Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Keep it up and she might have a $6 per hour contract from USA Soccer waiting for her.
Only if they win.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

My daughter took the ACT a few weeks back and just got her scores. Her one goal was to tie my score from my junior year of high school, which I was pretty proud of, a 31 composite. She beat it by one. She's a sophomore, and a 18 months younger than I was when I got that score.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Nicely done, young Miss AB!

I've had 2 kids take it so far (well, 3, but we don't have the most recent score yet). They did well and the average of their scores equals my score from my sophomore year. I'm curious to see the next one's score, since he's a terrible student but usually a fairly good test taker.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I never understood the ACT, is it instead of the SAT, or an additional test some states require? Going to a state school in NY, I didn't know a single person who took the ACT, and after that, nobody talks about their ACT or SATs. Did they change the curve, like pretty much everything else? Trying to get AB some leverage.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Some schools focus on the SAT, some on the ACT, and some consider both. My daughter is a sophomore and kicked ass on the PSAT. I hope she does as well next year when she takes the SAT and ACT.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah, it all depends on the school for the focus. Most schools will consider either these days, but I am sure that some still prefer the SAT. She is taking both in her Junior year. She is in a program where she has to take a standardized test every year (except for the senior year). Last year was PSAT, and she did pretty good. This year was ACT, next year is both. I think at least the ACT is free for her next year, too.

I don't know if they changed the curve or not to inflate. I always thought a 32 one year didn't mean it was a 32 the next year, anyway.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

It's definitely a regional thing. Some schools will only take the SAT, most will take either. Michigan used to administer the ACT in conjunction with the other mandated standardized testing in the junior year, but this year they switched to the SAT. Considering how test obsessed our district is, I was shocked that they didn't even get a 10 minute lesson on SAT specific strategies.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

It used to be much more regional than it is now. The ACT used to be almost entirely midwestern, but now both tests are pretty much national and I'm nearly positive any university will accept either.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote:It used to be much more regional than it is now. The ACT used to be almost entirely midwestern, but now both tests are pretty much national and I'm nearly positive any university will accept either.
Agreed on bolded part. In the early 90's, growing up in Ohio, I remember pretty much all the midwestern schools preferring potential students to take the ACT, so that was the one offered locally and most students took that one. One classmate and I also opted to take the SAT and that required a 30-minute drive to another school.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Moreta wrote:Considering how test obsessed our district is, I was shocked that they didn't even get a 10 minute lesson on SAT specific strategies.
When I was in high school, there was an elective SAT Prep class offered. Most people took it, but Forensics was much more fun. Looking back, I was a lazy idiot. I refused to take a test prep course, arguing to my parents that it was a waste of money. They bought me a great self teaching computer program. I took one practice test, and decided I did well enough to get into a state school, so why bother studying? That's the attitude that is holding me back to this very day.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My parents should have killed me out of frustration. I was a lazy as F student, I think I finished in the low 50s or high 60s out of 90 in my graduating class, didn't take SAT prep and was 9th or 10th overall. Although it never seemed fair that it focused on my two best subjects and ignored the ones (science) I was legitimately dumb in versus just lazy.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I took the SAT twice, and took an SAT prep class between the tests. I scored 160 points better on the second test, so the class definitely helped. From what I remember, all the class did was teach you how to use logic to eliminate potential answers from the SAT test.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

mister d wrote:My parents should have killed me out of frustration. I was a lazy as F student, I think I finished in the low 50s or high 60s out of 90 in my graduating class, didn't take SAT prep and was 9th or 10th overall. Although it never seemed fair that it focused on my two best subjects and ignored the ones (science) I was legitimately dumb in versus just lazy.
My oldest got a 36 on the ACT and dropped out of high school. I'm very proud.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Moreta wrote:
mister d wrote:My parents should have killed me out of frustration. I was a lazy as F student, I think I finished in the low 50s or high 60s out of 90 in my graduating class, didn't take SAT prep and was 9th or 10th overall. Although it never seemed fair that it focused on my two best subjects and ignored the ones (science) I was legitimately dumb in versus just lazy.
Isn't that the highest score on an ACT? Pretty impressive!

We're still waiting on the scores for my son. He's in 9th grade, so these don't matter, but we have him take it every year so that he learns how to take it. His school is too hippy for any sort of formal test prep fascism.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Moreta wrote:
Maybe he is the next Bill Gates?
-Pruitt
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

The Sybian wrote:
Moreta wrote:
Maybe he is the next Bill Gates?
I can only hope.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I taught my daughter to say "That's not what your mom said, Trebek" in a perfect Darrell Hammond/Sean Connery voice. I feel removing the "last night" from the sentence made it OK.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Final Jazz Ensemble performance for the year. Oldest boy took solos on two of the numbers. I thought they sound pretty tight, but I'm a bit biased. I was pretty impressed by the young trombonist (?) with the crew cut and the trumpeteer (?) who was next to Jack.

