Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:How weird is it that we still use a floppy disk as an icon for "Save" when there are about 25 years worth of people who haven't ever used a floppy.

h/t Chive

https://twitter.com/Bill_Gross/status/9 ... 4911233024
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote:
A_B wrote:How weird is it that we still use a floppy disk as an icon for "Save" when there are about 25 years worth of people who haven't ever used a floppy.

h/t Chive

https://twitter.com/Bill_Gross/status/9 ... 4911233024

I was giving a presentation onsite for a client a few weeks ago, and they were having issues with their wifi security, so they couldn't log in my computer. The IT guy told the office manager to use an ethernet cable to plug me in directly. She was excited and said, "that's so cool, I've never actually seen an internet wire." She was probably in her mid-to-late 20s, and tech savvy, as they are a tech software company and she ran all their web conferencing setup.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It's funny how much sports knowledge permeates my brain, as likely anyone else here. I started some consultant work for a big firm in Philly which may or may not have filed a certain public officeholder's documentation to divest from his company prior to starting his public service. Anyway, the attorney I am working under has an office next to another attorney with "CHRIS JACKSON" on the office nameplate.

So of course, like everyone else here, immediately thought he should change his name to Mahmood Abdul-Rauf.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

The sound that chip credit card readers make is dumb and annoying as shit. It sounds like a noise that would indicate something is wrong, when it worked correctly. How did no one raise an objection about this during the design?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnny Carwash wrote:The sound that chip credit card readers make is dumb and annoying as shit. It sounds like a noise that would indicate something is wrong, when it worked correctly. How did no one raise an objection about this during the design?

I make it a game to try and remove my card without the sound. Agree 100% though.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And then watch when the next person sticks their "credit card" in?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Maybe it has that irritating sound so it goes straight to your annoyance lobe so you don’t forget your card.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

L-Jam3 wrote:Maybe it has that irritating sound so it goes straight to your annoyance lobe so you don’t forget your card.

No maybe about it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

L-Jam3 wrote:Maybe it has that irritating sound so it goes straight to your annoyance lobe so you don’t forget your card.

It's saved me probably 10 times in the last year or so so I'd say it's working.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:The sound that chip credit card readers make is dumb and annoying as shit. It sounds like a noise that would indicate something is wrong, when it worked correctly. How did no one raise an objection about this during the design?

Weird.

We've had the chip readers for maybe a decade, and I don;t recall ever hearing the readers make a weird noise.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Here's a question I have about chip readers: there is a Wal Mart grocery market around the corner from me and whenever i go there it doesn't ask for a pin or a signature or anything to approve the payment. What's up with that?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A lot of places don't under a certain threshold.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote:Here's a question I have about chip readers: there is a Wal Mart grocery market around the corner from me and whenever i go there it doesn't ask for a pin or a signature or anything to approve the payment. What's up with that?

That's pretty common here. I don't think my grocery store asks for a signature unless the charge is over $50.

As I understand it, the signature only matters if you later deny that you were the one who made that purchase. That's pretty rare for in-person transactions. So the marginal benefit of a signature is pretty minimal.

I was stunned a few years ago when I was in Scotland and the clerk actually looked at my signature and compared it to the one on my card. Since my signature had devolved to basically a squiggle and a line at that point, it was not close. I had to re-learn cursive for the rest of that trip.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Do you have the tap feature? Just tap the visa to the terminal and you're done?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This morning I was pulled over for neglecting a stop sign (I California rolled, but I was in a parking lot going slow, so fine) and when asked for my license, registration, and insurance I gave the wrong registration. (I have the correct one in my glove box, but didn't remove the old one.) I was let off with a warning.

10 minutes later in the drive thru line someone two cars ahead of me paid for my breakfast burritos.

Hashtag military privilege.
Hashtag you're welcome for my service.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:This morning I was pulled over for neglecting a stop sign (I California rolled, but I was in a parking lot going slow, so fine) and when asked for my license, registration, and insurance I gave the wrong registration. (I have the correct one in my glove box, but didn't remove the old one.) I was let off with a warning.

10 minutes later in the drive thru line someone two cars ahead of me paid for my breakfast burritos.

Hashtag military privilege.
Hashtag you're welcome for my service.

I pay your salary, and now I have to pay for your breakfast burrito? Fuck this.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Is there some kind of etiquette against wearing Harley shit if you don't have a Harley?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote:Is there some kind of etiquette against wearing Harley shit if you don't have a Harley?

It's called the douchebag rule.

My old boss used to wear a Stanford sweatshirt, even though he didn't attend there and had no relatives who attended there. Ruling? (He lived near Stanford and attended their games.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wait...he was a fan...wearing the sweatshirt? This requires no ruling.

Also, I can't get worked up about HD gear unless it's over the top all the time every day type without owning one. You can WANT a harley and like them even if you don't have one yet!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote:Wait...he was a fan...wearing the sweatshirt? This requires no ruling.

To me, wearing a Stanford sweatshirt to the mall or grocery store is implicitly claiming that you are a Stanford grad or parent of one.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I can't get on board with that, though I used to feel pretty strongly about things like this.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A_B wrote:Wait...he was a fan...wearing the sweatshirt? This requires no ruling.

Also, I can't get worked up about HD gear unless it's over the top all the time every day type without owning one. You can WANT a harley and like them even if you don't have one yet!

I don't want one. I got 160 reward points for my 20th anniversary so I bought a surround sound bar and woofer for 84. Now I can get a $200 pair of Ray Ban Aviators for 76, or I could be a hero and walk in the door with a couple of Echo Dots for the kids at 30 each, which leaves me 16 points. The nicest ones for 16 points are Harleys. Not only do I not want a Harley though, I don't think I'm comfortable even having people think I want a Harley.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Being a diehard of a school you didn't attend is very weird.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

sancarlos wrote:To me, wearing a Stanford sweatshirt to the mall or grocery store is implicitly claiming that you are a Stanford grad or parent of one.

Whoa, really? Does this apply to kids, because there goes my entire middle school wardrobe including the, oh god, Texas A&M Starter jacket.

And even then, I'd totally wear a Miami t-shirt or something to this day.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Being a diehard of a school you didn't attend is very weird.

You've eliminated 75% of the SOuth's wardrobe.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Nobody wants to help me with my shopping dilemma?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Don't be a dork.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote:Nobody wants to help me with my shopping dilemma?

I assumed you were judging someone else not debating for yourself. Don't do it.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Thank you!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It just screams tiny penis.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

ur only sayin that becuz its a pats harly if it was a stealers harly or any other team u would love it but ur a hatter so of course u say that lol so jealous count the rings
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:ur only sayin that becuz its a pats harly if it was a stealers harly or any other team u would love it but ur a hatter so of course u say that lol so jealous count the rings

The one fan base they can't say that to!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote:
sancarlos wrote:To me, wearing a Stanford sweatshirt to the mall or grocery store is implicitly claiming that you are a Stanford grad or parent of one.

Whoa, really? Does this apply to kids, because there goes my entire middle school wardrobe including the, oh god, Texas A&M Starter jacket.

I think kids are excepted.

And, if you have no personal connection, I think being a diehard and wearing the apparel for a state school is somewhat different than repping a prestigious institution like Stanford or Yale, etc.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Johnnie wrote:This morning I was pulled over for neglecting a stop sign

This and the lack of turn signal usage are New Mexican as green chile. I didn't know that APD even knew to look for such things.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote:

This and the lack of turn signal usage are New Mexican as green chile. I didn't know that APD even knew to look for such things.

Co-sign. That reminds me. I'll be driving in New Mexico in December, so I ought to make sure my will is updated.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Kids are different because they couldn't have gone to a college yet and still might. There are also exceptions for children/relatives giving older people apparel. But if I just went out and bought a Princeton hoodie to wear around, that would be weird.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

sancarlos wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:

Co-sign. That reminds me. I'll be driving in New Mexico in December, so I ought to make sure my will is updated.

Wise choice. Can honestly say Albuquerque has the worst drivers I've ever seen.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote:
Ryan wrote:

I think kids are excepted.

And, if you have no personal connection, I think being a diehard and wearing the apparel for a state school is somewhat different than repping a prestigious institution like Stanford or Yale, etc.

Yeah, I'm a Virginia fan and have some Virginia t-shirts, but I didn't go to school there. Never felt guilty about it. I do think it's a bit different if it's a swanky private school. The exception would be if it's your local school. A lot of folks around Durham wear Duke stuff, but didn't go there. It's the town school though.

(For that matter, that's why I'm a Virginia fan. I grew up in Charlottesville. And I went to a DIII college, so I had no other school to replace it.)
Totally Kafkaesque