Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 pm Have I got a water bottle for them!
Hydroflask is wondering 'should we take advantage of this'? But they are worried about alienating their core customers...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:03 pm
brian wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:33 am She obviously should have been found guilty, she obviously deserves jail time, but seems like this is a situation where it was more like manslaughter than murder. I'd imagine these are the kinds of cases that are hardest for the good judges, where it takes a difficult kind of wisdom to decide how long to sentence someone to prison for a stupid, avoidable mistake.
Isn't this is a bit like calling a car crash a car accident?
Yeah. I get there's other factors involved as well especially race. I doubt she would have killed a white woman had there been one living in that apartment. That still doesn't mean she's a "racist" (she very likely has racial bias*, but I think we can agree it's a long distance between unjustified racial fear and someone who commits a hate crime, just as an example).

I just don't know how we really judge people in a just society for crimes like these. The really horrible ones are easy and the ones like a kid stealing a pack of gum are easy as well. It's a knotty philosophical question -- I don't know how judges do it.

* - As do we all to some extent.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 pm Have I got a water bottle for them!
I laughed.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:37 pm So....has anyone heard of the 'VSCO Girls' fad/trend? (see here for an explainer: VSCO girls and how teen culture goes viral).

Anyways...the GF's daughter works for Hydroflask, doing marketing/social media stuff, and they are completely baffled by the whole thing. I guess that Hydroflask is part of the look, and all of a sudden Hydroflask's mentions are exploding, and they couldn't figure out why for a long time. They really don't know how to handle it, and even if they should. She called us the other night to talk to my 15 yo daughter to try and get an explanation of the whole thing.
Yes, my 13 and 11 year old are fucking obsessed, and walk around saying, "SKSKSKSK" and "and I oop".
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:40 pm My roommate's bf has young daughters, so he's in the know about it. He shared a couple memes to our group chat and the rest of us are like "Huh?"

It's effectively a "Basic Bitch" adjacent meme with very, very specific brands.

Edit:

For everyone else: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/vsco-girl
Pop culture changes so fast and is so fragmented these days, it's impossible not to be a confused or clueless old man. So many words in there I don't comprehend.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I was just watching an interview with Kiefer Sutherland and he had his watch on backwards (? - face on the inside of the wrist). I vaguely remember this being a thing in high school or something, probably just to be different. Does anyone else do this? Why? I know he's in a band so maybe it makes sense for a musician?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am constantly amazed that so many people don;t return cursory greetings when greeted on walks.

I take my beast to the big park nearby every morning, and so many people don;t even return a simple "hello" or "good morning." How hard is it to mutter a syllable or two?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I would like to start a "Pruitt Visits Manhattan" GoFundMe.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 am I am constantly amazed that so many people don;t return cursory greetings when greeted on walks.
Sounds like you need to move to a more polite country!
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am
Pruitt wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:39 am I am constantly amazed that so many people don;t return cursory greetings when greeted on walks.
"I went to the park, and fewer than 50 people unnecessarily apologized to me!"
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I take my beast to the big park nearby every morning, and so many people don;t even return a simple "hello" or "good morning." How hard is it to mutter a syllable or two?
I can't believe how often it happens in my office.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:08 am
Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am
"I went to the park, and fewer than 50 people unnecessarily apologized to me!"
Toronto is known as the crankiest place in Canada.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Ryan wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:44 am I was just watching an interview with Kiefer Sutherland and he had his watch on backwards (? - face on the inside of the wrist). I vaguely remember this being a thing in high school or something, probably just to be different. Does anyone else do this? Why? I know he's in a band so maybe it makes sense for a musician?
I do that sometimes when I'm sailing, so I don't scratch the watch face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well there's your answer.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When we walk the dog in our little town, I always say hello to the random strangers we pass. My wife rarely does this and occasionally becomes exasperated if I'm too perky about it. "What? Are you running for mayor?"

Ten years ago, almost everybody returned my greetings. But, nowadays, our town's population has turned over quite a bit as housing prices rose dramatically, and definitely fewer people say hello back to me. When they don't, I assume they are city people who don't do that sort of thing.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Drop a "howdy" on someone in Boston if you ever want a strange look.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I usually say hi to the dogs and it's a toss up whether I directly acknowledge the people.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I've learned working at this job that black folks get PISSED (offended) when you don't greet people in the office. I was completely oblivious to this, until it was brought up (generally) in a meeting that got into everyone's feels.

I'm a wave/say hi to neighborhood type person, obviously not on the streets of a decent sized city. My wife dubbed me the mayor of our 'hood long ago, and I don't fight it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

RE: my last post, I guess "verbally" would be more correct than "directly". I'm not a complete weirdo.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm I usually say hi to the dogs and it's a toss up whether I directly acknowledge the people.
My wife hates that I do this. "What if they think you're being creepy?" ...come on.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm I usually say hi to the dogs and it's a toss up whether I directly acknowledge the people.
People walking their dogs always say hi to Izzy and I.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:43 pm
My wife hates that I do this. "What if they think you're being creepy?" ...come on.
Well soon all those Indy people are gonna be high on the pot!!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:40 pm I've learned working at this job that black folks get PISSED (offended) when you don't greet people in the office. I was completely oblivious to this, until it was brought up (generally) in a meeting that got into everyone's feels.

I'm a wave/say hi to neighborhood type person, obviously not on the streets of a decent sized city. My wife dubbed me the mayor of our 'hood long ago, and I don't fight it.
I experienced this with my office mate. She is in her 60s and I best be saying morning when I walk in and good night to her when she leaves. Not sure if it an age thing or race.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My stock thing to say to somebody walking their dog is look at their pooch and say, "There's a good dog!". People always like that, because they always agree.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

duff wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:09 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:40 pm I've learned working at this job that black folks get PISSED (offended) when you don't greet people in the office. I was completely oblivious to this, until it was brought up (generally) in a meeting that got into everyone's feels.

I experienced this with my office mate. She is in her 60s and I best be saying morning when I walk in and good night to her when she leaves. Not sure if it an age thing or race.
It was very clearly a race thing here at my office, which is probably 45-55 B to W ratio.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

In the neighborhood where we have our summer place, everyone still waves at each other when they pass in their cars. Passing someone while walking a dog is a several-minute conversation.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I think that the majority of people at my work unbuckle their belt and presumably unbutton their pants just to take a leak at the urinal. It's one of those things that bothers me even though I have no idea the fuck why.

But seriously...why? Do they not know how flies work?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:32 pm I think that the majority of people at my work unbuckle their belt and presumably unbutton their pants just to take a leak at the urinal. It's one of those things that bothers me even though I have no idea the fuck why.

But seriously...why? Do they not know how flies work?
I don't get it... I walked into a public bathroom last week, and as the urinals came into view, I saw a kid maybe 5 yo at the urinal with his pants and underwear around his ankles. Thought it was cute, then I took another step and I saw his grandfather at the urinal next to him, pants an underwear around his ankles. Not cute.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I like sitting down in the bathroom, regardless of what's about to happen. First off, almost invariably, a #1 turns into a #2. It's exciting!

Secondly, when I try to use the fly method, I pee on myself... sometimes. I think it happened that I had to go real bad in elementary school and I couldn't fish out my stuff quick enough and... That wasn't cool, man.

So, I just avoid the fly altogether and sit down to pee... I do stand to pooh, though.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:45 pm I like sitting down in the bathroom, regardless of what's about to happen. First off, almost invariably, a #1 turns into a #2. It's exciting!

Secondly, when I try to use the fly method, I pee on myself... sometimes. I think it happened that I had to go real bad in elementary school and I couldn't fish out my stuff quick enough and... That wasn't cool, man.

So, I just avoid the fly altogether and sit down to pee... I do stand to pooh, though.
You sit in urinals, right? Otherwise, that would just be weird.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like a lot just happened in this thread in a very short period of time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:53 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:45 pm I like sitting down in the bathroom, regardless of what's about to happen. First off, almost invariably, a #1 turns into a #2. It's exciting!

You sit in urinals, right? Otherwise, that would just be weird.
No, no... I take my shits in the urinals. It gets awkward when only the short-knocker one is available.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

So I got listed as a co-author on a paper about a project that I worked on at the Allen Institute:

A Petascale Automated Imaging Pipeline for Mapping Neuronal Circuits with High-throughput Transmission Electron Microscopy
Serial-section electron microscopy is the method of choice for studying cellular structure and network connectivity in the brain. We have built a pipeline of parallel imaging using transmission electron automated microscopes (piTEAM) that scales this technology and enables the acquisition of petascale datasets containing local cortical microcircuits. The distributed platform is composed of multiple transmission electron microscopes that image, in parallel, different sections from the same block of tissue, all under control of a custom acquisition software (pyTEM) that implements 24/7 continuous autonomous imaging. The suitability of this architecture for large scale electron microscopy imaging was demonstrated by acquiring a volume of more than 1 mm3 of mouse neocortex spanning four different visual areas. Over 26,500 ultrathin tissue sections were imaged, yielding a dataset of more than 2 petabytes. Our current burst imaging rate is 500 Mpixel/s (image capture only) per microscope and net imaging rate is 100 Mpixel/s (including stage movement, image capture, quality control, and post processing). This brings the combined burst acquisition rate of the pipeline to 3 Gpixel/s and the net rate to 600 Mpixel/s with six microscopes running acquisition in parallel, which allowed imaging a cubic millimeter of mouse visual cortex at synaptic resolution in less than 6 months.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congrats, DiS.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Ryan 0-1
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It all sounded ultra-impressive until the end of the final sentence...

(congrats)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:55 pm Congrats, DiS.
Thanks. Its cool that I got listed as a co-author, even though they sacked my ass a year ago.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

"How To Poop In A Urinal: An Examination Of The Geometric Necessity Of Leg Splaying" by Nonlinear FC
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Damn that's cool, Dave.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Have you every really just sat somewhere unconventional for a whole hour and just observed everything? Like a park bench or something? It’s amazing.