Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by brian »

Assuming she follows through, you really do have to kind of hand it to her if she's sincere about wanting to be a lawyer to improve the lives of others. I have my doubts, but it's not like she's doing this to become a stereotypically sleazy defense lawyer (not a dig on defense attorney's just saying that the practice of law does attract some unsavory Avenatti types who seem to be attracted to money and klieg lights.)

If I were worth $300 million or whatever ridiculous number her net worth is I wouldn't work another day in my life, so again can't really kill her too much for wanting to actually make a difference. Like I said I have my doubts, but whatever -- I really don't care either.

But I guess my biggest question is -- is it possible to get accepted into a law school without an undergrad degree even if you wailed on the LSATs? If so, not sure why she wouldn't just go to law school for three years instead.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:59 pm Assuming she follows through, you really do have to kind of hand it to her if she's sincere about wanting to be a lawyer to improve the lives of others. I have my doubts, but it's not like she's doing this to become a stereotypically sleazy defense lawyer (not a dig on defense attorney's just saying that the practice of law does attract some unsavory Avenatti types who seem to be attracted to money and klieg lights.)

If I were worth $300 million or whatever ridiculous number her net worth is I wouldn't work another day in my life, so again can't really kill her too much for wanting to actually make a difference. Like I said I have my doubts, but whatever -- I really don't care either.

But I guess my biggest question is -- is it possible to get accepted into a law school without an undergrad degree even if you wailed on the LSATs? If so, not sure why she wouldn't just go to law school for three years instead.
Because she thinks she is so smart, she doesn't need to go to law school. She she can do criminal law in her sleep, so she doesn't need to learn anything. I would love to watch her take the bar exam, and read her answers.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Call me cynical, but I think she is mostly trying to be taken seriously for a change. I think she sees the talk about working for the underprivileged and becoming a lawyer as a means to that end. I don't take her at her word for suddenly becoming altruistic and dedicated at this point in her life. Let's see her put in the work, first.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

That sounds like the opposite of cynical!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:23 pm Call me cynical, but I think she is mostly trying to be taken seriously for a change. I think she sees the talk about working for the underprivileged and becoming a lawyer as a means to that end. I don't take her at her word for suddenly becoming altruistic and dedicated at this point in her life. Let's see her put in the work, first.
I'll give her the benefit of the doubt here, and take her at her word that she is truly dedicated to this idea. I just don't think she is going to pass the CA bar exam without going to law school. I do give her credit for passionately pursuing social change, and I think she was a major influence in Trump's greatest success in passing prison reform.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Can’t wait to pull a bronto next time someone makes fun of her.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I understand the why, but it is just staggering to my brain how few dishes get used when my wife and kids are not home for a few days. Ran/emptied the dishwasher after they left Sunday morning and in over 48 hours, it's gotten about 14% full.

It's also weird how many strange noises I hear in our empty house.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:56 pm I understand the why, but it is just staggering to my brain how few dishes get used when my wife and kids are not home for a few days. Ran/emptied the dishwasher after they left Sunday morning and in over 48 hours, it's gotten about 14% full.

Probably stuff that you just write off as the kids making noise when they're in their bedrooms or whatever.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:56 pm I understand the why, but it is just staggering to my brain how few dishes get used when my wife and kids are not home for a few days. Ran/emptied the dishwasher after they left Sunday morning and in over 48 hours, it's gotten about 14% full.

I live with 2 girls (my gf and my really good friend who moved here from Tucson) and yes, holy crap on the dishes. Plus they are both the "leave half filled cups of water everywhere" and "leave dishes/bowls in the sink with water/food on them when the dishwasher is empty" types. Maddening.

Ditto on the noises. After the kitchen remodel I just hear creaks and shit. I fully expect to come home to something that fell through the ceiling or off of the wall.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

We generate trash, dirty dishes and laundry.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:21 pm

I live with 2 girls (my gf and my really good friend who moved here from Tucson) and yes, holy crap on the dishes. Plus they are both the "leave half filled cups of water everywhere" and "leave dishes/bowls in the sink with water/food on them when the dishwasher is empty" types. Maddening.

