Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by duff »

Sorry to hear about your friend. My wife is going through something similar with her college roommate. We don't know the exact diagnosis at this point, but when they went in to take out the cancer there was more than expected. The surgery was over four hours and they had to cut into her bladder to remove part of the tumor, as it was larger than expected. Three boys under the age of 12. It just sucks. Hopefully radiation will clear everything up.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit guys.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sorry, fellas.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 pm Nah man sorry to hear that but you’re right. It’s good to remember we’re all going to die. It’s the one part of the Hagakure I remember word for word to this day:

“The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on one’s inevitable death should be performed daily.”

If you thinking about dying every day you won’t fail to live.
That's a really interesting philosophy. I kind of went the opposite way, but this makes more sense. When I was really young, I kind of processed that we all die, and moved past it without fearing the inevitable, because it pointless to worry about something that is inevitable. I packaged that up, pushed it out, and moved on. That leaves almost an apathy towards life now that I think about it. Combining the lack of fear with the live life to the fullest is the way to go. You just need to make sure the thinking about dying every day doesn't bring a dread or fear. Thanks, Samurai philosophers!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Sorry to hear, guys.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks guys.

You know, I get the samurai philosophy as stated above, but - for me at least - seeing contemporaries get sick and die (thankfully not many) really hits home.

You know, hospitals are for grand parents, uncles, parents, not for guys you partied with or hung out with.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Know what your talking about, my 16 yr old nephew has been diagnosed with leukemia and is undergoing chemo now.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry to hear it Pruitt. That's awful.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I'm sorry to hear as well. I would guess there are more than a few of us that have gone through similar scenarios.

When I was in college, I asked my grandparents what the worst thing about getting old was. Both sets responded with the same things which I thought was interesting...they all said "all of your friends start dying". For some reason, that really stuck with me and helped me process through my own mortality.

fwiw, they technically answered with two things...the second one was "some people are condescending" or something to that effect. That's also I why treat an 80 year old the same as I treat someone my own age (depending on physical and mental faculties, of course).
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sucks, pruitt and baoloney. Hope things work out as well as possible in each situation.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Baloney wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:37 am Know what your talking about, my 16 yr old nephew has been diagnosed with leukemia and is undergoing chemo now.
Brutal.

I present this as consolation and to give hope - my niece was diagnosed with leukemia when she was 2. I choke up thinking about what she went through - and what all the kids and parents I met in that hospital went through.

Today she is 16 and is the goalie on the school hockey team. A smart, strong healthy smartass of a girl.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is turning into the dogs thread. Sorry, everyone.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

There's a reason I use the sig line I use. I remember Warren Zevon saying it on his last Letterman appearance.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Anyway, after months and months and months of ignoring pain and treating it with weed, it turns out that he's riddled with cancer. Maybe from the pancreas or colon, tests aren't definitive.

Goddamnit, this comment got into my head. I've been ignoring a severe shooting pain in my arm for 4 or 5 months, and 3 weeks of constant knee pain finally pushed me to make an appointment for both. I did some research on the symptoms, and it sounded exactly like two different types of connective tissue issues. Then I realized I've been having plantar's fasciitis in both heels, and wondered if there is something causing all these separate connective tissue issues. I had a dream that the doctor came back saying I had leukemia, which spread to knees and arm. The dull throb in my knee kept me awake making me realize I had cancer.

The weird thing is, I went to the doctor yesterday, and first thing he says is, "well, it's not cancer."
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 pm Guy I've known since Junior High - two grades older than me, so not close or anything - but who later in life I met because he's married to my wife's best friend (and they are very close), so I see a lot of him.

Good guy, he and his wife don't have kids, so always close with mine.

Anyway, after months and months and months of ignoring pain and treating it with weed, it turns out that he's riddled with cancer. Maybe from the pancreas or colon, tests aren't definitive.

But he'll be gone within 6 weeks - and it may be a lot sooner. I don;t know if there's a point to this post, maybe that when you hit middle age, get every test you can? Don't skip your annual physical?

Just fucking grim. His mother-in-law who he adored just died three months ago. And he took his wife to Spain to just get away after mourning ended. Christ, he and his wife were sightseeing in San Sebastien 5 weeks ago.

I don't know. When I was younger and heard the cliches about embracing every day, I'd roll my eyes. But you get older, and you lose loved ones and things like this happen to contemporaries and you realize that you have to.

Sorry for the bummer posting, just had to put it down.
Damn. Sorry, man.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks. It's really bad now.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sorry to hear it Pruitt. Anything the family (his or yours) needs?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Thanks.

No, it's fine. He's being well taken care of. It's just shocking you know, that when the end approaches, it can come really fast.

Like I said, no kids, and his wife spent the last few years taking care of her parents both of whom passed away in the last three years (her mother just a couple of months ago). So she was in bad shape to start with and this is a bolt from the blue.

Financially, she'll be more than fine, but hopefully she's strong enough to find something to live for. My wife is her best friend and only confidant. It's going to be brutal around here.

Man, being an adult sucks at times.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So strange to become connected with a swamper on Instagram and see that someone I randomly follow also follows him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Is there an equivalent for Morganna the Kissing Bandit in today's sports world or is that just because the 80s had different sensibilities?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Khloe Kardashian hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I was gonna go Joe Namath.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I was going to go with Toni Braxton, but I can't beat either of those.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Can you imagine how hard a band like Motley Crüe could rock the hell out of Red-Eyed & Blue > I Got You?

Particularly the end of REB before the segue:

Alcohol and cotton balls [Vince Neal points the mic to the crowd to juice the next verse]
And some drugs we can't afford on the way

When we came here today
We all felt something true
Now I'm red-eyed and blue

and then Tommy Lee's drum kit starts to spin as Neal belts out "Got you and it's all I need!" multiple times.

All the way back in the 70s. You were my little TV queen.

That song was made for the Crüe.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Never would have thought those guys would cover Wilco.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This should be National Chinese Food Day
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ha!
[+] spoiler
My usual place is more May 10th.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:29 pm Ha!
[+] spoiler
Our place is always a firm "10 minutes".

(Or more accurately -- and racist -- "ready in one ten minute.")
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 pm Never would have thought those guys would cover Wilco.
Oh, they never would. But I'd spent this past Saturday at an Oktoberfest and also the Fells Point Fun Festival. Then I closed it out watching the Astros and Red Sox (and I drank a growler of a New England IP (Heavy Seas & Manor Hill collaboration)..and it sure as hell made sense to me at the time.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

[+] spoiler
Mine is always 15-20 at best, more often 20-25. And of course, never ready by then.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:22 pm
[+] spoiler
Mine is always 15-20 at best, more often 20-25. And of course, never ready by then.
Yeah, I've just about had it with our place because they always say 20 and it is always 10 more.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:53 pm Guy I've known since Junior High - two grades older than me, so not close or anything - but who later in life I met because he's married to my wife's best friend (and they are very close), so I see a lot of him.

But he'll be gone within 6 weeks - and it may be a lot sooner. I don;t know if there's a point to this post, maybe that when you hit middle age, get every test you can? Don't skip your annual physical?

Just fucking grim. His mother-in-law who he adored just died three months ago. And he took his wife to Spain to just get away after mourning ended. Christ, he and his wife were sightseeing in San Sebastien 5 weeks ago.

I don't know. When I was younger and heard the cliches about embracing every day, I'd roll my eyes. But you get older, and you lose loved ones and things like this happen to contemporaries and you realize that you have to.

Hate to update this, but he passed away.

Unfuckingbelievable.

You know guys, keep seeing your doctors. If something hurts, don;t ignore it. I hate the cliches, but embrace the good parts of life.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sorry about your friend, Frank. Hope you were able to spend some time with him and help him however you could in his final weeks.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Yes. Condolences, Pruitt.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Hate to update this, but he passed away.

Unfuckingbelievable.

You know guys, keep seeing your doctors. If something hurts, don;t ignore it. I hate the cliches, but embrace the good parts of life.
Sorry, Pruitt. That sucks. As the wise man said, ya got to Enjoy Every Sandwich. Your last sentence is so true.

Speaking of not ignoring things, yesterday afternoon I went to our restroom to take a piss and there was visible blood included in my urine stream. No pain though. Weird. So, I called my wife over to check out the toilet and she about freaked out. She insisted I go to the Emergency Room at the local hospital right away. After about three hours and one piss test later there, they confirmed that I was still pissing blood (not a surprise, but not as much blood anymore). Good news is that they told me there is no infection. So, I'm scheduled to see a urologist next week to check out my plumbing. Additional good news is that my urine looks normal to me today.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sorry, Pruitt.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That really sucks, Pruitt. Will be thinking of you and yours during this rough time.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If you want 43 things to happen during a particular day, schedule your car to be serviced
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shit, Pruitt. I'm sorry.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 am Shit, Pruitt. I'm sorry.
Thanks.

It's been a rough, rough few weeks.