Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 pm
blundercrush wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pmElgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

WHAT?!!?!?!?!?!? THAT IS INSANE. I thought the Bills had it rough.

He retired nine games into the 71-72 season, which would see the Lakers go on to have the best record in NBA history to that point and finally win a title.
No Elgin, NOOOO!
The Celtics more or less owned the 1960s. People think the Patriots had a dynasty. I mean, I guess they did relative to the puny little NFL. But the Celtics ran off 8 straight NBA titles. That dwarfs the Yankees' best run of 5.

Elgin Baylor's championship rings are buried under that rubble, me thinks.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm The Celtics more or less owned the 1960s. People think the Patriots had a dynasty. I mean, I guess they did relative to the puny little NFL. But the Celtics ran off 8 straight NBA titles. That dwarfs the Yankees' best run of 5.

Elgin Baylor's championship rings are buried under that rubble, me thinks.
Truth. But as far as dynasties go, I'm more impressed that the Yankees were American League Champs in 26 of the 39 years from 1926-1964. World Series champs in 19 of those years.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

blundercrush wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm From ESPN: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nb ... ayers-ever

Elgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

I read the list
What they left out about Wilt Chamberlain is the number of rules they put in to make it harder for him (the opposite of the way they treated Jordan and Shaq); 3 second rule; widened the lane; eliminated the dunk;
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Avram wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:30 pm
blundercrush wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm From ESPN: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nb ... ayers-ever

Elgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

I read the list
What they left out about Wilt Chamberlain is the number of rules they put in to make it harder for him (the opposite of the way they treated Jordan and Shaq); 3 second rule; widened the lane; eliminated the dunk;
All those sound evolutionary except eliminating the dunk. Are you sure that wasn’t just in the south?
Noli Timere Messorem
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

mister d wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:52 pm
Square Rob wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pmI'm anxious, but also looking forward to not lugging a big suitcase and garment bag around everywhere.
If you're staying in the same hotel, can't you ship some stuff there and back (or just there)?
I'm working in three different towns, so that would be more hassle than it's worth. So far so good, though I do need to do some laundry Saturday.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:52 pm
Avram wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:30 pm

I read the list
All those sound evolutionary except eliminating the dunk. Are you sure that wasn’t just in the south?
He was unstoppable no matter what they did.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I notice that some sites, such as Deadspin and the Players' Tribune are treating a video game league as a real sport. I'm not sure why this pisses me off as much as it does. It wouldn't bother me like this if it was a chess league, which also is a non-physical "mind" sport. But, I have a somewhat irrational resentment and dislike of this thing, competitive video gaming, being placed on the level of traditional sports.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Deadspin HAS to be getting paid to cover that stuff.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've seen this first-hand but there's a demand for that stuff. I have no idea how much and I'm certainly not interested in the least, but they're playing these championship events at Mandalay Bay Arena in Vegas in front of like 12,000 people. I don't see any chess matches being played in 12,000-seat sports arenas.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I don't read the Players Tribune, but for Deadspin I'll bet its a move to try and skew younger. Gotta get the 18-24 demo numbers up.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

My eldest made some pocket money streaming play-by-play for Starcraft matches, mostly with Korean players. I don’t understand the appeal, but this stuff is definitely popular. And increasingly marketable.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I watch more competitive (and non-competitive) gaming events then I do sporting events. Pretty sure bapo! brought this up in a prior thread. There is big money behind some of these leagues now. League of Legends has gone with franchises. The Warriors, Cavs, Rockets and MSG have teams competing this year. And with franchising they will for years to come. They used to have a promotional/regulation setup, but succumbed to the big money that came with the franchises. Promo/Reg is still being used in the Korean, Chinese, and a few other regional leagues.

I understand that some/most people my age find it childish and what-not. But I love it.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I felt the same way as SanCarlos during the mid-00s poker boom.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:05 pm I watch more competitive (and non-competitive) gaming events then I do sporting events. Pretty sure bapo! brought this up in a prior thread. There is big money behind some of these leagues now. League of Legends has gone with franchises. The Warriors, Cavs, Rockets and MSG have teams competing this year. And with franchising they will for years to come. They used to have a promotional/regulation setup, but succumbed to the big money that came with the franchises. Promo/Reg is still being used in the Korean, Chinese, and a few other regional leagues.

I understand that some/most people my age find it childish and what-not. But I love it.
I have no issues with gaming. I guess if I am going to spend my time on gaming I'd rather it be actually playing.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:53 am I notice that some sites, such as Deadspin and the Players' Tribune are treating a video game league as a real sport. I'm not sure why this pisses me off as much as it does. It wouldn't bother me like this if it was a chess league, which also is a non-physical "mind" sport. But, I have a somewhat irrational resentment and dislike of this thing, competitive video gaming, being placed on the level of traditional sports.
I hate this shit - partly (okay, a big partly) because I am old and don;t understand the rules, excitement, personalities etc.

