Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by A_B »

Anyone else get the idea Rass has been hammered for about two weeks?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I wish. Once in that time frame, last Saturday. A little buzzed the night before.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I need to go on a two-week bender. My wife was in Ireland for a bit over a week so I was a single dad to a 2 and 4-year-old. She came back and went in for some long needed surgery so has been laid up for another 4 days. I'm a little tired and in need of more than a few drinks.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:51 pm
rass wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:27 pm Shit, I read that earlier and thought that couldn't mean Dewey Beach. How far away are you/how big is the school that DBPD would trouble themselves with that?
1a. It was a combined meeting with another large school (Whitman). Combined enrollment is probably around 3000? Maybe closer to 4000.

1b. The room was packed with both students and parents. Conservatively estimate about 250+.

2) We are 3.5 hours from the MD/DE beaches, but it kind of reinforces the point that the high school beach weeks (which I think begin this week and go through mid-June) had been turning into a shitshow for the locals. It's worth their time to drive up here and at a minimum open some eyes, with (presumably) the goal of convincing parents not to send their kids out there.

3) Here's what I don't understand about that mindset (in terms of parents saying no)... In almost every case I'm aware of, a parent is either staying in the house or chaperoning from a satellite location. It's not like they are completely unsupervised.

Also... Your kid is about to go to college in 3 months. What the fuck do you think is going to happen then? It's a really weird blinders on situation for these people. Gonna have to let go at some point.
So this got posted on Arlington Now (hyper-local news site)
Local Man Charged With Punching Horse in Dewey — A 23-year-old Arlington man has been charged with striking a Delaware State Police horse during a late night brawl in Dewey Beach, Del. over Memorial Day weekend. The horse was uninjured
http://www.capegazette.com/article/offi ... awl/158240

from the article
Dewey Mayor T.J. Redefer said the town will not tolerate bad behavior from visitors.

“If you come to Dewey Beach to cause trouble and break the law ,you will be arrested,” he said. “Dewey Beach is ready and we will act swiftly to protect life and property.”
Also the mug shots in the article are great
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's where my buddy gets his Suicide wings... shop on the corner.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:51 pm
rass wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:27 pm Shit, I read that earlier and thought that couldn't mean Dewey Beach. How far away are you/how big is the school that DBPD would trouble themselves with that?
1a. It was a combined meeting with another large school (Whitman). Combined enrollment is probably around 3000? Maybe closer to 4000.

1b. The room was packed with both students and parents. Conservatively estimate about 250+.

2) We are 3.5 hours from the MD/DE beaches, but it kind of reinforces the point that the high school beach weeks (which I think begin this week and go through mid-June) had been turning into a shitshow for the locals. It's worth their time to drive up here and at a minimum open some eyes, with (presumably) the goal of convincing parents not to send their kids out there.

3) Here's what I don't understand about that mindset (in terms of parents saying no)... In almost every case I'm aware of, a parent is either staying in the house or chaperoning from a satellite location. It's not like they are completely unsupervised.

Also... Your kid is about to go to college in 3 months. What the fuck do you think is going to happen then? It's a really weird blinders on situation for these people. Gonna have to let go at some point.

Doesn't Whitman have a new principal? There may have been some sort of past connection with Dewey.

I coached at Whitman a while back and still have some friends there. I had heard stories from kids that went to beach week and it sounded like some of the kids went completely wild. I wouldn't be surprised to see that it has escalated over the years. I think some of the parents saying "no" is they know some of the other kids and they don't want their kids being with them. I do remember that some of the parents offered to rent a house farther south or just away from the bad crowd as an alternative.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't know about Whitman's principal, because fuck the Vikings. (jk, sorta... My kids went to the same high school i did, so BCC, Whitman and Churchill have always been rivals.)

This cop has been coming to MoCo (and New Castle and Wilmington) for many years, so this isn't some new development. From what I've been able to gather, things have pretty dramatically calmed down the last 5 years or so.

1) The cops doing good PR is getting the word out and either scaring parents off, or putting the fear of the law in everyone to not go out there with a "fuck it" attitude.

2) Homeowners are just less likely to rent in June. And when you get past the kind of cottage/shacks, the value of these homes in Dewey, Rehobeth and Bethany can be in the millions. They aren't going to risk renting to high schoolers, or if the do, they are doing serious vetting and talking to parents to understand how they are going to control the kids.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Chief Scientific Officer of the Institute always signs his emails with 'Per aspera ad astra'. I finally got curious and googled what it means...its "through difficulties to the stars".
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So I've finally downloaded Venmo (only because everyone else I know uses it - sorry, Cash App) because I'm late to this party.

Anyhoo, what's wild to me is that people don't make their transactions private. Thankfully the app doesn't display the dollar amount exchanged, but I can comment on or like the transactions. It's ripe for trolling.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:32 pm The Chief Scientific Officer of the Institute always signs his emails with 'Per aspera ad astra'. I finally got curious and googled what it means...its "through difficulties to the stars".
It's the state motto of Kansas. Per crosswordia ad that factum.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My GF and her ex had a meeting with the parents of their autistic daughter's housemate to talk about some issues and touch base about how things are going (they've only been housemates a few months now).

Anyways...they met at an Olive Garden. And the Ex asked if they had chips and salsa. They didn't, but he ended up ordering 'Italian Nachos', which were basically crispy lasagna noodles with red sauce, cream sauce, and melted mozzarella cheese.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Really putting that other thread's "fruit and chocolate" debate in proper perspective.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I feel the need to apologize for the joke I made to myself given the context you've stated, Dave.

I'm sorry.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 pm They didn't, but he ended up ordering 'Italian Nachos', which were basically crispy lasagna noodles with red sauce, cream sauce, and melted mozzarella cheese.
Every time a restaurant tries this shit ("Mexican pizza!" "Chinese tacos!") it just makes me really want the original ethnic version of that thing.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"American cheese"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 pm They didn't, but he ended up ordering 'Italian Nachos', which were basically crispy lasagna noodles with red sauce, cream sauce, and melted mozzarella cheese.
Every time a restaurant tries this shit ("Mexican pizza!" "Chinese tacos!") it just makes me really want the original ethnic version of that thing.
Funny I watched the first ep of "Ugly Delicious" last night on Netflix(Ba-dum) and he challenged that very notion. Interesting.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Exception: Korean Bulgogi _________.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 pm
Exception: Korean Bulgogi _________.
Yeah, there's a place here in Vegas that does Korean/Mexican fusion and it's outstanding. Bulgogi tacos, nachos, etc.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 pmException: Korean Bulgogi _________.
Ice cream.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Bulgogi reference reminds me that my company had a Hawaiian themed dinner at a conference a couple of weeks ago (my coworker who puts the conference together is Hawaiian) and one of the food items was loco moco and I had to physically restrain myself from going back for thirds. Craving it now.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 pm My GF and her ex had a meeting with the parents of their autistic daughter's housemate to talk about some issues and touch base about how things are going (they've only been housemates a few months now).

Anyways...they met at an Olive Garden. And the Ex asked if they had chips and salsa. They didn't, but he ended up ordering 'Italian Nachos', which were basically crispy lasagna noodles with red sauce, cream sauce, and melted mozzarella cheese.
Don't want to get involved in your personal business... but he sounds like a complete idiot.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:36 pm I had to physically restrain myself
I'm trying to see this in my head.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I know this isn't a dig at the Taco Bell classic Mexican Pizza. Cause I will cut a bitch.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

rass wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:36 pm Bulgogi reference reminds me that my company had a Hawaiian themed dinner at a conference a couple of weeks ago (my coworker who puts the conference together is Hawaiian) and one of the food items was loco moco and I had to physically restrain myself from going back for thirds. Craving it now.
That and spam musubi. Yes, please.
brian wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:31 pm Yeah, there's a place here in Vegas that does Korean/Mexican fusion and it's outstanding. Bulgogi tacos, nachos, etc.
First time I had a Korean burrito was at the Kogi truck. It was outstanding.

Episode 2 of Ugly Delicious features the Kogi truck and Roy Choi, coincidentally.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:14 pm
I know this isn't a dig at the Taco Bell classic Mexican Pizza. Cause I will cut a bitch.
Oh, that's exactly what I was thinking of.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Italian nachos at old Chicago pizza are excellent.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:35 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 pmException: Korean Bulgogi _________.
Ice cream.
With Kimchi ripples... I'd try it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:26 pmFirst time I had a Korean burrito was at the Kogi truck.
Same here.
Johnnie wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:26 pmIt was outstanding.
I wondered why people lined up for it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:33 am1. Yesterday was the day every modern day parent looks forward to, the first day your kid comes home reporting social media fueled rumors of a threatened shooting at school. We did get a message from the principal yesterday afternoon, assuring us that the police and school officials spent all day investigating the matter and found it to be nothing more than a rumor started by a kid who they identified and promised to punish appropriately. And don’t worry, plenty of police will be at the school in the morning. Watching my daughter struggle with whether she would go to school this morning (we left it entirely up to her), trying to assure her but feeling kind of uncomfortable telling her with 100% certainty that nothing would ever happen, fucking sucked. She went to work with my wife this morning. Half day anyway.
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:20 amOn point 1, sorry to have you join the club.
And an email and voicemail received earlier today (the voicemail was simply a recording of the email):
Dear Parents and Guardians,

I am writing today to make you aware that the Town of (X) Police Department announced today, Wednesday, June 6, that it arrested a (X) High School student on Tuesday, June 5, in relation to making terroristic threats.

The comments made via Snapchat involved threats of school violence and were reported to school officials who then informed the (X) Police Department’s School Information Resource Officer based at (X) High School.

We worked closely with the police department to identify the student and investigate the claim. Police determined that the student had no access to weapons, and at no time was the school in danger.

The safety and well-being of our students and staff are our utmost priority. We will continue to be vigilant and encourage those around us to partner with us in creating an environment where all feel supported. If your child sees or hears of something that is disconcerting, please encourage them to share those concerns with a trusted adult.

As always, our school counselors are available to meet with concerned students.

If you have any information to share about this matter, please contact the Town of (X) Police Department.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Sincerely,

Superintendent of Schools
(X) Central School District
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sorry man. And timely bump as the other middle school in town had a situation today similar to the one I described at my kid's school a couple of weeks ago.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sorry that this is going on. Just awful.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Security at my daughter's graduation was TSA level of scrutiny (minus that Total Recall machine where they take a picture of your insides).

I didn't mind one bit.

End of the year, a lot of kids start getting very emotional.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm not a big proponent of homeschooling, but if this shit keeps up by the time my kids in school...I'm putting a chalkboard in their playhouse.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 pm I'm not a big proponent of homeschooling, but if this shit keeps up by the time my kids in school...I'm putting a chalkboard in their playhouse.
Homeschooling! Its not just for Christian Wackos anymore!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:33 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 pm I'm not a big proponent of homeschooling, but if this shit keeps up by the time my kids in school...I'm putting a chalkboard in their playhouse.
Homeschooling! Its not just for Christian Wackos anymore!
Had the same reservations about homeschooling, but we're on year 3, and likely not turning back.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Intruder with a weapon drill for our elementary yesterday. Gonna wait until the weekend to talk about it.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Just remember the song...

And HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So, here is an curious series of events...

Prior to Memorial Day, our daughter brings home an invitation to a birthday party for a classmate at Sky Zone (a trampoline place). It's for the same day (June 16) we have slated for our daughter's birthday. She wants a "dance party" theme, so we are opting for an evening party (6:30-8:30). No big deal, as the other party is around lunch time, so my wife sends out the evite to the guest list (mostly girls in our daughter's class) either Memorial Day or the day after.

Thursday after Memorial Day, the class has a field trip to Sky Zone (they allegedly learned about gravity, force, friction, etc.).

A couple nights ago, my wife gets an emailed invitation to a birthday party for one of the girls in our daughter's class. This party is at Sky Zone on the 16th from 4:30-7:30pm.

We're baffled at this other party. As best we can figure, the other girl really wanted a party at Sky Zone after the field trip and that was the only time the parents could get remotely close to her birthday, even though she had already been invited to a birthday party at the same date/time. At the other end of the spectrum, it is possible the other parents fucked up by not sending out the invitation until this late date despite having the place booked prior to Memorial Day.

Part of it, to me, is concern that some of the kids who have yet to RSVP (including the three boys) now won't come and the party may be a bit disappointing for our daughter.

Are we crazy about the late invitation for the same date/time?

By the way, may those of you parents who are not there yet enjoy your future introduction to the Birthday Party Industrial Complex.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I would not have understood any of this 4 years ago. Odds are this is going to suck for the other kid which is pretty shitty of her parents.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:46 pm I would not have understood any of this 4 years ago. Odds are this is going to suck for the other kid which is pretty shitty of her parents.
Well, my daughter only invited three boys from the class and two were late adds, including my wife forgetting to send the invitation to them until after the second Sky Zone party invite came out (just found out the boy she originally had invited is not coming, a decision that came after Sky Zone invite #2). We're OK'ing any more late adds (her friends have revolved through whomever has been in her class each year, so if she wants to invite anyone not in her class late, that's fine). She'll still have at least ten people at the party, so it'll be fine. Just being a parent who wants it to be the best it can be (I'm dressing up in a suit and sunglasses to stand outside with a clipboard as a "bouncer" for when the kids show up).