Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by DaveInSeattle »

god...terrible conditions for the game today. Cold, breezy, and snowy.

0-0 at the half.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DaveInSeattle wrote:god...terrible conditions for the game today. Cold, breezy, and snowy.

0-0 at the half.
I think you're being generous.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:god...terrible conditions for the game today. Cold, breezy, and snowy.

0-0 at the half.
I think you're being generous.

Brutal stuff....

Going to OT...still 0-0
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Going to the second OT....still 0-0....
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I've played in worse weather in New England, and seen my daughter do the same all over the midwest in recent years. This is the normal risk of November games even the southern midwest. A couple of years ago, a major tournament was "iced out" -- in sunny North Carolina.

Still I'm surprised that they didn't book an indoor field for a game this late in the tournament, at this time of year. Do they ever do this in D-III?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DC47 wrote: Still I'm surprised that they didn't book an indoor field for a game this late in the tournament, at this time of year. Do they ever do this in D-III?
Hah...for D-III? Women's D-III? Not a chance...they do these on campus, and no small schools like that have indoor fields.

Last year they played the opening 2 rounds in California. Much nicer.

On to PK's...nail biting time...
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Good go at that shot off the post.

I know the D-III teams won't have adequate, full-size indoor fields. But they're easy to find all over the midwest in soccer hotbeds. St. Louis is certainly one. For example, Metro Detroit has two places that low-level pro teams, ECNL, and Academy teams use. They're also used for college showcase tournaments in the winter. One has a field that seats a couple thousand and has a bar with craft beer.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Well done.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

This is fucking brutal...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aw shit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

FUCK.....

Centre wins on PK's 6-5.

UPS had a chance to win...but missed on the 5th pk. Poor Liz (the gal who missed it). She's gonna wake up in the middle of the night 20 years from now thinking about that....
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

She may. It may also help her become a bit stronger. Sometimes it's the unlucky ones who don't have enough things like this happen along the way. And hopefully it won't over-ride her other memories -- perhaps some great ones -- of her soccer career.

My nephew, who was in the D-III men's tournament last year, says the soccer team was one of the great experiences in his life. And he's had several few so far. He's trying out for a different team right now -- the Navy SEALS. His experience captaining a D-III team that over his four years went from also-rans to tying the #1 team in the country was no doubt a major influence on this path. He wasn't a star. But he certainly got a full share of the good things that you can learn from being part of a team.

I don't think collegiate sports work out this well for many people. Probably as negative as positive, over all. But the potential is there for 'even' playing a D-III sport to play a big role in forming character.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife, who is class mom for one of them and bakes for the other, asked the kids if anyone in their classes does not celebrate Christmas.

C: I don't think so.

M: Yes.

My wife: Who?

M: Umm... Messiah!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

PS - I forgot about that avatar at the beginning of the thread. Gold.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:PS - I forgot about that avatar at the beginning of the thread. Gold.
I saw Bobby 5-sides avatar in another thread somewhere and laughed. That picture of Wenger is classic.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My son is obsessed with watches. (College student and he works two days a week at a wtch company here in Toronto)

He's opened an etsy site to sell some of the vintage watches that he's picked up at auctions, estate sales and online. He cleans them up, services them and (hopefully) sells them.

I am his head shipper!

Check it out - even if you aren't in the market. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/boutiquehorlogerie
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote:My son is obsessed with watches. (College student and he works two days a week at a wtch company here in Toronto)

He's opened an etsy site to sell some of the vintage watches that he's picked up at auctions, estate sales and online. He cleans them up, services them and (hopefully) sells them.

I am his head shipper!

Check it out - even if you aren't in the market. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

What does he think of Hodinkee? I'm quasi-obsessed with that site.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote:My son is obsessed with watches. (College student and he works two days a week at a wtch company here in Toronto)

I am his head shipper!

