Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:10 am I live where that shit's not necessary on my Mexican food.
I like this take.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

3 diff Cholula for mexican, Frank's for the basics like a wing sauce, Crystal for southern. And sriracha is overrated and mostly bad.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Crystal for southern and Cuban, Ssam for sriracha replacement, Franks for wings.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:00 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:10 am I live where that shit's not necessary on my Mexican food.
I like this take.
Yea, in central IN you take what you can get.

If anyone has hot sauce they're willing to send me, I'm all about it.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

After watching too many episodes of Hot Ones on YouTube, I'm starting to become this snobby hot sauce guy. My girlfriend is definitely doing something hot sauce related for my birthday. I opened up an Amazon box and there was a Bunster's Black Label I shouldn't have seen.

One: the hot sauces from that show can be found here: https://heatonist.com (The Hot Ones sauces are never, ever in stock.)

Two: after going to a fiery foods festival, I got hooked on this brand's stuff: http://heartbreakingdawns.com/hot-sauce/ My favorite, by far, is the Riff Lord. And wildly enough, the brand sold on base for way cheaper than the website.

Three: Valentina, Sriracha (before it was cool) and Crystal is great for basically everything. I'll do Frank's if I want to make my wing sauce though because that stuff is basic and not made for much else.

There's going to be a dedicated hot sauce rack when I remodel the kitchen.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Frank's is like the "official" taste of wing sauce in my mind. I'm not sure there's anything else I use it on.

Also, there was an entire store of just hot sauce out on the north fork of Long Island. It was fun to sample some of the crazier ones and its a rich area and all that, but how is that sustainable?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm Frank's is like the "official" taste of wing sauce in my mind. I'm not sure there's anything else I use it on.

Also, there was an entire store of just hot sauce out on the north fork of Long Island. It was fun to sample some of the crazier ones and its a rich area and all that, but how is that sustainable?
Outside of wings, Frank's should never be used. It's just a vinegar bomb. My go-to is Trader Joe's Green Dragon (hat tip to Rass, I think), which is more Mexican tasting than asian, but works on almost everything. Every year we go to New Hope, PA. They have a cool hot sauce store where you can taste everything. I always pick up a few bottles there for interesting things to change up the Green Dragon.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm
mister d wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm Frank's is like the "official" taste of wing sauce in my mind. I'm not sure there's anything else I use it on.

Outside of wings, Frank's should never be used. It's just a vinegar bomb.
Terrible, terrible take. If you replaced Frank's with Tabasco or Texas Pete, I'd agree.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm going to try some now because I don't think I've ever thought "too vinegar" with Frank's. Maybe the opposite if anything?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm back. I guess maybe relative to sriracha or cholula maybe, but I'm closer to ABs side. If anything I've always thought there was a weird ... not ketchupy taste ... but something that made me atleast think about ketchup?
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'm still not entirely convinced Sriracha isn't just ketchup with a few spices thrown in. I don't get the insistence that it has some unique, one-of-a-kind taste.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Frank's is great on a lot of stuff. I use it on grilled shrimp a lot.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 pm I'm still not entirely convinced Sriracha isn't just ketchup with a few spices thrown in. I don't get the insistence that it has some unique, one-of-a-kind taste.
Totally. There's no way of saying this without sounding like a dick, but it strikes me as hot sauce for someone who wants to say they like hot sauce but doesn't really like hot sauce.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I was the first Swamp acolyte of TJ's Green Dragon sauce. So good.
mister d wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 pm Also, there was an entire store of just hot sauce out on the north fork of Long Island. It was fun to sample some of the crazier ones and its a rich area and all that, but how is that sustainable?
There used to be one in New Hope, PA. Over the weekend while we were restocking the kitchen, my wife found a very old bottle of Da Bomb hot sauce I bought there many years ago which I don't think I've used in somewhat less years but managed to talk her into salvaging.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Outside of wings, Frank's should never be used. It's just a vinegar bomb.
Terrible, terrible take. If you replaced Frank's with Tabasco or Texas Pete, I'd agree.
Tabasco is garbage on everything except for one dot on a raw oyster.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Generally, I add some good fresh medium-hot salsa on the things on which you guys are using sauce. I rarely use hot sauce.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:48 pmTabasco is garbage on everything except for one dot on a raw oyster.
The chipotle Tabasco is very good but all other varieties are meh at best.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The only heat on an oyster should be goddamn horseradish!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 pm
Jim Leyland doesn’t fuck around.

