Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by brian »

Yeah, I'm not taking sides, but I interpreted it same as rass did.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Is having to walk your bike when using a crosswalk still a thing?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I took it as criticizing anyone who wants to listen to music at the beach instead of just wanting to go hear nature, especially since he never mentions volume, only the presence of music itself. Does he get mad at families who bring loud children? What if people are having fun and are louder than the waves and birds and wind. Nah, this is just a pussy who was close to people whose music was too loud and he didn't have the balls to ask them to turn it down, so he whined about it on social media.

If I ever go to the beach where this asshole lives, i'm going to sit right next to him and blast a Spotify playlist full of wave, bird and wind sounds.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:54 pm So I had jury duty Friday, and within the first thirty or so minutes, my number was called within a range of numbers to meet out in the lobby. We then were marched over to the other building in the courthouse complex, and we were seated in a courtroom that held all 150 or so of us in the gallery.

In the well were the states' attorneys, the public defender and her client. The judge entered the room and we all rose cuz you know, that's what you do.

He then talked about jury duty and its responsibilities, and proceeded to ask that we stand and state our juror ID# if we meet any of the following qualifications:

1) Have you ever been convicted of a crime where the punishment could have been 6 months in jail? (Maybe 8 people stood)
2) Have you served jury duty here in Baltimore City or elsewhere within the past 12 months? (One person)
3) The following trial will take approximately 7-9 days to complete. Are there any obstacles in your immediate future that render you serving as a juror impossible? (Probably 30 people stood, myself included)
4) The defendant is charged with child abuse and murder. Do you have any significant objections or feelings towards child abuse that would prevent you from being impartial during this trial? (I'm guessing 98% of the room stood).

I didn't get selected for this trial, and I think it was because I told the judge the Fall Semester of school starts up for me Monday, and I'd likely have to withdraw from classes in order to give the trial my undivided attention, which, I then told him, I would probably resent the trial itself which would probably make me a distracted juror anyway.
Maryland jury selection and voir dire is so weird.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 pm I took it as criticizing anyone who wants to listen to music at the beach instead of just wanting to go hear nature, especially since he never mentions volume, only the presence of music itself. Does he get mad at families who bring loud children? What if people are having fun and are louder than the waves and birds and wind. Nah, this is just a pussy who was close to people whose music was too loud and he didn't have the balls to ask them to turn it down, so he whined about it on social media.

If I ever go to the beach where this asshole lives, i'm going to sit right next to him and blast a Spotify playlist full of wave, bird and wind sounds.
You don't see a difference between the sounds of kids playing at the beach and someone cranking music?
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Shirley wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:27 pmYou don't see a difference between the sounds of ...ds ...laying at the beach and someone cranking ...?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:27 pm
Giff wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:31 pm I took it as criticizing anyone who wants to listen to music at the beach instead of just wanting to go hear nature, especially since he never mentions volume, only the presence of music itself. Does he get mad at families who bring loud children? What if people are having fun and are louder than the waves and birds and wind. Nah, this is just a pussy who was close to people whose music was too loud and he didn't have the balls to ask them to turn it down, so he whined about it on social media.

You don't see a difference between the sounds of kids playing at the beach and someone cranking music?
I think we need to know the volume here before I can make a ruling. Playing music at a reasonable volume on the beach is fine. Cranking something as loud as possible so that it can be heard two miles in any direction is another.

Also people who play videos/music/media on their phones in public in almost every possible setting without headphones should be executed. If they do it on a train/plane/bus, they should be thrown out while it is in motion.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

"FUCK YEAH LET'S READ SOME FUCKIN BOOKS! WHOOOO! ANY OF YOU PUSSIES GOT A FUCKIN PROBLEM?!?!"
—Giff at the library
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[starts to blast Pete Yorn’s Nightcrawler out of his phone speaker]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I would never go to. Public beach and expect to be able to just listen to the waves. If you want that you need to pay for the upgrades
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:34 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:54 pm So I had jury duty Friday, and within the first thirty or so minutes, my number was called within a range of numbers to meet out in the lobby. We then were marched over to the other building in the courthouse complex, and we were seated in a courtroom that held all 150 or so of us in the gallery.

In the well were the states' attorneys, the public defender and her client. The judge entered the room and we all rose cuz you know, that's what you do.