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

There was a district-wide fourth grade track meet today in town. My kid won the 400M by 50M or so.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Denis
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Denis »

Giff wrote:I taught my daughter to say "That's not what your mom said, Trebek" in a perfect Darrell Hammond/Sean Connery voice. I feel removing the "last night" from the sentence made it OK.
That's hilarious. How old is your daughter?

I took my daughter to her first Devils game a couple of years ago, she was eight and the Devils dropped six goals on the Canadiens. Each time the Devils score they do a goal song that sounds like Gary Glitter's Rock n Roll but they add a "you suck" at the end. Of course she wanted to do the cheer thing. First goal I was like "no". Second time I was like "okay but don't say you suck". Third time I was like I guess it's okay when you're in a crowd. Fourth time I was like whatever, they're from Montreal go for it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Denis wrote:I took my daughter to her first Devils game a couple of years ago, she was eight and the Devils dropped six goals on the Canadiens. Each time the Devils score they do a goal song that sounds like Gary Glitter's Rock n Roll but they add a "you suck" at the end. Of course she wanted to do the cheer thing. First goal I was like "no". Second time I was like "okay but don't say you suck". Third time I was like I guess it's okay when you're in a crowd. Fourth time I was like whatever, they're from Montreal go for it.
Ha. I've had that conversation, though the Devils were scoring on the Pens so I didn't give in on the chant.

Also, my wife took video of my kid's run and she smoked them. Straight as boom.

The HS school coaches approached her after the race and asked her what sports she played, and reminded her that soccer and track generally don't conflict.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Denis wrote:
Giff wrote:I taught my daughter to say "That's not what your mom said, Trebek" in a perfect Darrell Hammond/Sean Connery voice. I feel removing the "last night" from the sentence made it OK.
That's hilarious. How old is your daughter?

I took my daughter to her first Devils game a couple of years ago, she was eight and the Devils dropped six goals on the Canadiens. Each time the Devils score they do a goal song that sounds like Gary Glitter's Rock n Roll but they add a "you suck" at the end. Of course she wanted to do the cheer thing. First goal I was like "no". Second time I was like "okay but don't say you suck". Third time I was like I guess it's okay when you're in a crowd. Fourth time I was like whatever, they're from Montreal go for it.
She's about to turn 5. I showed her the skit last night because she wanted to see the Dana Carvey "Choppin' broccoli" sketch. The latter has been a staple in her vocabulary since she could speak because I'd make up a story based on some random workbook she had. There was a picture of broccoli on it, so I broke into that song every time. "Daddy, play 'she chop UH!!'"

She also laughed at the Cowbell skit. I'm doing good.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: She's about to turn 5. I showed her the skit last night because she wanted to see the Dana Carvey "Choppin' broccoli" sketch. The latter has been a staple in her vocabulary since she could speak because I'd make up a story based on some random workbook she had. There was a picture of broccoli on it, so I broke into that song every time. "Daddy, play 'she chop UH!!'"

She also laughed at the Cowbell skit. I'm doing good.
You're in the golden years Giff. About from when they are 4 to 11ish. When they think Dad is brilliant, cool and funny.

They get over that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote:You're in the golden years Giff. About from when they are 4 to 11ish. When they think Dad is brilliant, cool and funny.

They get over that.
S
H
U
T

U
P
!
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

My high school senior had her last choir concert last night. Afterward, there was a brief award ceremony and she got an award for greatest contribution to the music program.

My daughter isn't a great singer (she takes after me), but she started an extracurricular class in music theory, organized the choir trip to Mackinac, served as the Chorale president, and coordinated the fundraisers. All this while living an hour away from the school most of the school year. I'm proud of that kid.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Moreta wrote:My high school senior had her last choir concert last night. Afterward, there was a brief award ceremony and she got an award for greatest contribution to the music program.

My daughter isn't a great singer (she takes after me), but she started an extracurricular class in music theory, organized the choir trip to Mackinac, served as the Chorale president, and coordinated the fundraisers. All this while living an hour away from the school most of the school year. I'm proud of that kid.
Wow, that is impressive. Looks good on a college resume, too.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I already bragged about this on Facebook, but I guess I'll do it here too. My older son is 15, a freshman in high school. This year, his school has their first ever track and field team and he decided to join. The school doesn't have a track, so they make do, running around fields, on the cross country trail, etc. There were 7-8 kids at the start of the season, and only 5 by the end. At meets, they often had only 2-4 kids.

