Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Shirley »

There isn't much incentive to cheat when the odds already guarantee a win.
Totally Kafkaesque
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

TWILTS.

Some days it's about sports, some days it's about music, and some days you argue over the principles of statistics. We really have it all.

Thanks for the insight Shirley. I think the way I'm saying it isn't quite conveying the point I'm trying to make, but your points are well taken and you've obviously got a lot stronger background in maths than I do.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I do love me some statistics and probability talk.
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I had a high school math teacher use class one day to statistically prove it was "worth" playing the lottery (this would have been the Ohio Lottery in 1991/92 which was, I'm guessing, 6 of 47 numbers at the time) if the jackpot was over 14 million. Wish I could remember the calculation.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:58 pm I had a high school math teacher use class one day to statistically prove it was "worth" playing the lottery (this would have been the Ohio Lottery in 1991/92 which was, I'm guessing, 6 of 47 numbers at the time) if the jackpot was over 14 million. Wish I could remember the calculation.
The MegaMillions/Powerball jackpots reach that point occasionally (with a caveat). The odds of getting the winning numbers are IIRC about 1 in 252 million, so if the jackpot is over $504 million then you're technically getting "pot odds" (since the tickets cost $2).

The caveat is that the prize value is for the 26-year annuity and for a $500 million jackpot, the cash value would be about $310-320 million.

ETA: Also the possibility of having to share the prize.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:58 pm I had a high school math teacher use class one day to statistically prove it was "worth" playing the lottery (this would have been the Ohio Lottery in 1991/92 which was, I'm guessing, 6 of 47 numbers at the time) if the jackpot was over 14 million. Wish I could remember the calculation.
The problem with the "is it worth it" analyses is that they assume that a every dollar has the same value to a person and that a million dollars is worth exactly one million times what a single dollar is worth to you.

But we don't live that way. The marginal value to me of a dollar is basically zero. My assets and purchasing power are what they are, and one more or less dollar doesn't change my life. I am fortunate enough that I am not going to run out of money before my next paycheck, and even if I did, an extra dollar really wouldn't do anything anyway.

But if I won a million dollars? For me that's economic security for life. The rest of my kids' college paid, my and my wife's retirement funded, etc.

So if I lived in a state that had a lottery, I'd definitely buy something like 5-10 bucks per week worth of tickets. Because why the hell not.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am
brian wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:32 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 am So if my school changes its name, does my swamp handle have to change? Have to believe they keep W&L for branding..but maybe not...maybe I can just keep wlu and assume it is a typo.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... ngton-lee/
Not sure I'm going to outlive my school's nickname myself.
I have to think that full tribe names stand a better chance of surviving, but at the same time, there's probably no downside to rebranding just to avoid the small downside of keeping the name. Sell all new merch!
A few years ago, my daughter's high school changed its nickname from Cherokees to Ravens. It upset some old-timers around here. But, the strangest thing to me was how they ever chose that nickname in the first place, since Cherokees are not native to California.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 am So if my school changes its name, does my swamp handle have to change? Have to believe they keep W&L for branding..but maybe not...maybe I can just keep wlu and assume it is a typo.
I have to think that full tribe names stand a better chance of surviving, but at the same time, there's probably no downside to rebranding just to avoid the small downside of keeping the name. Sell all new merch!
A few years ago, my daughter's high school changed its nickname from Cherokees to Ravens. It upset some old-timers around here. But, the strangest thing to me was how they ever chose that nickname in the first place, since Cherokees are not native to California.
I'm old enough to remember when Stanford changed from Indians to Cardinal. For a football season, at every home game, the Stanford Band would do a halftime show presenting their nominee for a new mascot. The one that stands out in my memory is 'RobberBarons'.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:31 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:10 pm
I'm old enough to remember when Stanford changed from Indians to Cardinal. For a football season, at every home game, the Stanford Band would do a halftime show presenting their nominee for a new mascot. The one that stands out in my memory is 'RobberBarons'.
One of the local schools around here changed their nickname from Redskins to Redhawks. You would have thought it was the worst thing in the world for those that opposed the change. People choose the strangest hills to die upon.

