Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

elflaco2
Brandt

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by elflaco2 »

as of friday, his time is the second fastest freshman in the state, and 20th fastest high schooler this year.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Good lord. That's awesome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 pm as of friday, his time is the second fastest freshman in the state, and 20th fastest high schooler this year.
He going to be running at the Metuchen “Spring Thaw” next weekend? And any idea whether they’re going to allow spectators?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah.. he has soccer practice at that time, i'm guessing he'll skip that session (even if it means less playing time on sunday's game) to run the meet..
he ran a meet on saturday -- 12 kids in the race, he was in 8th at 1200..finished 2nd at 4.45 (one second behind the winner)... this was after a grueling (to me anyway) soccer practice earlier in the day (finished practice at 2, his race was over by 5p)
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

and yes...
bleachers are open.. everyone wears masks.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:37 am and yes...
bleachers are open.. everyone wears masks.
Thanks man. Youngest has a soccer game back here at 4:30 so hoping we can see the oldest run at least one event.

She came in 6th in the 1600 at the county championships yesterday, improved 12 seconds from her run at the qualifying meet, and beat out all of the other frosh.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:37 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 pm as of friday, his time is the second fastest freshman in the state, and 20th fastest high schooler this year.
He going to be running at the Metuchen “Spring Thaw” next weekend? And any idea whether they’re going to allow spectators?
I wouldn't be all that upset if they didn't allow spectators for track. My son didn't want us going to his cross country meets, saying no parents went, and who am I to embarrass him?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Not my kid...but the son of a friend of mine made the opening day roster for the Indians.

Trevor Stephan earns Opening Day roster spot, adds power arm to bullpen
The Indians selected Stephan in the Rule 5 Draft this winter. Stephan said that he knew there was a chance he’d be taken in the Draft since the Yankees left him unprotected, and he was excited to hear that Cleveland gave him an opportunity to make it to the big leagues.

Between Class A Advanced and Double-A in New York’s organization in 2019, Stephan pitched to a 4.73 ERA in 20 games (19 starts) with 91 strikeouts and 29 walks in 80 innings. But when he came to camp with the Indians this spring, he was put in the bullpen and has a 2.45 ERA with 10 strikeouts and two walks in his first 7 1/3 frames.

“This kid came in and we told him, we said, ‘We Rule 5’d you because we like your arm,’” Francona said. “We kept him on our ballclub because we think he has poise. … There’s a lot to like about this kid. He was good. He goes, ‘I know this is just the beginning, I know I have a lot to prove.’ It was just a fun message.”
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

After saturday's meet - he is ranked #7 in the state.
The boy ran his fifth HS track meet today.
Coach put him to run the 800 .. he hasn't run that since 6th grade. He ran 1.06, 1.06 for a 1st place 2.12 - Again the kick with 100 to go was awesome to watch, easily beat the second place but still 10seconds below the HS's fastest 800 runner (didn't run today) - kid said he didn't like the race, wasn't comfortable in it.
last 'winter track' meet on saturday. he'll either run the 1600 or the 3200 (not one he's run before) in preparation for spring track. For the 32 he is looking at 5:10 pace for first 6 laps before he kicks into high gear (i'm always amazed at the ability to pull down more gears) He is disappointed he won't get a chance at his HS winter track record (4.38, he would have beat it) but is looking fwd to bigger and better things. I don't see how he continues w club soccer in the fall if he keeps improving in track this spring. I told him i'd take him anywhere as long as the grades hold up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s awesome. Impressed by the level of self-motivation.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:14 pm After saturday's meet - he is ranked #7 in the state.
The boy ran his fifth HS track meet today.
Coach put him to run the 800 .. he hasn't run that since 6th grade. He ran 1.06, 1.06 for a 1st place 2.12 - Again the kick with 100 to go was awesome to watch, easily beat the second place but still 10seconds below the HS's fastest 800 runner (didn't run today) - kid said he didn't like the race, wasn't comfortable in it.
last 'winter track' meet on saturday. he'll either run the 1600 or the 3200 (not one he's run before) in preparation for spring track. For the 32 he is looking at 5:10 pace for first 6 laps before he kicks into high gear (i'm always amazed at the ability to pull down more gears) He is disappointed he won't get a chance at his HS winter track record (4.38, he would have beat it) but is looking fwd to bigger and better things. I don't see how he continues w club soccer in the fall if he keeps improving in track this spring. I told him i'd take him anywhere as long as the grades hold up.
That’s fantastic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

yeah. just wish he did some of that with schoolwork.
told me when he's running there is nothing else. doesn't hear or see anything else. he's actually happy and focused. i hope he isn't continuing with soccer because of me.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hopefully I’ll get to see him run at a meet this year.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:17 pm That’s awesome. Impressed by the level of self-motivation.
Kinda easy to be motivated when you're blowing MFers away.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Damn, that super impressive. Why won't they give him a shot to beat the school record? And I didn't even realize these were all indoor times, but that makes them even more impressive.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Spring track officially starts on 4/1, so the winter season is just about over. Like the fall XC season the kids had a lot fewer opportunities than normal. Sucks.