Ditto on the noises. After the kitchen remodel I just hear creaks and shit. I fully expect to come home to something that fell through the ceiling or off of the wall.
I think the last time they left for around a week, I actually took the dirty dishes out of the dishwasher and washed them by hand because it just made more sense than waiting for it to fill up.

The other night, I actually got out of bed (I was still awake) and stepped out into the hallway because something sounded like a board creaking, as if someone was walking through the house.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 amThe other night, I actually got out of bed (I was still awake) and stepped out into the hallway because something sounded like a board creaking, as if someone was walking through the house.
Well, someone was!
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I can't think of anything that has made less sense in my life as Champion being a hip urban brand now
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

1993: "Champion gear that I rock, you get your boots knocked"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:55 am I can't think of anything that has made less sense in my life as Champion being a hip urban brand now
Fred Perry being a racist uniform?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:59 pmnot sure why she wouldn't just go to law school for three years instead.
Because law school is a hell of a lot more work than 18 hours a week for three years. And as far as I know, a college degree is a prereq.

I have no doubt that Kim is sincere in her desire to be a lawyer and her belief that she knows criminal law. I also have no doubt that she has no idea what she's talking about and isn't remotely close to having the work ethic and study habits to enable her to pass the bar.

I also seriously doubt that she's going to put in 18 hours a week in a law office for three years. No fucking way.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ever notice that people who tell you to "pick your battles" are basically just telling you to "shut the fuck up, you lose and this isn't worth discussing further"?

Ultimately, there's no battle work picking when you're outranked by everyone. Even if it's for someone you supervise who you feel is getting a raw deal.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So if you had to rank all the euphemisms for "have sex with" based on the average IQ of the person who says it, "pork" would be at the absolute bottom, right?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm So if you had to rank all the euphemisms for "have sex with" based on the average IQ of the person who says it, "pork" would be at the absolute bottom, right?
"Bone" might be lower. With "pork" I'd at least have to account for the chance the speaker is being sarcastic.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm Ever notice that people who tell you to "pick your battles" are basically just telling you to "shut the fuck up, you lose and this isn't worth discussing further"?

Ultimately, there's no battle work picking when you're outranked by everyone. Even if it's for someone you supervise who you feel is getting a raw deal.
Yeah, in your situation.

But I've said this to my kids when they were feeling aggrieved about something in school. Going off about a grade on something where if you go after a teacher, you need to understand the consequences.

I know you know the definition, I'm just saying that it's often used on people that tend to have way too many battles to pick.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:31 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm So if you had to rank all the euphemisms for "have sex with" based on the average IQ of the person who says it, "pork" would be at the absolute bottom, right?
"Bone" might be lower. With "pork" I'd at least have to account for the chance the speaker is being sarcastic.
"Hump."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, pork makes me laugh every time. But I can't imagine anyone saying that without comedic intent.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I love soup.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

How long can a neighbor run a circular saw in their driveway for the entire fucking neighborhood to hear before it’s acceptable to beat them to death with baseball bat?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We’re at two and a half hours straight and it resembles an air raid siren.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Stihl going? They must be making a lot of crafts. Man if I was you, I would just inside, turn up the TV volume and finish the latest season of Bosch.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rass is a true Craftsman of jokes. Showed a lot of Skil there.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:49 pm Rass is a true Craftsman of jokes. Showed a lot of Skil there.
They're Black so I can't Decker.

(Actually, they're white. And the shit finally wrapped up a few minutes ago thank god.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I only just noticed the craftsman in his joke!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:53 pm I only just noticed the craftsman in his joke!
Legend.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just ordered some new khakis for work. Always like to add a pair or two of a high risk color I know I'll probably return.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nice for sitting on the dock. Erstwhile unfashionable , you’ll be.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If only you guys knew how many times living in Las Vegas is like Jodie Foster in “Contact”.

“They should have sent a poet...”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The view from my work of the wreckage from the crane collapse yesterday.

4 people died...and amazingly lucky that it wasn't more. Shudder to think what would have happened if it had been at 3:30pm on a weekday.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Scary stuff. That must have been loud AF.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:46 pm If only you guys knew how many times living in Las Vegas is like Jodie Foster in “Contact”.

“They should have sent a poet...”
When I saw Jodie Foster, I thought you were going with "The Accused."