Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Pruitt »

Does anyone actually give half a shit about the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest? I mean, can anyone actually watch that sickening spectacle for more than 10 seconds?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:31 am Does anyone actually give half a shit about the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest? I mean, can anyone actually watch that sickening spectacle for more than 10 seconds?
I do not. I cannot. It's gross.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shouldn’t every hearing aid store be simply named “What?”?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My oldest was intrigued last year in a "how is this really happening" sort of way but we forgot about it this year. Its very gross.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:31 am Does anyone actually give half a shit about the Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest? I mean, can anyone actually watch that sickening spectacle for more than 10 seconds?
I just saw the highlights on TSN last night. The winner looked like he was about to chunder. Which he probably was.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've done this too.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:35 am I've done this too.

It's funny. This thought crossed my mind last night for a split second while watching with my boys. An hour or so later, I saw this tweet.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I get that feeling every year during the air show here when the fighter jets roar overhead.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm fortunate that my military career hasn't steered me towards a PTSD-laden existence.

My problem is people, however. Not loud booms and bangs.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Maybe deserving of its own thread, but for sure worth a read. I know most of you have children who are mostly upper elementary - college at this point, but should be read.

https://deadspin.com/a-letter-from-a-parent-1827484319
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not me and JFC the beginning is already terrifying.

(And it only gets worse.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Yup. Pretty much ended my day.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Heavy stuff.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I feel like hinted at this earlier, but something similar happened with one of mine at a preschool age, only the aggressor was an older boy. Manipulator is probably a better descriptor than aggressor, but whatever. Luckily, my wife caught the situation pretty quickly, and I don't think there was much physical contact. We don't see that family anymore, my kid doesn't seem to remember it, and I understand that the manipulator is in therapy. It was acutely terrifying at the time, and only generally terrifying now that we're removed from the event.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:20 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:11 pm
brian wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:56 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:46 pm There's probably a 75 percent chance Lin Manuel Miranda is an EGOT winner by march. I'm assuming he has the best shot at song from the Moana movie. PEGOT if you count the Pulitzer.

And he will have done it in like two years.
I know he's already got the G, but I would bet everything I own that Donald Glover will one day be an EGOT winner.
The unaired SNL Cleveland Cavs thing from this weekend was good.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2342 ... e-skit-nba
According to Chrissy Tiegen's Twitter feed, John Legend will complete the EGOT if he wins for Jesus Christ Superstar. He's nominated.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Yup. But I don’t think he will win. Tough category. He will get here someday same as Miranda.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So I’m getting back into golf (I stopped playing 25 years ago). I got fitted for some clubs a couple months ago - and splurged on some TaylorMade M4 irons and wedges and a 5-hybrid. I bought a Tommy Armour putter and filled out the bag with a starter set from Callaway/Strata. I’ll replace the fairway woods and driver with the same TM M4s once the price comes down next year.

Anyhoo - I drove down to my parents’ house in Palm Beach Gardens FL to get in a few rounds with my dad (PGA National). I shot a 97 yesterday. 46/51. That was with my woods left in the bag, and I was hitting the hybrid off every tee. And I can hardly hit the hybrid - distance is OK, but I push/slice everything. I probably putted yesterday better than I ever had in my life (made every putt inside 10 feet and didn’t three-putt once).

Any duffers around these here parts?
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Haven't played much since my kids have gotten older. Getting 18 in has become increasingly more difficult. I don't often have 6 hours to spare, (door to door).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am So I’m getting back into golf (I stopped playing 25 years ago). I got fitted for some clubs a couple months ago - and splurged on some TaylorMade M4 irons and wedges and a 5-hybrid. I bought a Tommy Armour putter and filled out the bag with a starter set from Callaway/Strata. I’ll replace the fairway woods and driver with the same TM M4s once the price comes down next year.

Anyhoo - I drove down to my parents’ house in Palm Beach Gardens FL to get in a few rounds with my dad (PGA National). I shot a 97 yesterday. 46/51. That was with my woods left in the bag, and I was hitting the hybrid off every tee. And I can hardly hit the hybrid - distance is OK, but I push/slice everything. I probably putted yesterday better than I ever had in my life (made every putt inside 10 feet and didn’t three-putt once).

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=852

Shot a 95 yesterday, which is pretty bad for me. I usually shoot in the 80s. Been fighting my swing a lot the last month or so. Most of my shots are going high and right, and my distance has dropped quite a bit. I really should take a lesson so I can figure out what the hell I’m doing.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I like how Bloody Mary's are a Sunday brunch drink.

Because it refers to Jesus's mom.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am Any duffers around these here parts?
My spring, summer and fall revolves around my weekly (and sometimes twice weekly) rounds.

I stink, but am good enough to enjoy myself. (Low 90s) Also spent 25 years away from the game.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:56 pm I like how Bloody Mary's are a Sunday brunch drink.

Because it refers to Jesus's mom.
Hmm, I thought Sundays were reserved for whiskey, neat. Much like Monday through Saturday... :)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Whisky is great. But I'm definitely a rum guy.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:06 pm Whisky is great. But I'm definitely a rum guy.
I prefer whiskey, but I certainly have nothing against rum. I'm just not a fan of mixed drinks.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:25 am
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am So I’m getting back into golf (I stopped playing 25 years ago). I got fitted for some clubs a couple months ago - and splurged on some TaylorMade M4 irons and wedges and a 5-hybrid. I bought a Tommy Armour putter and filled out the bag with a starter set from Callaway/Strata. I’ll replace the fairway woods and driver with the same TM M4s once the price comes down next year.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=852

Shot a 95 yesterday, which is pretty bad for me. I usually shoot in the 80s. Been fighting my swing a lot the last month or so. Most of my shots are going high and right, and my distance has dropped quite a bit. I really should take a lesson so I can figure out what the hell I’m doing.
I have to play twice this week for work and have played 2 more rounds this year, both in the mid 90s.

I suck. This is why I picked up disc golf.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I used to golf regularly. I come from a family of serious golfers. But one day I had an epiphany. Golf didn’t relax me . It usually frustrated me. A sinkhole of time and lots of expense for something that brought more displeasure than pleasure. So I haven’t played now for ten years and don’t miss it a bit.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am I used to golf regularly. I come from a family of serious golfers. But one day I had an epiphany. Golf didn’t relax me . It usually frustrated me. A sinkhole of time and lots of expense for something that brought more displeasure than pleasure. So I haven’t played now for ten years and don’t miss it a bit.
Maybe because I was away from the game for 20+ years, I simply can't take the game too seriously.

Obviously, I get pissed off when I'm aiming for the left side of the fairway and my drive clears trees on the right and lands on the next fairway over, or when my 6 foot putt for par ends up 8 feet past the hole, or when...

But since I golf with guys who are at the exact same level of near-competence as myself, the frustration never gets too far.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am I used to golf regularly. I come from a family of serious golfers. But one day I had an epiphany. Golf didn’t relax me . It usually frustrated me. A sinkhole of time and lots of expense for something that brought more displeasure than pleasure. So I haven’t played now for ten years and don’t miss it a bit.
So much this. I would get more relaxation flushing that $60 for 18 holes down the shitter. I was never going to play enough to improve because of time and money so I stopped and don’t miss it at all.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I do enjoy going to the driving range every now and again.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

"I'm tired of today's PC culture" is oddly enough just a PC way to say that you just want to be a douche to people.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:12 pm I do enjoy going to the driving range every now and again.
Yeah but BFJ...who does not love Tom Mitchell's Golf Gridiron? I am pretty sure that I had a perfect score on getting a another date after an evening at Tom Mitchell's (but was also banned from the 9-hole executive course for a period of time).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 am "I'm tired of today's PC culture" is oddly enough just a PC way to say that you just want to be a douche to people.
I love it when it's followed up with whining that political satirists on TV are too mean.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:12 am
bfj wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:12 pm I do enjoy going to the driving range every now and again.
Yeah but BFJ...who does not love Tom Mitchell's Golf Gridiron? I am pretty sure that I had a perfect score on getting a another date after an evening at Tom Mitchell's (but was also banned from the 9-hole executive course for a period of time).
Good times at Tom's. I realized that anyone who mini golfs that isn't on a date or with children has serious issues though.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 am "I'm tired of today's PC culture" is oddly enough just a PC way to say that you just want to be a douche to people.
I love it when it's followed up with whining that political satirists on TV are too mean.
Sentences you often hear along with the one Sybian said --

"If It isn't offensive to me, it isn't offensive".
"When I was young, this wasn't offensive".
"If you're offended by it, that's your problem".
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Giff wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:58 am
Of course. That's the dichotomy that leads to the characterization of say Barack Obama as a mom-jeans wearing pussy-tyrant.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:25 am Shouldn’t every hearing aid store be simply named “What?”?
This has made me laugh or smile every time I've seen it.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I don't like that when quoting a post The Swamp 6.3 doesn't keep the posters name attached.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm I don't like that when quoting a post The Swamp 6.3 doesn't keep the posters name attached.
User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Global Settings -> My Board Style

Change to prosilver from subsilver2

You'll lose the old-ish Swamp look, but get the quotes back and it looks much better on a mobile device.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

rass wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:22 pm I don't like that when quoting a post The Swamp 6.3 doesn't keep the posters name attached.
User Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit Global Settings -> My Board Style

Change to prosilver from subsilver2

You'll lose the old-ish Swamp look, but get the quotes back and it looks much better on a mobile device.

ok, but I feel so dirty...and I don't like the wide margins.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

No idea what it is about Soy Vey Veri Veri Teriyaki, but within an hour after eating something that's been marinaded with it, I'm volcanoing it all out the other end.