Donny

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by duff »

Saves are so overrated.

Congrats to the nephew and proud uncle.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:58 am Saves are so overrated.

Congrats to the nephew and proud uncle.
Six up, six down in a three run game! And they saved their best pitcher some innings for the knockouts.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

the boy finished up golf camp for the week.. called before 2 asking if he could stay to play 9 on his own -- the coach/pro said he could... we said sure..
just came back from getting him -- he walked the course himself -- had easily the best round so far of the summer.. becoming very independent. Still a little shrimp at 4'8" but tons of confidence... they grow up so fast. sorta dusty in this basement office.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Oldest had a 90 point jump on his SAT’s. 80 points of which were in math, which is his weakest subject by A LOT.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Badass!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:28 pmBadass!
He’s very psyched. It may have made his “reach school” into a lock.

We are going up to Philly on Monday to tour Drexel.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Even better! How far is that drive?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:15 pm Even better! How far is that drive?
90 minutes
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That’s not far at all! Good luck.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:20 pm That’s not far at all! Good luck.
He really wants to be close (for his brother).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:28 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:20 pm That’s not far at all! Good luck.
He really wants to be close (for his brother).
Love it. Good luck, buddy.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Great school and right next to 30th St. station to cut down on the trips back.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:43 pm Great school and right next to 30th St. station to cut down on the trips back.
Wait, he's going to come back?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The 7th grader tied the girls home XC course record today (2.1 miles in 14:53). The record belonged to an 8th grade girl and was set in 2000. She knocked 9 seconds off her time from last Thursday, and has two more home meets this season.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That’s great! I remember she had some issues with running (or not wanting to run) last year. All better now?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 pm The 7th grader tied the girls home XC course record today (2.1 miles in 14:53). The record belonged to an 8th grade girl and was set in 2000. She knocked 9 seconds off her time from last Thursday, and has two more home meets this season.
That is fast
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:27 pm The 7th grader tied the girls home XC course record today (2.1 miles in 14:53). The record belonged to an 8th grade girl and was set in 2000. She knocked 9 seconds off her time from last Thursday, and has two more home meets this season.
Impressive!

My son runs his last high school cross county race on Friday. He hasn't really had the times I thought he might this year, but he's done pretty well. It may be that he's just a better track runner.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bfj wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm That’s great! I remember she had some issues with running (or not wanting to run) last year. All better now?
Yeah, we hope so... Some combination of her maturing and us stumbling across a smaller track club with a couple of awesome coaches over the summer has got her here. It seems like a nice group of kids both on the club and at school.

And I know the soccer thread gets a lot of bumps (from me sometimes) but it seems like XC is the fall sport of choice for Swamplings. At a minimum - Turd, Shirley, Syb, flaco...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That's scootin!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 am
bfj wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:42 pm That’s great! I remember she had some issues with running (or not wanting to run) last year. All better now?
Yeah, we hope so... Some combination of her maturing and us stumbling across a smaller track club with a couple of awesome coaches over the summer has got her here. It seems like a nice group of kids both on the club and at school.

And I know the soccer thread gets a lot of bumps (from me sometimes) but it seems like XC is the fall sport of choice for Swamplings. At a minimum - Turd, Shirley, Syb, flaco...
What are they running from, guys?!?!?!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I'm itching to get my oldest into a XC club down here. All of the groups that I'm aware of are fledgling at best though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

A_B wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:09 am

What are they running from, guys?!?!?!
Yes?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

But soccer is interesting to watch...

And I see zero politics in our XC/Track program.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:42 am And I see zero politics in our XC/Track program.
Just wait until you start having gender v. sex debates, age cheating, and PEDs (Sure the kid is short but is that an allowable reason for HGH).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:20 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:42 am And I see zero politics in our XC/Track program.
Just wait until you start having gender v. sex debates, age cheating, and PEDs (Sure the kid is short but is that an allowable reason for HGH).
Eh, my son is competitive, so I'm not going to care about anything like that.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Tried to get him into it (to train for soccer) and he said but dad that's JUST RUNNING! Besides the seasons been a disaster. I've become that dad (I need to do better). The boy now practices with U13. No clue what to do when they start indoor and jump to U14. But the girl started hoops yesterday though so a new dawn arises.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The kid knocked another 19 seconds off her time yesterday.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 am The kid knocked another 19 seconds off her time yesterday.
Nice! Sounds like you got the PED cycle just right.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 am The kid knocked another 19 seconds off her time yesterday.
Sandbaggin, clearly.
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

alright, alright --
posted on fb over the weekend... the boy came in 20th in the middle school varsity(7th and 8th) race in the county (out of 82)-- pacing 5:45 mile -- improved his time from last season by a couple of minutes and a full minute from first home meet.. no club for him (no time, as he plays on two soccer clubs and his academics need a kick in the pants so the mrs is on top of any free time)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

You guys have some runners!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:22 am alright, alright --
posted on fb over the weekend... the boy came in 20th in the middle school varsity(7th and 8th) race in the county (out of 82)-- pacing 5:45 mile -- improved his time from last season by a couple of minutes and a full minute from first home meet.. no club for him (no time, as he plays on two soccer clubs and his academics need a kick in the pants so the mrs is on top of any free time)
That's awesome.

And 2 soccer clubs????
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

While, we're at it...

My son's state meet was on Friday. It was 45 degrees and it poured rain all day. The course was a comedy of mud, standing water, and essentially creeks running through and across the course. Out of 155 runners, my son came in 11th, just making the cut for all-state. He knew he had to make the top 11 and coming in, he had the 17th best time. The finish was a great all-out sprint among 3-4 boys with my son edging out the 12th place kid by less than half of a second.

Pretty awesome way to end his high school cross country career.

(All that said, this is 2A level for private schools. Not exactly the big time. It would be much more difficult to do as well against public school runners.)
Totally Kafkaesque
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

rass wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:36 am
elflaco wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:22 am alright, alright --
That's awesome.

And 2 soccer clubs????
our local club, MTSC playing in MNJYSA and Cedar Stars Academy, playing EDP (but not in the academy team) The mrs has just about had it though.. practice four nights a week (two each.. would be 3 for csa but it conflicts with local one friday nights.. i'm always on the pitch on friday night dealing with club stuff and parents).. two sometimes three or four games on a weekend. He starts for mtsc (i think 6 goals and 5 assists to date this season) but comes off the bench for CSA (although he did start the two games this weekend).. we'lll see how it goes next season. we're likely taking the winter off. don't want him to burn out.. this year he has played all year except for four weeks in summer... and he needs to focus on school. unfortunately he takes after my (early) school self.. solid Cs.. unlike his mom was all AP.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:09 pm While, we're at it...

My son's state meet was on Friday. It was 45 degrees and it poured rain all day. The course was a comedy of mud, standing water, and essentially creeks running through and across the course. Out of 155 runners, my son came in 11th, just making the cut for all-state. He knew he had to make the top 11 and coming in, he had the 17th best time. The finish was a great all-out sprint among 3-4 boys with my son edging out the 12th place kid by less than half of a second.

Pretty awesome way to end his high school cross country career.

(All that said, this is 2A level for private schools. Not exactly the big time. It would be much more difficult to do as well against public school runners.)
In Kentucky the best runners are from private schools, by and large. But private schools and public run against each other across three classes. My best friend in high school came in fifth in the state his senior year, in much the same conditions as you described.

Good job by your dude.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yeah, no caveats necessary Shirley.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Adding to the group of runners here... My boys are in the school's Running Club, and they had their season ending Fun Run this morning. The 10 yr old set a personal best 35:56 for his 5K, my 6 yr old ran 2 miles for the first time and finished in 20:26.

Edit: 10:26->20:26. He's good, but he's not that good.
Last edited by phxgators on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

phxgators wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:38 am Adding to the group of runners here... My boys are in the school's Running Club, and they had their season ending Fun Run this morning. The 10 yr old set a personal best 35:56 for his 5K, my 6 yr old ran 2 miles for the first time and finished in 10:26.
Wait your 6 year old ran 5:13 miles? I am not sure I have hit that in my entire life for a single mile.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

<duplicate post>
Last edited by phxgators on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Ah... 20:26. Dumb, fat fingers.