Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:32 amHey guys, if someone sends out an email thanking people for working through a storm and then uses the term weathering the storm and then says (pun intended), is that even a fucking pun?
I don't think it's a pun. Doesn't "weather the storm" mean proceeding through and surviving the storm? Which includes working through the storm?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

"Heads will roll!" - Guillotine guy, making an obvious pun
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So I mentioned a few weeks ago on this thread about my one coworker. Now a guy just started that looks like Tessio.

“Tell Mike it was strictly business.”

He probably knows which bathroom stall is where we can stash the gun.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:13 am So I mentioned a few weeks ago on this thread about my one coworker. Now a guy just started that looks like Tessio.

“Tell Mike it was strictly business.”

He probably knows which bathroom stall is where we can stash the gun.
Speaking of that actor, the night The Shape of Water won the oscar, I saw a tweet that read,
“I don't want to see a movie about a woman who fucks Fish unless it stars Abe Vigoda.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Pissed that St Patty's day is going to ruin my normal Saturday night drinking.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am Pissed that St Patty's day is going to ruin my normal Saturday night drinking.
Same. I hate when it falls during March Madness too (which is half the time, but still).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Apple Music’s ‘Radio Station’ feature is a freakin joke. I just spun off a radio station from John Lennon. It’s served up Elvis Presley (twice), Perry Cuomo, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and Brenda Lee in the past 90 minutes, and when it gets a band ‘right’, it’s usually an obvious track (Bohemian Rhapsody, for example).

This is the work of a company drunk on riches and simply has no more fucks to give about remaining ‘cutting edge’.
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Do people have "nervous breakdowns" anymore?

I had to check my 17yo son into the hospital last night after threats of self-harm. It seems to me that he's basically having what we used to call a nervous breakdown, as he is really stressed about his ability to finish his classes to graduate in June and then about choosing college. From an objective sense, these all seem like minor problems - his gpa is 3.75 and he's already been accepted to three good colleges which we and he can afford to attend. But still, if you're stressed you're stressed, whether you "should be" or not.

I'm hoping this is a reaction to Prozac and other medications he's been taking, and that a medication change and some peaceful time in a inpatient facility will help him reset and move on.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Panic attack?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, I think they do, and agree with PDX, it's probably termed a panic attack these days. I had them for about half of my sixth grade year, and it's debilitating. Good luck with him. Hopefully counseling will help.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 am Do people have "nervous breakdowns" anymore?

I had to check my 17yo son into the hospital last night after threats of self-harm. It seems to me that he's basically having what we used to call a nervous breakdown, as he is really stressed about his ability to finish his classes to graduate in June and then about choosing college. From an objective sense, these all seem like minor problems - his gpa is 3.75 and he's already been accepted to three good colleges which we and he can afford to attend. But still, if you're stressed you're stressed, whether you "should be" or not.

I'm hoping this is a reaction to Prozac and other medications he's been taking, and that a medication change and some peaceful time in a inpatient facility will help him reset and move on.
My friend's son, who is about the same age, struggles with those as well. And worse his ex-wife is anti-therapy so he's been fighting a battle on two fronts just trying to get his son help. I'm no expert but I imagine it is probably even more common or likely with kids who are high achievers because they put more pressure on themselves.

Anyway, hope your son is feeling better soon.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's rough. Good luck with your son.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Thanks for the support.

I always thought a panic attack is something more acute and shorter-lasting. Like you have a panic attack in response to a certain situation that makes you nervous, your heart races, you sweat, etc. Then in 15 minutes or whatever you're back to normal.

This is more of a longer term stress. Constant worry about various things, to the point where you just want the worrying and stress to stop, and the only way to make it stop is to run into traffic.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Good luck, Steve.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Good vibes Steve.

I've never had a breakdown or a panic attack until about 3 months ago. Debilitating is the correct word. It was 3-4 hours of nonsensical terror for no real reason. Felt like my brain was on speed and I just couldn't get it to come down. Hoping he finds the mix of rest and meds he needs. 17 is a scary time even if it all looks good from the outside looking in.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, not knowing anything about him or where the schools are, I could see the prospect of leaving home for the first time setting someone off.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My daughter has gone the exact opposite. Doesn't care about anything. But she also has been seen by a psychiatrist via teleconference for a few months and been treated for mild depression that she claims was related to all the stress from the Junior year and college application process.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Good thoughts to you Steve! Hope that a little time away helps calm his nerves, or perhaps you should have shared some of the bounty of Golden CO, eh?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Scary. Good luck.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Man. Good luck to you and your son. My son - the autistic one - shows occasional signs of that. He has developed really high standards for his school work, standardized tests, track times, etc. Luckily it hasn't gotten that bad yet, but we keep a close eye on it. My 16-year-old niece has been in and out of a treatment center for depression for the last three months. Being a teenager can be very tough.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry for your son experiencing that and also that you're having to watch your child suffer, Steve.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, good luck, Steve. My daughter is also a senior and a high achiever and she is also very stressed out. Doesn't want to even engage with my wife and me when we talk about what college she will attend and scholarship stuff, etc. It doesn't sound like our situation is as extreme as yours, but I can relate. Chin up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 am Do people have "nervous breakdowns" anymore?

I think the term now is "being treated for exhaustion." A lot of antidepressants can increase suicidal thoughts in teenagers, and I believe SSRIs are not supposed to be prescribed to children under 16 for this reason. I wish I had some advice for you, but the fact that you are taking this seriously and getting him treatment is the most important thing. Good luck.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

best wishes for your son, steve and your family.
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Thanks again, guys. We checked him in to an inpatient facility yesterday; he'll probably be there a week. Hopefully they can figure out the medication situation and give him time to reset a little.

Thanks.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am Thanks again, guys. We checked him in to an inpatient facility yesterday; he'll probably be there a week. Hopefully they can figure out the medication situation and give him time to reset a little.

Thanks.
Man. I'm sorry for that, but I think it's great for your son that he has attentive parents who are willing to act and seek help. Good for you and good luck.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:58 amFrom an objective sense, these all seem like minor problems - his gpa is 3.75 and he's already been accepted to three good colleges which we and he can afford to attend. But still, if you're stressed you're stressed, whether you "should be" or not.
Yeah, this seemed really important. I was awful about "just don't stress" as advice for a long time because I'm relatively low stress until way too late in life.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am Thanks again, guys. We checked him in to an inpatient facility yesterday; he'll probably be there a week. Hopefully they can figure out the medication situation and give him time to reset a little.

Thanks.
Hope for all the best Steve.

My wife used to have severe panic attacks from stress. She's an exec, so carries the associated work load and desire to excel. In one year I took her to the ER 5 times because she thought she was havin hearts attacks. Medication helped, as did finally getting her non-functioning gall bladder diagnosed and removed. I've been on the edge a time or two myself, but have been lucky enough to not need medication to recover. One of my direct reports on my previous job was in the middle of one in January. His load was high, and his stress just compounded on itself. He didn't want help as he thought it would just complicate things. Had to force him to stop and had to have IT disable his computer access for a couple of days. He's better now, but it was scary.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

New gig is taking me to France for two weeks. This will be my third trip in 18mos, and after the experience of the previous two, I've decided to completely switch gears. I have a natural desire/need to be prepared, so end up way over packing. This time I forced myself to stick to one carry-on and a smallish backpack. Note that this includes my hard hat and some other PPE, so it's even tighter than it would seem. I bought some nice pants and shirts specifically for travel, that don't wrinkle, only need to be washed occasionally, but still look nice enough to go to a nice restaurant. Well see how it goes. Already realized one error, brining both my iPad and a kindle. Stupid, and no need if I maintain charge, and since I have a portable charger it's really a waste.

I'm anxious, but also looking forward to not lugging a big suitcase and garment bag around everywhere.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Square Rob wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm New gig is taking me to France for two weeks. This will be my third trip in 18mos, and after the experience of the previous two, I've decided to completely switch gears. I have a natural desire/need to be prepared, so end up way over packing. This time I forced myself to stick to one carry-on and a smallish backpack. Note that this includes my hard hat and some other PPE, so it's even tighter than it would seem. I bought some nice pants and shirts specifically for travel, that don't wrinkle, only need to be washed occasionally, but still look nice enough to go to a nice restaurant. Well see how it goes. Already realized one error, brining both my iPad and a kindle. Stupid, and no need if I maintain charge, and since I have a portable charger it's really a waste.

I'm anxious, but also looking forward to not lugging a big suitcase and garment bag around everywhere.
Wife and I did this on our trip a year ago with Oiler and his now fiancee. Only Tom Bihn backpack/European carry on legal (certain size, and not over 22 lbs) bags. Brought woolite packets and hand washed underwear, socks, and tshirts on our first night at each new stop. Most of the bathrooms had heated towel racks that helped the clothes dry. It was great.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

How often do you guys start a post and get about halfway through and think to yourself "nah, I doubt anyone really cares about that" and then go do something else? I must do it between 2 and 4 times a day at least.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:47 pm How often do you guys start a post and get about halfway through and think to yourself "nah, I doubt anyone really cares about that" and then go do something else? I must do it between 2 and 4 times a day at least.
Yup.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Square Rob wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pmI'm anxious, but also looking forward to not lugging a big suitcase and garment bag around everywhere.
If you're staying in the same hotel, can't you ship some stuff there and back (or just there)?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:47 pm How often do you guys start a post and get about halfway through and think to yourself "nah, I doubt anyone really cares about that" and then go do something else? I must do it between 2 and 4 times a day at least.
I dump probably half the posts I start.

You're all welcome.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

You're all welcome.
So many redundant posts have been deleted at the last moment. (I mean, even more redundant than a lot of what I do post).

ETA: I deleted an example of the sort of redundant post I usually delete.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

From ESPN: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nb ... ayers-ever

Elgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

WHAT?!!?!?!?!?!? THAT IS INSANE. I thought the Bills had it rough.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

blundercrush wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pmElgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

He retired nine games into the 71-72 season, which would see the Lakers go on to have the best record in NBA history to that point and finally win a title.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

blundercrush wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm From ESPN: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nb ... ayers-ever

Elgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

Holy crap - that is unbelievable. He must vomit whenever he sees a Celtics uniform.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 pm
blundercrush wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pmElgin Baylor appeared in the Finals eight times and set a Finals single-game record of 61 points, but never won a title.

He retired nine games into the 71-72 season, which would see the Lakers go on to have the best record in NBA history to that point and finally win a title.
No Elgin, NOOOO!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm

You're all welcome.
I do it a lot, too.