Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Square Rob »

As per the asking for waiters to help decide on an order, the political gabfest had some interesting game theory this week. Ask them to rate a plate 1-10, but they can't use 7. 7 is the easy out, and anything 6 is essentially 1.

I don't mind asking the staff what they like, or order themselves. My wife though, will gladly send food back if it's not cooked the way she likes which MORTIFIES me. I've explained to her the danger with that and she doesn't care.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote:Maybe the best restaurant review, ever. Seriously, if you live here and haven’t been (locations in Roland Park, Annapolis and downtown), your missing out. If you are coming to town anytime soon, have brunch here.

A friend from high school is the daughter-in-law.of the owner of Miss. Shirley's. She now run most of the business operations for the restaurant.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Square Rob wrote:Ask them to rate a plate 1-10, but they can't use 7. 7 is the easy out, and anything 6 is essentially 1.

Ask them to spit in your food but they can't use spit.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I feel the whole "dilly dilly" thing is somehow explained by a "Trading Places" type bet between two advertising people at AB InBev, one of whom bet that he could make everyone in the country start saying "dilly dilly" all the damn time.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Mulligan
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Mulligan »

brian wrote:I feel the whole "dilly dilly" thing is somehow explained by a "Trading Places" type bet between two advertising people at AB InBev, one of whom bet that he could make everyone in the country start saying "dilly dilly" all the damn time.

https://youtu.be/NZkKsGtrW88
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Anybody else here play HQ Trivia? I signed up a couple days ago. Kind of fun.

For those wondering - it’s a free, live app-based trivia game you play on your phone (iPhone right now, not sure if they’ve rolled out an Android version yet). It’s hosted by a human, so it sort of feels like you are on Jeopardy or something. If you’re intrigued, pm me your cell # and I can “invite” you. (Or just download the app yourself.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote:Anybody else here play HQ Trivia? I signed up a couple days ago. Kind of fun.

For those wondering - it’s a free, live app-based trivia game you play on your phone (iPhone right now, not sure if they’ve rolled out an Android version yet). It’s hosted by a human, so it sort of feels like you are on Jeopardy or something. If you’re intrigued, pm me your cell # and I can “invite” you. (Or just download the app yourself.)

Nothing for Android yet but their is an Android app that is similar called the Q.
http://www.businessinsider.com/hq-trivi ... -q-2017-12
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nothing really shows the faults of adults quite like an event for children.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

no idea where else to put this

About 40 minutes ago I walked over to my parents' house to help them copy files to a hard drive -- my dad just had another knee replacement Monday and they wanted to copy the medical records.

Anyway, there's a random guy (apparently a relative of some sort) next door to them blowing the leaves from the neighbor's yard into my parents' yard. My dad had his yard perfectly pristine before his knee surgery, so this is very, very noticeable.

Scene: My parents have one medium-sized tree in their front yard and there are two very large pin oak trees across the street to the north. Those trees are the bane of my dad's existence because the north wind blows their leaves into his front yard and, obviously, the neighbor's.

As I walk up the front steps to my parents, the guy calls me over to him. I was thinking he was going to tell me he was going to mow the leaves up and he'd take care of it. Nope, instead it's how what he's doing could be perceived as rude but because we have this "fucking tree" in the front yard that the leaves are our responsibility and he's just giving them back to us.

Incredibly confused at this point, I (calmly) said "Wait one second. I don't live here, my dad has done leaves a bunch of times and he's sitting upstairs five days post knee replacement surgery."

The guy then proceeds to tell me I shouldn't be an asshole and be a good son and help my father with the yard work. Even more perplexed at this point, I disagreed with what he was doing and started to walk to my parents' front door.

At that point, he then proceeds to call me an asshole again and somehow our discussion is my fault. I got mad at that point and stopped and said "You've called me an asshole twice ... how am I the asshole here?" He then suggested we "start over" and I declined and kept walking. He then called me a fa**** and that's when I told him to fuck off. I was then called a fa**** again. And by that time, the guy who actually lives there out to calm the dude down.

15 minutes later, as I'm downstairs on the computer, he comes over to the door to justify to my mom what he's doing and how I instigated the situation and he was trying to be nice and calm about it. My mom, of course, was having absolutely none of it. (At that point, my frustration with him when I came upstairs was not helping the situation). Anyway, he kept trying to plead his case to her for a good 10 minutes until she finally had enough after trying to explain to him where the majority of the leaves come from.

Absolutely bizarre. Though I can't help but laugh at this point because he blew most of the leaves into the street ... which means the north wind will blow them right back into the yard again tonight when the cold front comes through.

(ETA: I also think this all happened because he freaked out when he realized I saw what he was doing. I think he was planning on someone not noticing until it was too late.)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Were you being condescending?

Seriously, though, that's borderline psychopathic behavior that might warrant some further precautions.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Um, was he from Bowling Green, Kentucky?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

tennbengal wrote:Um, was he from Bowling Green, Kentucky?

I seriously did start thinking of Rand Paul as soon as I got inside. I was so mad, if only because I was being protective of my parents and all the hard work my dad did to get the yard done for the winter before he was laid up.

Johnny Carwash wrote:Were you being condescending?

Seriously, though, that's borderline psychopathic behavior that might warrant some further precautions.

I made sure to lock the storm door my mom was talking through to him after I came upstairs. I'm going to have a nice conversation with the dude who lives there next time I see him while I'm walking the dogs and politely remind him how aware he is of all the yard work my dad does. (And while they aren't the most courteous of neighbors, there's never been a conflict and my dad talks to them quite often, so it was a bizarre stand this random dude was taking)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Emphatically thanking him for returning your parents' leaves would have been a fun approach too. "My dad has been stuck inside because of knee replacement surgery but he's going to be so happy someone brought his leaves back!"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote:Anybody else here play HQ Trivia? I signed up a couple days ago. Kind of fun.

Just won $35.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I got pulled over in Tucson because, as I proceeded through an intersection turning left, it turned red. The last I was able to see the stoplight, it was yellow. I figured I was driving fast enough to be "committed to the intersection," but no.

The motorcycle cop was on my ass with lights flashing instantly before I was through it. I forgot that Arizona has this additional solid line that's well in front of the crosswalk to designate where the intersection actually begins.

If you aren't passed that line and the light turns red, it's "running a red light." Anyhoo, I think my New Mexico plates probably didn't help my situation in getting pulled over, but perhaps my military service did. I was let off with a warning.

Quote the motorcycle cop, "We're out here because people are constantly proceeding through without concern for others. It's a $600 ticket, but I'll let you go with a warning. You gotta stop at yellow lights. Merry Christmas and drive safe."

Like, holy shit. What's the reason for that level of a fine if not to needlessly steal money from people under the guise of "safety"? That's nuts. Also having lived in ABQ going on two years and literally seeing three people make a left turn after a red light at nearly every red light, I can't imagine how much money that city would make if they implemented a fine like that.

(Also, a ticket this close to my deployment would fucking suck. I'd want to fight that shit, but I'd probably be forced to pay it. Thankfully, I avoided it.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

My wife got out of a ticket once because her maiden name was the same name as the cop, and she'd been too lazy to change her license.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A $600 ticket?

That's nasty.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote:My wife got out of a ticket once because her maiden name was the same name as the cop, and she'd been too lazy to change her license.

Gullible much?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I think that if you throw a couple bucks at him, Brett Favre will endorse any product made.

As a gag present, my brother gave me a cheap nose-hair trimmer. It has Brett Favre's face plastered right on the cheap packaging. The thing is like a toy. Then, I saw a commercial with Brett Favre and Jerry Rice playing touch football with some average joes, while wearing what look like gaudy copper-infused compression weightlifting belts. Very cheesy. And the commercial had all the production values of a late-night local UHF tv station. Then, I saw yet another Brett Favre commercial, this time hawking a razor that supposedly will give you an entire year's worth of shaves for only $19.99! Hmm... color me skeptical. How does Brett find such craptastic products to endorse?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote:I think that if you throw a couple bucks at him, Brett Favre will endorse any product made.

As a gag present, my brother gave me a cheap nose-hair trimmer. It has Brett Favre's face plastered right on the cheap packaging. The thing is like a toy. Then, I saw a commercial with Brett Favre and Jerry Rice playing touch football with some average joes, while wearing what look like gaudy copper-infused compression weightlifting belts. Very cheesy. And the commercial had all the production values of a late-night local UHF tv station. Then, I saw yet another Brett Favre commercial, this time hawking a razor that supposedly will give you an entire year's worth of shaves for only $19.99! Hmm... color me skeptical. How does Brett find such craptastic products to endorse?

I mean, it’s tough to fault the guy for padding his kids’ bank accounts..At some point, he took some bad advice to hawk sub-prime products: cuz as soon as you’re willing to hawk one, the others are sure to line up to ask for his face / voice.

What was the only legit product he’s sold? Wrangler? I mean, I think that worked for his image, right?
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:I got pulled over in Tucson because, as I proceeded through an intersection turning left, it turned red. The last I was able to see the stoplight, it was yellow. I figured I was driving fast enough to be "committed to the intersection," but no.

The motorcycle cop was on my ass with lights flashing instantly before I was through it. I forgot that Arizona has this additional solid line that's well in front of the crosswalk to designate where the intersection actually begins.

If you aren't passed that line and the light turns red, it's "running a red light." Anyhoo, I think my New Mexico plates probably didn't help my situation in getting pulled over, but perhaps my military service did. I was let off with a warning.