But also because I don;t trust it not to be completely fixed like slot machines.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:12 pm
duff wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:05 pm I watch more competitive (and non-competitive) gaming events then I do sporting events. Pretty sure bapo! brought this up in a prior thread. There is big money behind some of these leagues now. League of Legends has gone with franchises. The Warriors, Cavs, Rockets and MSG have teams competing this year. And with franchising they will for years to come. They used to have a promotional/regulation setup, but succumbed to the big money that came with the franchises. Promo/Reg is still being used in the Korean, Chinese, and a few other regional leagues.

I have no issues with gaming. I guess if I am going to spend my time on gaming I'd rather it be actually playing.
I still game, but I also spend time watching the professionals play to help learn the games better. It has helped me in my game play.
pruitt wrote:I hate this shit - partly (okay, a big partly) because I am old and don;t understand the rules, excitement, personalities etc.

But also because I don;t trust it not to be completely fixed like slot machines.
The games I watch are team games, so the chance of them being fixed are about as much as some basketball games.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:12 pmI have no issues with gaming. I guess if I am going to spend my time on gaming I'd rather it be actually playing.
I both completely agree and realize this is how olds used to talk about fantasy sports before fantasy sports got huge. Which means we have become the olds.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

So, just another athlete-by-proxy mechanism?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 pm
blundercrush wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pmElgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

He retired nine games into the 71-72 season, which would see the Lakers go on to have the best record in NBA history to that point and finally win a title.
Which was the 1 year Jerry West won the title as a player.

He has 8 as an executive.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Underrated unnerving thing: When you accidentally scroll your mouse while holding down Ctrl, causing the text size to change, and you have to figure out how big it was before.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm pretty sure there's a hot key for a default setting. I don't know it though.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ctrl-0 (zero) goes back to default in Chrome.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I performed a marriage ceremony in 13 seconds last night. It was awesome.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 am I performed a marriage ceremony in 13 seconds last night. It was awesome.
Yeah, I'm sure the first time with some strange after a while goes like that. I wouldn't sweat it, you'll do better next time.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 am I performed a marriage ceremony in 13 seconds last night. It was awesome.
Yeah, I'm sure the first time with some strange after a while goes like that. I wouldn't sweat it, you'll do better next time.
The first time I had sex without a condom, 13 seconds would've been an eternity.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Mike Greenberg is the least interesting man on Twitter.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am Mike Greenberg is the least interesting man on Twitter.
Pretty good chance the last two words are unnecessary.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am Mike Greenberg is the least interesting man on Twitter.
I know I've said this before, but when I lived in Chicago in the early 90's, Greenberg was fresh out of school and was the 'Sports Update' guy on WSCR. I can't hear him without thinking of him giving out 'Daily Double' results from Arlington Park.

He was pretty damn whitebread back then as well.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:53 am I notice that some sites, such as Deadspin and the Players' Tribune are treating a video game league as a real sport. I'm not sure why this pisses me off as much as it does. It wouldn't bother me like this if it was a chess league, which also is a non-physical "mind" sport. But, I have a somewhat irrational resentment and dislike of this thing, competitive video gaming, being placed on the level of traditional sports.
I play a lot of these games and still don't give a shit about it.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The new Icelandic Prime Minister has rocketed to the top of Rush's hottest head of state list (sorry Donald.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:09 am The new Icelandic Prime Minister has rocketed to the top of Rush's hottest head of state list (sorry Donald.)
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

She looks like Laurie from Silicon Valley.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I can't tell whether Pruitt was picking an intentionally unflattering photo...

She looks like Bailey from WKRP, which makes me feel vindicated.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:30 pm I can't tell whether Pruitt was picking an intentionally unflattering photo...

She looks like Bailey from WKRP, which makes me feel vindicated.
I was - she is a very cute woman.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

After that rocket shot, looks like I'm going to have to find another Swamper to send random afrobeat albums to.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

She’s quite the PMILF.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:57 pm After that rocket shot, looks like I'm going to have to find another Swamper to send random afrobeat albums to.
Please, no!

In order to make amends for finding the least flattering photo of your favourite female Icelandic politician, here's a bonus for you.

Þorgerður Katrín Gunnarsdóttir is a former cabinet minister and leader of the Reform Party.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The last name of a deployer I'm tracking is "Raper."

Her rank? Major.

Major Raper. Yeeesh.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Speaking of 90's revival... High Fidelity reboot.