Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by A_B »

The next time I find a watchband that has holes spaced perfectly to fit my wrist will be the first time.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:36 am The next time I find a watchband that has holes spaced perfectly to fit my wrist will be the first time.
My son is the expert in all things watches. I'll ask him for suggestions.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:36 am The next time I find a watchband that has holes spaced perfectly to fit my wrist will be the first time.
Try one with the foldover clasp instead of holes. Much nicer and more snug. I've had my band for over a decade (original to the watch, actually), and it's still good as new...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Just found out we have a subscription to BrowZIne, a NetFlix of sorts of magazines. I could have been reading 9: A JOurnal of Baseball History and Culture for years!

Dashing Dagos and Walloping Wops: Media Portrayal of Italian American Major Leaguers before World War II

Managing Integration: Clemente, Wills, “Harry the Hat,” and the Pittsburgh Pirates’ 1967 Season of Discontent

A Glimpse of the St. Paul Colored Gophers (1909) and the Schenectady Mohawk Giants (1913)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:29 pm Just found out we have a subscription to BrowZIne, a NetFlix of sorts of magazines. I could have been reading 9: A JOurnal of Baseball History and Culture for years!

Dashing Dagos and Walloping Wops: Media Portrayal of Italian American Major Leaguers before World War II

Managing Integration: Clemente, Wills, “Harry the Hat,” and the Pittsburgh Pirates’ 1967 Season of Discontent

A Glimpse of the St. Paul Colored Gophers (1909) and the Schenectady Mohawk Giants (1913)
Those three articles all sound interesting. How does a fellow swamper get hooked up?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

PM'd
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:17 am The sound that chip credit card readers make is dumb and annoying as shit. It sounds like a noise that would indicate something is wrong, when it worked correctly. How did no one raise an objection about this during the design?
Just wanted to walk this back and say those of you who pointed out its purpose is to remind you to take your card were 100% right. Would have probably gone through a half-dozen card replacements by now without that sound.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oddly enough, I've noticed a stark change to the credit card readers' reminder sound these days.

They are mostly far more pleasant and friendly compared to the car alarm annoying tone to which you refer.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:40 pm So I've finally downloaded Venmo (only because everyone else I know uses it - sorry, Cash App) because I'm late to this party.

Anyhoo, what's wild to me is that people don't make their transactions private. Thankfully the app doesn't display the dollar amount exchanged, but I can comment on or like the transactions. It's ripe for trolling.
Did it really take this long to figure out, People Who Use Venmo?

Venmo’s terrible idea
Just last week, it was revealed that a Berlin-based privacy researcher, Hang Do Thi Duc, used Venmo’s own API to "gather and save all public transactions from 2017." Yep, all 207,984,218 of them.
https://publicbydefault.fyi

People are so fucking stupid.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:14 pm Oddly enough, I've noticed a stark change to the credit card readers' reminder sound these days.

They are mostly far more pleasant and friendly compared to the car alarm annoying tone to which you refer.
Agreed, "angry buzzer" has mostly been replaced by "your friend just sent you a text".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Very late to post this (a clear sign of its importance), but I was quite amused to see Britt McHenry lost over 50% of her twitter followers in two bot purges.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:22 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:07 am In a hospital waiting room and there is a woman playing videos on her phone full volume.
That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I see it enough that I'm kind of surprised I don't see it more often if that makes any sense.
Last night was my 19th anniversary. Went to a nice place downtown. Pretty upscale italian joint. We sat on the patio because it was a beautiful night. I would not have if I had known the guy sitting alone at a nearby table was going to start watching videos on his phone with no headphones. It was appalling.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:46 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:07 am In a hospital waiting room and there is a woman playing videos on her phone full volume.
That is one of my biggest pet peeves. I see it enough that I'm kind of surprised I don't see it more often if that makes any sense.
Last night was my 19th anniversary. Went to a nice place downtown. Pretty upscale italian joint. We sat on the patio because it was a beautiful night. I would not have if I had known the guy sitting alone at a nearby table was going to start watching videos on his phone with no headphones. It was appalling.
I would almost literally never do this, but in that specific scenario I would have spoken to the manager of the restaurant about it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

brian wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:03 am
A_B wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:46 am
I would almost literally never do this, but in that specific scenario I would have spoken to the manager of the restaurant about it.
Was just gonna type the same thing. That shit is totally unacceptable on public transportation, but in a nice restaurant... the fuck outta here.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

What's the issue about telling the guy yourself? Like, "Hey buddy, if you like tentacle hentai then you do you, but me and my lovely dining partner are trying to eat. Put your headphones on."
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I do regret not saying something.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 am What's the issue about telling the guy yourself? Like, "Hey buddy, if you like tentacle hentai then you do you, but me and my lovely dining partner are trying to eat. Put your headphones on."
Because you don't want to risk a conflict ruining your nice dinner. Ask the restaurant to take care of it, because you're already paying them to provide a nice environment for your dinner.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Dealing with Job Finding apps (Monster, Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Hired) is like online dating.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:28 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 am What's the issue about telling the guy yourself? Like, "Hey buddy, if you like tentacle hentai then you do you, but me and my lovely dining partner are trying to eat. Put your headphones on."
Because you don't want to risk a conflict ruining your nice dinner. Ask the restaurant to take care of it, because you're already paying them to provide a nice environment for your dinner.
Yeah, I guess if it's a nice restaurant let the manager handle it. I'd say if a jacket is preferred, then I'll let the manager do it. Otherwise I'll do it myself. Less chance the server is going to be stiffed if management doesn't get involved.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:35 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:28 am
Yeah, I guess if it's a nice restaurant let the manager handle it. I'd say if a jacket is preferred, then I'll let the manager do it. Otherwise I'll do it myself. Less chance the server is going to be stiffed if management doesn't get involved.
If it's McDonalds or Chipotle or something, sure do it yourself. If it's a nice restaurant, a) the staff really probably should have taken care of it already without you having to ask and b) it's best to avoid the conflict and have them deal with it
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:29 am Dealing with Job Finding apps (Monster, Indeed, ZipRecruiter, Hired) is like online dating.
Well, there is the possibility of a long term relationship for both, so that makes sense.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

