(The End of) Journalism Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

howard
Karl Hungus

(The End of) Journalism Thread

Post by howard »

The craptastic reportage of the Cyprus situation made me think of renewing this topic. Then the below piece crossed my radar. We got plenty of sports related craptasmic examples to discuss as well.

James Goodale: It’s a bad time for press freedoms (Columbia Journalism Review)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnnie
The Dude

Re: (The End of) Journalism Thread

Post by Johnnie »

The amount of money that U2 maintainers and personnel get for being "deployed" there for 4 months is disgusting. The lowest ranks will clear 20 grand easy. It's awful.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Please, just read this. Sums up this thread to a T.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So this: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/31/world/asi ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Complete and total fabrication. They are out front of my hangar to show off for ROK dignitaries. That has been the plan for the last month.

I hate the media.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

New York's Picture Newspaper

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: New York's Picture Newspaper

Post by The Sybian »

Can't trust the media, that is for damned sure.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

just pick another photo... don't understand the thought process on that one
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote:just pick another photo... don't understand the thought process on that one
Or crop. There are 1000s of pictures to go with here, and this one wasn't any better than so many others I've seen. And the injury wasn't all that gory to begin with. Really a bizarre editorial decision here.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pretty good shopping, though.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's just awful. Do they not have editors over there? How can any responsible adult think that sort of thing is OK?
Totally Kafkaesque
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

The good news is, if he is innocent (and it certainly sounds like he is), he'll probably be set for life financially before even graduating high school!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

testy boxcar wrote:The good news is, if he is innocent (and it certainly sounds like he is), he'll probably be set for life financially before even graduating high school!
Word. Lawyer up and sue the fuck out of the Post. It's one thing that a bunch of amateur sleuths are circling them with MS paint in pictures and spreading it all over Reddit. Whatever, I feel bad for the kids, and I thought they looked a bit suspicious and that the one backpack could have been the same as the exploded pack. I also thought the "military gear" was completely baseless. Post has to be held accountable, that is unexcusable. Especially since a bunch of people on Reddit found evidence that the kids weren't the bombers. I realize the Post is a fricken joke of a paper, but this is out of control.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

That is so awesome. In the sense that maybe it will convince a few more people of the utter worthlessness of the Post and virtually anything Murdoch other than amusement.

I have glanced through many of the photos online, some marked up. My first impression of each of those two was 'naw, they don't look it'. Nothing has changed that; The Post reinforces it.

Mad bombers don't carry water bottles.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Murdoch sets the bar; CNN clears it easily

Post by howard »

Irony?

Howard Kurtz Apologizes to Jason Collins on CNN's 'Reliable Sources'

CNN broadcasting an embarrassing mistake? Hell noes that ain't ironic.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Like Russia, Like USA

Post by howard »

This is a short article discussing media control and propaganda in Russia today. The description also happens to fit TV news in the USA to a "T".

What Putin learnt from Berlusconi
TV is Putin’s priority. Unlike Stalin and Brezhnev, he understands he doesn’t need total media control. Sauer says the state still leaves his websites and newspapers alone. “We don’t notice any change. No phone calls, no pressure, nothing.” Russian internet use is soaring, yet Sauer says: “We all think, because we’re in the media, that these changes happen very fast.

But in reality most people still get their news from TV.” That’s true not just in Russia, where perhaps 80 per cent do, but even in the US. Russian newspapers are comparatively tiny: few sell more than 100,000 copies, a figure representing under 0.1 per cent of the population.

“The funny thing about Russia,” Sauer had told me in 2005, “is there’s complete press freedom for the informed but none for the uninformed. The informed, the people who read papers like Vedomosti or Kommersant, know a lot anyway because they also see satellite TV and the internet. There’s no point trying to suppress us. It would just create a fuss and international criticism.” Moreover, allowing some critical voices only makes Putin’s propaganda on TV more credible.

And so Moscow’s middle classes are allowed pockets of freedom of thought. These people aren’t about to oust Putin. Sauer says: “There’s no question of an Arab spring happening here. For a revolution you need lots of unemployed young people.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

As some may have heard, the Chicago Sun-Times fired their entire photo staff recently and armed reporters with smartphones so they could take pictures.

It's safe to say it's had some effect on the quality of photos in the paper ...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Since this thread bumped, here's a death of newspapers item I saw on the bloomberg tv this am.

New York Times Set to Sell Globe for 10% of Purchase Price

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

It's not all self-inflicted

Post by howard »

Court Tells Reporter to Testify in Case of Leaked C.I.A. Data

More "security trumps the bill of rights" bullshit, in direct violation of decades of court precedent, from the supremes down. But, no one cares, so this freedom will die silently.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So the 2nd amendment is more sacrosanct than the first amendment...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Yesterday, the Cleveland Plain Dealer laid off more than 50 reporters and editors as part of a corporate restructuring. (Coincidentally, they posted nine job postings on JournalismJobs.com for their new business unit, which happens to be a non-union shop.) The PD editorial department unionized (Newspaper Guild).