flaco, does that mean you guys won't be at tomorrow's meet down your way? I think that's still "winter" even though it's outside and the calendar says spring.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Oldest just got a Summer Finance Internship at the World Bank Treasury in DC. Kid just never ceases to amaze me and frustrate me in equal proportion.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:48 pm Oldest just got a Summer Finance Internship at the World Bank Treasury in DC. Kid just never ceases to amaze me and frustrate me in equal proportion.
in person or virtual? Will we get an AB in DC get together opportunity?

I have a few ex-coworkers and at least 1 parent (but I think a few more) of kids on my soccer team who work there. More than happy to help network out when she arrives. Depending on what she is doing more than happy to connect her with folks at my company and some other DC folks if it is helpful (example: the Federal Reserve).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:58 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:48 pm Oldest just got a Summer Finance Internship at the World Bank Treasury in DC. Kid just never ceases to amaze me and frustrate me in equal proportion.

I have a few ex-coworkers and at least 1 parent (but I think a few more) of kids on my soccer team who work there. More than happy to help network out when she arrives. Depending on what she is doing more than happy to connect her with folks at my company and some other DC folks if it is helpful (example: the Federal Reserve).
It's in person. Starts June 1. If anyone knows of someone looking to have a roommate or sublet, that's helpful. And I'll let you know if I'll be that way. I assume we will have to move some stuff from Boston for sure. She's already got someone to sublet her apartment this summer in Boston and has been on some groups for people in DC looking to Sublet but didn't know if she got they job until today.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:02 pm

It's in person. Starts June 1. If anyone knows of someone looking to have a roommate or sublet, that's helpful. And I'll let you know if I'll be that way. I assume we will have to move some stuff from Boston for sure. She's already got someone to sublet her apartment this summer in Boston and has been on some groups for people in DC looking to Sublet but didn't know if she got they job until today.
I will reach out to my cousin and sister. My cousin lives on Capitol hill and is young so may know some folks. My sister is not young but knows lots of folks on capitol hill, foreign service, people with interns, etc.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I'm just saying there's a good chance I'd be traveling down to DC for AB and WLU ASAP.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, once she accepted the offer they indicated it will probably be remote
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:13 pm Well, once she accepted the offer they indicated it will probably be remote
Pretty nice either way!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don't think this is quite appropriate for the "proud" parental unit thread, but my daughter, who turned 18 on Monday, just called me five minutes ago to tell me that she and two friends are going to drive down to Vegas - tonight - to stay with the sister of one of the friends.

Spring break starts today.

Gah.

She's not a big partier, so I'm not too worried about her getting into too much trouble that way, and of course she'll be in an apartment going to college in a few months anyway.

Cases appear to be low in Clark County and also in Utah. And she already had Covid once and did okay with it. And my wife's fully vaxxed and I had my first shot and I can have her quarantine herself after she gets back.

Gah.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Kind of a stretch but the daughter of our good cul-de-sac friends just got accepted to MI. They are packing the car for a week at Avalon and we walked over to congratulate her and let her borrow my favorite sweatshirt for beach pics.

Pretty awesome. I've literally known her from an infant, so... Close a damn 'nuff. "D
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

LAst time I was in Avalon just sat there looking at the pouring rain. Summertime had come and gone and everyone was home again.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Where is the exact opposite of this thread where we can tell AB's kids that he's dropping 90's Billy Joel lyrics on his internet friends?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:16 pm LAst time I was in Avalon just sat there looking at the pouring rain. Summertime had come and gone and everyone was home again.
I was in a noisy bar there. I tried to call you.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:36 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:16 pm LAst time I was in Avalon just sat there looking at the pouring rain. Summertime had come and gone and everyone was home again.
He’s already run away twice. Take the midnight watch.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bfj wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:58 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:36 pm
He’s already run away twice. Take the midnight watch.
Hm. Maybe I'll realize why.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

He ran the 3200 in 10.19. had the usual kick w 100 to go. It was awesome. I'll post video later!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Jesus! Can't wait to see the video.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Awesome man. Sorry we missed that (and you).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Just told my daughter that I know the father of the kid who won the 3200 and she said her whole team was cheering for his final stretch because he was going so fast.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

That’s amazing.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

obviously indont post videos often
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy shit he was fucking moving.

Our frosh girl medaled in both of her events. Second in the 800 and 3rd in the 4x400.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Holy shit that was great! Nice job, Nico! Loved hearing you and your wife's commentary. It took me at least 5 laps to figure out which one was your son. Hell of a last lap, and nice fucking work putting those East Brunswick bastards in their place when they moved at 3000m.