Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Johnnie »

Another thing I'll never miss about the military:

Getting a phone call at 5 am telling me to get my uniform on immediately -- don't shower or shave -- and come into work ASAP.

And what's it for? A piss test. It affected a couple hundred people (the whole Group), but still. Luckily I've played this fucking game before and knew not to piss until I got to work.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This cropped up in the TL today:

A great call by Jack Buck.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A US Open linesman died after being hit in the dick by a Stefan Edberg serve.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:25 am A US Open linesman died after being hit in the dick by a Stefan Edberg serve.
Hadn't heard that one before. It's true, but you omitted the part that he fell and hit his head and that's what killed him. http://legendsrevealed.com/sports/2012/ ... nt-page-1/

Still, pretty crazy.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It felt like the proper time for sensational but technically accurate phrasing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I bet you could find more victims
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The current base price of the Tesla Model S is $69,420.

https://www.tesla.com/
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I just received a text notice from the county that a mountain lion was sighted at an address that is 1.2 miles from my home. Yow.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:25 pm I just received a text notice from the county that a mountain lion was sighted at an address that is 1.2 miles from my home. Yow.
Next door neighbor at my old house posted a video of a black bear hanging out in my front yard. Pretty big one. There have been an abnormal number of bears around town all summer. Extremely high number of squirrels and chipmunks, too. Now I'm seeing a ton of FB posts about squirrels eating people's pumpkins, which I've never heard. Acorns haven't fallen yet, which usually happens several weeks ago, so the squirrels are eating jack-o-lanterns. Strange times...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:25 pm I just received a text notice from the county that a mountain lion was sighted at an address that is 1.2 miles from my home. Yow.
Next door neighbor at my old house posted a video of a black bear hanging out in my front yard. Pretty big one. There have been an abnormal number of bears around town all summer.
Do I have a song for you!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 am
Next door neighbor at my old house posted a video of a black bear hanging out in my front yard. Pretty big one. There have been an abnormal number of bears around town all summer.
Soundtrack in my head every time I saw a bear posting. Someone on FB encountered the bear while running around the high school property and asked how they should have reacted. Tempted to post the song, which said nothing about taking out your phone, filming the bear and posting to FB while still standing near the bear.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:11 am
BSF21 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 am
Tempted to post the song, which said nothing about taking out your phone, filming the bear and posting to FB while still standing near the bear.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEMIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Spotify :-(
image.png
image.png (53.61 KiB) Viewed 1040 times
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Swamp Radio...

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So today Spencer Davis died (and I see he was mentioned in the appropriate thread)...I went down a rabbit hole on the Spencer Davis Group. I had no idea their original bassist was Steve Winwood's brother, Merwyn.

Muff Winwood. That's awesome. Somehow, anyway.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 pm So today Spencer Davis died (and I see he was mentioned in the appropriate thread)...I went down a rabbit hole on the Spencer Davis Group. I had no idea their original bassist was Steve Winwood's brother, Merwyn.

In his NyTime obit, it mentioned that Spencer Davis dated Christine Perfect for a while. She then married John McVie and joined Fleetwood Mac.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:03 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 pm So today Spencer Davis died (and I see he was mentioned in the appropriate thread)...I went down a rabbit hole on the Spencer Davis Group. I had no idea their original bassist was Steve Winwood's brother, Merwyn.

In his NyTime obit, it mentioned that Spencer Davis dated Christine Perfect for a while. She then married John McVie and joined Fleetwood Mac.
I want to work a Maryanne Faithfull comment in here but it’s not working.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Someone is trying to use our address for an unemployment scam. Got a PUA debit card yesterday in someone's name and looks like another one coming today in someone else's name.

And it's a state holiday today so I can't call the state DETR to report it. Maybe I should hang on to these and take the money out after I get to Mexico! (just kidding).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Should you ever be in position to discard two toilets at the dump and your facility has the items be thrown down some distance onto a pile, I absolutely recommend tossing the first one so you can toss the second right on top of it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:06 pm Should you ever be in position to discard two toilets at the dump and your facility has the items be thrown down some distance onto a pile, I absolutely recommend tossing the first one so you can toss the second right on top of it.
Nice to see this thread getting back to it's roots.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Does LA have a Rage Room? ABQ does.

https://abqrage.com/

Sounds like you'd have a blast breaking shit.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:22 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:06 pm Should you ever be in position to discard two toilets at the dump and your facility has the items be thrown down some distance onto a pile, I absolutely recommend tossing the first one so you can toss the second right on top of it.
Nice to see this thread getting back to it's roots.
We went there after voting (my wife knows how to plan a good morning out and about on the town). Had a slight bit of anxiety upon arrival because the sign said SUVs were $30 (was prepared for only $15, the price for a car or minivan, and the small attendant's stand did not suggest the ability of the non-cash payment, but did inform you about the presence of parking in front for Dallas Cowboys fans only), but said we just had to get rid of two toilets. $15 and we were off to stall #2 to drop off two former #2 recipients.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:36 pm Does LA have a Rage Room? ABQ does.

I don't know that they had one out there when we lived there, but there are none in the Syracuse area. One difference is I think there is a certain visceral enjoyment added when it is your own item(s) and there are no safety precautions required.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:47 pm

I don't know that they had one out there when we lived there, but there are none in the Syracuse area. One difference is I think there is a certain visceral enjoyment added when it is your own item(s) and there are no safety precautions required.
You moved? I must have missed that! Congrats for evacuating California. Hopefully you came out ahead monetarily.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:47 pm

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's interesting that the Olde Timey Music for Howard and DC thread is still going strong even though it's getting close to three years since either Howard or DC47 have posted in the Swamp. Still not sure I know why either quit.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In case you wanted a peek behind the curtain, this is the official answer as to whether or not a military member can have an OnlyFans account:

TL;DR - an OnlyFans account is considered a "second job." "Second jobs" (all of them) need to be routed through the Base Legal Office. Base Legal, in order to maintain 'good order and discipline,' has to determine whether the job you want to do outside of the military is a 'good image' fit. OnlyFans does NOT meet that threshold.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

This is fucking stupid and it doesn't change anything except which debt a little money each month is servicing, but I just paid off my student loans. Rates were so low it wasn't a priority but as we got our finances in line this year we decided to aggressively go after some smaller balances for a few months. It isn't perfect financially speaking but its off the books at least!

ETA: I graduated in 2006.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrats
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hell yeah. Elimination of any single debt is the best.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 am This is fucking stupid and it doesn't change anything except which debt a little money each month is servicing, but I just paid off my student loans. Rates were so low it wasn't a priority but as we got our finances in line this year we decided to aggressively go after some smaller balances for a few months. It isn't perfect financially speaking but its off the books at least!

That’s awesome, AB. I did the same with my loans; even if it’s economically irrational, there is real hedonic value in not having a debt hanging over you.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:21 am This is fucking stupid and it doesn't change anything except which debt a little money each month is servicing, but I just paid off my student loans. Rates were so low it wasn't a priority but as we got our finances in line this year we decided to aggressively go after some smaller balances for a few months. It isn't perfect financially speaking but its off the books at least!

Congrats AB! That's awesome!

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:49 am

That’s awesome, AB. I did the same with my loans; even if it’s economically irrational, there is real hedonic value in not having a debt hanging over you.
I always debate this. My student loan is relatively tiny, but I never bothered to pay it off as the rates are so low and I set up autopay more than 10 years ago. I debate paying it off, but I think the interest is already paid anyways. We decided to pay off the mortgage a few years ago, and I wondered if that fiscally made sense. While the rate was fairly low, I don't know if we could have invested and guaranteed to make more off the money elsewhere, and saving the interest payments was guaranteed savings and my wife is more stressed over a high monthly payment that it was worth it on an emotional level. We are both pretty risk averse with investments, too, so we went for it. Met with a financial advisor, and he was so damned wishy washy he was no help in planning.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:48 pm

I always debate this. My student loan is relatively tiny, but I never bothered to pay it off as the rates are so low and I set up autopay more than 10 years ago. I debate paying it off, but I think the interest is already paid anyways. We decided to pay off the mortgage a few years ago, and I wondered if that fiscally made sense. While the rate was fairly low, I don't know if we could have invested and guaranteed to make more off the money elsewhere, and saving the interest payments was guaranteed savings and my wife is more stressed over a high monthly payment that it was worth it on an emotional level. We are both pretty risk averse with investments, too, so we went for it. Met with a financial advisor, and he was so damned wishy washy he was no help in planning.
I have so many thoughts but I'll reserve unless they're asked for.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:03 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:48 pm

I have so many thoughts but I'll reserve unless they're asked for.
Hit me, I was looking for advice. I know it probably doesn't make financial sense, but the stress reduction knowing we wouldn't have a mortgage if we lost jobs or something made it worthwhile.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My thoughts are, Bravo Syb and Lady Syb! No mortgage is fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah. The book says play the interest percentages, but that assumes that cash flow isn't an issue. For most people, cash flow is more important than interest rate arbitrage in the short term. Sure, maybe you can make more in a safe investment vehicle but now the money you were paying towards mortgage can do that while also easing the strain on liquidity, even if the payoff is a bit further out.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:12 pm Yeah. The book says play the interest percentages, but that assumes that cash flow isn't an issue. For most people, cash flow is more important than interest rate arbitrage in the short term. Sure, maybe you can make more in a safe investment vehicle but now the money you were paying towards mortgage can do that while also easing the strain on liquidity, even if the payoff is a bit further out.
An ancillary consideration is that by removing that monthly bill, it provides some level of mental relief. That's not nothing.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:19 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:12 pm Yeah. The book says play the interest percentages, but that assumes that cash flow isn't an issue. For most people, cash flow is more important than interest rate arbitrage in the short term. Sure, maybe you can make more in a safe investment vehicle but now the money you were paying towards mortgage can do that while also easing the strain on liquidity, even if the payoff is a bit further out.
An ancillary consideration is that by removing that monthly bill, it provides some level of mental relief. That's not nothing.
Right, that was easing the strain on liquidity. As the likely largest single monthly outlay, having that cash in the bank probably feels great. I know it's how my in-laws are now rolling in dough because they paid their house off like 15 years ago.