The first time he'd ever set foot on a track was when he lined up for his first race, about two months ago. He runs the 1600 and 800. Since that first 1600, he has dropped his time over 30 seconds and in the last meet of the year, he made the qualifying time for the state meet (he ran a 5:06). He runs in that meet this weekend. For a kid who's never really had much sports success (most autistic kids aren't very coordinated, and Lukas is no different), this has been awesome to watch. He still doesn't even really know what he's doing - he has to pick another kid to stick with in the race, because he's terrible at setting his own pace. He really hopes to get under 5 minutes in this last race.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote:I already bragged about this on Facebook, but I guess I'll do it here too. My older son is 15, a freshman in high school. This year, his school has their first ever track and field team and he decided to join. The school doesn't have a track, so they make do, running around fields, on the cross country trail, etc. There were 7-8 kids at the start of the season, and only 5 by the end. At meets, they often had only 2-4 kids.

The first time he'd ever set foot on a track was when he lined up for his first race, about two months ago. He runs the 1600 and 800. Since that first 1600, he has dropped his time over 30 seconds and in the last meet of the year, he made the qualifying time for the state meet (he ran a 5:06). He runs in that meet this weekend. For a kid who's never really had much sports success (most autistic kids aren't very coordinated, and Lukas is no different), this has been awesome to watch. He still doesn't even really know what he's doing - he has to pick another kid to stick with in the race, because he's terrible at setting his own pace. He really hopes to get under 5 minutes in this last race.
Isn't 5 minutes really fantastic for a 1600 meters? Wow.

But seriously, how's his long jump?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Isn't 5 minutes really fantastic for a 1600 meters? Wow.

But seriously, how's his long jump?
It's a hell of a lot faster than I could have ever run a mile. He gets his natural endurance from my wife's side. I think the best kids in the state (2A private schools) will run somewhere around 4:30-4:40 in the race this weekend.

He's never tried the long jump or any other field events. Since they have no track or other facilities, the team only does track events at this point. Generally though, while he's a great runner, I don't think he has the sprinting speed to be really good at anything under 400 or the jumps. I could be wrong about that though.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Too easy ; )
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Shirley wrote:I already bragged about this on Facebook, but I guess I'll do it here too. My older son is 15, a freshman in high school. This year, his school has their first ever track and field team and he decided to join. The school doesn't have a track, so they make do, running around fields, on the cross country trail, etc. There were 7-8 kids at the start of the season, and only 5 by the end. At meets, they often had only 2-4 kids.

That's awesome. Seriously. I hope he makes his goal!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Moreta wrote:That's awesome. Seriously. I hope he makes his goal!
Thanks, and congrats to your daughter! She (and you) must have been so proud to get that recognition. She sounds like a great kid.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I totally relate to this post, and it's great your son found a sport he can excel in. My son is horribly uncoordinated, and clueless when it comes to team sports. Last fall he tried cross country, and loved it. He isn't fast and still looks awkward when he runs, but he no longer stands out as looking awkward. You probably wouldn't notice unless you focused on him during a race. Running is the only thing he has ever really worked at, and he is somewhat competitive in distance events. He runs in 5Ks about 3 times a month, even throughout the winter.

A parent in our town who claims to have been on the US Olympic track team before blowing his achilles started the program on his own, and now has 100 kids between 2nd and 8th grade. 4 kids on the team qualified for Nationals and ran in New Mexico last fall. My son started in the lowest of 3 training groups, and was about the middle of the pack with kids who were mostly a year or two younger. This spring he moved through the middle group, and now trains with the first group, and is the only kid his age. He is 9, running with kids as old as 14, and able to keep up with the training. He would be horrible in a sprint, but he has been running 8 miles 3 days a week at practice,a 5K on some Saturdays, then runs the 1600 and 800 on Sundays. It seems like way too much to me, but he insists on the Saturday 5Ks, and it hasn't hurt his time in the 1600. Last week he ran a 5K event that he ran last year, and shaved 8 minutes off his time. Granted, he didn't train at all last year, but he has gained an enormous amount of pride and confidence through running, and is really a completely different kid.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That sounds like an awesome program. We need to find something like that for my son. His team is so small that there's no one who can remotely run with him at practice, so he's never pushed. Also, I suspect that the coaches don't run him nearly enough to get in the kind of shape a good 1600 runner needs to be in. Your 9-year-old is running farther than my son.

I just checked another school in our town and they have 11 kids who have run sub-five-minute 1600s this season. Those practices must be awesome! I have no doubt that given my son's speed and stamina, he could be a truly competitive runner if he had good training.

