Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by brian »

If we're going by culture of the time and you've ever driven an automobile, I'll stick with Detroit for that period.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'd also consider Brooklyn for the 40s and 50s. I just think of Jackie Robinson and the Dodgers.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:If we're going by culture of the time and you've ever driven an automobile, I'll stick with Detroit for that period.
I've used a computer and associate it with the 90s more than with the 70s.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote:
brian wrote:If we're going by culture of the time and you've ever driven an automobile, I'll stick with Detroit for that period.
OK, I think we're having two different discussions and are both right in their own context.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:
OK, I think we're having two different discussions and are both right in their own context.

Probably. And I mean, nothing is really right or wrong.

I'm thinking complete cultural picture, and Detroit at it's automaking height with MoTown all over the radio? That's the era I crown Detroit.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Gas is pretty damn cheap right now. $1.90 on base after using my Star Card to save 5 cents.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I wanted to run a Lexus SUV off the road yesterday for its license plate: "YOLO X".

Dickhead was also wearing a bright green shirt and a neon chartreuse hat.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Someone leaving their dog in a car is the liberal equivalent of Stolen Valor.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

'sup with the Forum rules that implies a link, but there is none to be had?
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote:'sup with the Forum rules that implies a link, but there is none to be had?

Dave was doing an update and it kind of got munged a little bit. It'll get addressed eventually (or it won't).
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:'sup with the Forum rules that implies a link, but there is none to be had?

Dave was doing an update and it kind of got munged a little bit. It'll get addressed eventually (or it won't).

If you think about it, it's kinda cool in a way.

Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:

It looks like it's just part of phpBB 3.2 (We updated from 3.1). I can't see how to get rid of it via regular settings. I can go and edit the forum template, but I'd rather not.

I guess we can add some rules in there. Any suggestions?
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Post a photo of a chick you mention if she's hot.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Try not to start a thread with just a name unless they're dead.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I haven't heard the term "schmear" for cream cheese until I went to Einstein Bros Bagels. So is that like a New York thing or something? I've been eating bagels since forever and I feel like I'm completely late to this term.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote:I haven't heard the term "schmear" for cream cheese until I went to Einstein Bros Bagels. So is that like a New York thing or something? I've been eating bagels since forever and I feel like I'm completely late to this term.

Goyim, sheesh. It's a Yiddish word.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I didn't realize it's Yiddish. Fuck that word anyway.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I thought dick cheese was smegma.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I haven't heard the term "schmear" for cream cheese until I went to Einstein Bros Bagels. So is that like a New York thing or something? I've been eating bagels since forever and I feel like I'm completely late to this term.

Goyim, sheesh. It's a Yiddish word.

Johnnie only speaks 'murican and meme.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

L-Jam3 wrote:I didn't realize it's Yiddish. Fuck that word anyway.

I agree.

Toronto Jews never say it, it's heard in New York and from some of the more bogus Montreal Yids.

We call it "cream cheese."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

L-Jam3 wrote:I didn't realize it's Yiddish. Fuck that word anyway.

Says the guy from the town that eats cheez whiz on steak subs. It's the Jew equivalent of saying a "cheese steak wit".

For the record, fuck that word.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cheese steak wit sounds like a beer rush would like.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

DSafetyGuy wrote:I wanted to run a Lexus SUV off the road yesterday for its license plate: "YOLO X".

Saw a McLaren the other day with just "OIL". That guy's gotta be the worst.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Nope, nope, nope....

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/888560422621728769

Why does Tucker Carlson always have a look on his face similar to a cocker spaniel trying to understand quantum dynamics?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:

but serious question -- why does the "hassle" of traveling with kids mean people without kids should pay as much as those with kids and receive less in return? what's the explanation for that outside of "we have kids and you don't?"

I would have only seen this as a pay-per-family split, not pay-per-person. Maybe if one sister had 12 kids or something I would have thought about it from a per-person angle. As for flexibility in rooms, it is so easy for two adults to make do with whatever.

Did you mean "it is so easy for two childess adults to make do with whatever?" Because that's what we're dealing with here. We weren't expecting the kids to be flexible. The only people expected to be flexible were us. And that's the point she's trying to make. It's her battle. I'm just here for support and the ride.

And anyway, middle couple committed to meet her at the zoo this morning and 30 min later backed out because baby was tired (after GF was already there), so lalalalalalalalalalala

Good friend of mine is on a vacation in outer banks with his wife and kids, his in laws, his mom, his uncle and his uncle's girlfriend, and his sister(traveling without an SO) and her kids. It's a 7 BR and only six are being used (the kids are all in one big 4-sleeper). His sister, who only was able to come because my friend kicked in 50% of her cost, waltzes in on Saturday and claims the Master Master bedroom (there are apparently three, but this one was the largest with a blacony and jacuzzi) like it's nothing.

