Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by mister d »

Hey Brian, not everyone has a home where they can set up a separate composting area. Your privilege is showing. SMDH.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I'd like to go back to the guy who threw something in the median and not this whole woods angle that Mr. Allaboutme introduced.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

What about the lady who clearly thinks littering is ok on other routes?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 am I'd like to go back to the guy who threw something in the median and not this whole woods angle that Mr. Allaboutme introduced.
Blue route has a non-pedestrian grass median, masshole.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am
Ryan wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 am I'd like to go back to the guy who threw something in the median and not this whole woods angle that Mr. Allaboutme introduced.
Blue route has a non-pedestrian grass median, masshole.
I was picturing that actually. Is there a roadkill fruit salad (no sauce) all up and down the highway or do they pay people to go along and pick things up like in every other state?

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

"It'll compost" works in the woods where it won't be visible to other people and there is no real risk that the stuff will collect over the time it takes to compost.

I just did a quick google search - one source says 2-5 weeks for a banana peel, another says up to 2 years. I guess it depends on where you are, and also, you can't trust what you read on the internet.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am "It'll compost" works in the woods where it won't be visible to other people and there is no real risk that the stuff will collect over the time it takes to compost.

I just did a quick google search - one source says 2-5 weeks for a banana peel, another says up to 2 years. I guess it depends on where you are, and also, you can't trust what you read on the internet.
Like bicycle riding lessons?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

duff wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 11:19 am "It'll compost" works in the woods where it won't be visible to other people and there is no real risk that the stuff will collect over the time it takes to compost.

Like bicycle riding lessons?
Heh.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So my wife read some article last year about some Aldi (UK supermarket) scotch that won some awards and is super cheap. I happened to have an Aldi by mu AirBnb last night. This shit is pretty damn good and for 13 pounds a bottle it's really good.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, people are clamoring for Aldi to bring it to their US stores.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:44 am Yeah, people are clamoring for Aldi to bring it to their US stores.
According to their website, they came to the US in 1976 and they are close to 2000 US stores. I first heard of them when I graduated college, as a friend got a job at their regional corporate office. There are a bunch around, but I don't think I've actually gone into one. I did go to Lidl, which seems like a similar type store. It was like a European-modern Trader Joe's, without the cool hipster element. Very low priced, almost entirely store branded products. Some unique and interesting items, but I'm not looking to go back anytime soon. They did have chili-flavored cashews that were really good.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, there's one fairly close to our house and their produce is usually pretty good. Don't go as often because they don't have the selection of Kroger, but most of their store brand stuff is fine and at least as good as Kroger store brand. I don't care for their meat products. Just haven't had luck with them.

Their beers are almost all bad to terrible.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I went to a Lidl in Wales, might have been because it was in Wales, but I thought it sucked. Aldi was like a mix of Trader Joes and Ikea.

Had Guinness 4 packs for 4 pounds! They also had a Speyside and Islay single malt for 17 quid that's also rated really high. Have to put in a request for some to be sent across the pond.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So....gonna vent about something for a minute...

Remember the tales of my nutjob ex-wife? The one who took me to court for feeding my kids tacos? (among other atrocities)?

So...my oldest is graduating HS next week. And last night was an 'Academics Awards' night at the school. So, of course I go. After the thing I see my daughter, give her a hug, tell her I'm proud of her, and then I leave. As I'm leaving I get a glimpse of my Ex giving me the stink-eye from across the room.

I get out to my car, and I'm about to pull out, when I see my my daughter going to her car (parked close to mine), so I hop and get my other daughter to take a picture of us. Well, right then, the Ex walks up and tells the girls "I thought we were going for ice cream. You guys are making it too late for that to happen". Seriously, taking the pictures took about 90 seconds.

So I guess after all that, my oldest daughter went to her mom and said "Please don't make a scene by yelling at my father at Graduation" (which is next week), which triggered a HUGE fight, and my Ex is now saying she's not going to pay half of the cost for my daughter to go on an Outward-Bound type of thing in Montana that Gonzaga does for incoming freshmen. And yeah, the Ex had already said she would pay half.

I mean...what the fuck? I've already told my daughter that I'd figure it out...paying for all of it and then trying to get reimbursed by my Ex.

So aggravating.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If you told me I was going to get divorced and I’d STILL have to hear how long extremely quick things are taking, I’d probably have to join the SpaceX program

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Heh.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m just gonna say — and I’m legitimately not trying to be a dick — that with the benefit of hindsight you have to have realized by now this chick was crazy the whole time you knew her right? Like you had that moment in Unbreakable where you realized what was right in front of your face all along, right? Because no one does a 180 like that for so long.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

At some point your daughter is going to flip out on your ex, right?

I had a breaking point with my mother at 17 when she was trying to micromanage my life right up until I left for basic training. It felt great. She couldn't control me anymore.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm I’m just gonna say — and I’m legitimately not trying to be a dick — that with the benefit of hindsight you have to have realized by now this chick was crazy the whole time you knew her right? Like you had that moment in Unbreakable where you realized what was right in front of your face all along, right? Because no one does a 180 like that for so long.
While I agree with this in most cases, some mental illnesses like schizophrenia can have very quick onsets and escalations.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:40 pm I’m just gonna say — and I’m legitimately not trying to be a dick — that with the benefit of hindsight you have to have realized by now this chick was crazy the whole time you knew her right? Like you had that moment in Unbreakable where you realized what was right in front of your face all along, right? Because no one does a 180 like that for so long.
Well...yeah, it would be nice to be able to look back and say "wow...she really was this crazy all along". But, the truth is that she wasn't. She is a radically different person than she was when we met way back in '95.

