The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My condolences, Pruitt...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 am If you want 43 things to happen during a particular day, schedule your car to be serviced
Damn, Ryan. So sorry you have to go through this today.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 pm
Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:02 am If you want 43 things to happen during a particular day, schedule your car to be serviced
Who reads previous posts? I apologize if anyone was offended.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, Pruitt's post was a few days. It's still sad and all, but at some point the truly random thoughts have to go on. I'm sure Pruitt's friend would have wanted it that way.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:57 pm
Who reads previous posts? I apologize if anyone was offended.
Believe me - no offence taken!

And my friend owned a Volkswagen auto parts place.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sorry to hear about your friend Pruitt.

Does the place perchance have a shift linkage assembly for an 81 Vanagon in stock? Hard to track down.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

That was easily the smoothest “condolence to searching for an obscure auto part” pass I’ve ever seen. Well played.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:54 pm That was easily the smoothest “condolence to searching for an obscure auto part” pass I’ve ever seen. Well played.
And what would be the second smoothest? Has there ever been such a thing before now?

Unfortunately, not the best time to ask about Vanagon parts. I have a feeling though that Rush would have been a good client of my friend.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:54 pm That was easily the smoothest “condolence to searching for an obscure auto part” pass I’ve ever seen. Well played.
Tommy Boy almost nailed this

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Free kicks (i.e. punts after a safety) are just a strange football play. They seem very out of place.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So I parked in downtown Summit this afternoon (metered spots). I don't usually bother getting a paper receipt, but I had a feeling today... I parked at 1:43, paid for an hour, so my receipt shows I'm paid through 2:43. I get to my car at 2:30, and have a ticket on my windshield. Never been ticketed in Summit, but they are fairly active in patrolling. I look at the ticket, and the hand written time of issuance says 2:50. What kind of bullshit is that, issuing tickets before the time expires, and falsifying the time?

I was pissed, and headed to the police station, hoping to see someone before the ticket issuance time hit. I saw a "Parking" office, so went there instead. They gave me a paper form to fill out so I don't have to go to court. They took a photocopy of my ticket and receipt, stapled it to my appeal form, and told me to call in 10 days to find out the outcome. In my anger, I didn't bother to see how much the fine is. It's surprisingly only $25, but just the principle of it, I'll be pissed if they don't drop the fine.

As I was leaving the municipal building, I saw a Parking Authority vehicle. If he stopped, I would have gotten out and confronted him. Not sure how well that would have gone, but it was before I saw the amount of the fine. My father being a retired asshole with time on his hands, told me to call the police chief and the mayors office, telling them I'm going to the State AG and newspapers to expose their corruption. I don't doubt my father would actually make those calls, because he loves seeing people squirm and he has time on his hands.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So my wife has gone back to grad school at American University (she's just completed her first course about 7 days ago (online)). She thinks she did great. However, she's not received her grade on her final project (much less the course itself). She's since started up her next course. She sent an email to her advisor's office this AM asking, as a rule of thumb, when grades would be posted after a class finishes. She got a reply shortly thereafter to contact her professor / instructor. My wife responded with, "The instructor for that class wasn't the most responsive person. I simply want to know when grades would typically get posted after a class finishes."

The coordinator then forwarded her communication (in its entirety) to the professor in question.

Question: just how badly has the coordinator working in the American University's Academic Advisor's office fuck my wife's confidentiality here?
Noli Timere Messorem
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:20 pm So my wife has gone back to grad school at American University (she's just completed her first course about 7 days ago (online)). She thinks she did great. However, she's not received her grade on her final project (much less the course itself). She's since started up her next course. She sent an email to her advisor's office this AM asking, as a rule of thumb, when grades would be posted after a class finishes. She got a reply shortly thereafter to contact her professor / instructor. My wife responded with, "The instructor for that class wasn't the most responsive person. I simply want to know when grades would typically get posted after a class finishes."

The coordinator then forwarded her communication (in its entirety) to the professor in question.

Question: just how badly has the coordinator working in the American University's Academic Advisor's office fuck my wife's confidentiality here?
Academic advisors for online programs are typically just following a set of scripts. I would copy the instructor directly and inquire when final grades will be posted and where. They may have been posted somewhere already that is outside of the system where she does her coursework. Advisor should have covered that though.

It does look like AU has a 72 hour policy according to https://www.american.edu/facultysenate/ ... -at-AU.pdf So if you really want to push...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

testuser2 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:20 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:20 pm So my wife has gone back to grad school at American University (she's just completed her first course about 7 days ago (online)). She thinks she did great. However, she's not received her grade on her final project (much less the course itself). She's since started up her next course. She sent an email to her advisor's office this AM asking, as a rule of thumb, when grades would be posted after a class finishes. She got a reply shortly thereafter to contact her professor / instructor. My wife responded with, "The instructor for that class wasn't the most responsive person. I simply want to know when grades would typically get posted after a class finishes."

Academic advisors for online programs are typically just following a set of scripts. I would copy the instructor directly and inquire when final grades will be posted and where. They may have been posted somewhere already that is outside of the system where she does her coursework. Advisor should have covered that though.

It does look like AU has a 72 hour policy according to https://www.american.edu/facultysenate/ ... -at-AU.pdf So if you really want to push...
Thank you!

So the instructor wound up emailing my wife about an hour ago letting her know her grade, and he mentioned he'd be posting the grades to the system this weekend.

She was just extremely put off by the advisor (coordinator, really) who forwarded her conversation to the instructor.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That “I’m high and drunk as fuck” feeling in an unfamiliar city is like heroin. It’s easy to understand tourism. It’s almost as intoxicating in most respects in New Orleans as Nagoya).
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 pmSo the instructor wound up emailing my wife
So Giff's not the only one then?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:18 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 pmSo the instructor wound up emailing my wife
So Giff's not the only one then?
Get this man a gold star!
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yes, very well-played.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yeah. She got a borderline grade B/A. The instructor offered to meet up in person to give her the opportunity to state her case for an A.

None of this is true. She got an A. I can't even share french fries without hoarding my preferred wedges. Aint no how I can share real estate like my wife. I'm not nearly enlightened enough for that.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So, guy at the grocery store going through the tomatoes where there's small clusters with 4-5 on a section of vine, pulling off individual tomatoes and putting them in a bag...that's a dick move, right?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That vine is dead weight, brah!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yes and also I've done it when the overall selection is shitty.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Things you can pick off randomly and combine at a store

1900-2013 - Bananas
2013-2017 - Bananas and craft beer
2018 - Fuckin' whatever man, this whole thing's going shithouse

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:23 pm So, guy at the grocery store going through the tomatoes where there's small clusters with 4-5 on a section of vine, pulling off individual tomatoes and putting them in a bag...that's a dick move, right?
Yeah, usually the idea with those is there's four or five on one vine and you're supposed to buy the whole group. If you want individual tomatoes they usually sell those too, so maybe he just moved here from some f-ed up country where there isn't like 15 kinds of tomatoes in every grocery store.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:44 pm Things you can pick off randomly and combine at a store

1900-2013 - Bananas and Grapes
Cuz I ain't always tryina buy 7 lbs o grapes.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm so maybe he just moved here from some f-ed up country where there isn't like 15 kinds of tomatoes in every grocery store.
Affluent looking middle-aged guy in a quarter-zip sweater. Looked like the type who, if you raised the issue, would argue that he was fully within his rights to do so. I'd have put his chances of being a lawyer at 70%.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:53 pm
brian wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:49 pm so maybe he just moved here from some f-ed up country where there isn't like 15 kinds of tomatoes in every grocery store.
Affluent looking middle-aged guy in a quarter-zip sweater. Looked like the type who, if you raised the issue, would argue that he was fully within his rights to do so. I'd have put his chances of being a lawyer at 70%.
Oh, I know you live in NH and he's probably just a dick. I've been on a nice little run of not wanting to punch anyone at the grocery store for a couple of months, but it's not gonna last.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:44 pm Things you can pick off randomly and combine at a store

1900-2013 - Bananas
Totally on the grapes too. Fuck those prefilled bags.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

1900-2013 - Bananas
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

1900-2013 - Bananas
If I bought 2 pounds of grapes, 3/4s of them would mould.

Fuck those bags indeed.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’m so old. Can believe joe Mauer played 15 seasons.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Color me surprised that people think his HoF candidacy is up in the air. I think he’s a slam dunk.

He was voted the 2001 National Gatorade Player of the Year. As a quarterback.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t see it. Maybe if he stayed healthier.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I was on a YouTube deep dive last night, and I was watching Queen's performance at Live Aid (which I've heard is the climax to the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' movie). I've seen it before....and look out, because here's a hot take coming in.

Its a great performance, and Freddy Mercury is an amazing front man...but I gotta say...it loses A LOT because of the inclusion of Radio GaGa. Sorry, but that song blows.

(I also watched a bunch of other LiveAid performances. I had forgotten a lot of the performers).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I always love to see stories about a school being ranking in the Top 25 for the first time.

So in that vein -- UAB is ranked in the college football poll for the first time this week, as is Buffalo basketball in the men's basketball poll.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So this 23AndMe shit. Let me get this straight.

I go online and buy a kit. Once I get it, I give blood, spit, urine, or whatever to this totally legit company that will absolutely not use my DNA for nefarious purposes to find out what flavor of white I am?

If I did this I guarantee I'll get back a piece of paper that says "100% privilege. Thanks for the money."

This just screams like a trendy thing white people do along with going gluten free, not vaccinating their kids, and drinking kombucha.

I really feel like white people are doing this to see if they can get away with saying the N word if they come back with >1% African in their blood. This website is ridiculous.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:56 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:53 pm
Oh, I know you live in NH and he's probably just a dick. I've been on a nice little run of not wanting to punch anyone at the grocery store for a couple of months, but it's not gonna last.
Totally wanted to punch this idiotic grandmother today, who was blocking the aisle for about 6 people. Parked her cart right in the middle, then stood off to the side.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 pm So this 23AndMe shit. Let me get this straight.

I go online and buy a kit. Once I get it, I give blood, spit, urine, or whatever to this totally legit company that will absolutely not use my DNA for nefarious purposes to find out what flavor of white I am?

If I did this I guarantee I'll get back a piece of paper that says "100% privilege. Thanks for the money."

This just screams like a trendy thing white people do along with going gluten free, not vaccinating their kids, and drinking kombucha.

I really feel like white people are doing this to see if they can get away with saying the N word if they come back with >1% African in their blood. This website is ridiculous.
My sister did the test and found out that she is 94% Ashkenazi Jew. If you looked at her you would have guessed somewhere in that ballpark.

On the plus side, she's now found a few new 8th cousins.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My poop yesterday was inexplicably hard. My butthole hurt all day. It's still a bit sore.
Totally Kafkaesque