Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Gunpowder »

It needs DMX to work.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Gunpowder wrote:Anybody see Hot Tub Time Machine?

I have not but was told my movie premise is similar and that sucks. Is this similar to HTTM?:

I go back in time to like the early 80s or so. I steal rap songs, mostly DMX's and I'm HUGE. Like, Ruff Ryder's Anthem is the top song of 1982 and I'm killing it. However, 15 years later, struggling rapper and petty criminal DMX is fed up with his failures in the rap game and he ends up killing the Canadian Prime Minister, sparking WWIII. My son is eventually drafted into the war effort so I'm conflicted as hell. Yada yada yada.
That's not THAT close to HTTM. You're similar to one aspect of it, but it's far from the main premise.

Funny movie, by the way - particularly the part that's similar to your story.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:Anybody see Hot Tub Time Machine?

I have not but was told my movie premise is similar and that sucks. Is this similar to HTTM?:

I go back in time to like the early 80s or so. I steal rap songs, mostly DMX's and I'm HUGE. Like, Ruff Ryder's Anthem is the top song of 1982 and I'm killing it. However, 15 years later, struggling rapper and petty criminal DMX is fed up with his failures in the rap game and he ends up killing the Canadian Prime Minister, sparking WWIII. My son is eventually drafted into the war effort so I'm conflicted as hell. Yada yada yada.
Huge plot hole, rich people's kids never get drafted.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:
Shirley wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
rass wrote:How many times has Charles Manson had his tattoo touched up over the years?
You know how like a few times a year some kid dies of a completely treatable affliction due to medical neglect because the parents belong to some Christian Science church that promotes faith-healing only and then they get like 10 years for manslaughter? Ever wonder why you don't see the pastors of these churches charged? I mean what's the difference between a guy that brainwashes people into letting their children suffer and die and Charles Manson?
Have you ever read about what the Manson Family did in those houses?
You know, I haven't. I'm working under the impression that Chuck never directly committed any crimes though.
I just finished a biography of Chuck, so I'll pretend to be an expert, here. He didn't directly commit any of those widely-publicized Tate or LaBianca murders, but, the guy was really a horrible sick criminal who consistently committed numerous heinous crimes from his young boyhood, onward. He was a career criminal long before anybody ever heard of him. Just one example - when he was about 13, in juvie, he got busted in the act of sodomizing another kid while holding a straight razor to the kid's throat.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

My mom was friends growing up with Leslie van Houten of the "Family." Midway through high school Leslie started getting "strange" and drifted away from my mom and the others in that circle of friends. They lost contact with her and did not hear from her again until she showed up in the news after the killings.

Wait--should this go in the Brushes thread?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnny Carwash wrote:My mom was friends growing up with Leslie van Houten of the "Family." Midway through high school Leslie started getting "strange" and drifted away from my mom and the others in that circle of friends. They lost contact with her and did not hear from her again until she showed up in the news after the killings.

Wait--should this go in the Brushes thread?
It doesn't beat Vijay Armritraj.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The other day I'm going to my gym, which happens to be in an office building so I pass through the lobby every time, and I notice this older guy sitting outside the sandwich shop with an entire loaf of bread in his hands. He's just taking bites off it, one at a time. No butter or anything. It's one of those large, roundish, artisan-type loafs. So I go do my workout, and on the way out, he's polishing off the very last of it. For 45+ minutes, this guy just sat there and ate an entire loaf of bread. Crazy.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:The other day I'm going to my gym, which happens to be in an office building so I pass through the lobby every time, and I notice this older guy sitting outside the sandwich shop with an entire loaf of bread in his hands. He's just taking bites off it, one at a time. No butter or anything. It's one of those large, roundish, artisan-type loafs. So I go do my workout, and on the way out, he's polishing off the very last of it. For 45+ minutes, this guy just sat there and ate an entire loaf of bread. Crazy.
I have to admit I've actually done this before. (Though not out in public.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We get 10 work from home days a year. If I'm going to take advantage of even half of those I'm going to need to buy a real computer chair.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You can come sit at my dining room table with me. Pretty comfy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

What's for dinner?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:The other day I'm going to my gym, which happens to be in an office building so I pass through the lobby every time, and I notice this older guy sitting outside the sandwich shop with an entire loaf of bread in his hands. He's just taking bites off it, one at a time. No butter or anything. It's one of those large, roundish, artisan-type loafs. So I go do my workout, and on the way out, he's polishing off the very last of it. For 45+ minutes, this guy just sat there and ate an entire loaf of bread. Crazy.
Just sitting there, not even watching tv or reading a magazine?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Three and a half years ago, when they were packing up the office furniture for the move of the corporate office from San Mateo to Ann Arbor, I nipped the VP of HR's awesome Herman Miller office chair, and took it home to use in my home office.

