Bill Cosby Meltdown Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Bill Cosby Meltdown Thread

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Do we need this? Absolutely fine if the answer is "no," admins feel free to lock.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Re: Bill Cosby Meltdown Thread

Post by brian »

I think we can handle it. I don't think anyone here is pro-rape.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But what if all dozen of these non-linked women are making up somewhat similar stories???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Not pro-rape, but also not as full of glee about this as it seems many others on the internet are. I enjoyed Bill as an entertainer.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:Not pro-rape, but also not as full of glee about this as it seems many others on the internet are. I enjoyed Bill as an entertainer.
Fair point. Not really sure why that seems to be a common reaction to these kinds of stories. Though some of it might have been because (fair or not) Cosby was considered some kind of moral authority by some.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Rex wrote:Not pro-rape, but also not as full of glee about this as it seems many others on the internet are. I enjoyed Bill as an entertainer.
Yeah, this was what I really meant by my opening post--not a question of whether we were allowed to talk about this, but whether we wanted to. I see people a decade or so younger than me gloating over Cosby's downfall, but my reaction is more along the lines of being generally bummed (not that this should diminish the severity of what he has allegedly done).

I don't think this really has a clear parallel in American popular culture--an almost universally admired entertainer having his reputation destroyed to the point where those who grew up with him will almost have to pretend that he didn't exist for the remainder of our lives. I've heard Michael Jackson brought up as a comparison, but I think Cosby was different in that he was widely viewed as having a distinct social influence as well as cultural.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Closest comp I can think of would be Kirby Puckett.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I don't think its glee that Cosby got taken down, its satisfaction in seeing a person who abused their power in the worst possible way get taken down. Who it was doesn't matter, just that it eventually happened.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

How this all started:

And of course there are people from the Rape Culture Brigade that are calling out Hannibal because he jokes about sexual situations misconstrued as sexual assault which in Twisted Politically Correct World equals actual rape. Like Rich Goldstein. It's sad that people like him are employed to be writers. Dude lacks any modicum of journalistic integrity.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

mister d wrote:I don't think its glee that Cosby got taken down, its satisfaction in seeing a person who abused their power in the worst possible way get taken down. Who it was doesn't matter, just that it eventually happened.
There is also glee from the comedians (and the fans of those comedians) that he publicly scolded for having vulgar acts. As for Kirby Puckett, if he is the closest (and I can't think of anyone else), it would be like the 2nd place marathon runner finishing an hour after the winner.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The Juice finishes on the lead lap.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

boy it just gets worse and worse for him

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Could be worse:

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rex wrote:boy it just gets worse and worse for him

This is what the original sister on That 70's Show would look like if she became bloated instead of decomposed.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:This is what the original sister on That 70's Show would look like if she became bloated instead of decomposed.
That's it. I've reached the limits of my cynicism.

I'm heading back to an older, kinder Swamp.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pretty sure the heat is extra high on Cosby because he spent the last decade plus playing finger-wagging elder statesman moral authority guy decrying the state of black culture.

You don't get to do that and then get outed as a serial rapist and not get a ton of people pointing it out.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

tennbengal wrote:Pretty sure the heat is extra high on Cosby because he spent the last decade plus playing finger-wagging elder statesman moral authority guy decrying the state of black culture.

You don't get to do that and then get outed as a serial rapist and not get a ton of people pointing it out.
Yep.
We have got to take the neighborhood back.

People used to be ashamed. Today, a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now.

We have millionaire football players who cannot read.

We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs.

We, as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal- Mart with seven kids... you are hurting us.

We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Bengal & ryan's quoting of Cosby is why I think this is a huge deal. Being someone known, at least in moral terms, as primarily a scold on even seemingly nothing issues (like pulling up your pants) gives anyone the authority to rip Cosby a new asshole just for the way he has tried to manipulate the media for asking about the rape allegations. His "you aren't going to air my denials on air are you?" bullshit in multiple interviews shows he is clueless about the stakes of the claims.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can't believe I'm actually kinda defending him, but I doubt Cosby would make the top 100 list of egregious "Do as I say, not as I do" celebrity assholes out there. I don't necessary agree with a lot of the shit he's complained about, but it's not as if him being accused of what he's accused of renders a lot of those arguments invalid.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(If he had been out there beating the drum against sexual harassment, then that would be another story.)
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The story has a lot of layers.

I'm in my 40s and I'm kind of a comedy nerd. He was up there with Pryor, Martin and Carlin in terms of comedians I listened to as a kid. Watched Fat Albert every Saturday, then the progression to The Cosby Show.

If I was aware of the civil proceedings in 2005/6 at the time, it must've been a he said-she said scenario that I easily brushed aside, because Burress calling him out was the first I'd really heard of this.

So it raises a pretty basic question: Why wasn't this out there?? It's not the same, but it reminds me a bit of R. Kelly. There's no way that guy should've had a career after those initial allegations came out. Fucking disgusting.

The number of women that were willing TEN YEARS AGO to testify to Cosby being a serial rapist, and the vast majority of the press looked the other way. I hope a lot of those people are hearing these women and having trouble sleeping. There were a LOT of enablers for this to go unchecked for so long.

And I know we've kind of talked through the "glee" angle... I guess that's generational or something. For me, I'm just disgusted and angry... and hugely disappointed.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Trump is going to pardon him within the hour.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:32 pm Trump is going to pardon him within the hour.
And the Right will declare it proof that Trump is the greatest thing that ever happened to minorities.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fortunately Trump can’t pardon state crimes or I fear you’d both probably be right.

As it is I don’t understand why Cosby doesn’t just drink a Klonopin smoothie and call it a day. I don’t ever plan to go to jail and be an international pariah at age 81 but that’s the dignified ballsy way out and I’d take it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:12 pm
mister d wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:32 pm Trump is going to pardon him within the hour.
And the Right will declare it proof that Trump is the greatest thing that ever happened to minorities.
If it was Bob Hope it would have been done.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:17 pm Fortunately Trump can’t pardon state crimes or I fear you’d both probably be right.

As it is I don’t understand why Cosby doesn’t just drink a Klonopin smoothie and call it a day. I don’t ever plan to go to jail and be an international pariah at age 81 but that’s the dignified ballsy way out and I’d take it.
I agree.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

brian wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:17 pm Fortunately Trump can’t pardon state crimes or I fear you’d both probably be right.

Don't know how bad his health is but I'd definitely try to wait out three years. The guy still has dough. Just has to make it through alive.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m assuming there are other trials to come. If he’s “lucky” the civil cases will only bleed him dry. I’d rather be OJ Simpson than Bill Cosby even if Cosby was free.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Obviously, Brian. Murder is more socially acceptable than rape.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Since we were bumping everything but the actual original thread...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:49 pm Since we were bumping everything but the actual original thread...
Sorry, I don't have that kind of Rass/Carwash recall!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

And this is a fake Cosby thread. Searched for Coz and nothing so...
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I have no idea why he did that.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.