He then talked about jury duty and its responsibilities, and proceeded to ask that we stand and state our juror ID# if we meet any of the following qualifications:

1) Have you ever been convicted of a crime where the punishment could have been 6 months in jail? (Maybe 8 people stood)
2) Have you served jury duty here in Baltimore City or elsewhere within the past 12 months? (One person)
3) The following trial will take approximately 7-9 days to complete. Are there any obstacles in your immediate future that render you serving as a juror impossible? (Probably 30 people stood, myself included)
4) The defendant is charged with child abuse and murder. Do you have any significant objections or feelings towards child abuse that would prevent you from being impartial during this trial? (I'm guessing 98% of the room stood).

I didn't get selected for this trial, and I think it was because I told the judge the Fall Semester of school starts up for me Monday, and I'd likely have to withdraw from classes in order to give the trial my undivided attention, which, I then told him, I would probably resent the trial itself which would probably make me a distracted juror anyway.
That they excused me so that I could attend college the following week, or that they're announcing the severity of the crime to the panel?

During the panel I learned his name. I didn't google him until that night (per judge's orders). This guy killed his own son in 2012, and got out 3 years later. Apparently he just turned down a 40 year plea offer last week.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I got picked for federal duty and it was while I was taking classes so they excused me for all but summers and Christmas break. Took me 2.5 years to finish my tour.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

A_B wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 pm I got picked for federal duty and it was while I was taking classes so they excused me for all but summers and Christmas break. Took me 2.5 years to finish my tour.
Thank you for your service
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 pm I got picked for federal duty and it was while I was taking classes so they excused me for all but summers and Christmas break. Took me 2.5 years to finish my tour.
Thank you for your service
You are welcome. We put some bad people away.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:46 pm

That they excused me so that I could attend college the following week, or that they're announcing the severing of the crime to the panel?

During the panel I learned his name. I didn't google him until that night (per judge's orders). This guy killed his own son in 2012, and got out 3 years later. Apparently he just turned down a 40 year plea offer last week.
In Tennessee, the voir dire is done by the attorneys, not the bench. And the questions are more helpful than "any of youse got a problem with child abuse and murder" in terms of sorting out the pool. Maryland's approach has always seemed odd to me from the jump when I moved here. Then again, in big trials in Tennessee, jury selection can take days and days and here it is done quickly, so there's that.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:59 am
EnochRoot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:46 pm

That they excused me so that I could attend college the following week, or that they're announcing the severity of the crime to the panel?

In Tennessee, the voir dire is done by the attorneys, not the bench. And the questions are more helpful than "any of youse got a problem with child abuse and murder" in terms of sorting out the pool. Maryland's approach has always seemed odd to me from the jump when I moved here. Then again, in big trials in Tennessee, jury selection can take days and days and here it is done quickly, so there's that.
Once the judge filtered out maybe 100 of us, and then they added another 20 or so jurors brought in after the judge left to screen another batch in an adjacent courtroom, the lawyers then got down to their version of liar’s poker to fill out the jury box. At least it seemed like it was liars poker - I saw a few mover that clearly were designed to get the defense to use their “thank you for your service, but kindly get the hell out of the box” cards, and vice versa.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 pm "FUCK YEAH LET'S READ SOME FUCKIN BOOKS! WHOOOO! ANY OF YOU PUSSIES GOT A FUCKIN PROBLEM?!?!"
—Giff at the library
Right, because everyone knows when you go to the beach, you're supposed to whisper.

Do your beaches have "no talking" signs? That's weird.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Christ people.

Assholes who blare music at the beach are dicks. People who complain about general noise at a public beach are dicks. Why is there a need to segment this into a thing?