He insists that he still wants to play soccer next fall, but I kind of wish he'd quit for cross country. He'll rarely see the field in soccer, and I bet he'd be either the best or very close to it runner on the cross country team. And on that team, he'd get the practice miles he needs. At the very least, I'm going to see if they'll let him compete at meets that don't conflict with soccer games. I did that with spring track in high school while I was on the lacrosse team.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wow Syb. I knew the kid was running 5Ks, but not that he was running that much during the week. That's great. 8 minutes!

Shirley wrote:He insists that he still wants to play soccer next fall, but I kind of wish he'd quit for cross country. He'll rarely see the field in soccer, and I bet he'd be either the best or very close to it runner on the cross country team. And on that team, he'd get the practice miles he needs. At the very least, I'm going to see if they'll let him compete at meets that don't conflict with soccer games. I did that with spring track in high school while I was on the lacrosse team.
We'd like to get my daughter into a running program (she is training for a 5K right now, but the program is geared more towards building confident young girls than running, which isn't bad at all, but...) but there isn't anything in town for her age. A neighboring town apparently has a pretty good youth track program, but it conflicts with soccer and she too won't give that up.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote:That sounds like an awesome program. We need to find something like that for my son. His team is so small that there's no one who can remotely run with him at practice, so he's never pushed. Also, I suspect that the coaches don't run him nearly enough to get in the kind of shape a good 1600 runner needs to be in. Your 9-year-old is running farther than my son.

I just checked another school in our town and they have 11 kids who have run sub-five-minute 1600s this season. Those practices must be awesome! I have no doubt that given my son's speed and stamina, he could be a truly competitive runner if he had good training.

He insists that he still wants to play soccer next fall, but I kind of wish he'd quit for cross country. He'll rarely see the field in soccer, and I bet he'd be either the best or very close to it runner on the cross country team. And on that team, he'd get the practice miles he needs. At the very least, I'm going to see if they'll let him compete at meets that don't conflict with soccer games. I did that with spring track in high school while I was on the lacrosse team.

Talking to the guy who runs the program, he was pissed that our high school program is terrible, so he decided to start his own through the PAL. He is super structured in his program and really intense, but totally lax about going to meets or missing practices. A lot of kids play other sports and never go to meets. If you stand to close to him at the end of practice, you'll get an earful about the strategy behind the following week's routine. We are in the strength building phase, so a lot of hill runs. There is a quarter-mile road leading the high school that has a steep incline that they run up and down 6 or 8 times.

The meets are interesting, typically 20-30 teams. Out of all the teams, there is only one other team with any white kids, and very few on that team. As great as the program may be, our kids aren't even close to competitive. The only event in an 8 hour meet we came close was the 9-10 girls 800. Our girl lost by .02 seconds. The boys 9-10 1600, my son's group, the winner cane in at 5:29. He started the race just short of a sprint pace, and I heard a lot of parents moaning, feeling bad for the kid because he would crash. He kept that pace the entire race. He is on the smaller side, too. When you get into the 13-14 year old boys, you get some kids with thighs bigger than our kids waists.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My youngest kid's second grade teacher is apparently moving up to teach fourth grade in the fall, and as a result has been going through training of some sort and has been out a fairly high number of times the last couple of weeks. The class had a substitute on Monday, and another one yesterday.

At some point yesterday morning, the sub (a woman) came up to my daughter, made her stand up, and said to her "You think you're so damn cute".*

My kid did the right thing and told the next adult she saw (a lunch aide) about it, who had her go tell the principal. After apparently verifying what happened (not sure if the sub admitted it, but the administration apparently talked to other kids in the class) the sub was removed and replaced mid-day. My daughter seems to be unaffected by the whole experience.

*she is pretty cute, and she definitely knows it and has probably gotten away with more than she should because of it, and knows that, too, but still....
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:My youngest kid's second grade teacher is apparently moving up to teach fourth grade in the fall, and as a result has been going through training of some sort and has been out a fairly high number of times the last couple of weeks. The class had a substitute on Monday, and another one yesterday.

At some point yesterday morning, the sub (a woman) came up to my daughter, made her stand up, and said to her "You think you're so damn cute".*

My kid did the right thing and told the next adult she saw (a lunch aide) about it, who had her go tell the principal. After apparently verifying what happened (not sure if the sub admitted it, but the administration apparently talked to other kids in the class) the sub was removed and replaced mid-day. My daughter seems to be unaffected by the whole experience.

*she is pretty cute, and she definitely knows it and has probably gotten away with more than she should because of it, and knows that, too, but still....
She's gonna grow up to call in bus drivers and report abandoned vehicles at this rate.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote:After apparently verifying what happened (not sure if the sub admitted it, but the administration apparently talked to other kids in the class) the sub was removed and replaced mid-day.
Good on them for not trying to just wish it away.