Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by BSF21 »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:35 pm My thoughts are, Bravo Syb and Lady Syb! No mortgage is fantastic.
#1, this. No matter what. At the end of the day you're free of payments. My financial advisor was also bothered that I did this with my first home and am in process on my second home. He has always claimed that by investing I'm netting more money in returns than my interest, but my argument is that those returns aren't guaranteed and I wouldn't borrow money to invest, which is essentially what he's telling me to do. The idea net on that money you'd pay off your things with is 3.5%. How good can that be unless you're talking a TON of extra?

I think there's an adequate balance of risk and reward in investment, but the long game of maybe making a couple more grand here or there versus the stability and peace of mind of not owing on anything is more than worth it to me. Debt is terrible and stressful in almost all accounts.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Peace of mind. That's the phrase I was trying to pull out of my skull. Aging.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I just want to be clear...unless you have real "wealth" having your home paid off makes tons of sense for the reasons mentioned.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In my experience, the same people who tell you to invest never tell you how. Never give guidance. Never offer a financial adviser. Never tell you where to educate yourself. Just INVEST, BRO.

Person A: "So, I did [thing involving money]."

Person B: "You know if instead of doing [thing involving money], you INVESTED it you could make more money. You SHOULD HAVE done that."

Person A: "Uh, ok, but my current life situation dictates that I needed to do [thing involving money]."

Person B: "Should have invested it, man."

Person A: "..."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If someone here, because they love my posts, gave me an amount equal to my remaining mortgage I would pay it off no matter what percentage I was told I could get investing. If the market does eventually crash, you're out whatever percentage of that money and you're still sitting on that debt. Playing both sides makes sense when you can afford to risk the loss.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Is this thing on?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:36 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:35 pm My thoughts are, Bravo Syb and Lady Syb! No mortgage is fantastic.
#1, this. No matter what. At the end of the day you're free of payments. My financial advisor was also bothered that I did this with my first home and am in process on my second home. He has always claimed that by investing I'm netting more money in returns than my interest, but my argument is that those returns aren't guaranteed and I wouldn't borrow money to invest, which is essentially what he's telling me to do. The idea net on that money you'd pay off your things with is 3.5%. How good can that be unless you're talking a TON of extra?

I think there's an adequate balance of risk and reward in investment, but the long game of maybe making a couple more grand here or there versus the stability and peace of mind of not owing on anything is more than worth it to me. Debt is terrible and stressful in almost all accounts.
Not what I expected with your preface... Our goal was to pay off the mortgage, and use the monthly savings for a down payment on the new house, then pay down the new mortgage with the proceeds of the sale. Allowed us to do some work before moving in, move out before fixing old house, and not have to show the house while living in it, which was a huge plus when COVID hit. Talking that through, we totally made the right choice. Two mortgages would have been a terrifying stress during lockdown.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Had to reschedule a call with my insurance agent today. He replied with a text that included a heart emoji, a taco emoji and a blushing face emoji.

I may change companies.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Go for it, Jerloma!
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:42 pm Go for it, Jerloma!
I can’t think of a scenario where someone I don’t know personally should ever send me a hear emoji. I’ll give you tacos because some things are universal. But is he embarrassed about liking tacos? Even more reason.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Update: I got my random messages from the insurance agent and the thank you email from chuys Tex mex carry out confused. I will allow chuys to send me taco emojis.

I left work early and my be drunk.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:49 pm Update: I got my random messages from the insurance agent and the thank you email from chuys Tex mex carry out confused. I will allow chuys to send me taco emojis.

I left work early and my be drunk.
This may be peak Bond,
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The insurance agent was very professional. I’ll send referrals.

Also the chuys was fucking excellent.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That was funny.

Ps: the wife and I had a cocktail (or two) tonight with the delightful name: Corpse Reviver #2.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:59 pm The insurance agent was very professional. I’ll send referrals.

Also the chuys was fucking excellent.
TWILTS
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'm not ruling out that you said you had Mexican food-induced diarrhea and he just wanted to bond with his client.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've had three people I went to high school with die in the last three months. One from something yet unknown, though possibly COVID-related heart attack, another from a heart attack and another from cancer. (I only had 150-ish people in my graduating class.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm I've had three people I went to high school with die in the last three months. One from something yet unknown, though possibly COVID-related heart attack, another from a heart attack and another from cancer. (I only had 150-ish people in my graduating class.)
Shit.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:32 pm
brian wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm I've had three people I went to high school with die in the last three months. One from something yet unknown, though possibly COVID-related heart attack, another from a heart attack and another from cancer. (I only had 150-ish people in my graduating class.)
Shit.
What, did you have a locker near him or something?

(See, I can do the TT thing)

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Referencing It Follows would be appropriate geographically and inappropriate in just about any other way.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So that's why he endorsed Trump!

Rapper Lil Wayne charged with federal gun offense in Florida

And the gun is even gold plated. 🤣🤣🤣
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

since there was an investment-related discussion here and I can't find a related thread via search, I have a question that I want to bounce off people

am I crazy if I want to start saving/investing my non-matched retirement money in an accessible account for future long-term investments like real estate/etc vs. putting it all into a retirement account I can't access in the near future?

I've been wondering if this is a good idea. to be clear, I would still continue to maximize my company's match so the "free" money would not be impacted. but it would be taking the dollars that aren't doubled and still investing them, but just not into an account that's locked for years if we want to start getting into the real estate game in a few years.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:26 pm since there was an investment-related discussion here and I can't find a related thread via search, I have a question that I want to bounce off people

am I crazy if I want to start saving/investing my non-matched retirement money in an accessible account for future long-term investments like real estate/etc vs. putting it all into a retirement account I can't access in the near future?