When Winnipeg and San Jose play hockey do they ever have West Side Story night?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bfj wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:29 pm When Winnipeg and San Jose play hockey do they ever have West Side Story night?
⭐️
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The broadcasters never fail to note the West Side Story connection when they play those games.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

At some point over the last year or so I switched from checking the clock when I wake up in the middle of the night to not checking the clock when I wake in the middle of the night. It's to the point where I squeeze my eyes shut while rolling over so I can't judge by how light the room is, and I got burned this morning because we lost power last night (my wife insists on using a real alarm clock so she can set it ahead and...I don't know, pretend she's late so she gets ready faster?) and I woke up almost 2 hours late.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I used to do the pretend I'm late thing with an alarm clock.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

my parents have always had clocks on each side of their bed. my dad's to this day -- even though he's now retired -- is purposely set 8 minutes faster
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 am I used to do the pretend I'm late thing with an alarm clock.
I still do. But in a small victory, as I've gotten older I have it set only about 10 minutes ahead instead of 30 minutes ahead. (Even I am not exactly aware of how far ahead it is. About 10 minutes plus or minus 3 minutes.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Love to wake up and do math before snoozing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can't really snooze any more. When my alarm goes off, I immediately need to pee/shit, so no way I'm going to go right back to sleep for 9 more minutes. I'm at the point where if I get woken up after 3:30 or so, chances are I'm not going back to sleep. I just wish I could realize this at the time and get up to be productive rather than tossing and turning being pissed off I can't fall back asleep.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:14 am Love to wake up and do math before snoozing.
Dammit, I was going to make that joke.

Nothing like a little math to kick off your day!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've been up since 4:30 am.

I have stopped drinking coffee after 2 pm. I don;t drink anything after 9 pm (so I don;t have to wake up to pee). 4 or 5 nights a week I meditate in the evening. I know all the breathing exercises to do and yet most nights I am up at some point between 2:30 - 5. Most of the time I can get back to sleep after a half hour of reading or listening to ambient music, but I am pretty much resigned to the fact that 5-6 hours is the most sleep I can expect every night.

It is irritating and not healthy, I know.

But no way am I going the pill route.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:17 pm I've been up since 4:30 am.

I have stopped drinking coffee after 2 pm. I don;t drink anything after 9 pm (so I don;t have to wake up to pee). 4 or 5 nights a week I meditate in the evening. I know all the breathing exercises to do and yet most nights I am up at some point between 2:30 - 5. Most of the time I can get back to sleep after a half hour of reading or listening to ambient music, but I am pretty much resigned to the fact that 5-6 hours is the most sleep I can expect every night.

My brother in law had this problem and fixed it by becoming an Uber driver. Drives until 1-2 a lot of nights.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:19 pm
Pruitt wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:17 pm I've been up since 4:30 am.

My brother in law had this problem and fixed it by becoming an Uber driver. Drives until 1-2 a lot of nights.
When I was younger (say into my late 20s) I had a lot of trouble falling asleep at night, but no problem sleeping late or waking up in the middle of the night.

Situation is reversed now - usually read for 30 minutes at the most before falling asleep, but if I sleep to 7:30, it is a miracle (even on weekends).
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've always had trouble falling asleep. Could be nodding off in a chair, but hit the bead and I'm thinking of shit and tossing and turning for an hour.

I started taking melatonin. Godsend. Take as part of the routine, read for 20-30 minutes. Out like a light.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

At age 44, no matter what time I go to bed I always wake up around 5. Sometimes, if I don't have to get up, I can go back to sleep (after lying awake for a half hour or so) until 7ish, but that's if I'm lucky. Ive gotten to the point of acceptance. I go to bed when I'm tired...sometimes it's 9; other times it 1am and just deal with it the next day. The good thing is that most nights I don't have a problem falling asleep. I don't read or anything...I just go to bed. Makes my wife furious since she had to read or do a crossword before falling sleep.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm I've always had trouble falling asleep. Could be nodding off in a chair, but hit the bead and I'm thinking of shit and tossing and turning for an hour.

I started taking melatonin. Godsend. Take as part of the routine, read for 20-30 minutes. Out like a light.
Melatonin is wonderful. Weed is also wonderful for sleep.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

How high a dosage of melatonin do you guys take?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm I've always had trouble falling asleep. Could be nodding off in a chair, but hit the bead and I'm thinking of shit and tossing and turning for an hour.

Back when I traveled for work, I swore by melatonin. Took a small dose 30 minutes before bed. Really helped me stay asleep through the night. Made my dreams more vivid, too.

3mg or 5mg. I learned that a larger dose did not equal a greater ability to stay asleep.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've actually grown to love waking up early on the weekends. Quiet house, cup of coffee, bowl, read a book/catchup on a show...it's outstanding. I slept til 10 last weekend and hated it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto