Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by sancarlos »

Not too shocking that many graduates stay in the closest metro area to the school. That's where the best alumni/job network will reside, plus they've gotten comfortable with the area.

Although when I first moved to California, I was surprised at all the Colorado and Colorado State grads I met. Then, I remembered how many Californians I met while I was in school. They don't call it University of California at Boulder for nothing.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Some of this also factors in:
* Companies in local areas also go there local schools to recruit because it is cheaper and usually good.
* Alumni tend to like students from and provide opportunities for kids from there school
* Local schools tend to be thought of higher in there region than nationally (The kid from UMBC's very strong CS department is probably at a disadvantage to the CS major from a more nationally known school in Silicon Valley)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I feel like that should somehow factor in the percentage of students who attend from the local metro versus outside of it. Like I know six Northeastern grads, 2 from the area and 4 not. Both from are still local but only one of the nots are.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:26 pm While we're bragging about track kids ... my son (17-year-old junior) broke 4:50 in the 1600 last week. 4:49.3. That's not D1 level or anything, but he keeps improving. It's like he realized a couple of meets ago that he could go harder from the beginning and not slow down in the middle two laps before kicking in the fourth. It'll be interesting to see what he does in the last two meets - the conference meet and then state.
He came in 2nd in the conference in both the 1600 and 800, lowering his PR a bit in each. Then he uncorked a 4:40.07 in the state meet on Saturday, finishing 6th. He also came in 6th in the 800 with a 2:06. He really figured out that he can run faster at the end of the year. I wish we had more meets!
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That’s really great Dave.

For those of you who I am connected to on Facebook, you saw that Saturday was Brianna’s wedding. It ended up being a really nice ceremony (Quaker styles) and then the reception back at the house was a real party. Fun night and good for a worried dad like me to see the easy love and support from Bri and Nora’s friends.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

tennbengal wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:08 pm That’s really great Dave.

For those of you who I am connected to on Facebook, you saw that Saturday was Brianna’s wedding. It ended up being a really nice ceremony (Quaker styles) and then the reception back at the house was a real party. Fun night and good for a worried dad like me to see the easy love and support from Bri and Nora’s friends.
Saw that! Glad it went well, I know it was a worry.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, I missed that. Congrats!
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congrats!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Congrats, that's beautiful. It's amazing to see how drastically and quickly our culture has changed for the better. I clicked your post on my phone, and my 9 yo daughter asked to see the wedding pics. She looked, asked if she knew the brides, and when I said no, she shrugged and went back to her show. It gives me so much hope for the future that today's kids (not all, of course) just accept.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats TB! Typical FB user here, I looked at the pictures and didn't quite get to the very last sentence in your post where you explained exactly what was going on.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:44 am Congrats TB! Typical FB user here, I looked at the pictures and didn't quite get to the very last sentence in your post where you explained exactly what was going on.
It was a short post!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

tennbengal wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 am
rass wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:44 am Congrats TB! Typical FB user here, I looked at the pictures and didn't quite get to the very last sentence in your post where you explained exactly what was going on.
It was a short post!
I know. I'm the worst. I just assumed prom?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You sure this isn't all a plot to get trim TB photos on the web?

Congratulations!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 am You sure this isn't all a plot to get trim TB photos on the web?

Congratulations!
It has been the longest of cons. Sawyer from Lost approves.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 am You sure this isn't all a plot to get trim TB photos on the web?

Congratulations!
Ha! I almost made a comment about TB looking good, but it felt weird to comment on a Bride's father looking good in her wedding pictures.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Mazeltov, TB!

(I had no idea - I deleted Facebook a couple months ago.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Boston wed-fri this week. Daughter has orientation stuff Thursday evening and parent were on own so I have sox -Tigers tickets. Need some chowdah/lobster roll suggestions around BU campus. Go.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Legal Seafood at the Prudential Center isn't far from campus.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It’s not exactly near BU, but Neptune is a direct green line trip and the best we had in the city by a margin.

(Worth noting whether or not you go, the green line heading east all ends in the same place but heading west it splits into either 4 or 5 different routes. Don’t take the wrong one because you have to backtrack to correct yourself.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Eventide is a hot spot in Portland and opened on Boylston pretty recently. Never been but want to.

Your true experience should be at some shack in Swampscott or something so don’t go all out in Kenmore just to say you did

Or get one at the game like all the locals!
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’d do that before Legal.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Not seafood but at some point in your Boston visits you should go to Billy's Sub Shop (57 Berkeley St. Near Back Bay T stop).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 pm Legal Seafood at the Prudential Center isn't far from campus.
Eh, you can go to a mall and eat at Legal Seafood. No reason to limit yourself to the BU area. You can take a 10-15 minute train ride to the Harbor, or even walk. Barking Crab was always a big hit for tourists. A no frills seafood place kind of on a barge in the water.

ETA: But a must visit is Trillium Brewery. The Fort Point location is right near downtown, but only sells cans, bottles and growlers, they don't serve. They have a beergarden location now downtown, so look for that. I am supposed to head to Boston on Sunday, so I'll just miss you.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you're a 2 year old like me and just kinda like staring at stuff, the beer garden is great. It sits on the greenway which is just a medium sized strip of grass in between both directions of Atlantic Ave so you can stare at cars *and* watch planes either take off or land at Logan if you peek through a building. And the beer is great. Townsman is pretty close by too which is really solid food.

If you're going to venture into Cambridge/Somerville, I'll have 200 more recs.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:52 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 pm Legal Seafood at the Prudential Center isn't far from campus.
Eh, you can go to a mall and eat at Legal Seafood. No reason to limit yourself to the BU area. You can take a 10-15 minute train ride to the Harbor, or even walk. Barking Crab was always a big hit for tourists. A no frills seafood place kind of on a barge in the water.

ETA: But a must visit is Trillium Brewery. The Fort Point location is right near downtown, but only sells cans, bottles and growlers, they don't serve. They have a beergarden location now downtown, so look for that. I am supposed to head to Boston on Sunday, so I'll just miss you.
Yeah, AB, please note that my recommendations are from experiences 18 years ago. Listen to these guys.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Neptune's should be choice 1, 2, & 3 for your lobster roll / other seafood needs.

If you do go to fort point for Triullium there's a Craft Beer Cellar a few blocks away so you can back your suitcase with New England beers to celebrate UK's next 6 star recruiting class. Flour Bakery is also over there for your pastry needs.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

God I love Flour. Had breakfast there both mornings during our April trip.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I'm in Boston in 2 weeks, can't wait to get the family shit out of the way so I can go eat and have beers.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 pm I'm in Boston in 2 weeks, can't wait to get the family shit out of the way so I can go eat and have beers.
I just planned on filling a second suitcase at Trillium, but any other local or New England beers I need to try?
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I also will be trying some new beers.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:52 pm

I’ll probably buy the 15 buck weekly t pass so yeah I’ll have some mobility. Thanks you bosscats
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 pmI just planned on filling a second suitcase at Trillium, but any other local or New England beers I need to try?
Treehouse, of course. Lamplighter is really good too, but a level down from Trillium. None of the others I’ve had would be worth squeezing them out of space.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:30 pm
Rush2112 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:57 pm I'm in Boston in 2 weeks, can't wait to get the family shit out of the way so I can go eat and have beers.
I just planned on filling a second suitcase at Trillium, but any other local or New England beers I need to try?
Ya Trillium and Treehouse are the biggies. I've not been back for a bit so I'm a bit out of the loop. I do know there are some under the radar brews. If you're friends with RSL on facebook I'd hit him up. I'll send him a text as well to get the low down.

Are you going to be mobile? Have some Syb time? If so I'd journey out to Worcester and hit up Armsby Abbey. They typically have a Hill Farmstead or three on tap.

I'm back east for the better part of two weeks and hitting VT. So I'm hitting the mothership in Greensboro as well as Foam and grabbing some Upper Pass. I know these don't get out of VT, but I believe some others have been hitting shelves in Boston.

Not sure what makes it down, but I've liked what I've had from 14th Star, Hermit Thrush, Burlington Beer, Fiddlehead, etc.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

So another buddy said
Vanished Valley and Brick & Feather are the hot little guys. Medusa is pretty good, but not worth going out of your way for. Finnback and Singlecut are worth it if you can't get at home. Sip of Sunshine is around currently and usually is for a bit, worth it if you've never had, but not as great as in the past. Half Acre is showing up, so something new to try as well.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, Sip of Sunshine is one of my bigger disappointments of the last year or so. Way down, and not just in the whole "the ceiling has been raised" way.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am Yeah, Sip of Sunshine is one of my bigger disappointments of the last year or so. Way down, and not just in the whole "the ceiling has been raised" way.
Ditto...I felt pretty let down by Sip of Sunshine but Super Session #8 made up for it a little bit.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am Yeah, Sip of Sunshine is one of my bigger disappointments of the last year or so. Way down, and not just in the whole "the ceiling has been raised" way.
Went from Lawson brewed to contract brewed, so different. I did a clone of Lawson's recipe and I much preferred to the SoS I had, and I'm a good, not great brewer!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

For a couple of years, Double Sunshine was my overall #1. I'd be afraid to have it now.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:05 am For a couple of years, Double Sunshine was my overall #1. I'd be afraid to have it now.
It's still hot fire. At least last time I had it. Again, SoS is the only one that Sean isn't doing in-house.

Though. he just did a collab with Two Roads (that brews the distro SoS) that's a farmhouse IPA aged on cedar and spruce. It doesn't sound good to me at all.