I've been wondering if this is a good idea. to be clear, I would still continue to maximize my company's match so the "free" money would not be impacted. but it would be taking the dollars that aren't doubled and still investing them, but just not into an account that's locked for years if we want to start getting into the real estate game in a few years.
Not at all. Get your full 401k match + max whatever you can to write off. Beyond that, open a managed brokerage account so you're liquid if you need to be.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah I don't see any problem with that at all if you want that liquidity in less than 30 years.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Tax implications though.

I have no idea what they are, but I’ll bet there are some.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm Tax implications though.

Yeah I suppose any interest gained may be taxable in the same year since you aren't putting it into a Roth or something similar because you want it accessible. Basically does the potential interest put you into another tax bracket?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:59 pm

Yeah I suppose any interest gained may be taxable in the same year since you aren't putting it into a Roth or something similar because you want it accessible. Basically does the potential interest put you into another tax bracket?
I think if you have an investment account, the return isn’t taxed until you cash it out.

But I think the issue isn’t necessarily the tax bracket, but rather if and when you pay taxes, you’re no longer getting a return on that amount. I’d have to chart it out to see if that really matters though.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[HDO voice] Interest and dividends are taxed annually, gains are only taxed when realized (assets sold) and can be offset by losses.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Bronto, that’s just what I did. I’m now retired but I haven’t touched my 401-k/IRA money yet. In addition to a modest pension I have, we live off investment sales and maturing bonds we have in non-retirement investment accounts. I manage my gains I realize (i.e which investments I sell) to keep me in a lower tax bracket.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:03 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:59 pm

I think if you have an investment account, the return isn’t taxed until you cash it out.

But I think the issue isn’t necessarily the tax bracket, but rather if and when you pay taxes, you’re no longer getting a return on that amount. I’d have to chart it out to see if that really matters though.
I'll obviously be paying taxes on the money that I'm currently not paying taxes on, but I think that would be worth it to have accessible before the age of 55 or whatever it is these days. And then I wouldn't pay taxes on that base sum obviously when I cash out of it.

(and to be clear ... I have no designs on touching this money. I just don't want it locked up)
sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:45 pm Bronto, that’s just what I did. I’m now retired but I haven’t touched my 401-k/IRA money yet. In addition to a modest pension I have, we live off investment sales and maturing bonds we have in non-retirement investment accounts. I manage my gains I realize (i.e which investments I sell) to keep me in a lower tax bracket.
yeah, i think this is what I want to get in position to do. we're going to probably get into the real estate game ourselves at some point given the prices around here + we have rental properties that my family has. so it's inevitable anyway and this way we can start to build some equity into places ourselves.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:59 amI'll obviously be paying taxes on the money that I'm currently not paying taxes on, but I think that would be worth it to have accessible before the age of 55 or whatever it is these days.
Holy shit! I had no idea I could start retire and start hitting my 401k at 55. I’m 55 now.

(It was probably better that I didn’t know that.)
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sorry, it's 59.5! I should have looked that up and regret that I raised your excitement level
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:23 am sorry, it's 59.5! I should have looked that up and regret that I raised your excitement level
I was gonna correct him before you did. Part of my retirement plan is to have basically just enough money to coast from age 50 to 59.5 until I can start tapping those accounts, then tapping Social Security at age 67. If all goes well, will mostly just be taking yearly returns (approx 4 percent of balance) to live on from retirement accounts
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think we're similar in age and I'm not, at all, expecting social security to still be around.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:09 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:23 am sorry, it's 59.5! I should have looked that up and regret that I raised your excitement level
I was gonna correct him before you did. Part of my retirement plan is to have basically just enough money to coast from age 50 to 59.5 until I can start tapping those accounts, then tapping Social Security at age 67. If all goes well, will mostly just be taking yearly returns (approx 4 percent of balance) to live on from retirement accounts
How does that go with being an ex-pat from here on out? Do you still get SSI assuming you maintain citizenship?

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:33 am
How does that go with being an ex-pat from here on out? Do you still get SSI assuming you maintain citizenship?
Yeah, it's based on how long you paid in and you're entitled to it no matter where you live. And like Mr. D said I expect it's probably going to be only a portion of what we would have gotten at full benefits, but even at 50 percent of benefits it will still probably be enough when we're only living on about $2500 a month.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:49 am
Yeah, it's based on how long you paid in and you're entitled to it no matter where you live. And like Mr. D said I expect it's probably going to be only a portion of what we would have gotten at full benefits, but even at 50 percent of benefits it will still probably be enough when we're only living on about $2500 a month.
Been debating with friends and family on when to start taking SS. The idea that it may not be there after a certain point does enter into one's calculation. if I was sure it would be secure for my entire life, I'd probably wait until I'm 67. But, I turn 62 next year, and I think I'll start taking it as a birthday present.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:51 am
brian wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:49 am
Been debating with friends and family on when to start taking SS. The idea that it may not be there after a certain point does enter into one's calculation. if I was sure it would be secure for my entire life, I'd probably wait until I'm 67. But, I turn 62 next year, and I think I'll start taking it as a birthday present.
My mom got exactly two SS payments before she passed and she waited a bit to take it because she had some other pension stuff and no mortgage so she lived pretty lean anyway. I'd say start taking it as soon as you can!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Yeah - my mother in law gets SS payments regularly. The exchange rate helps her a great deal.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:49 pm
Yeah - my mother in law gets SS payments regularly. The exchange rate helps her a great deal.
Talk about your evil mothers in law!
Totally Kafkaesque