Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Giff wrote:Saw a guy at lunch who had a shirt that read "Surely not everyone was kung fu fighting" which made me laugh way too much.

I will be buying this shirt for a friend this holiday season

I would have thought you guys are too young to remember that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:
Giff wrote:Saw a guy at lunch who had a shirt that read "Surely not everyone was kung fu fighting" which made me laugh way too much.

I am but this friend that he is the 2 time champ of the Wyoming Law School 70s Dance Off
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:

Kids and Kung Fu Panda.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

And every intermission kids karate demonstration in recorded history
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And all those old commercials that featured songs of a particular era. Which my generation grew up on until we DESTROYED the cable company paradigm a couple years ago.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Women use too much fucking toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I was thinking about this a few days back. I know we skew a little older but we were all young once so a fun thought:

I realized that I play nearly every popular sport imaginable in some capacity. I'm not very good at most of them, but I've got a basic grasp on almost every sport and pseudo-sport I can think of. Getting into hockey was kind of my last hurdle. I've played an organized form of the following in the last 2 years.

Hockey (Sundays and Tuesdays), Basketball (Wendesday night pickup), Soccer (social leagues with Meg), Kickball (Meg's work league), Softball (social coed), Sand Volleyball (social rec), Tennis (recreational with Meg and friends), Flag Football (social rec), Ultimate Frisbee (been a few years but we used to play on Thursday nights), Disc Golf (probably 3-4 rounds per week in the nice months) -- In addition to every bar/tailgate "sport" you can think of. Bocce, Pool, Darts, Cornhole, Beersbee, Shuffleboard.

When I was younger I was always kind of a geek/nerd but I always enjoyed sports. I never put together how many of them I had picked up and stayed with over the years. Kinda crazy. I'm probably missing some too. I just can't think of anything that is somewhat common that I haven't at least given a try to before.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Same.

Except this part, obviously...

I'm not very good at most of them
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I play golf and pickleball. And I ride my bike. That's about it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote:I was thinking about this a few days back. I know we skew a little older but we were all young once so a fun thought:

I realized that I play nearly every popular sport imaginable in some capacity. I'm not very good at most of them, but I've got a basic grasp on almost every sport and pseudo-sport I can think of. Getting into hockey was kind of my last hurdle. I've played an organized form of the following in the last 2 years.

Hockey (Sundays and Tuesdays), Basketball (Wendesday night pickup), Soccer (social leagues with Meg), Kickball (Meg's work league), Softball (social coed), Sand Volleyball (social rec), Tennis (recreational with Meg and friends), Flag Football (social rec), Ultimate Frisbee (been a few years but we used to play on Thursday nights), Disc Golf (probably 3-4 rounds per week in the nice months) -- In addition to every bar/tailgate "sport" you can think of. Bocce, Pool, Darts, Cornhole, Beersbee, Shuffleboard.

When I was younger I was always kind of a geek/nerd but I always enjoyed sports. I never put together how many of them I had picked up and stayed with over the years. Kinda crazy. I'm probably missing some too. I just can't think of anything that is somewhat common that I haven't at least given a try to before.

Oh, to not have any kids...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was softball, kickball and dodgeball with one kid before leaving Boston. 2nd kid (and this area) have killed it. Maybe we should start a pickleball league to play on our local pickleball courts.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I was softball, kickball and dodgeball with one kid before leaving Boston. 2nd kid (and this area) have killed it. Maybe we should start a pickleball league to play on our local pickleball courts.

Pickleball is thriving on the courts behind the Middle School. My daughter did a half-day of tennis during one week of soccer camp, and she loves it. The wife and I have gone with her a couple of times play around. I forgot how fun tennis is! I haven't swung a tennis racket in 15 years, but it took less than 5 minutes to shake the rust. I've played some squash, so the only adjustment was aiming to hit the ball at a lower angle, and not crushing it.

Squash is such an underrated sport.So much more strategy and playing angles than tennis or racquetball.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Fuck pickleball.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote:
mister d wrote:I was softball, kickball and dodgeball with one kid before leaving Boston. 2nd kid (and this area) have killed it. Maybe we should start a pickleball league to play on our local pickleball courts.

Pickleball is thriving on the courts behind the Middle School. My daughter did a half-day of tennis during one week of soccer camp, and she loves it. The wife and I have gone with her a couple of times play around. I forgot how fun tennis is! I haven't swung a tennis racket in 15 years, but it took less than 5 minutes to shake the rust. I've played some squash, so the only adjustment was aiming to hit the ball at a lower angle, and not crushing it.

Squash is such an underrated sport.So much more strategy and playing angles than tennis or racquetball.

Oh I forgot about Racquetball. That's once a week or so at the gym when I can find people to play with.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:Fuck pickleball.

AB, you've been awfully grumpy lately. Somebody put coal in your sock or something?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If you're a really pregnant lady and you pass another really pregnant lady on the street, do you have to acknowledge each other like you're wearing the same band t-shirt or something?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

BSF21 wrote:When I was younger I was always kind of a geek/nerd but I always enjoyed sports. I never put together how many of them I had picked up and stayed with over the years. Kinda crazy. I'm probably missing some too. I just can't think of anything that is somewhat common that I haven't at least given a try to before.

I could only hope to have that much free time.

I'm pretty much down to swimming at 530am every weekday, doing the daily bike commute (about 80 miles a week)...with some other rides on the weekends thrown in at times, and some sailing. Admittedly, my serious leg/knee injury a few years back has cut down on a lot of options for me.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Seconded.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Anyone else never heard of pickleball until this thread?

And based on a quick google search you apparently aren't allowed to play if you are younger than 85?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Anyone else never heard of pickleball until this thread?

And based on a quick google search you apparently aren't allowed to play if you are younger than 85?

60 is actually pretty close, but, yes.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I never heard of it before last spring. Now I'm hooked.

And yes, it's quite popular with the geriatric set. I'm 45 and am one of the youngest players in our group. But it's quite humbling to play against some 60+ year-olds and get schooled.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sabo wrote:

And yes, it's quite popular with the geriatric set. I'm 45 and am one of the youngest players in our group. But it's quite humbling to play against some 60+ year-olds and get schooled.

Count me among those who'd never heard of it until this thread. So, I looked it up in the googles and realized I was watching some guys play it recently on the tennis courts of our local park. They looked like good experienced tennis players, too - and they were probably younger than me (not that this is saying much.)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

ok, I give up. Just imagine the actress from The Birds and Alfred Hitchcock's pickle.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:
Sabo wrote:

Count me among those who'd never heard of it until this thread. So, I looked it up in the googles and realized I was watching some guys play it recently on the tennis courts of our local park. They looked like good experienced tennis players, too - and they were probably younger than me (not that this is saying much.)

In our group, there are a lot of current and former tennis players. One guy supposedly played varsity tennis at Penn State, but he's such a massive prick fuck that I have no interest in asking him if it's true. (He told the woman who runs the group that he doesn't play with women, and has walked off the court when he's been randomly paired with one.)

Having tennis experience helps with strokes and such, but experience playing ping-pong is very helpful, too. Knowing how to put spin on the ball is a great help, as is being able to hit drop shots. Most beginner pickleball players try to bang the ball everywhere like they're tennis baseliners, but they'll quickly learn that placement is much more important than power.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I wonder, does everybody in Britain pronounce the word, Jag-u-ar instead of Jag-wahr, or is that just in tv advertisements?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I first heard of it a week before it came up in this thread.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh my god fuck pickleball!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Sweet fuck. This is the whitest shit I've ever seen.

https://www.usapa.org/what-is-pickleball/
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So are mattress stores the only stores that can simultaneously be going out of business every 6 months and pop up in different locations all around the city? And then how do they compete with Casper, Leesa, and Helix "bed in a box, try free for 100 nights" deals? I feel like there's some shady shit this industry isn't telling me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:So are mattress stores the only stores that can simultaneously be going out of business every 6 months and pop up in different locations all around the city? And then how do they compete with Casper, Leesa, and Helix "bed in a box, try free for 100 nights" deals? I feel like there's some shady shit this industry isn't telling me.

The margins are likely insane. And I totally get wanting to sit/lay on a bed before buying, 100 day guarantees or no.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Some swamper with industry knowledge wrote lengthily on the subject at one point.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We have three Mattress Firms in the span of two exits. Two of them are in the same shopping center.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote:
Johnnie wrote:So are mattress stores the only stores that can simultaneously be going out of business every 6 months and pop up in different locations all around the city? And then how do they compete with Casper, Leesa, and Helix "bed in a box, try free for 100 nights" deals? I feel like there's some shady shit this industry isn't telling me.

The margins are likely insane. And I totally get wanting to sit/lay on a bed before buying, 100 day guarantees or no.

Also the mattresses in a box are memory foam based. Complaints occur because of odor, support on the edges of the bed, and they can be really hot against the body.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

On a tangental note, I'll say that pillows from MyPillow.com are pretty outstanding. It took me a night or two to adjust, but I am definitely sleeping better at night since switching to them. They aren't cheap, however.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sabo wrote:On a tangental note, I'll say that pillows from MyPillow.com are pretty outstanding. It took me a night or two to adjust, but I am definitely sleeping better at night since switching to them. They aren't cheap, however.

In the market for a new pillow as well. Just returned an expensive gel one because it felt like trying to rest my head on a tire.

Just checked out MyPillow.com but I'm not sure I want to sleep on something that guy might have touched.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Sabo wrote:On a tangental note, I'll say that pillows from MyPillow.com are pretty outstanding. It took me a night or two to adjust, but I am definitely sleeping better at night since switching to them. They aren't cheap, however.

In the market for a new pillow as well. Just returned an expensive gel one because it felt like trying to rest my head on a tire.

Just checked out MyPillow.com but I'm not sure I want to sleep on something that guy might have touched.

What is interesting is that guy has been on a big PR push. He was on the Freakonomics spinoff podcast "Tell Me Something I Don't Know" a month ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWz6mM9KO5A) and laid off 120 folks earlier this year. Additionally the feds were not excited about his advertising practices (https://www.inc.com/cameron-albert-deit ... andal.html).
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've been using a memory foam pillow which is comfortable, but I am waking up in a pool of head sweat all the time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Johnny Carwash wrote:

Jerloma won't want these pillows because a print out of a biblical verse was included in the shipping bag.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I googled and the first two things I saw for MyPillow were losing their BBB certification and that guy defending Trump after Charlottesville.