The union announced they were having a layoff party at a brew pub in Ohio City last night, and said they would accept donations to pay their bar tab. They got a few donations, amounting to almost $5,000, including one donation from Norway.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Washington Post sold to Jeff Bezos (not Amazon but Bezos himself). Same publisher, leadership, and CEO.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

From the LA Times:

The absence of even a gesture of bipartisanship was a reminder of the enduring political legacy of the civil rights battles. Since Democrats led the passage of civil rights legislation that marchers pushed for in 1963, Republicans have struggled to recover with black voters, leaving a stark racial divide in American politics.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, right. Even worse, that article cites four "writers" as having contributed. Why bother reporting anything when you can collectively make shit up and pass it off as fact.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It might be a little harsh to call this an example of the "end of journalism", but at the very least CNN needs to update their simile-tron so it gives them a little more variety:

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The GOP didn't like Obama's tone after the shooting? What was his tone?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:The GOP didn't like Obama's tone after the shooting? What was his tone?
His voice sounded "too black."
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:The GOP didn't like Obama's tone after the shooting? What was his tone?
His voice sounded "too black."
First time for everything I guess.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I am very well informed on news events. I do not watch or read traditional media on a regular basis. I rarely will flip on a cable news net during a breaking story like this shooting. But less and less often, because of crap like this.

I did not watch a single second of coverage of this shooting incident on Monday. Not a drop. Because to do so is counterproductive--I would be less informed, and I would be subjected to the fear mongering and other cheap emotional appeals.

Fuck that. I managed to be well informed with my little computer and an AM radio. (And, of course, wulax.)

I have been a keen consumer of tv news my entire life. I studied and analyzed news media formally in high school (yes--two courses, if you count 'Sports Literature') and college. Lived with and nearly married a big-city TV news reporter/substitute anchor. Even participated in news gathering and reporting on occasion (if you count sportswriting, and the occasional emergency assisting my girlfriend as an ad hoc field producer). I've taken a harshly critical view of the industry and product since Lee Harvey got it on (nearly) live TV until Barry's weird speech last Tuesday. I've developed a complex set of filters to sort through the crap and fluff, and extract the (shrinking proportion of) useful data.

But there is nearly none that remains. Rapidly approaching zero.

There is plenty of journalism being practiced today. But, not on the main TV outlets. Not in the Pravda, Izvestia and TASS of our homeland evil empire (NY Times, WaPo, BosGlobe--fun game: match the two sets!)

I watched a Frontline documentary last night on the Egyptian Revolution. Utter crap. Such an emotional-laden, insight-devoid film I seriously doubt would've been air-able by the same show a decade ago. There was plenty of fact and useful anecdote interspersed with the 'look at me and my journey' theme and approach of the reporter and 'oh, the emotional ups and downs of the supporting characters so touched my reporter heart' device which drove the film.

The piece even lacked a coherent political bias that PBS used to typically and unapologetically color their documentary work. My key complaint here is the lack of coherence. Yeah, it's a challenge to report an incoherent story; shit, that is one benefit of a strong bias in reporting--at least you can produce a logical path, that can be accepted or rejected by the viewer.

They barely even tried. But they sure elicited a bunch of hope, fear, sorrow, pity, sadness and other emotions. Not much fact or analysis, though. But who needs that shit? Emotion keeps 'em coming back.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Pusillanimous Pussyfooters

Post by howard »

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

An email! Sounds like about the end of Coulson, and his curly-haired girlfriend Brooks.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

when I clicked this yesterday I figured it'd be about my video
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

howard wrote:
I am very well informed on news events. I do not watch or read traditional media on a regular basis. I rarely will flip on a cable news net during a breaking story like this shooting. But less and less often, because of crap like this.

I did not watch a single second of coverage of this shooting incident on Monday. Not a drop. Because to do so is counterproductive--I would be less informed, and I would be subjected to the fear mongering and other cheap emotional appeals.

Fuck that. I managed to be well informed with my little computer and an AM radio. (And, of course, wulax.)

I have been a keen consumer of tv news my entire life. I studied and analyzed news media formally in high school (yes--two courses, if you count 'Sports Literature') and college. Lived with and nearly married a big-city TV news reporter/substitute anchor. Even participated in news gathering and reporting on occasion (if you count sportswriting, and the occasional emergency assisting my girlfriend as an ad hoc field producer). I've taken a harshly critical view of the industry and product since Lee Harvey got it on (nearly) live TV until Barry's weird speech last Tuesday. I've developed a complex set of filters to sort through the crap and fluff, and extract the (shrinking proportion of) useful data.

But there is nearly none that remains. Rapidly approaching zero.

There is plenty of journalism being practiced today. But, not on the main TV outlets. Not in the Pravda, Izvestia and TASS of our homeland evil empire (NY Times, WaPo, BosGlobe--fun game: match the two sets!)

I watched a Frontline documentary last night on the Egyptian Revolution. Utter crap. Such an emotional-laden, insight-devoid film I seriously doubt would've been air-able by the same show a decade ago. There was plenty of fact and useful anecdote interspersed with the 'look at me and my journey' theme and approach of the reporter and 'oh, the emotional ups and downs of the supporting characters so touched my reporter heart' device which drove the film.

The piece even lacked a coherent political bias that PBS used to typically and unapologetically color their documentary work. My key complaint here is the lack of coherence. Yeah, it's a challenge to report an incoherent story; shit, that is one benefit of a strong bias in reporting--at least you can produce a logical path, that can be accepted or rejected by the viewer.

They barely even tried. But they sure elicited a bunch of hope, fear, sorrow, pity, sadness and other emotions. Not much fact or analysis, though. But who needs that shit? Emotion keeps 'em coming back.
Bump.

Revisit y'all.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Holy crap, I need to see what Big Poppa Pump had to say. Remember when CNN was a respected news organization?
-Pruitt
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

The Sybian wrote:Remember when CNN was a respected news organization?
No.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote:Holy crap, I need to see what Big Poppa Pump had to say.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The devastation in the Philippines is truly horrifying. This morning, I was scanning my usual news sites and came across this - the main story about this disaster on the front page of the Telegraph.
Miracle baby born as typhoon hits China
Happy! Happy!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."