That's hubris.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bronto: [gets erection]
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My new goal in life is to meet someone with The General insurance.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote:My new goal in life is to meet someone with The General insurance.

Thinking about some of the places you've lived, I'm sure you've done this, but were just unaware of it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Johnnie wrote:My new goal in life is to meet someone with The General insurance.

Thinking about some of the places you've lived, I'm sure you've done this, but were just unaware of it.

Very likely so. According to Wiki the parent company became "The General" in 2012. That was the year I moved to Korea. And now they've obviously grown and have Shaq as a spokesperson.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It's possible I tore my plantar fascia yesterday playing soccer.

I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis in my left foot for a couple of months now. It originally started after playing basketball one night. Since then, I've been working on stretching it a lot and being patient, but I've never quite been idle for long enough for it to completely go away. It was particularly tough the last month when I was in Europe with the family and we walked everywhere.

My youngest son is starting tryouts for high school soccer on Monday. Since we've been in the UK most of the summer, he's only been able to jog, practice juggling and kick around with me and his brother. We got back home on Friday, and I found a pickup soccer game in town on Saturday so that he could get some real game play. I, of course, played with him as well. It went pretty well for a while - no foot pain for me at all - but then it started getting sore. After an hour, there was a break and then the remaining guys combined two games into one full-field game. I should have quit then, because my heel was now really tender, but I've always been terrible at quitting pickup (of any sport) when dudes are still going. So, I went out there and volunteered to be goalie. Well, eventually, a dude came in on a breakaway and when he hit the ball a bit too far, I went down for a sort of slide tackle to knock the ball away. As I planted my left foot, I felt it pop. FUCK! It hurt like hell and now I can't put any weight on that foot.

It's not quite as sore today, but I still can't put that heel down. Not too much swelling. I'm assuming I tore the damn thing. I'm hoping it's just a sprain, but I'm not that optimistic. I'll go see my orthopedic tomorrow.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That all sounds horribly painful. Good luck. And yes, you are too old to be playing soccer. So live it up while you can.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It turns out I can't get an appointment until Thursday. So, I'll just limp until then. On the plus side, it's actually been improving. It's still very tender on my heel, but it only really hurts now when I step on it wrong.

Maybe this should have all gone in the Things That Make You Feel Old thread. Nobody under the age of 35 even knows what a plantar fascia is.
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

In the NFL, NBA, and NHL, I see three (or four) teams with similar profiles. They have die-hard fans, they've had long periods of sustained success, even getting to the championship round, they are considered one of the hallmark major franchises of the sport, but they haven't won it all in considerably longer than the normal 30 or so year turnover. So I'm looking at the Eagles (or maybe the Chiefs fit this profile) in the NFL, the Knicks in the NBA, and the Maple Leafs (or possibly the Flyers) in the NHL.

I'm having trouble thinking who this is in baseball. I would've said the Giants prior to 2010, but now that they broke through in a big way, who follows that profile in MLB? The M's, even though they only were strong from 95 to 01 or so? Cleveland? Maybe the Mets?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Dodgers?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote:Dodgers?

Definitely the Dodgers.

They were the premier NL franchise for decades. And they haven't even made it to the World Series in nearly 30 years. Plus, they've won the division the last 4 years but still didn't win the pennant.

Edit: The Dodgers have won the Division eight times since 1988, plus two wild cards (before the WC involved the play-in game). They lost the Division Series 6 times (including being swept 3 times) and lost the NLCS four times - never even making a series go 7 games.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:It turns out I can't get an appointment until Thursday. So, I'll just limp until then. On the plus side, it's actually been improving. It's still very tender on my heel, but it only really hurts now when I step on it wrong.

Maybe this should have all gone in the Things That Make You Feel Old thread. Nobody under the age of 35 even knows what a plantar fascia is.

I've had plantar fasciitis on and off for years. Luckily, mostly off now. But fuck it hurts.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

L-Jam3 wrote:In the NFL, NBA, and NHL, I see three (or four) teams with similar profiles. They have die-hard fans, they've had long periods of sustained success, even getting to the championship round, they are considered one of the hallmark major franchises of the sport, but they haven't won it all in considerably longer than the normal 30 or so year turnover. So I'm looking at the Eagles (or maybe the Chiefs fit this profile) in the NFL, the Knicks in the NBA, and the Maple Leafs (or possibly the Flyers) in the NHL.

I'm having trouble thinking who this is in baseball. I would've said the Giants prior to 2010, but now that they broke through in a big way, who follows that profile in MLB? The M's, even though they only were strong from 95 to 01 or so? Cleveland? Maybe the Mets?

I'd argue the Browns or the Lions for the NFL over the Eagles or Chiefs, and I think the Reds would be a candidate for the MLB team.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote:Dodgers?

Braves?
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."