I feel like the point of my post was missed.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Was it the reference to Ratemygamblingstory.com?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Love me some spicey piri-piri sauce.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:07 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:17 pm
Jim Leyland doesn’t fuck around.

I feel like the point of my post was missed.
Mansplain it for us!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley seeing someone respond to his post like ...

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

California...knows how to party. </Tupac>
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There's a car parked a full block over running so much bass that my house is literally shaking (not a lot, but still).

What the fuck, dude? Why?

ETA: It's literally causing ripples in my pool.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:15 pm There's a car parked a full block over running so much bass that my house is literally shaking (not a lot, but still).

What the fuck, dude? Why?

ETA: It's literally causing ripples in my pool.
Notice the car / plate. If it's there tomorrow, stab a tire and place a note on the car telling him you enjoyed the music.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Old friend of mine (public school through high school) is a respected jazz pianist here in Toronto.

He posts his music all the time, including his excursions into improv Jazz. I can't in all good conscience share these videos with my friends. It is truly the lowest form of music.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The guy that lived across from me in when I was in grad school is a jazz drummer. Used to love hearing him and his buddy that played the sax jam.

He was in a quartet with the son of Keith Jarrett. I asked if he he'd ever played with his dad. It was a resounding no.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm just not a Jazz fan. The improv jazz just seems like listening to guys goofing around or practicing.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:51 pm I'm just not a Jazz fan. The improv jazz just seems like listening to guys goofing around or practicing.
How about Medeski, Martin & Wood?
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 pm The guy that lived across from me in when I was in grad school is a jazz drummer. Used to love hearing him and his buddy that played the sax jam.

He was in a quartet with the son of Keith Jarrett. I asked if he he'd ever played with his dad. It was a resounding no.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:21 pm The guy that lived across from me in when I was in grad school is a jazz drummer. Used to love hearing him and his buddy that played the sax jam.

Fred Armisen look a like day?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, really an inside joke that only a handful will get, but the major plot point of the episode of Documentary Now with that screen shot is that the main character (played by Armisen) is framed for a crime he didn't commit because he's really annoying, specifically because he likes improv jazz.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:23 pm Well, really an inside joke that only a handful will get, but the major plot point of the episode of Documentary Now with that screen shot is that the main character (played by Armisen) is framed for a crime he didn't commit because he's really annoying, specifically because he likes improv jazz.
Took me a moment. That was a great episode. Still only seen like 4 or 5 of them - hard to get up here.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

In ATX to enjoy my last free weekend of the next five months and my 80-something year-old neighbor's significant other calls me. She hadn't been able to get ahold of him in the last two days, didn't see him at church and was apparently late to going over to her place today.

She asked if I could go over (I have a key) and see if everything was up. Obviously would have immediately gone over if I was home. Anyway, I told her I'd get in touch with my parents (who live down the street from me) and have one of them go over. My dad can't find the key at my house but goes and knocks on the door. Nothing.

So he goes to the neighbors on the other side of my neighbor's house. The man in that house is a fire chief in a neighboring town. He offers to go over with my dad to the house again. He checks the windows and ... yep. He's on the floor.

Neighbor kicks in the door and verifies what they all feared.

This sucks for obvious reasons, and I kinda feel guilty about not being home as I would have found the key (easier to remember where something is when you're home) and gone in and found him. And then been the one to call his significant other and tell her what had happened. Instead, my dad was part of this and she didn't know until she finally got up there about 45 minutes after they made the discovery because I wasn't going to call her and tell her what had happened from Texas.

Blah. Sorry. Just needed to vent.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

God that's awful.

But don't feel guilty - nothing you could have done to change the course of events.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Agree with Pruitt. Sorry to hear about it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

thanks. probably for the best. dad didn't see it either thankfully and I guess it was a bloody mess and he'd been dead for a few days.

The Isbell concert Sunday night was really good though.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think an underrated part about being married is preventing you from doing dumb things. At the craft show with the Rib Cookoff I saw the worst oil painting in my life -- Al Pacino as Scarface with Tony Soprano and Al Capone -- and if I was single I probably would have bought it because owning the worst painting in the world and displaying it ironically is a single guy move.