The city I grew up in closed two of their high schools maybe 15-20 years ago. Now they only have one. They decided to keep Anderson High School, but there was debate on whether they should change the nickname and mascot. The city almost had a riot. So they are still the Anderson Indians. It would have been an ideal time to have gone a different direction. Something more fitting for the area, say Jobless.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

duff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:22 pm The city I grew up in closed two of their high schools maybe 15-20 years ago. Now they only have one. They decided to keep Anderson High School, but there was debate on whether they should change the nickname and mascot. The city almost had a riot. So they are still the Anderson Indians. It would have been an ideal time to have gone a different direction. Something more fitting for the area, say Jobless.
Is the high school gym still called The Teepee?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:53 pm
duff wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:22 pm The city I grew up in closed two of their high schools maybe 15-20 years ago. Now they only have one. They decided to keep Anderson High School, but there was debate on whether they should change the nickname and mascot. The city almost had a riot. So they are still the Anderson Indians. It would have been an ideal time to have gone a different direction. Something more fitting for the area, say Jobless.
Is the high school gym still called The Teepee?
The Wigwam!

There was a fire there a while back. I think they still may play games there. It was an amazing place to play ball in though. One of the largest high school gymnasiums in the country. Not a fieldhouse, just a plain old gym. Sectional was always a blast until they moved away from single class. The bball tourney lost a lot of luster after that.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, they can't just change it and go with Washington University. Or Washington College. Or University of Washington. Or George Washington University. Or even University of Mary Washington. All taken.

But then, apparently there were some faculty saying they needed to drop the Washington name anyway. It'll be interesting to see if my alma mater gets any heat over being named for a slave owner. I'm sure there's been at least one student petition.

I suspect that as a country, we'll decide to draw the line somewhere between the founding fathers who were slaveholders and Confederate generals/soldiers/etc. This time, at least.

As we get used to that, there may be a later reckoning when we decide we are no longer comfortable with statues/schools/parks/states/etc named after Washington, Jefferson, Madison, etc. That'll be interesting.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

How about Washington and Grant?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 pmAs we get used to that, there may be a later reckoning when we decide we are no longer comfortable with statues/schools/parks/states/etc named after Washington, Jefferson, Madison, etc. That'll be interesting.
What will be interesting is how many people currently advocating for removing confederate statues will flip sides to argue against action against memorials to the group you mentioned.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:08 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 pmAs we get used to that, there may be a later reckoning when we decide we are no longer comfortable with statues/schools/parks/states/etc named after Washington, Jefferson, Madison, etc. That'll be interesting.
What will be interesting is how many people currently advocating for removing confederate statues will flip sides to argue against action against memorials to the group you mentioned.
Unpopular opinion: There IS a difference between honoring a centuries-old white supremacist who fought to create/preserve the U.S. and honoring a centuries-old white supremacist who fought against the U.S.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't disagree its different and the confederate group is worse than the president group, but I don't think that means the line is in between those two groups.
Last edited by mister d on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

My biggest thing between the Confederate memorials and those for the founding fathers is that the Confederates were traitors and are remembered mainly for losing the Civil War. The founding fathers, although mostly slave owners, did other amazing things for this country. Slavery is a stain we will always have, but is there a need to eradicate all the good that some slave owners did just because they owned slaves during a time where it was legal?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well ... it was legal because they didn't care to make it illegal, right?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can't find the tweet, but it was a (far more well written than this) re-imagining of our history where its essentially the same but jewish people were enslaved here almost a century. Would we still look back with the "we have to judge them for the time they lived in" narrative or would we be far more harsh in condemning our own past and those who created it?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think there's a pretty clear difference between men being honored for their amazing achievements even though they also did terrible things vs honoring men because they fought for terrible things.

But I think there's a reasonable argument the position that we shouldn't honor ANY slave owners. I'm not there yet, but I understand people who are.

