Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by govmentchedda »

Ocean Beach by Red House Painters is a fantastic album, no matter how much of a dick Kozelek is.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

What do you think the #1 thing we look back on and shake our heads at in 50 years will be? For me, I think it's gonna be all the unhealthy shit that companies put in our food to make it look better and the government just allowing it, and often encouraging us to eat these products. I think it will be a future generation's "wait, you guys didn't know smoking was bad for you?" and stuff like that.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 am What do you think the #1 thing we look back on and shake our heads at in 50 years will be? For me, I think it's gonna be all the unhealthy shit that companies put in our food to make it look better and the government just allowing it, and often encouraging us to eat these products. I think it will be a future generation's "wait, you guys didn't know smoking was bad for you?" and stuff like that.
That'll be a distant second.

In 50 years we will look back wondering how so many people failed to realize that climate change denial is/was always a calculated and ultimately disingenuous response.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 am What do you think the #1 thing we look back on and shake our heads at in 50 years will be? For me, I think it's gonna be all the unhealthy shit that companies put in our food to make it look better and the government just allowing it, and often encouraging us to eat these products. I think it will be a future generation's "wait, you guys didn't know smoking was bad for you?" and stuff like that.
As the family shopper, we cut out most all of that stuff about a decade ago for that very reason. "I have no proof this is going to end up making everyone sick, but it sure feels like this would be something that makes everyone sick." Edible asbestos.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 am
As the family shopper, we cut out most all of that stuff about a decade ago for that very reason. "I have no proof this is going to end up making everyone sick, but it sure feels like this would be something that makes everyone sick." Edible asbestos.
Funny you use as asbestos as your analogy. One of my law school friends analogized processed foods/food additives to asbestos and tobacco because he was convinced that it would be the next big source of massive personal injury litigation.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Climate change.

But the food additives are a big one as well. But even when certain governments make efforts to point people in a less unhealthy direction, they get pilloried as being communists devoted to running a nanny state.

And I can remember when some people were pissed off that wearing seat and shoulder belts became mandatory.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:17 am

In 50 years we will look back wondering how so many people failed to realize that climate change denial is/was always a calculated and ultimately disingenuous response.
I'm going to lump both of these together and say allowing corporate money in politics, which leaves us with a government that puts corporate interests above health and safety, and rallies the Republican/Conservative masses to hate regulations that prevent pollution and poisoning us because it hurts corporate profits.

Who the fuck am I kidding, that'll never happen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm going to lump both of these together and say allowing corporate money in politics, which leaves us with a government that puts corporate interests above health and safety, and rallies the Republican/Conservative masses to hate regulations that prevent pollution and poisoning us because it hurts corporate profits.

:STANDING OVATION GIF:
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Right now the CrossFit Games AND the largest board gaming convention, GenCon, are happening at the same time.

I'm probably like the only person who would be conflicted by this overlap.

(However, I toned down going to CrossFit considerably after I realized one day that the price to go is basically a mortgage payment is you add up all the months and my back and shoulders just cannot take that volume of lifting in that manner these days.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Nice. Speaking of being in a small cross-section of the Venn Diagram, the Eagles play at Miami the same week as Art Basel, which would be a great reason to go if I had the money or time (a friend of mine exhibits there; some works of his were purchased by Real Housewives).
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 am

I think that stuff though is going to include everyday things like most of our bread and fruits/vegetables. Like it's really hard to avoid everything and still manage to get food from a grocery store. There are bad things in so many food items and to (hopefully) avoid them you gotta spend a fortune.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Good point, I reply from my future beachfront house in east Naples.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:11 am
Climate change.

But the food additives are a big one as well. But even when certain governments make efforts to point people in a less unhealthy direction, they get pilloried as being communists devoted to running a nanny state.

And I can remember when some people were pissed off that wearing seat and shoulder belts became mandatory.

But they are pointing us toward foods that are still unhealthy as shit, and probably not even knowingly since this is so ingrained in our food chain.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:18 pm

Of course not. While we're all in disbelief about the thing that ends up taking the mantle for this question, there will be another thing that people 50 years from them look back on in awe, and so on and so forth.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:46 pm
Climate change.