I like the old school style. I complete forgot, I have a vintage Soviet Army watch at my parents house. My host family gave it to me, it was the host student's grandfathers. Russians have zero sentimental value to their military memorabilia and awards, especially after the fall of the Soviet Union. My host father handed me a bag full of his medals. I told him I couldn't take them, they were too important. He bitterly told me it is garbage to him. Between forced service, awarding medals for menial tasks in order to keep morale up, and the fact that they are cheap plastic pins, I get it. Still, it was cool as shit for a 16 year old American.

If the watch doesn't work, does your son take orders? I have a Bulova Acutron that may need fixing as well. I don't know if he has access to Acutron parts, as I'm told it has to be taken to Bulova for repairs as it works on unique mechanisms, namely a tuning fork. I really like watches, but never wear them. The clasp broke on my watch years ago, and with having a cell phone on me at all times, I never bothered. After finally getting it fixed, it broke again. I knew some rich and spoiled people in law school who were way into watches. One had a $35,000 dollar watch his parents gave him for college graduation. I have no idea how someone can walk around with that much value on their wrist. Then again, if it was lost or stolen, his parents would probably by another. He had 2 other watches worth over $20,000.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It's pretty much his home page. When I say "obsessed" it is not an exaggeration.

When I was a kid, I could tell you the batting averages of all major leaguers. I knew the 20 top running backs' yardage every year etc.

So I know where he gets the obsessive nature from. But he's taken it to a new level. My son is definitely NOT a sports fan, but JJ Redick is his favourite athlete because his watch collection was featured on that website.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote: I like the old school style. I complete forgot, I have a vintage Soviet Army watch at my parents house. My host family gave it to me, it was the host student's grandfathers. Russians have zero sentimental value to their military memorabilia and awards, especially after the fall of the Soviet Union. My host father handed me a bag full of his medals. I told him I couldn't take them, they were too important. He bitterly told me it is garbage to him. Between forced service, awarding medals for menial tasks in order to keep morale up, and the fact that they are cheap plastic pins, I get it. Still, it was cool as shit for a 16 year old American.

If the watch doesn't work, does your son take orders? I have a Bulova Acutron that may need fixing as well. I don't know if he has access to Acutron parts, as I'm told it has to be taken to Bulova for repairs as it works on unique mechanisms, namely a tuning fork. I really like watches, but never wear them. The clasp broke on my watch years ago, and with having a cell phone on me at all times, I never bothered. After finally getting it fixed, it broke again. I knew some rich and spoiled people in law school who were way into watches. One had a $35,000 dollar watch his parents gave him for college graduation. I have no idea how someone can walk around with that much value on their wrist. Then again, if it was lost or stolen, his parents would probably by another. He had 2 other watches worth over $20,000.
He is working on repairing a few old Russian watches and loves that stuff.

As for the Bulova - he may be able to fix it as he has all the tools and even a loop for his glasses, but you'd probable be wiser to find someone in your hometown to fix it up - just in case.

But there will be more watches on the site soon. My wife's brilliant idea as she is bankrolling it and they are splitting the profits with his portion going into a tuition fund and we gain a decent tax write off for running a business out of the house.

It is weird to see him open a box of 40 watches in various states of disrepair and itemize what each one could be worth. As for myself, I have two watches. One I got from Marathon (the company he works part time at that is run by a buddy of my brother.) A $100 watch I got for half price. I also have a watch I got for my 40th, a Concord Saratoga that cost in the neighbourhood of $2,000. Very special, very much full of sentimental value.

To my son the watch snob, it's decent. But he spends his time thinking about $50,000 time pieces.

Man, you just never know what your kids will get into. Thankfully, it's not meth or similar!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Thankfully, it's not meth or similar!
Why, Meth is way more profitable than watch repair. My Bulova has sentimental value, as it was an engagement gift from my wife. We got it at a sample sale in New York, so it was at an enormous discount. It would have been a lot more than I would ever spend.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote:
It's pretty much his home page. When I say "obsessed" it is not an exaggeration.