Know your place. If you're on Waikiki, blast some tunes and play some volleyball. If you're hiking on a seaside cliff and walk down to the ocean, shut the fuck up. This isn't rocket surgery.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The kids park down the street also doesn't have a "no talking" sign but also seems like a shithead place to play Sublime albums.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

All I'm arguing is that one is not scared to be lost in their thoughts because they wanted to listen to music at the beach instead of meditate. Which is what the Tweet actually said. Had it said "you shouldn't be playing Sublime at a kids park", I would've scrolled right on.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

"any of youse got a problem with child abuse and murder" in terms of sorting out the pool.
I would think answering no to that question should get a juror struck...
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, did the kid hit and/or murder you first?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am

"any of youse got a problem with child abuse and murder" in terms of sorting out the pool.
I mean, yeah. It's just such a fucked up question with no sorting utility.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:48 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am

I mean, yeah. It's just such a fucked up question with no sorting utility.
Yeah. We were whispering about that in the gallery. “What’s this telling you? “People who don’t stand are out, where all the other questions were, if you stood, maybe you’re out?”
Noli Timere Messorem
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:15 am All I'm arguing is that one is not scared to be lost in their thoughts because they wanted to listen to music at the beach instead of meditate. Which is what the Tweet actually said. Had it said "you shouldn't be playing Sublime at a kids park", I would've scrolled right on.
First off, I really didn't mean to pick on you. Hopefully you realize that.

That being said, I do think it's telling that you read that tweet as "I WANT TO HEAR NATURE" and not "I DON'T WANT TO HEAR SOMEONE ELSE'S MUSIC". I think there's a difference, and I definitely read it as the latter.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote:Jesus fuck giff I’d ask if you’ve ever been more wrong, but want to first make sure you really think it’s fine to just set up camp next to someone else and start blasting music?
rass wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 am First off, I really didn't mean to pick on you. Hopefully you realize that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 am
rass wrote:Jesus fuck giff I’d ask if you’ve ever been more wrong, but want to first make sure you really think it’s fine to just set up camp next to someone else and start blasting music?
rass wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 am First off, I really didn't mean to pick on you. Hopefully you realize that.
Third off, you can fuck off.

I used "fuck" in that original post because he did in his tweet, and tried to be over the top enough to make clear that my intentions were benign.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm not OK.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:23 pmI'm not OK.
You can watch me fuck your wife it makes you feel better...

Like Rass said, I read it completely differently, then went back and saw it the way you did, like that picture that switches from an old lady to a young woman. All hinged on that last line.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

She prefers them uncut.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:36 pm She prefers them uncut.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Seriously, the jokes are typically somewhat humorous, but at least put a little thought into it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

THANK YOU FOR BRINGING YOUR THREESOME JOKES TO THE SWAMP I DIDN'T WANT TO READ THE RESIGNED TRUMP OUTRAGE AND NUANCED 2020 CONJECTURE AND SCORES I WANTED TO READ THE BLATANT CUCK JOKE YOU MADE AT MY EXPENSE IN THE SWAMP BECAUSE YOU HATE TO NOT SWING (NO PUN INTENDED) AT EVEN THE LOWEST HANGING FRUIT THANK YOU
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:48 pm Seriously, the jokes are typically somewhat humorous, but at least put a little thought into it.
Just going for the sledgehammer to the low fruit approach. Worked for Gallagher!
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Just reached blindly into a bag of Jolly Ranchers and came up with three green ones, and I think I may have just exhausted any chance I'll get a slot machine or lottery jackpot in my lifetime.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think we discussed this previously, but do other parents do this? There were various malapropisms our daughter would say when she was young that my wife and I thought were cute. So we sort of unconsciously adopted them into our speech. But it can be embarrassing when you say it in front of people who aren’t in on the joke. Last weekend my wife referred to doing something different as a “change of paste”. Our (childless) friend said, “um...do you mean ’change of pace’?” We just chuckled as she said, ”oh... yeah.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Absolutely. First two coming to mind are calling people “brothe” instead of bro because they thought that was the flipside of “sis” and singing “I don’t care and I don’t care” after a song we heard Q singing to herself when she was like 3.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

For sure - my son Aaron gets called "Airwin" all the time because that's how my daughter used to call him when she was a wee one.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

My family still says “it’s a clowe” anytime someone opens a garment on Christmas. Stemming from when I was like 3 years old and tried to un-plural “clothes”. So if one gets an outfit they got clothes but if someone opens a sweatshirt everyone in unison: “IT’S A CLOWE!”

That joke is 29 years old.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:05 pm My family still says “it’s a clowe” anytime someone opens a garment on Christmas. Stemming from when I was like 3 years old and tried to un-plural “clothes”. So if one gets an outfit they got clothes but if someone opens a sweatshirt everyone in unison: “IT’S A CLOWE!”

That joke is 29 years old.
Those are the best jokes.