I think the main thing is this: I'm not sure if I've shared this about her, but she has MS. She was diagnosed in '97. For a long time it was pretty much under control, via medication (she's got the 'Recurring/Remitting' type), but things really seemed to have taken a turn after having our second kid. And its just getting worse. She is having real issues getting with mobility now.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:49 pm At some point your daughter is going to flip out on your ex, right?

I had a breaking point with my mother at 17 when she was trying to micromanage my life right up until I left for basic training. It felt great. She couldn't control me anymore.
My girls were here for dinner tonight, and her and I had a long talk. I guess the trigger was that my daughter wrote her a long letter, which were basically "The Rules" going forward. Like that she was not to make a scene at graduation. That she was not allowed to approach or talk to myself or my GF. That the daughter wants me to drop her off at Gonzaga when she starts in the fall, things like that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not that it forgives being bad about relationships but that is a mitigating factor so that kind of makes more sense.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sometimes you suppress shit like that. Sometimes you create a blind spot for your spouse for the sake of trying to preserve your marriage. Sometimes you blame yourself as to not have to admit that your judgement sucks so bad that you'd marry beezelbub.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:49 pm At some point your daughter is going to flip out on your ex, right?

My girls were here for dinner tonight, and her and I had a long talk. I guess the trigger was that my daughter wrote her a long letter, which were basically "The Rules" going forward. Like that she was not to make a scene at graduation. That she was not allowed to approach or talk to myself or my GF. That the daughter wants me to drop her off at Gonzaga when she starts in the fall, things like that.
It's so encouraging to see that she's taking control of that situation. So many don't because they feel they owe something to a parent even though the parent has chosen to place hurting their ex over the happiness of the kid. I hope she sticks to her guns and does what she feels is best and cuts it completely out if it becomes too toxic. Being a college freshman is hard enough without family drama.

Good on ya bud, she seems like a great kid.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hanging out in a hospital waiting room while my wife has a minor out patient procedure, and they have announced a code purple multiple times in the past 10 minutes. I looked it up and it either means there is a VIP in house and everyone needs to be in their best behavior, OR..... a bomb threat or a violent person in the hospital.

There are enough colors that they could probably differentiate a bit more. IMO.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

maybe you're the VIP
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Or Alberto Tomba is in the building.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:48 pm Not that it forgives being bad about relationships but that is a mitigating factor so that kind of makes more sense.
I've talked with lots of people over the years about her deteriorating condition (both mental and physical) and have been told that yes, MS is a neurological affliction and it can greatly affect people's behavior. I really worry about my daughter's, especially the younger one, who has to live with her for another 3 years.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 am

It's so encouraging to see that she's taking control of that situation. So many don't because they feel they owe something to a parent even though the parent has chosen to place hurting their ex over the happiness of the kid. I hope she sticks to her guns and does what she feels is best and cuts it completely out if it becomes too toxic. Being a college freshman is hard enough without family drama.

I knew nothing about "The Rules" letter until my daughter told me. I think that was exactly the correct approach...trying to set boundaries for her mom.

She is VERY ready to get out of the situation. I told her that now that she's 18, she's not covered by any parenting plan, and she can move into our house anytime...the door is always open for her. She said she's thought about it a few times, but doesn't want to leave her younger sister alone.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 amI looked it up and it either means there is a ViolentIncendiaryPerson in house and everyone needs to be in their best behavior, OR..... a bomb threat or a violent person in the hospital.
Idiot.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:42 am
BSF21 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 am

I knew nothing about "The Rules" letter until my daughter told me. I think that was exactly the correct approach...trying to set boundaries for her mom.

She is VERY ready to get out of the situation. I told her that now that she's 18, she's not covered by any parenting plan, and she can move into our house anytime...the door is always open for her. She said she's thought about it a few times, but doesn't want to leave her younger sister alone.
Sweet girl.

It’s a lot harder to dislike your ex, but I’m willing to try.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Loves Oktoberfest

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

At my new gig, I got tasked with creating the 'Service Tool', which the field service engineers will use in the field to set up/calibrate/troubleshoot these fancy RNA sequencing instruments.

This morning I learned that the QC team calls it 'God Mode'.

So...I created God. Can put that on my business card?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:40 am
Jerloma wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 am What the hell is "camaroing"?
Getting someones phone number, posting a for sale for a fictional camaro with that person's phone number.....
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

mister d wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:33 pm
rass wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 amI looked it up and it either means there is a ViolentIncendiaryPerson in house and everyone needs to be in their best behavior, OR..... a bomb threat or a violent person in the hospital.
Idiot.
"Violet Incendiary Person"..

thats why its a code purple
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Taking produce through the self-checkout lane should be at least a misdemeanor.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:56 pm Taking produce through the self-checkout lane should be at least a misdemeanor.
Depends to me if there's already a bar code on it. Bananas are easy. Someone looking up bok choy can eat a dick.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Giff wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:58 pm Someone looking up bok choy can eat a dick.
Two stations, both occupied by guys with produce, one of whom was manually looking up multiple different things. Normal lanes weren't overly busy, either.

That's also a great non-sequitur quote, by the way.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I feel like I could absolutely crush a Ted Talk. There's no chance in hell that Ray Lewis or Rick Warren have anything more profound to say than me.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

"Viral" has replaced "Cyber" as the #1 thing that people who don't know shit about computers like to say to sound like they are hip to technology.