When I was a kid, I could tell you the batting averages of all major leaguers. I knew the 20 top running backs' yardage every year etc.

So I know where he gets the obsessive nature from. But he's taken it to a new level. My son is definitely NOT a sports fan, but JJ Redick is his favourite athlete because his watch collection was featured on that website.
Talking watches is a very cool series. It helped make John Mayer somewhat likeable to me.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That's a really cool hobby for a kid that age.

(I have two Hamiltons but I have no idea what their rep is, I just liked the way they looked (and they were discounted). They combine to cover the full casual-to-dress range which seems like a good thing; watches seems like something you could get way too into really easily.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I had a nice Seiko. But I don't wear it anymore.

I replaced it with the Timex watches once worn by my father and father-in-law. Priceless.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

How did your son get into watches?
Last edited by DC47 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I am his head shipper!

Get him a ticket to NYC.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Get him a ticket to NYC.
He'll be there one of these years, that's for sure.

My son - who is 18 - was right into cars at a young age. Still loves them, but he then got into fountain pens as he loves the mechanisms, as well as the esoteric language that the pen enthusiasts use. When he was 15, my wife gave him her father's old Hamilton and he started reading up on the watch. Within a few months, he started to immerse himself in watch culture. Then, one of his uncles (a "big shot" who doesn't have kids and who used to work in a cash only business) gave him an Omega speedmaster (nice watch!) and the mania took off.

It's a combination of appreciating the finer things, being a part of a special club of sorts, and loving the mechanics of how things work. He's repaired watches for friends, and family, and the best thing is that the company he's working for (a stable, quality place) has hired him as a "social media director" and the guy who runs the place has taken him under his wing and has basically offered him full time work after he graduates.

https://www.marathonwatch.com/

Honestly, it all seems too good to be true.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I would love an old Omega Speedmaster. They're gorgeous watches. Their dressier vintage watches are great too.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pruitt, you're indeed a lucky man.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DC47 wrote:Pruitt, you're indeed a lucky man.
Blessings being counted.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I talk a lot on here (percentage-wise) about my daughter's travel soccer team. She also happens to be pretty darn good softball player (plays travel, as well.)

Just got the following text from the progeny:

YA GIRL MADE VARSITY!! (and then a series of emoticons I can't distinguish.)

So... That's pretty awesome.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Usage of "ya girl" shouldn't fall far behind making varsity on the proud scale.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote:Usage of "ya girl" shouldn't fall far behind making varsity on the proud scale.

She's a piece of work, that's for sure. She has long brown hair and one of her favorite bits is to sneak up behind her mother in the bathroom with her hair in front of her face The Ring style.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I found out that, earlier today, my 3.5 year old got into an argument with my father-in-law over whether Guy Fieri eats "food that looks pretty good" or "garbage from a garbage can". Best kid.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Kid just pranked me. Taped down the handle on the kitchen sink sprayer so it was stuck in the on position.

She's currently busy putting nail polish on pencil tips.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Awesome. I can't figure out how the first one works, but I am so stealing the second to use on my kids tomorrow.

Is it a thing to start the pranks early?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don't know. She was on FaceTime planning for tomorrow* with a classmate before dinner. Maybe she got caught up in the spirit.

I shaving creamed her bath towel and then declared a strict moratorium on pranks.

*with me playing the wet blanket, suggesting their plan to put an official looking DO NOT ENTER sign on their classroom might lead to someone actually not entering and then being late. I probably deserved the watering.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm getting home late tonight, so before I go to bed, I'll put Saran Wrap across the toilet my daughter will use. (That stuff will stick to the bum before they get a chance to start peeing).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Now that is evil. I remember it from the '99 Mossad academy session. I just loved pranking the Russkies until they started going all polonium on people.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

If you can unscrew the top of the shower head. Take it off, put in some powdered Hi-C (red works really well), screw the shower head back on.