But they are pointing us toward foods that are still unhealthy as shit, and probably not even knowingly since this is so ingrained in our food chain.
Good point. Just look at the subsidies to dairy, pig and especially beef farmers. The world would be a much better place without so many cows.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Your mileage may vary, but fuck camping.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:31 am Your mileage may vary, but fuck camping.
Man was not meant to be more than 100 yards from flush toilets.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:31 am Your mileage may vary, but fuck camping.
I've backyard camped twice and that's as far as I can ever imagine going.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Camping, yes. But spending the day on the lake with no cloud in the sky and temps in the mid 80s. Pure bliss.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I didn't mind camping in the desert. And car camping at Coachella wasn't all that bad.

But camping in a wet and swampy environment or an extremely cold one is a no-go.

A guy in my squadron, in the years he was here, camped in nearly every mainstream and offbeat location in New Mexico. He also did so in Arizona and Colorado. Like, every weekend. Now he's in New Jersey. He's still camping, but it looks like he's traveling outside the state to camp.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:44 pm I didn't mind camping in the desert. And car camping at Coachella wasn't all that bad.

But camping in a wet and swampy environment or an extremely cold one is a no-go.

A guy in my squadron, in the years he was here, camped in nearly every mainstream and offbeat location in New Mexico. He also did so in Arizona and Colorado. Like, every weekend. Now he's in New Jersey. He's still camping, but it looks like he's traveling outside the state to camp.
The last time I went camping in NJ, and probably the last time I ever go camping anywhere, I came down with Lyme disease. I used to like camping, but I think I'm done.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:18 pm I can swing a bat (and I assume a club) without issue, I just can’t throw at all, both dead arm and pain. Just doesn’t seem worth it since normal humans don’t throw much during their day.
If you just have impingement, which is essentially the bones around the RC pinching it when you throw, it's worth it. They don't even tough the RC. Just go in arhtroscopically, and shave a little off the humerus and scapula allowing the RC to breathe. No real rehab and in 4-6 weeks, your shoulder will feel 19 again.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm assuming he's gotten that checked out already but if not, yeah get that fixed. I'm not quite sure of the severity of the rotator cuff compared to the labrum - I've read labrum is worse but I don't really know. Either way if it's only affecting your throwing I wouldn't do it because you probably won't be able to throw afterwards either.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Right, I can't throw (without pain) and I can't fall asleep with my arm above my head. I'm sure there's some serious guy workout stuff I can't do either, but those aren't in the plans anyway. Its just not affecting enough of my life to bother with rehab and all that.

(Seems like an omen that I'll completely blow it out during tonight's game.)
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Does it hurt really bad when you put your seatbelt on?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What kind of pussy wears a seatbelt?

(No, but I only drive so its crossing the other way. It does hurt if I don't think and reach back to give something to / take something from a kid in the backseat.)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am Right, I can't throw (without pain) and I can't fall asleep with my arm above my head. I'm sure there's some serious guy workout stuff I can't do either, but those aren't in the plans anyway. Its just not affecting enough of my life to bother with rehab and all that.

For me it didn't affect anything else at first but slowly started to. Eventually I couldn't do regular guy workout stuff like a standard bench press or reach over my head very far. That's when I figured it was worth it.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can you do all that now?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:59 am What kind of pussy wears a seatbelt?

(No, but I only drive so its crossing the other way. It does hurt if I don't think and reach back to give something to / take something from a kid in the backseat.)
No, I mean when you reach over with your right hand and pull the seatbelt across your chest to the buckle.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh, no. That's fine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 am
mister d wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 am Right, I can't throw (without pain) and I can't fall asleep with my arm above my head. I'm sure there's some serious guy workout stuff I can't do either, but those aren't in the plans anyway. Its just not affecting enough of my life to bother with rehab and all that.

For me it didn't affect anything else at first but slowly started to. Eventually I couldn't do regular guy workout stuff like a standard bench press or reach over my head very far. That's when I figured it was worth it.
Forgot about all the workout issues... I used to have certain activities that would cause my shoulder to complete lose strength for a few seconds, followed by 2 minutes of extreme pain, then my shoulder would go numb for a few hours. Happened doing decline bench, and the bar dropped as if I just let go. Amazingly, it caught the rack. I was in too much pain to realize what almost happened, but my friend spotting was freaking out. Never seen someone turn white like that, and literally shaking. If it didn't catch the rack, it was headed towards my neck, head or chest. Even after the surgeries, I've never done decline free weights ever again.

Even after all the rehab, most chest and back exercises hurt/tire out my shoulder before the targeted muscle. I used to play squash a lot pre surgery, and it was pretty much every time, my shoulder would feel like it got stuck, do the pop, pain then numb thing. I'd wait 2 minutes, then when it went numb, I could play pain free the rest of the game. Following rehab, thats happened only a handful of times in 15 years. I started playing tennis, and never felt a twinge in my shoulders ever, which I couldn't do pre surgery.

Not sure how much things have improved diagnostically, but it took visiting several surgeons over many years to diagnose. They all wanted to perform a different surgery, and none of them seemed worth it. Finally had a surgeon who wanted to go in with a scope, and he diagnosed and fixed it that day. Apparently, labrums weren't visible on MRIs back then.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Adam Jones, guitarist of Tool went to high school together at Libertyville High in Chicago.
Totally Kafkaesque
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:08 am Can you do all that now?
Yes. Reaching high is virtually pain-free, the weights occasionally have slight but tolerable pain.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Climate change.

I thought of this discussion listening to this interview: https://www.wgbh.org/news/science-and-t ... al-dilemma

Our relationship with cell phones is so bad right now (I know mine is), and I would hope adults get a better handle of it as a society. The scarier aspect is technology's (social media pressure and the addictive designs of video games and other apps)effect on children: socially, brain development, everything. What made me think of the Gunpowder discussion was infants and toddlers staring at phones and iPads. In a few years, I could see people not believing that parents let their toddlers play games on phones and iPads for more than a few minutes and that they let their preteens socialize with strangers on instagram, etc.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I hate it at restaurants. Just gives the appearance you wish the kid didn’t have to be there at all.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:59 am I hate it at restaurants. Just gives the appearance you wish the kid didn’t have to be there at all.
You have it backwards with teens. They’d rather be anywhere than out to dinner with their parents, at least mine feel that way.

Here’s the rub, what else do you want them to do? I’ve tried to suggest things to my teen and I get blank stares. Nobody goes outside to play. Nobody meets up to go bike riding or play ball anymore. This is the way kids (teens) “socialize” now. Watch Wall-E if you want to see where we are headed with screens.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ah, I meant younger (I have almost 8 and 4.5). I know nothing of teens.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:46 pm Ah, I meant younger (I have almost 8 and 4.5). I know nothing of teens.
Fair enough. At that age my kids were still into coloring, hangman, I Spy, etc.

Wow, Q is 8? Damn that went by quickly.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s horrifying.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

bfj wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:44 pm
mister d wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:59 am I hate it at restaurants. Just gives the appearance you wish the kid didn’t have to be there at all.
You have it backwards with teens. They’d rather be anywhere than out to dinner with their parents, at least mine feel that way.

Here’s the rub, what else do you want them to do? I’ve tried to suggest things to my teen and I get blank stares. Nobody goes outside to play. Nobody meets up to go bike riding or play ball anymore. This is the way kids (teens) “socialize” now. Watch Wall-E if you want to see where we are headed with screens.
It's something I struggle with. Yes, it's a part of life and we have to adjust, but right now there is so much exploitation (by companies and bad people). My hope is the generation that grew up with cell phones finds a way to use them better.

Also, don't take your kids out to dinner. Yes, that's an insensitive answer to people that can't afford childcare or who have children that can't be watched by others. However, compare how often your parents took you out to restaurants to how often children are taken to restaurants now. Hell, every microbrewery I go to now has kids running all over the place. Now get off my lawn.