Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

"Just a freshman"
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 pm Holy shit he was fucking moving.

Our frosh girl medaled in both of her events. Second in the 800 and 3rd in the 4x400.
Congrats to both of your kids. Great stuff.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:51 pm Just told my daughter that I know the father of the kid who won the 3200 and she said her whole team was cheering for his final stretch because he was going so fast.
That's awesome - i showed him your post.. he got a big smile on.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

rass wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:00 pm Holy shit he was fucking moving.

Our frosh girl medaled in both of her events. Second in the 800 and 3rd in the 4x400.
We missed the 4x400, was trying to pick her out in the 800.. spent part of the meet telling my wife that my internet friend was somewhere around.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:08 pm Holy shit that was great! Nice job, Nico! Loved hearing you and your wife's commentary. It took me at least 5 laps to figure out which one was your son. Hell of a last lap, and nice fucking work putting those East Brunswick bastards in their place when they moved at 3000m.
he ran against them a couple of times already, they set the pace and he smokes them in the end. actually, he said they're nice kids and encouraged him. -- they are juniors
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:09 am
rass wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:51 pm Just told my daughter that I know the father of the kid who won the 3200 and she said her whole team was cheering for his final stretch because he was going so fast.
Nothing in the world better for a high school boy's ego than knowing that chicks were digging him.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:03 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:09 am
Nothing in the world better for a high school boy's ego than knowing that chicks were digging him.
Especially when you're just a freshman.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

elflaco2 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm Image

https://youtu.be/6BRTveFeBcc
Damn, that was amazing. I hope it's not weird that I think I teared up a bit watching your kid drop the hammer the last two laps. Track is amazing.
Totally Kafkaesque
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:15 pm
elflaco2 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm Image

https://youtu.be/6BRTveFeBcc
Damn, that was amazing. I hope it's not weird that I think I teared up a bit watching your kid drop the hammer the last two laps. Track is amazing.
That was awesome. Glad to see he went up to the other runners after the race, too.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

You guys are not allowed to post back to back like that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:08 pm "Just a freshman"
That's what jumped out at me.

He may be a freshman, but that was real man among boys stuff.

Wow!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

That last 400 split looked like it was 1:07!! Holy shit that’s amazing. No wasted motion in that stride whatsoever. That’s impressive for anybody. Spring t&f is gonna basically go into the summer for him.

Congrats to both him and Cass!
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

His splits:

testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

That is a great video and reminds me that I need to do more than just take pictures. He looked so relaxed at you could tell he was holding back for most of the race.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

big meet tomorrow - his allergies are killing him, our dr appt is tuesday so hoping to get them under control at the right time. The meet is big enough that split into am/pm sessions. think may miss Rass as i think his schools are in the am.
excited to see him run again but as any parent knows, you're always worried until its over.
will know later today which events he is running, know he wants the 1600 and the 3200 but the coach has his own ideas.
then soccer tournament out by Philadelphia on Sunday.. three games in one day.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:44 am big meet tomorrow - his allergies are killing him, our dr appt is tuesday so hoping to get them under control at the right time. The meet is big enough that split into am/pm sessions. think may miss Rass as i think his schools are in the am.
excited to see him run again but as any parent knows, you're always worried until its over.
will know later today which events he is running, know he wants the 1600 and the 3200 but the coach has his own ideas.
then soccer tournament out by Philadelphia on Sunday.. three games in one day.
Meet says no spectators, but the kid will be there (I'll watch on milesplit). She's supposed to be in the 4x800 and the 1600. Good luck man.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

there were a handful of parents, mostly ones from metuchen.
very different atmosphere on the stands when its mostly the various teams.

coach had them there since 8am - kid didn't run til 520. Ran the 1600 - was sluggish. came in second but still well under five minutes. he was frustrated and a bit upset.
then we were up at 6 and out by 7 for tournament out at downingtown, pa -- they went 2-1 losing in the final.. kid didn't score but should've. .got tons of playing time.

the 4x400 relay was around 545, two of those kids play in my u19 team -- when i saw them yesterday they also expressed frustration at sitting there all day. coach told them he wanted them there so they wouldn't eat junk food at home.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

No offense to the coach but that's fucking dumb. They went out of their way to split that event into two sessions.

Kid's first event was the 4x800 and they won pretty easily. The 1600 was less than an hour later and her legs just didn't have it. She ended up 6 or 7 seconds slower than her best indoor 1600 time from the winter (smaller track so she should be faster on a full-sized track).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:09 am No offense to the coach but that's fucking dumb. They went out of their way to split that event into two sessions.

Kid's first event was the 4x800 and they won pretty easily. The 1600 was less than an hour later and her legs just didn't have it. She ended up 6 or 7 seconds slower than her best indoor 1600 time from the winter (smaller track so she should be faster on a full-sized track).
My kid only gets to run in one track meet this year due to COVID, and I am perfectly happy with that. Since it's tomorrow, they take a bus, and he does not want his parents there. Again, I'm ok with that. His first season of club track, the coach didn't let us know what order the events were, because timing is unpredictable and he didn't want people to miss events. His first big meet, we got there at 8:00 am, temps were in the 90s, and no shade anywhere. Some kids didn't run until late afternoon. Sat there in the sun all fucking day for a 5 minute event, and they all did horribly because they were exhausted, and it was too far away to drive home. Coach got a little better, but still had everyone get there 3 hours early. I hated track meets.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Those are just dumb coaches, sorry. As you mentioned, often track meets have limited shade and kids get nervous sitting there all day. Yes, it can be hard to predict times at large meets (although the well-run ones tend to nail the start times), but there's no reason to make a kid sit in the sun for 9 hours before running.
Totally Kafkaesque
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

gonna have to bone up on track strategy...frustrating. not like soccer.

and i know because of covid the coach ends up shuffling kids all over the place. so far the boy has had excellent races in the 1600 and 3200.. so he had the freshmen running the 4x800 two weeks ago (they won that).. then last week the boy ran the varsity 1600, came in third (was slotted at third to begin with and all in the race finished as slotted)
big meet yesterday and today, coach has him running the varsity events, he had him run the second leg of the 4x1600 (they came in 4) and today has him running the 1200 in the medley (800,1200,400,1600).
his big times came in 'winter track' (outdoor) but his spring track times have him in top 15 in the state (freshmen)
the boy will run in sectionals.. top 6 go to state.. there's more beyond that but his aim is to make state this year.
and his allergies are still bad (just now on second week of shots, bad parents!) so i've no idea how he's running.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Boy ran his biggest meet so far this week.
GMCs for those in NJ
He is running the varsity events -- had the second leg of the 4x800 -- they came in fourth (no medal) but he PRd his leg at 2.12
yesterday he ran the unseeded heat of the 3200 -- game in 2nd at 10.33 - Good enough for 17th overall (winner is at 9.19 so he has work to do) but he was the top freshman at that distance. It was a hot day - a bit too. I've noticed he's much better on cooler days, especially if a friday or a saturday... then he went to soccer practice and despite complaining he was tired, he was still going full speed at 9p

has two more meets next week. no clue as to what he'll run -- he said the 1600 is just a warm up for the 3200.. he says that's going to be his event.
then sectionals. state after that if he places.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shit, as a freshman you are much more boy than man. Being up in the running at that age is pretty dope.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Last days tomorrow and next week. The boy got on honor roll for first time and reading and writing ain't so easy for him. The girl got all A+... Wtf? Both back to their local public schools and dad gets a large raise next year. Super proud. Everything I've asked.
Good kids. Good students. Good athletes. Good friends.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:52 pm Last days tomorrow and next week. The boy got on honor roll for first time and reading and writing ain't so easy for him. The girl got all A+... Wtf? Both back to their local public schools and dad gets a large raise next year. Super proud. Everything I've asked.
Good stuff, Citgo. Congrats!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:52 pm Last days tomorrow and next week. The boy got on honor roll for first time and reading and writing ain't so easy for him. The girl got all A+... Wtf? Both back to their local public schools and dad gets a large raise next year. Super proud. Everything I've asked.
Excellent. My youngest didn't do the greatest in classes this year but improved his ACT score by a few points.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nice!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My youngest (of 2) graduates high school tomorrow. Crazy. He's gotten nearly all As for his whole high school career, despite rarely seeming like he gives a shit. He'll be off to Carolina next fall - not too far away, fortunately.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm kind of amazed how many happy, positive stories we have about our kids in the Swamp.

