Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The GF is a sonographer at a high risk obstetric clinic. She texted me this morning that she was heading in to do a scan on a patient who had a BMI of 63 and weighed 430 lbs.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

He chonk.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Man, that’s going to be one big-ass baby.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hard to ignore the obvious implication here.

I feel nauseous just thinking about it.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:14 pm Hard to ignore the obvious implication here.

I feel nauseous just thinking about it.
I have often had that same thought when she tells me about some of the more 'large' women that she has to scan. Because they deal with high-risk pregnancies, it's a fairly common thing.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Remembering things from my days as an expectant father, please tell me it wasn’t an internal sonogram.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

No bigger non-troversy right now than OCPs being the utility uniform of the Space Force.

Considering the day-to-day utility uniform of the Army is OCPs with black colored font, the utility uniform of the Air Force is OCPs with spice brown colored font, it only makes sense that you'd change the font color for the Space Force utilizing...the same uniform. It's still just a bunch of Air Force personnel in Air Force Space Command until much later.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Quick question: I'm working on a user interface, and one of the items is showing that a bottle has enough fluid in it to run a selected procedure. What's a word to describe that? All I can come up with is 'Valid', but it doesn't seem right. Any others?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:37 pm Quick question: I'm working on a user interface, and one of the items is showing that a bottle has enough fluid in it to run a selected procedure. What's a word to describe that? All I can come up with is 'Valid', but it doesn't seem right. Any others?
Ready? Primed? Executable?

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Sufficient?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Go Time
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

If it's being used in a checklist, maybe something like "Quantity OK?" Or just "Quantity"?

If it's for a warning indicator for insufficient quantity, then maybe the opposite?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I went with 'Sufficient Volume' as the table header and 'Ok' as the indicator...
validSelectionCapture.PNG
validSelectionCapture.PNG (180.91 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Not sure you even need "sufficient" in there since the "OK" validates it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 pm Not sure you even need "sufficient" in there since the "OK" validates it.
Otherwise "Volume" would appear in two different columns though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Let's edit and go with JACKED

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:48 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 pm Not sure you even need "sufficient" in there since the "OK" validates it.
Otherwise "Volume" would appear in two different columns though.
Err, yup.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It still annoys me to this day that Mario and Luigi's last name is "Mario." Mario Mario and Luigi Mario. It's so fucking dumb.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

They were named already before being adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Steve Mario.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bfj wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:44 am They were named already before being adopted by Mr. and Mrs. Steve Mario.
Heh.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just back from a funeral - 90 year old father of a good friend - and the Priest kept singing prayers in English.

It occurred to me that when you actually know the words that are being sung/prayed, they really are redundant and banal. They really should be in Latin or something more mysterious.

Same thing goes or Jewish prayers - when you really don;t know what is being said, there's a grandeur and a mystery to them. When it's done in English you get the feeling that everything that needs to be said could be said in ten minutes.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm Just back from a funeral - 90 year old father of a good friend - and the Priest kept singing prayers in English.

It occurred to me that when you actually know the words that are being sung/prayed, they really are redundant and banal. They really should be in Latin or something more mysterious.

Same thing goes or Jewish prayers - when you really don;t know what is being said, there's a grandeur and a mystery to them. When it's done in English you get the feeling that everything that needs to be said could be said in ten minutes.
Could not agree more. And a great statement on organized religion, it's much more powerful when it's shrouded in mystery. When you learn the reason for some of the traditions, it loses it's enchantment. Or it's downright disappointing. I remember reading The Jewish Book of Why, and so many symbolic acts are based on Middle Aged superstitions. As a kid, I was traumatized by shoveling dirt and rocks on my grandmothers grave. Years later, reading that it started as a superstition to prevent the deceased's ghost from haunting you, I was angry. My father later explained that we do it as a sign of respect, because you don't want some random cemetery employee covering the grave, and I am down with that, and always make sure to keep shoveling until the coffin is covered. Whether it's the real reason for the act or not, that gave it meaning to me, and it always means a lot to me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Huh. Just occurred to me... I've only actually been to two burials (more services than that), and both were Jewish, so we did the whole 2 scoops and then one upside down one, and then the rocks.

I'm not going into the ground, but I found the group doing the shoveling to be very moving.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:53 pm
Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm Just back from a funeral - 90 year old father of a good friend - and the Priest kept singing prayers in English.

Could not agree more. And a great statement on organized religion, it's much more powerful when it's shrouded in mystery. When you learn the reason for some of the traditions, it loses it's enchantment. Or it's downright disappointing. I remember reading The Jewish Book of Why, and so many symbolic acts are based on Middle Aged superstitions. As a kid, I was traumatized by shoveling dirt and rocks on my grandmothers grave. Years later, reading that it started as a superstition to prevent the deceased's ghost from haunting you, I was angry. My father later explained that we do it as a sign of respect, because you don't want some random cemetery employee covering the grave, and I am down with that, and always make sure to keep shoveling until the coffin is covered. Whether it's the real reason for the act or not, that gave it meaning to me, and it always means a lot to me.
Interesting - when I was a teenager at my grandparents' funerals, you'd put a couple of shovelfuls in as a sign of respect, and then leave the rest for the gravediggers to do as you left the cemetery.

Nowadays, you stay until the grave is filled by mourners and friends. They position it (quite nicely) as the ultimate favour you can do for a person. Filling in the grave. Ultimate favour because it's a favour that they can not repay.

Never knew about that ghost thing. Friend at the visitation last night told me that when she was a kid, she was at an open casket wake and her grandfather grabbed her hand and made her touch the deceased so that the dead person;s spirit wouldn't visit her in the future. 40 years later and she still shudders when talking about it.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:51 pm

Never knew about that ghost thing. Friend at the visitation last night told me that when she was a kid, she was at an open casket wake and her grandfather grabbed her hand and made her touch the deceased so that the dead person;s spirit wouldn't visit her in the future. 40 years later and she still shudders when talking about it.
That is fucked up!

A lot of the rituals around sitting Shiva are batshit. I've never actually sat Shiva, but went to my great Aunt's apartment while she sat Shiva after the same grandmother's funeral. According to the book, you are supposed to pour water over the threshold of the house or apartment to prevent the ghost from haunting. Apparently ghosts can't pass through a doorway if there is a puddle.

ETA: I've only been to two open casket wakes, and I didn't get up to look at either corpse. Both were fathers of friends, and I never met the guys, so it felt weird to go up. I think I would have if it was someone I knew, but the idea of an open casket is weird to me.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm A lot of the rituals around sitting Shiva are batshit. I've never actually sat Shiva, but went to my great Aunt's apartment while she sat Shiva after the same grandmother's funeral. According to the book, you are supposed to pour water over the threshold of the house or apartment to prevent the ghost from haunting. Apparently ghosts can't pass through a doorway if there is a puddle.

ETA: I've only been to two open casket wakes, and I didn't get up to look at either corpse. Both were fathers of friends, and I never met the guys, so it felt weird to go up. I think I would have if it was someone I knew, but the idea of an open casket is weird to me.
Never seen that at a shiva - and I've been to a whole bunch, from secular (as odd as that sounds) to ultra orthodox.

The sitting uncomfortably is nuts. Don;t see it too often, but just punitive.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Being told to push the pause button on the current work project and knowing the decision on whether or not it will completely go away has led to a pleasantly surprising mental refreshment day.

I don't think I can be lucky enough that the plug will get pulled.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 am Being told to push the pause button on the current work project and knowing the decision on whether or not it will completely go away has led to a pleasantly surprising mental refreshment day.

I have some work stress I wouldn't mind offloading in case you want to help your tag team partner out.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:33 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm A lot of the rituals around sitting Shiva are batshit. I've never actually sat Shiva, but went to my great Aunt's apartment while she sat Shiva after the same grandmother's funeral. According to the book, you are supposed to pour water over the threshold of the house or apartment to prevent the ghost from haunting. Apparently ghosts can't pass through a doorway if there is a puddle.

Never seen that at a shiva - and I've been to a whole bunch, from secular (as odd as that sounds) to ultra orthodox.

The sitting uncomfortably is nuts. Don;t see it too often, but just punitive.
Never heard that one. There is water at the door of a shiva house to wash your hands upon returning from a cemetery. Never heard it as a ghost thing. Just as a separating from the burial process.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:06 pm the idea of an open casket is weird to me.
I have told my parents and GF that if something happens to me, and they have an open casket funeral, I'm coming back in my next life as a squirrel that runs up their pants leg.

I think they got the message.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Sabo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:38 am Being told to push the pause button on the current work project and knowing the decision on whether or not it will completely go away has led to a pleasantly surprising mental refreshment day.

I have some work stress I wouldn't mind offloading in case you want to help your tag team partner out.
Don't worry. After a nice, peaceful several hours, there were texts at 3pm that got me worked up over things I already knew.

And even though all signs of previous history says they will pull the plug, there is no logic.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

At what point do you start wondering if a guy with two teen girls at a hockey game is a father-daughter thing or a sex trafficking thing?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When he accepts your payment?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 pm At what point do you start wondering if a guy with two teen girls at a hockey game is a father-daughter thing or a sex trafficking thing?
You’re such a fucking weirdo anymore.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Roger Bennett was at the Bolts game tonight. So was I, with my biggest MiB loving friend. We didn't find out until after we'd left.

Also, pretty sure I ran into Julian Brisebois and I think I saw Lou Lamoriello as well.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It was about a legitimate 33 percent real question.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Another (different) random thought is that it sucks to be one of the only West Coast Swampers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:00 am It was about a legitimate 33 percent real question.
In Vegas, I'd raise that to 66%.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Every year there's always the push to make the Monday after the Super Bowl an off day or a relaxed work day.

Why not just move President's Day up two weeks and call it good? This whole holiday was combining Washington and Lincoln's birthdays anyway.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TIL Motown still has such an outsized influence on American culture that Detroit is the birthplace of more Rock and Roll Hall of Fame members than any other city (even New York, London or LA)