Quote the motorcycle cop, "We're out here because people are constantly proceeding through without concern for others. It's a $600 ticket, but I'll let you go with a warning. You gotta stop at yellow lights. Merry Christmas and drive safe."

Like, holy shit. What's the reason for that level of a fine if not to needlessly steal money from people under the guise of "safety"? That's nuts. Also having lived in ABQ going on two years and literally seeing three people make a left turn after a red light at nearly every red light, I can't imagine how much money that city would make if they implemented a fine like that.

(Also, a ticket this close to my deployment would fucking suck. I'd want to fight that shit, but I'd probably be forced to pay it. Thankfully, I avoided it.)

I don't think it's a $600 ticket. He's probably just trying to make you wary of doing that.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Been quite a 24 hours...I'm in Colorado Springs, with my daughters, visiting my folks during the "Holiday Taint" (shoutout to Doug Benson).

Last night around 10:30, my Dad tells my Mom "Call 911". Paramedics arrive (I swear they were at the door before my Mom hung up the phone. The advantage of living 3 blocks from a fire station), start an IV, and take him to the Hospital.

Turns out he was having a "moderate" heart attack. He had Quad bypass surgery 11 years ago, and a stent put in back in March, and now he has 2 arteries (including the one with the stent) that are totally blocked.

Not sure what the next steps are...he's in ICU, and they are just trying to get him feeling better before making any decisions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote:Been quite a 24 hours...I'm in Colorado Springs, with my daughters, visiting my folks during the "Holiday Taint" (shoutout to Doug Benson).

Last night around 10:30, my Dad tells my Mom "Call 911". Paramedics arrive (I swear they were at the door before my Mom hung up the phone. The advantage of living 3 blocks from a fire station), start an IV, and take him to the Hospital.

Turns out he was having a "moderate" heart attack. He had Quad bypass surgery 11 years ago, and a stent put in back in March, and now he has 2 arteries (including the one with the stent) that are totally blocked.

Not sure what the next steps are...he's in ICU, and they are just trying to get him feeling better before making any decisions.

Damn! Best wishes, Dave.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:Been quite a 24 hours...I'm in Colorado Springs, with my daughters, visiting my folks during the "Holiday Taint" (shoutout to Doug Benson).

Damn! Best wishes, Dave.

Thanks....I think I'm still a bit stunned by it all. Putting my girls on the plane tomorrow, and changed my flight so I can stay for a few extra days. No way could I leave now.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sorry to hear that, Dave. Best wishes for your Dad.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Hope he’s doing better, Dave.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Best wishes, Dave.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sending good thoughts your way Dave.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good thoughts, man.
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Best wishes Dave.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Timing is key, and it’s great it was recognized and handled so quickly. I hope he feels better soon.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Thanks everyone. He was feeling a bit better this afternoon, but he got up to use the bathroom, and started having chest pains again, so now he's being pumped full of morphine while they hope things settle down.

I got my mom home and fed her dinner and got her settled and now I'm in the basement, having a nip off the bottle of Jameson's I snuck into the house this afternoon.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Dave
I'm hoping things go well for your dad and your family. Upsetting news, but he will recover.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Thanks for all the good thoughts everyone.

He's still in the hospital, but out of the ICU. He's still having a lot of pain, but the cardiologist thinks part of that may be inflammation around the heart, so they are changing up the meds.

The issue is that he's got 100% blockage in two of the grafts that were put in when he had bypass surgery 11 years ago, and as my sister (who lives here and is an ICU nurse) said, 'You can't bypass a bypass'.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thinking of you and your family, Dave.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Brought my Dad home from the hospital this afternoon, and for the most part, he's starting to feel better. Was even able to sit up at the table and have a bit of dinner.

Really worried about him and my Mom long term.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

[quote="DaveInSeattle”]
Really worried about him and my Mom long term.[/quote]

Glad you got him home, Dave.

I hear you on the worry about aging parents. I’m right there, too. I feel like I could get a dreaded phone call at any time, now.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

sancarlos wrote:[quote="DaveInSeattle”]
Really worried about him and my Mom long term.[/quote]

Glad you got him home, Dave.

I hear you on the worry about aging parents. I’m right there, too. I feel like I could get a dreaded phone call at any time, now.[/quote][/quote]

I'm really lucky that my sister lives here in Colorado Springs, and is an ICU nurse. But I'm also worried about the level of stress this is going to cause her.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I'm a little surprised and disappointed frankly that nobody has ever responded to one of my posts with, "More like 'JERKoma', amirite?"
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:I'm a little surprised and disappointed frankly that nobody has ever responded to one of my posts with, "More like 'JERKoma', amirite?"

The Jerl Store called. They're out of you.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.