatively young and I don't feel like the house you are in will be the house you have forever, so I may be wrong. The amount of equity you already have will almost certainly be enough for a sizable downpayment on any future home as well. Seems like even if you put it in some reasonably safe investments you'd be better off than throwing it at the house.
This is what my new financial guy says as well. I guess I've just started down the path and I want to see it through. You are correct, this is not our forever home. I just liked the idea of owning it outright and immediately being able to pour the money from the sale of this home into the next one, thereby affording something that I couldn't normally afford, though I suppose "being able to afford" is relative.

I've always been very debt adverse. I see the house in the same way. I'm not really sure where to start with investing, other than I need 25K in to have it be an individually managed account (I'm not even sure if that's a big deal). I have a fair amount of savings, but it sits in an account and garners no interest. It's literally just there in case I need to put a new roof on the house or need a new furnace.

There is also the likelyhood that I will begin buying into the business we run in the coming years, so I don't want to overcommit to investing if I'll need that money for other ventures.

Tack onto that that I need to start saving for retirement and would like to be able to put 10K into an IRA by the beginning of next year.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, a home is pretty much the best kind of debt you can have. And given that you are serious about not having that much debt, I can't imagine you will buy a house that isn't right for you and your family, so the "more than I can afford" likely won't apply. You're clearly too smart for that.

ANd as long as you invest it in ways that allow you access to it, you would still be able to get it out and buy the business, no?

I'm not telling you what to do, but nearly 50% equity in your first house is probably plenty enough to get you below the PMI threshold at least when you buy your next home.

Also, "Seeing it through because I want to" isn't the best tack, IMO. That's being a little stubborn.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, I'm 57. I actually need to consider retirement in all my financial dealings. I've changed the funds my 401-k is invested in to focus more on preservation of capital, rather than taking risk in the hopes of bigger rewards. It's a weird thing to actually acknowledge that you are getting old, in such a tangible way.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote:You're clearly too smart for that.
I'm using that forever.
A_B wrote:I'm not telling you what to do, but nearly 50% equity in your first house is probably plenty enough to get you below the PMI threshold at least when you buy your next home.
That's a good way to look at it as far as 20% down goes. I guess my master plan was always "Buy house for 150K and mortgage is ~1K/mo, so pay that MFer off and then you'll be able to buy 300K house, blast 150K into it immediately and maintain the same mortgage you've always been used to but with a significantly nicer house".

These are obviously not real problems. Just trying to position myself in the best way I can. I never expected to be making this kind of money 6 years ago so I'm trying to do all the right things and it's not exactly the plan I had laid out for myself. I really think I can do it all if I budget correctly. At least 6-8 months of the year based on current trends. I really just threw money at the house because I didn't want to be tempted to buy something stupid. If it's locked up in the mortgage, it's not getting spent on a sports car or lavish vacations or anything of that sort.

Bringing me full circle to not really knowing how my interest is calculated on the house. If I save 1.5% over the next 3-4 years and still managed to pay off the bulk of the house, does that really translate into more than...say 1500$?...worth of savings in order to justify putting it upfront to refi?

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I guess without knowing the eact numbers, but going off your 150k/55% info, the base, not even compounded interest per year on the 1.5% would be 1275 on that loan. So multiply that by 3-4 years to see how much you'd save in total and if that's higher than the closing costs plus whatever interest you could earn on that, then yeah.

But if you go to a 15 year mortgage, even on the lower amount, your minimum payment will be higher so you may not be able to put as much "extra" towards Principal as you are on the current 30 year loan. Still would likely be able to pay it down fast, but if you are getting $500 (just for a round number) of extra principal each month on your loan now, that may translate into only $250 on a shorter term loan in extra principal if you want to keep paying the same amount per month. You'd ahve to put both in a full amortization schedule to know exactly where your breakeven points would be and if it's worth it.

But short answer is probably that you will easily save the closing costs in interest savings.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That all depends on your basis. If you want to PM me your email, I can send you over my excel mortgage file and you can just dump the numbers in.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

You don't have to pay closing costs to refinance. Seriously. I've done it at least 3-4 times with no money out of pocket.

Google no closing cost mortgage and see what you can find. There are at least two firms in this area who specialize in it and it looks like the national guys have caught on as well. Here's on example - https://www.inovafcu.org/rates/loans/mortgages.html 15-year no closing cost mortgage at 3.00%.

You'd be kind of dumb to not do that.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Have you done it recently? I know that used to be the case but I thought that sort of faded away a few years ago.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote:Have you done it recently? I know that used to be the case but I thought that sort of faded away a few years ago.
It's probably been 1.5 - 2 years, but I know they're still going strong here.

And I'm not talking about rolling up the costs into the amount of the mortgage. These were literally 0 money out of my pocket or onto my mortgage balance. An example - https://www.dnjmortgage.com/no-cost-mortgages/
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Shirley wrote:
mister d wrote:Have you done it recently? I know that used to be the case but I thought that sort of faded away a few years ago.

And I'm not talking about rolling up the costs into the amount of the mortgage. These were literally 0 money out of my pocket or onto my mortgage balance. An example - https://www.dnjmortgage.com/no-cost-mortgages/
So their idea is that by giving me .25% higher than the prime rate, they'll recoup and make the money needed to justify their upfront expense they incur by paying all those fees for me?

I'm not saying it's not possible, but color me skeptical. Is there any penalty for early payoff on something like this? They have to get their money somewhere. If I refinance 85K and they claim they make their money by eating .25% of my interest, In 3 years they stand to gain 650$ from doing this work. Seems to be a poor model from the outside looking in.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I had the same thought. But maybe it's a volume thing. Still seems like a lot of work for not much revenue.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BSF21 wrote:
Shirley wrote:

So their idea is that by giving me .25% higher than the prime rate, they'll recoup and make the money needed to justify their upfront expense they incur by paying all those fees for me?

I'm not saying it's not possible, but color me skeptical. Is there any penalty for early payoff on something like this? They have to get their money somewhere. If I refinance 85K and they claim they make their money by eating .25% of my interest, In 3 years they stand to gain 650$ from doing this work. Seems to be a poor model from the outside looking in.
You can be skeptical all you want, but I know it works. I don't know their whole business model, of course, but I'm pretty sure mortgage brokers like these guys get paid by the lenders for acquiring the mortgages. That's where they make their money.

Actually, yes, that's it. I looked up the other big no-closing-cost lender in this area and they explain it - http://www.millerlending.com/NoCostLoanExplanation

BTW, around here, most folks are financing a hell of a lot more than $85K.

Update - I forgot that I do have to pay the attorney fees and usually for an appraisal. That totals about $500 or maybe less.

Update 2 - Or maybe not attorney fees. Looks like those are included. I definitely paid for the appraisal though, which was about $140.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Just to echo Dave, I've refinanced my home three times, and I've never paid closing costs. (I did once, but was reimbursed.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

One of my only complaints about downtown Las Vegas is that it's a pain in the ass to get on and off the freeway down there, but I suck it up because there's a bunch of cool shit going on there.

So imagine my surprise to discover a "secret" awesome way to get on the freeway downtown directly near where I park that I didn't know about for my first 7 years in town. I can't decide whether to feel like an idiot or just be glad I discovered it.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote:One of my only complaints about downtown Las Vegas is that it's a pain in the ass to get on and off the freeway down there, but I suck it up because there's a bunch of cool shit going on there.

So imagine my surprise to discover a "secret" awesome way to get on the freeway downtown directly near where I park that I didn't know about for my first 7 years in town. I can't decide whether to feel like an idiot or just be glad I discovered it.
#blest

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I agree with AB. If you are paying 3.5% on your mortgage, and you obviously don't have an issue paying it, you are losing a lot more in the opportunity cost of your money than saving by paying off the mortgage. If you invest in anything making more than 3.5%, you are better off parking your money there and keep paying a minimum mortgage. I totally get the idea of ditching the burden of a mortgage and hating debt, but it is an emotional reason, and you have to stick with logic on financial matters. It took me a really long time to get through to my wife on this one. My student loan debt drove her nuts, and she fought to pay it off immediately. It is $115/month with a very low interest rate. We could have easily paid it off, but it doesn't make sense. She felt it was worth it to avoid the stress of having debt. I auto pay through my credit card, and she forgot about it. Problem solved.

We recently refinanced, and it was very minimal cost, but we stayed with the same lender. There was a bunch of money back and forth, and I can't remember specifics. Escrow balance was either higher or lower than needed for the new loan. The bank charged half of their closing costs and paid for either legal fees or the appraisal. Whatever it was, I ended up paying less than $500, and that may have been towards escrow. We went to a 15 year mortgage, down from having (24?) years left on a 30 year. Our monthly payment went up $200/month, but we knocked a full %point off the loan, and knocked 7-10 years off the loan. In addition to lower interest rate, a greater percentage of monthly payments went towards principal on day one, and increased at a faster rate. [is that amortization rate?]
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sportsfrog. Dissecting sports and media while battling a dirty mortgage problem.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

BSF21 wrote:
brian wrote:One of my only complaints about downtown Las Vegas is that it's a pain in the ass to get on and off the freeway down there, but I suck it up because there's a bunch of cool shit going on there.

#blest
so happy #blest is becoming a thing
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

There are 7 Shaqs or Shaquilles in the Yahoo Fantasy Football system. Also an Ishaq. Also a D'haquille.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The