Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Johnnie »

A similar bureau did the same thing for food places. They put Sbarro for New York.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Makes you wonder whether anyone who knows sports even looked at that thing.

Bills #1 in New York?

Marlins #1 in Florida?

Astros #1 in Texas?

White Sox #1 in Illinois?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Weird how the oldest mention of "Sports Housing and Recreational Tourism Statistics" in a google search is from 15 hours ago.

Almost like Barstool is fucking with people.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:41 am Weird how the oldest mention of "Sports Housing and Recreational Tourism Statistics" in a google search is from 15 hours ago.

But if that were the case, why would you have some that are obviously correct and some that are asinine?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Because they are just fucking with people and it amuses them because they are assholes?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:42 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:41 am Weird how the oldest mention of "Sports Housing and Recreational Tourism Statistics" in a google search is from 15 hours ago.

But if that were the case, why would you have some that are obviously correct and some that are asinine?
To also dupe the partially gullible into thinking it's legitimate along with the truly gullible?

You would only capitalize words in "Sports Housing and Recreational Tourism Statistics" if it were an organization (non-presidentially) and not just two separate pieces of data (sports housing, recreational tourism statistics). And "sports housing" on its own seems to be about hotels working to provide rooms for youth sports teams.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Am I on mute?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like a super smart guy, maybe Ryan if he were around, could probably solve this caper in no time flat.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:44 am Makes you wonder whether anyone who knows sports even looked at that thing.

Bills #1 in New York?

Marlins #1 in Florida?

Astros #1 in Texas?

White Sox #1 in Illinois?
I know it's a joke, but the Astros are the clear #2 team in Texas. No one gives a shit about the Rangers outside of DFW and Astros dominate points south, especially due to it's minor league teams in Corpus and (finally back) in Round Rock. And the whole winning a championship thing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:50 pm Needless to say I am not in the majority on this but I like statues. Like art to me. We need more not less. All you need to do is put a plaque up to help put the depicted person in context. Or build monuments to others adjacent. Even better if others can find better more interesting ways to bring context or incorporate opinions of viewers. Maybe a statue on campus of Washington whipping slaves. That would be a whole lot more interesting than an empty patch of concrete.
This is an interesting take. My issue, as others stated, is the reason many of these statues were put up was a backlash to ending Jim Crow and the advancement of the Civil Rights Movement. They aren't artifacts of history, but intentionally meant to intimidate and prevent the movement for equal rights. I kind of like the idea of a plaque or addition to a statue explaining this or taking the power away and serving as a reminder or encouragement of why we need to fight racism and oppression. OTOH, it's easier and more fun to break shit.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

23rd anniversary of the death of Gianni Versace today. Only remember that because I just rewatched the American Crime Story: Assassination of Gianni Versace. Good show.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The responses in this thread are really awesome. I had no idea counting on my fingers could be fascinating to learn about.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I got a proper haircut for the first time in 8 months this weekend.

That was nice.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:29 am I got a proper haircut for the first time in 8 months this weekend.

That was nice.
I need one badly.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Just randomly remembered the AofG Chris Benoit affair, one of the early examples of an army of morons being sicced on websites to defend their hero.

I miss the mid-to-late aughts, when all of these technologies currently ruining the world were in their infancy.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Most weekdays it's all downhill after the first couple of sips of coffee and my RXBAR breakfast #ad
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

"Fire Woman" may be the apex of "80's cock rock" with the deniability of same.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:33 am "Fire Woman" may be the apex of "80's cock rock" with the deniability of same.
The Cult's singer certainly had the testosterone-laden emoting down pat. Right up there with old Thin Lizzy and Bad Company.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

hell is a dry wedding in the middle of a pandemic in a rural area of a state without a mask mandate with a reception in a barn with no social distancing and dinner served over two hours after the wedding concluded
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, nope. Would have left.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wait, so they don’t even have doors?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Would've never went in the first place. A wedding during a pandemic? GTFOH.

My wedding was supposed to happen on the 19th of September originally. Because of COVID my deployment was extended and we both decided to push it to next April. Then I got orders to Korea. Now we're not having it until I've fully retired from the miliary because the military doesn't fucking care about plans you make. (Regardless, we're paper married, so she gets the benefits in the meantime. But the celebration will have to wait.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I was not the decision-maker in this case, unfortunately. I knew no one there. the second level was far less crowded so we stayed up there and masked up ... but yeah

and to make matters worse, the bride is a nurse. come onnnnnnnnnn

eta: I was originally expecting I didn't have to go because my job is, uh, kinda important on Saturdays. but alas I had to go. and I much rather would have been working.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Aww, you're all grown up! Look at you taking orders from your future wife in the face of good decisions!