Maybe that goes in the confessions thread...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:
brian wrote:
Just sitting there, not even watching tv or reading a magazine?
Oh yeah, never done that. If I'm eating at home I'm probably reading or watching TV (or on the Internet or some shit like that). I thought you were puzzled by him just eating a loaf of bread.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote:What's for dinner?
Whatever Saffron is cooking.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote:We get 10 work from home days a year. If I'm going to take advantage of even half of those I'm going to need to buy a real computer chair.
Really? I just lay out on the couch when I work from home.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Never saw that either.
I know. I remember.

In all seriousness(?), the ridiculous conflict with Canada causing WWIII sounds way too close to the South Park movie.
It's closer to Canadian Bacon than anything. And I don't get the Spaceballs reference at all (unless it was a joke...which I then didn't get).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote:We get 10 work from home days a year. If I'm going to take advantage of even half of those I'm going to need to buy a real computer chair.
I bought an office chair from Costco a few months ago, and it's been an outstanding purchase. I think it cost about $100.

I visited our office in Vermont last Friday, and they bought new office chairs for everyone. They were Tempurpedic chairs with a memory foam pad and Herman Miller-style fabric. Damn, was it comfortable.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:Three and a half years ago, when they were packing up the office furniture for the move of the corporate office from San Mateo to Ann Arbor, I nipped the VP of HR's awesome Herman Miller office chair, and took it home to use in my home office.

My wife is one of the few people in her large company who is friendly with the Office Equipment guys.

There was a round of layoffs a couple of years ago, and as a result of the cutbacks and her friendliness, I have a Herman Miller chair here in the home office. It is good.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:
rass wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Never saw that either.
I know. I remember.

In all seriousness(?), the ridiculous conflict with Canada causing WWIII sounds way too close to the South Park movie.
It's closer to Canadian Bacon than anything. And I don't get the Spaceballs reference at all (unless it was a joke...which I then didn't get).
Yup, Swampcrash.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Spent the last couple of minutes internally debating similarities/differences between "The Road Goes On Forever" and the video for "High Enough". Sonny was a nicer guy that the dude in "High Enough".
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote:Three and a half years ago, when they were packing up the office furniture for the move of the corporate office from San Mateo to Ann Arbor, I nipped the VP of HR's awesome Herman Miller office chair, and took it home to use in my home office.

batteries.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I just sneezed beer into my hand.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Did you lick it back up?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No. It's OK, but not that good.

I did post the above before I bothered washing my hands, though. I feel so Millennial.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Work drinkin', huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Work drinkin', huh?
Woo
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I'm pretty sure no retail store employee has ever responded to an intercom request.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:I'm pretty sure no retail store employee has ever responded to an intercom request.
Certainly not at Home Depot.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was concerned because the police were arresting some guy directly across the street from our house (we live in a really quiet cul de sec/subdivision so just seeing a police car is surprising), but appears the guy was just some mentally disabled guy who might have gotten lost/tried to get into the wrong house and now I feel worse. The police cuffed him but were letting him sit up front in the car. Hope he was able to get home. I assume he wasn't actually charged with anything. I'm all bummed out now.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Family. Day after Thanksgiving. Sunset. Beer. Screened porch. Fiona Apple? Fiona Apple. Leaves. Cool. Crisp. Fall. Smell? Pig rendering plant. North Caorlina? North Carolina!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:Family. Day after Thanksgiving. Sunset. Beer. Screened porch. Fiona Apple? Fiona Apple. Leaves. Cool. Crisp. Fall. Smell? Pig rendering plant. North Caorlina? North Carolina!
Where you at, boy?
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Goldsboro, sir.

I love it down here, in small doses. Where my parents (still) live in DE was never all that South-ern (though you can find it if you look) and is pretty built up at this point. My sister lives out of town, where it's flat and empty.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I love North Carolina. I'm not sure I'd dig the insane politics and state government, but I love visiting.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seriously mulling a move to Asheville here in the next few years. Love it there.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:I love it down ... Where my ... pretty ... sister ... i...s flat and empty.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pulled up next to a woman who was both texting and picking her nose.

It was a red light, but seriously?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote:Goldsboro, sir.

I love it down here, in small doses. Where my parents (still) live in DE was never all that South-ern (though you can find it if you look) and is pretty built up at this point. My sister lives out of town, where it's flat and empty.
Yeah, Goldsboro's the real deal. The Triangle is kinda South Lite. Asheville is probably even less Southern, although you don't have to go too far to get into some serious Appalachia shit, which can be super crazy.

Goldsboro has some damn good barbecue.
Totally Kafkaesque
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

New Bern/Havelock/Lejune, where my sister currently lives, is way too much south for me. Plus, Marines!
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I suspect my wife has spent well north of $2,000 on Christmas decorations.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”