Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 pm Scary stuff. That must have been loud AF.
Talking with some of my co-workers who were here yesterday, they thought it was an earthquake and the whole building was about to collapse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:50 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 pm Scary stuff. That must have been loud AF.
Talking with some of my co-workers who were here yesterday, they thought it was an earthquake and the whole building was about to collapse.
Maybe the building actually swayed a little in response (as designed) to whatever tremor that crane collapse caused?
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:13 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:50 pm
Maybe the building actually swayed a little in response (as designed) to whatever tremor that crane collapse caused?
Here's video of it happening:

The rumors are that the crane company was in process of 'unpinning' the sections for removal when a rain squall moved through.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Damn, was that a body I saw flying?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Do people that chew with their mouth open not realize they are doing it or not realize that it's disgusting and makes me want to murder them or do they just not care? I find it highly unlikely that you can be an adult human being with that just going unchecked.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:59 pm Do people that chew with their mouth open not realize they are doing it or not realize that it's disgusting and makes me want to murder them or do they just not care? I find it highly unlikely that you can be an adult human being with that just going unchecked.
Yeah, I used to know a guy - a tax lawyer, who did that all the time. We were good enough friends that I mentioned it to him once. He just laughed it off. Didn't change a bit. It was strange habit for him to have, because he behaved properly and professionally in all other ways.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jerloma wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 12:59 pm Do people that chew with their mouth open not realize they are doing it or not realize that it's disgusting and makes me want to murder them or do they just not care? I find it highly unlikely that you can be an adult human being with that just going unchecked.
As I get older, things like this disgust me more and more. Bad table manners are inexcusable.

Even the sound of chewing in a movie is enough to get my skin crawling.

At a family brunch on the weekend and I was talking to my 20 year old nephew about his plans for med school. Smart kid who used a fork, but not knife. He actually chewed on a speared tomato slice, talked with his mouth full as he held the fork with the slice in front of his face.

I mean, what the fuck?!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I think I eat like an asshole only when I'm standing up, for whatever reason. I honestly don't realize I'm doing it

My buddy starts mimicking a cow as I'm eating. I immediately rectify that shit because it's the same thing my mom does.

So really, I'm more ashamed I'm acting like my mom than having bad manners.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:26 pm I eat...an asshole only when I'm standing up, for whatever reason. I honestly don't realize I'm doing it

My buddy starts...eating...shit because it's the same thing my mom does.

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 pm
Johnnie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:26 pm I eat...an asshole only when I'm standing up, for whatever reason. I honestly don't realize I'm doing it

My buddy starts...eating...shit because it's the same thing my mom does.

God damn!!!!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't think I've done that standing up, but I'll have to try it next time.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

What the hell is "camaroing"?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 am What the hell is "camaroing"?
Getting someones phone number, posting a for sale for a fictional camaro with that person's phone number.....
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah and no one wanted to do that to my ex-wife. How about my wife's ex-boss? Pretty please?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I just successfully pulled off the “get a homeless guy get away from you during a conversation by convincing him that you’re really the crazy one” which requires a level of fucked up most people don’t understand.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

OK I’ll say it. I don’t know what weird is anymore. Every time I go out crazy super weird shit happens that didn’t happen when I was younger. I’m at a concert with 50 people here and a homeless guy and a different guy with a Lil’ Sebastian T-shirt and I don’t know if that’s weird and my brain is broken.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:51 pm OK I’ll say it. I don’t know what weird is anymore. Every time I go out crazy super weird shit happens that didn’t happen when I was younger. I’m at a concert with 50 people here and a homeless guy and a different guy with a Lil’ Sebastian T-shirt and I don’t know if that’s weird and my brain is broken.
Details?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:51 pm OK I’ll say it. I don’t know what weird is anymore. Every time I go out crazy super weird shit happens that didn’t happen when I was younger. I’m at a concert with 50 people here and a homeless guy and a different guy with a Lil’ Sebastian T-shirt and I don’t know if that’s weird and my brain is broken.
Eh. They had a lot of championship shirts printed up just in case they won the emmy, but they lost to Veep so they just dumped em.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Maybe the universe just wants Dave to have blue jeans.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 am Maybe the universe just wants Dave to have blue jeans.
Grey jeans are for losers anyway.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

After a brief discussion last night, sancarlos and I determined that I am now atop the leaderboard for Swampers visits to his house with three visits.

The honor was marked by getting the same walking tour of San Carlos as Giff and going to the same brewery as Sybian.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That was a good walk. sancarlos is #2 on the number of steps shared with a Swamper. brian is far and away in the lead though.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

SC am I the leader for beers shared with a Swamper on a train?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’d put Sabo and mulligan at the top of the list for pretty much any scenario.

But especially gay sex. Which is their prerogative as consenting adults.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:11 pm That was a good walk. sancarlos is #2 on the number of steps shared with a Swamper. brian is far and away in the lead though.
Vegas and Austin are two big walking cities though.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yep, a good time had by all with DSG last night.

I think Rush probably wins for beers on a train out of my town, but I think Sabo and I had train beers, too, iirc.

Hey, any of you guys who visit the Bay Area, give me a shout!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:47 am After a brief discussion last night, sancarlos and I determined that I am now atop the leaderboard for Swampers visits to his house with three visits.

The honor was marked by getting the same walking tour of San Carlos as Giff and going to the same brewery as Sybian.
Which one? I think SC has taken me to three, and several restaurants with fantastic beer lists.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

The Sybian wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:52 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:47 am After a brief discussion last night, sancarlos and I determined that I am now atop the leaderboard for Swampers visits to his house with three visits.

Which one? I think SC has taken me to three, and several restaurants with fantastic beer lists.
Blue Oak Brewing - the one in a warehouse space by the freeway.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

On the train in Wales, the woman behind me is speaking English, but i have absolutely no idea what she actually said.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So I'm driving on the highway back to work after a court appearance. I'm a little hungry, so I decided to eat my 10 am fruit a little early, today it's a banana. I finish it, and then waited until I was along side the grass. I roll my window down and throw the peel out onto the grass in the median.

BEEPBEEPBEEP!!! BEEPBEEPBEEPBEEP!!!!

This woman in the car behind me is honking the hell out of her horn at me. Slowing down due to contruction traffic, she pulls into the lane next to me and starts angrily gesticulating and I'm assuming yelling at me. She makes the motion to roll down the window. I do.

"Don't you know you can't litter on the Blue Route! That's wasteful and it can cause an accident!! Did you think you were going to get away with that!"

"Ma'am... it's a banana peel. It'll compost. That's why I threw it specifically on the grass."

Did I do bad behavior here? I'm thinking in a utilitarian way I did a net positive.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You're good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's certainly a far cry from throwing a plastic bottle or something like that, but the play is probably just to leave it in your car until you can throw it away into a proper receptacle. At best, it still looks pretty bad if you have the 10,000 people (or whatever it is) driving by there every day all throwing their fruit rinds out the window.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Isn't it better to compost in a non-walking area than use up even a little space in a garbage bag? On the flipside, when I was doing this exact thing and explaining to my oldest why it was ok, my passenger's side window broke and wouldn't go back up, which felt like a bit of an omen.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Wait, what? You littered bad.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I was throwing out a pear core, not a window, to be clear to you.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:44 am Isn't it better to compost in a non-walking area than use up even a little space in a garbage bag? On the flipside, when I was doing this exact thing and explaining to my oldest why it was ok, my passenger's side window broke and wouldn't go back up, which felt like a bit of an omen.
I think a good rule of thumb is usually -- "how would it play out if everyone did it?".

So that works here -- I think pretty obviously it would be super gross if everyone did it. That works for a lot of different stuff by the way. If you're driving 20 miles over the limit and weaving in and out of traffic the moral calculus is the same -- it's not the end of the world if one person is doing, but if everyone is doing it, it's a madhouse.

Generally, I try to stay away from doing something that I would be kind of bugged if everyone did it.

That said, it's not some massive affront. It's like a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, but it's not a 0.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It was into the woods along a road where you wouldn't have foot traffic. If every 10th car did it and they all had my C-minus throwing arm, we'd be ok.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:03 am It was into the woods along a road where you wouldn't have foot traffic. If every 10th car did it and they all had my C-minus throwing arm, we'd be ok.
That still doesn't make it right to just throw shit out of your car to the side of the road.

ETA: Unless it's some emergency or something weird 99th percentile issue. Keeping a banana peel in your car for another 20 minutes and then throwing it into an actual garbage can is not some kind of significant hardship.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What if it was dirt? The argument is that fruit is better decomposing in the woods than in a garbage bag, not that there's hardship in carrying it in the car.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 am What if it was dirt? The argument is that fruit is better decomposing in the woods than in a garbage bag, not that there's hardship in carrying it in the car.
And I get that. My argument is that if everyone driving by there threw out their compostable materials in the same spot, it would be hugely gross. If you want to make a better argument, they should be composting at work or home or wherever he was heading to at the time. I don't think the argument is that ljam is so serious about composting that he would rather throw compostable materials out the window than put it in a garbage can.