WE MADE IT, STAN. WE MADE IT.

(No, literally. You and me both. We made it.)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:00 am I was not the decision-maker in this case, unfortunately. I knew no one there. the second level was far less crowded so we stayed up there and masked up ... but yeah

eta: I was originally expecting I didn't have to go because my job is, uh, kinda important on Saturdays. but alas I had to go. and I much rather would have been working.
You just described my nephew's wedding yesterday to a T. You weren't in Michigan by any chance?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:27 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:00 am I was not the decision-maker in this case, unfortunately. I knew no one there. the second level was far less crowded so we stayed up there and masked up ... but yeah

You just described my nephew's wedding yesterday to a T. You weren't in Michigan by any chance?
If you knew no one there, was this a wedding you had to travel for? Like, how close is your other half with whomever decided to invite her where you had not met that person? I'm trying to grasp on the "how easy is it to cut this person out of my life" scale.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:50 am

If you knew no one there, was this a wedding you had to travel for? Like, how close is your other half with whomever decided to invite her where you had not met that person? I'm trying to grasp on the "how easy is it to cut this person out of my life" scale.
Not in Michigan! But another state that starts with an M. And a 45-minute drive north and a co-worker of LA's. I believe both bride and groom are from smallish towns, hence the lack of adherence to city-mandated protocols. those that we were with -- primarily other co-workers -- were doing the right things.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:29 am

Not in Michigan! But another state that starts with an M. And a 45-minute drive north and a co-worker of LA's. I believe both bride and groom are from smallish towns, hence the lack of adherence to city-mandated protocols. those that we were with -- primarily other co-workers -- were doing the right things.
I figured if you were in Michigan for a wedding where a Seymour was getting married you might have put 2 and 2 together, but it's crazy that you described the wedding right down to the bride being a nurse.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:29 am

I figured if you were in Michigan for a wedding where a Seymour was getting married you might have put 2 and 2 together, but it's crazy that you described the wedding right down to the bride being a nurse.
If there's one thing I've learned about even some of the smartest women I know during this, it's that they do not give a fuck about anything that's going to interfere with their special princess lady day. Nurse/Dr/PA or what have you.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 am If there's one thing I've learned about even some of the smartest women I know during this, it's that they do not give a fuck about anything that's going to interfere with their special princess lady day. Nurse/Dr/PA or what have you.
Disagree. The daughter of some good friends, who is an MD, was supposed to get married up in the San Juan Islands 3 weeks ago. They postponed the festivities, and will try again in a year.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:29 am
BSF21 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:33 am If there's one thing I've learned about even some of the smartest women I know during this, it's that they do not give a fuck about anything that's going to interfere with their special princess lady day. Nurse/Dr/PA or what have you.
Disagree. The daughter of some good friends, who is an MD, was supposed to get married up in the San Juan Islands 3 weeks ago. They postponed the festivities, and will try again in a year.
I'm sure there's exceptions. Just my experience.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Spent north of 90 minutes raking and bagging leaves and pine needles (the latter is in line if Sisyphus ever gets the rock to stop rolling down).

Bookending the post-work shower with a couple Capri Suns was pretty good, though.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That calls for a shower beer, friend.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The fanciest restaurant in Seattle (only place with a dress code), Canlis, is doing online classes called Canlis Community College (https://community.canlis.com/). Last night we did the 'Dumpling Making' class, and it was super fun...and the dumplings turned out great.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This morning, I drove to work and got halfway into the building before I realized that I still had on my slides from taking the dog on a walk this morning.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

During all this, I've become increasingly worried about walking outside missing a key piece of clothing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Snickers commercial where the guy walks out in his underwear thinking it was a Zoom happy hour gets me every time.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just saw that for the first time last night. It was good.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:59 am That calls for a shower beer, friend.
The lightest thing I have is Sierra Nevada, so not sure how well that would go over. But, there will be a little more raking (thanks, wind!) followed by a mow tomorrow.

Might just save it up and get pie-eyed during Bucs-Bears.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:11 am During all this, I've become increasingly worried about walking outside missing a key piece of clothing.
Luckily it’s fall now. You’ll notice a breeze before you get too far.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.