I also think it's reasonable to say that when we're talking about honor people from past times, we're gonna HAVE to apply some ethical relativism or we're gonna find ourselves not able to honor pretty much anyone from the distant past.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Agree with 1 and 2, 3 is where I have issues. If I were a black dude instead of a white dude, I imagine I wouldn't co-sign.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:32 pm Agree with 1 and 2, 3 is where I have issues. If I were a black dude instead of a white dude, I imagine I wouldn't co-sign.
I'm talking about more broadly than American founding fathers. I'm talking about the whole world. I'm guessing if you look back at most famous world leaders in history, they did some really horrific things to become those great leaders.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Is there a significant reason why we have honor people from the distant past (or even more recent times, as there are remarkably shitty people who have been memorialized with buildings, etc. - Reagan, for example) at all?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Everything should be named after dogs (except that MAGA retriever)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fuck that dog
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Torn between saying it’s Friday evening and not stirring up trouble or saying that I would pet maga retriever because they’re all good dogs or asking if pitbulls (and mixes thereof) can get a statue.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well pit bulls aren’t the problem right? It’s bad owners.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

“It was 2020. Dogs didn’t know any better!”

C’mon guys.

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:11 pm
Unpopular opinion: There IS a difference between honoring a centuries-old white supremacist who fought to create/preserve the U.S. and honoring a centuries-old white supremacist who fought against the U.S.
Someone on Twitter pointed out that the difference is honoring people *despite* their faults and honoring people *for* their faults. It’s not like Bragg or Lee or Forrest were big heroes who also happened to commit treason in defense of the enslavement of an entire race. The treason is their claim to fame.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm
sancarlos wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:11 pm
Someone on Twitter pointed out that the difference is honoring people *despite* their faults and honoring people *for* their faults. It’s not like Bragg or Lee or Forrest were big heroes who also happened to commit treason in defense of the enslavement of an entire race. The treason is their claim to fame.
Yes, that's why I'm saying that's where the line for me is today. I'm also cool with throwing in folks like Andrew Jackson or local bigots (like the guy here who founded the local newspaper but was also a vocal racist) who maybe weren't famous because of their bigotry, but they worked damn hard at it.

But I concede that other folks have a reasonable argument that my line is too accepting of some figures. I'm sure it'll move again as well.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Yeah, I think my line is probably similar to yours, Dave. Everyone is a sinner. We have all done bad things, and when you're in power, the bad things you can do is worse.

George Washington fought against the British Empire to help found a nation based on the principal that no one should be the "subject" of a monarch. We should all be free and responsible for self-government, with inalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Owning slaves is just what you did as a planter in 1760s Virginia. You told yourself that Blacks weren't fully people, or that if they were, they were so primitive that you were acting for their benefit by civilizing them. You basically said the same thing about women, and Indians. Of course, if I weren't a white man, I might feel differently, but I think he's on the right side of the line.

Andrew Jackson, I think is on the wrong side. To me, as an ignorant non-expert, he seems most famous for disregarding a Supreme Court ruling and ethnically cleansing Georgia of the Cherokee.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Beyond what has already been stated re: Confederate statues, a huge issue I have with those statues is that the vast majority were put up 50-100 years after the Civil War era. They weren't put up due to local reverence and fervor, they were funded by the Daughters of the Confederacy as part of the whole propaganda effort around the Lost Cause movement.

They are inherently racist, due to their origin.

Another area where people are going to turn are presidents and members of congress that were active in the genocide and repression of Native Americans (indigenous people). That's a story this country REALLY doesn't want to hear about itself.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Needless to say I am not in the majority on this but I like statues. Like art to me. We need more not less. All you need to do is put a plaque up to help put the depicted person in context. Or build monuments to others adjacent. Even better if others can find better more interesting ways to bring context or incorporate opinions of viewers. Maybe a statue on campus of Washington whipping slaves. That would be a whole lot more interesting than an empty patch of concrete.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is so comical. In Los Angeles alone, I’d guess the Chargers are less popular than UCLA, USC, the Dodgers, Rams, Lakers, Clippers, Kings, and Galaxy.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Something has gone wrong with that. Just can't see osu being the most popular team in Michigan
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm This is so comical. In Los Angeles alone, I’d guess the Chargers are less popular than UCLA, USC, the Dodgers, Rams, Lakers, Clippers, Kings, and Galaxy.
That was clearly done intending to get people to angrily tweet about it. It's obviously wrong in nearly every case.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nevada is probably right. Michigan is definitely not right. MSU fans hate tOSU almost as much as UM fans.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

In case you were wondering, Kentucky is correct.

But I do not believe Louisiana.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »