Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by EnochRoot »

I adult’d earlier by calling the cops on my neighbor for holding a ridiculously loud party tonight. It actually started around 2p.

My guess is these guys are coked up, cuz they’ve been loud all day. Not enough slurring going on if this were alcohol-fueled.

My neighbor’s mistake was not giving me 24 hour’s notice (row houses, and ours are connected), so that we could’ve vacated to my MiL’s for the evening, or just made plans to be out of the house.

Anyway, the police came, and it got quiet really quick. So now they’re probably paranoid.

Sleep tight!
Noli Timere Messorem
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

It’s 8 pm on the east coast and my next door neighbor decided that right now would be a good time to begin mowing his lawn.

Cool.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

serrano wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:58 pm It’s 8 pm on the east coast and my next door neighbor decided that right now would be a good time to begin mowing his lawn.

Cool.
If it’s still light out I’m ok with that. Unless it’s a two hour cut
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

A_B wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:03 pm
serrano wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:58 pm It’s 8 pm on the east coast and my next door neighbor decided that right now would be a good time to begin mowing his lawn.

Cool.
It ain’t 2 hours, but it will be followed by the trimmer and blower.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

"It's Norma at the market. It bounced. You want me to tear it up, send it back, or put it with the others?"
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In Germany it was illegal to do that. You'd get fined.

Couldn't do it on Sunday either. You'd also get fined.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Bouncing checks in America is frowned upon too, but on Sundays specifically?
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

serrano wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Cool.
I mean. Ok? Dude might have plans this weekend and needed to get ahead? After 10 am and before dark I can’t work up vitriol for lawn care. We all do it. Boys of summer.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

A_B wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:40 pm
serrano wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm

Cool.
I mean. Ok? Dude might have plans this weekend and needed to get ahead? After 10 am and before dark I can’t work up vitriol for lawn care. We all do it. Boys of summer.
Nah. It's a dick move, ignorant of the fact it's Friday night for the rest of the block. I mean, unless serrano lives in a Bruce Springsteen song, people have a right to expect some time off.
Noli Timere Messorem
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:11 pm Shit Giff. My wife had an actual heart attack (or episode) a few years ago and it was scary as shit. Hope that this all is very quickly treatable.

Interestingly, I've been reading a book called Breath by James Nestor and one of the things he talks about is his apnea/snoring/health troubles were alleviated by making sure he always took in air through his nose.

I just listened to the audiobook. Hearing that breathing through my nose will solve all my problems is kind of frustrating to hear during allergy season. Has anyone tried some of the stuff he talks about?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I literally can't fall asleep on my back or breathe through my nose exclusively when I sleep. And I wear a CPAP mask on top of that. Breathing has been a chore most of my life instead of a thing I just do.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I trained myself to breathe through nose and it’s been amazing. I take an allergy pill every night and I think that helps. Xyzal.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Came out to grill and some asshole is cutting his grass on a perfectly fine evening! Fucker!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 pm I literally can't fall asleep on my back or breathe through my nose exclusively when I sleep. And I wear a CPAP mask on top of that. Breathing has been a chore most of my life instead of a thing I just do.
You breathe through your mouth even with a CPAP on?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm Came out to grill and some asshole is cutting his grass on a perfectly fine evening! Fucker!
This is why every Monday AM I send my block and the one behind me three (3) two hour mowing windows for them to choose from so as to not risk inconveniencing me with their noise. I think it’s more than generous.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:37 pm
A_B wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:27 pm Came out to grill and some asshole is cutting his grass on a perfectly fine evening! Fucker!
This is why every Monday AM I send my block and the one behind me three (3) two hour mowing windows for them to choose from so as to not risk inconveniencing me with their noise. I think it’s more than generous.
Neighbors helping neighbors.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Had lunch today with a friend from when I was a kid (haven't seen him in almost 40 years!) who's son is a rookie relief pitcher for the Cleveland Indians. Listening to him talk about the journey from being a JC player, then doing a year in Div 1 for Arkansas, and then getting drafted by the Yankees, and being a rule 5 pickup by Cleveland was mind blowing.

As was him telling us that because his kid now has 40 days in the big leagues, he'll have a $5000 a month pension, for life. When he gets to 80 days, it will go up again.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

It wasn’t me.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:43 pm Had lunch today with a friend from when I was a kid (haven't seen him in almost 40 years!) who's son is a rookie relief pitcher for the Cleveland Indians. Listening to him talk about the journey from being a JC player, then doing a year in Div 1 for Arkansas, and then getting drafted by the Yankees, and being a rule 5 pickup by Cleveland was mind blowing.

As was him telling us that because his kid now has 40 days in the big leagues, he'll have a $5000 a month pension, for life. When he gets to 80 days, it will go up again.
I don’t think your friend has his numbers right. He will get a pension but not that much per month.

ETA: maybe so but he has to wait until he’s much older. I don’t know. But awesome for the kid to be in the show no less.
Last edited by A_B on Sat May 15, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:28 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:49 pm I literally can't fall asleep on my back or breathe through my nose exclusively when I sleep. And I wear a CPAP mask on top of that. Breathing has been a chore most of my life instead of a thing I just do.
Yes. I use the full face mask. My jaw drops when I sleep. I've used the strap that keeps my jaw closed but it's worse than the mask itself. I simply cannot use a nasal only mask. It's awful.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Johnnie wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:46 pm
bfj wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:28 pm
Yes. I use the full face mask. My jaw drops when I sleep. I've used the strap that keeps my jaw closed but it's worse than the mask itself. I simply cannot use a nasal only mask. It's awful.
Damn. Did you read the Breath book? Maybe there are exercises you can do when awake to strengthen the right muscles/bones. As I'm writing this, I'm guessing you have tried everything. There just seemed to be some interesting solutions that aren't commonly used in the book.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'll have to give the book a look if there are legit things I can try to help me.

I just feel like my nasal area is too make and my throat is just "too fleshy." I feel like unless I lose an unhealthy amount of weight it won't change.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:45 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:43 pm Had lunch today with a friend from when I was a kid (haven't seen him in almost 40 years!) who's son is a rookie relief pitcher for the Cleveland Indians. Listening to him talk about the journey from being a JC player, then doing a year in Div 1 for Arkansas, and then getting drafted by the Yankees, and being a rule 5 pickup by Cleveland was mind blowing.

I don’t think your friend has his numbers right. He will get a pension but not that much per month.

ETA: maybe so but he has to wait until he’s much older. I don’t know. But awesome for the kid to be in the show no less.
Yeah, I might have the $ figures wrong, but I definitely remember the 40 days part. My friend called it 'proof that baseball has the strongest union in the country'.

His son (Trevor Stephan) was drafted twice (by San Diego and Boston), and didn't sign because they didn't offer enough money. Finally after his one year at Arkansas, the Yankees drafted him and offered what he thought he was worth.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

At my school Crazy Hair Day has been switched to Creative Hair Day "to be more inclusive and more honoring of our diverse student population."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I feel like that's appropriate. Unless the idea would be to wear the 'craziest' wig.

The culture around hair - specifically and especially for black people - is a huge deal. This was just on John Oliver the other week. And back years ago Chris Rock did a doc called Good Hair.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I can't find the random images thread. Timothy Olyphant met Josh Duhamel at a Dodgers game and had him stand in with his family to take their Christmas Card picture. His own mom didn't know it wasn't him.

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Thats good. Thank you for posting it, J-Lo.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

You're welcome.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Snoop story on Conan was great.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Tim Olyphant is fucking hilarious.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:57 pm Tim Olyphant is fucking hilarious.
Yeah, he seems like the coolest guy. I love when guys have this type of relationship with Conan where they just fuck with him. So much better than the old style of talk shows where it is fake and polite. I just prefer fake and dismissive bordering on mean.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:47 pm
Yeah, he seems like the coolest guy. I love when guys have this type of relationship with Conan where they just fuck with him. So much better than the old style of talk shows where it is fake and polite. I just prefer fake and dismissive bordering on mean.
You should check out the clips of David Letterman and Charles Grodin!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

His last interview with Joel McHale was a treat. Just 2 friends ragging on each other for 24 minutes. No plugs, no sketches.

The Paul Rudd Mac and Me bit always gets the pub, but for my money, Olyphant continuously trying to advertise things on Conan's platforms takes the cake.

Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

brian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:51 pm
And Johnny Carson
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Fantastic.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 pmFantastic.
Those two are refreshingly professional entertainers including that moment.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:24 pm
brian wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:51 pm
And Johnny Carson
These clips are fantastic. I was going to say Letterman broke the old school style of talk show, but I guess Carson was down to play that game, too. It had to be such a relief for a guy like Carson to get to play off Grodin after hundreds of mindless interviews with celebrities he didn't care about hawking their movies, shows, or whatever. Those shows really were just infomercials in a way. I guess they still are, but I haven't watched a talk show in 20 years, just clips on Youtube, and almost never with guests. I love Seth Myers' Closer Look segments, and when he has his parents on the show. Letterman had a lot of guys he had that report with, and could turn the interview into performance art improv bits. I listen to some of Conan O'Brien's podcasts, and that seems to be his routine with almost every guest, since he is inviting mostly celebrities he has this relationship with, and he loves nothing more than people making fun of him. He started doing podcasts where he interviews random fans, and most of them start off by insulting Conan, and he lights up and instantly has report with them.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

To circle back to George Strait...

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One thing is not like the others.

Well, Stevie Nicks, too, so that's two things not like the others.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:09 am One thing is not like the others.

Well, Stevie Nicks, too, so that's two things not like the others.
That is a crazy mix of musicians/genres.
-Pruitt