(But, I suppose it's a bit like facebook - you don't post about it if, say, they got arrested for holding up a gas station.)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:07 am My youngest (of 2) graduates high school tomorrow. Crazy. He's gotten nearly all As for his whole high school career, despite rarely seeming like he gives a shit. He'll be off to Carolina next fall - not too far away, fortunately.
Mazel, Dave.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:28 am I'm kind of amazed how many happy, positive stories we have about our kids in the Swamp.

(But, I suppose it's a bit like facebook - you don't post about it if, say, they got arrested for holding up a gas station.)
TWILTS

But I feel like if something did happen like that (gd forbid) I could probably come here for some support.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yep
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Worried now that some angry hungover post-loss morning I’m gonna start a “swampspawn most likely to knock off a gas station” thread.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

flaco’s “nj guys know” reference was to the county championships taking place in NJ this week. The female competition in our county is arguably the best in the state.

Our kid was in the seeded heat of both the 1600 (run on Thu) and the 800 (Fri) and out performed her seed and PR’d in both races. As it stands today she’s got the second fastest frosh 800 (2:23:40) in NJ this season and is just outside top 50 in the state overall. She was also on the 4x400 (Fri) and they came in third.

First place in the 4x4 put down 3:47 which is the 14th fastest time in the country this season. Pretty sure the meet record they broke was from a relay team that included a current likely Olympian.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

What’s with all the Jersey Swamp kid track stars? Rass, Flaco, Sybian... kids killing it!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fast kids.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:09 pm What’s with all the Jersey Swamp kid track stars? Rass, Flaco, Sybian... kids killing it!
For the record, my kid is on the team, but didn’t even get to run in a meet this year. Flaco and Rass’ kids are killing it.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

so quick update on the boy on track and on the pitch..
ran the state sectionals friday and saturday... on friday, his team won the 4x800 - got his first state gold medal and PRd his (3rd) leg -- 2.08. The team goes on to the next State meet next saturday.

on saturday, he ran the top heat of the 3200 - came in 8th out of 35-- top freshman in the meet at 10.22; but missed the cut off by 10secs. not his fastest 3200 (but it was HOT and humid saturday and i know he wasn't hydrated enough). He is running the Season Finale Twilight Mile tomorrow (only event is the 1600) .

Last weekend played in the Delco tournament in Lancaster (same tourney that got rained out for the Syb family) - Finally broke through and scored a goal (he was a fullback/outside midfielder and his new team has been playing him at winback and striker...).. generally had a good weekend. They went undefeated until the final where they finally ran out of gas and lost 0-2... Good experience, although we did sadly face a couple of teams where the parents were complete asshats (lilly white teams from PA and VA) towards our very Jersey team (a little bit of everything mixed in!)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

elflaco2 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:02 pm so quick update on the boy on track and on the pitch..
ran the state sectionals friday and saturday... on friday, his team won the 4x800 - got his first state gold medal and PRd his (3rd) leg -- 2.08. The team goes on to the next State meet next saturday.

on saturday, he ran the top heat of the 3200 - came in 8th out of 35-- top freshman in the meet at 10.22; but missed the cut off by 10secs. not his fastest 3200 (but it was HOT and humid saturday and i know he wasn't hydrated enough). He is running the Season Finale Twilight Mile tomorrow (only event is the 1600) .

Last weekend played in the Delco tournament in Lancaster (same tourney that got rained out for the Syb family) - Finally broke through and scored a goal (he was a fullback/outside midfielder and his new team has been playing him at winback and striker...).. generally had a good weekend. They went undefeated until the final where they finally ran out of gas and lost 0-2... Good experience, although we did sadly face a couple of teams where the parents were complete asshats (lilly white teams from PA and VA) towards our very Jersey team (a little bit of everything mixed in!)
White parents are the worst.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My son (24) finally landed a good full time career-type job.

Kid's been struggling and has been oh so close a few times.

SCO (Strategic Content Optimization - I think) for a North Carolina based company that works with car companies. Right up his alley, and he'll be making decent money (and when the Canadian dollar tanks again, it'll be good money).

You could see his shoulders straighten up and two days later, his confidence level is clearly on the upswing.