The Pittsburgh Pirates

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: The Querst in Perpetuity: The Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by brian »

(Just in case that wasn't completely clear I was taking the piss there.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

In communist South Korea crime commits you the day before.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I bet he flipped the car
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

"Don't drink and get in no time machine"

--Marvin Barnes, perhaps
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Apparently when he was arrested, his BAC was 0.084 percent. Back in the day, that wasn't even above the legal limit in most states. So while it is bad that he fled the accident, it doesn't sound like he was hammered. And all he did was hit a guardrail.

(I do realize that his BAC at the time of the accident would likely have been higher than when he was arrested. Unless he tossed back a few to get over the stress of the wreck.)
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Apparently when he was arrested, his BAC was 0.084 percent. Back in the day, that wasn't even above the legal limit in most states. So while it is bad that he fled the accident, it doesn't sound like he was hammered. And all he did was hit a guardrail.

(I do realize that his BAC at the time of the accident would likely have been higher than when he was arrested. Unless he tossed back a few to get over the stress of the wreck.)
Isn't the impairment level in most countries far more strict than the US? I could see that being the case in the ROK. (In most of Europe if I'm not mistaken it's like .03 or thereabouts.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:Apparently when he was arrested, his BAC was 0.084 percent. Back in the day, that wasn't even above the legal limit in most states. So while it is bad that he fled the accident, it doesn't sound like he was hammered. And all he did was hit a guardrail.

Isn't the impairment level in most countries far more strict than the US? I could see that being the case in the ROK. (In most of Europe if I'm not mistaken it's like .03 or thereabouts.)
Yes. It is 0.05 in Korea. He was clearly over the limit there.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

So drunk he forgot what country he was in.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Still waiting for the Cutch trade to happen. Yesterday, it sounded like a trade with the Nationals was all but done. Now I'm hearing the Cardinals might be in on it, which would be perfect.

The Kang news is disheartening. May as well go for the trifecta and, like, have Bill Mazeroski arrested for tax evasion or something.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

bapo! wrote:Still waiting for the Cutch trade to happen. Yesterday, it sounded like a trade with the Nationals was all but done. Now I'm hearing the Cardinals might be in on it, which would be perfect.
By perfect, you mean abhorrent, right?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bapo! wrote:Still waiting for the Cutch trade to happen. Yesterday, it sounded like a trade with the Nationals was all but done. Now I'm hearing the Cardinals might be in on it, which would be perfect.

The Kang news is disheartening. May as well go for the trifecta and, like, have Bill Mazeroski arrested for tax evasion or something.
Just not the Rangers, please.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sabo wrote:
By perfect, you mean abhorrent, right?
Well, yeah. But perfect for bloggers and talk-radio hosts.

(If St. Louis offers the best deal, I'll be fine with it. I guess.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nationals are such a weird franchise if Robles is really on the table. If I'm allowed to pretend Ellsbury doesn't exist any more, which would be nice, there are still like five Yankees prospects I wouldn't traded for McCutchen and I'd give each one up for Robles.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

mister d wrote:Nationals are such a weird franchise if Robles is really on the table. If I'm allowed to pretend Ellsbury doesn't exist any more, which would be nice, there are still like five Yankees prospects I wouldn't traded for McCutchen and I'd give each one up for Robles.
If they think their window is '17 and '18, and that McCutchen is the piece that puts them over the top, then it's more defensible.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If 2016 were 2015 again, it would still be a deal worth seriously investigating, so I'm not agreeing there.

(I concede I wouldn't have been able to handle any "Jeter for _______" ideas at any point of his career.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I'm not disagreeing with you. I really have no idea what to expect from Cutch going forward. Just offering a defense of the Nats if they give up Robles.

The Pirates re-signed Wade LeBlanc today. Yay?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ohhh ... I thought you meant dealing him would be more defensible if the Pirates thought he was necessity.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

No, just that Bryce Harper might sign somewhere else in a couple of years, and that pitching staff is never going to be better than it is now. So, if they think that McCutchen is going to bounce back, then it might make sense to go all-in for the next couple of years. Not saying that it would be a good trade, but at least understandable.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Robles is pretty much Harper's replacement. And McCutchen's production could probably be found several other places for not Robles. I know you're playing devil's advocate, but it shouldn't be advocated.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

I...[sighs] Fine.

You know, I think that Trump is just the kick in the pants that this country needs. Your thoughts?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's dividing in order to unite. If you can run a company for personal gain at the expense of all others, you can run a country for the good of all. Its gonna be great.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

So, it turns out that this is Kang's third DUI, dating back to 2009.

As for #CutchWatch, word is that the Nationals want McCutchen and Chris Sale, and they think they have the prospects to pull it off. So yeah, I guess they really are going for it now. I love when teams do this kind of thing.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Jung-Ho Kang was given an 8-month suspended sentence for his DUI conviction. Basically, he has to stay out of trouble for 2 years, and then he'll be clear. He still has to work out details for his work visa before he comes back to the US and reports to spring training. Don't know what this entails in Trump's America. It could take a while.

On the field, the Pirates have rearranged their outfield. McCutchen has been moved from CF to RF, Marte moves to CF, and Polanco switches to LF. Apparently, this is the first time in MLB history that a team will return its starting outfield in entirely new positions.

It's too early to be thinking about baseball.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bapo! wrote:Jung-Ho Kang was given an 8-month suspended sentence for his DUI conviction. Basically, he has to stay out of trouble for 2 years, and then he'll be clear. He still has to work out details for his work visa before he comes back to the US and reports to spring training. Don't know what this entails in Trump's America. It could take a while.

On the field, the Pirates have rearranged their outfield. McCutchen has been moved from CF to RF, Marte moves to CF, and Polanco switches to LF. Apparently, this is the first time in MLB history that a team will return its starting outfield in entirely new positions.

It's too early to be thinking about baseball.
The late afternoon sun at Wrigley is much easier to deal with from left field, so that's good.

It's never too early to start thinking about baseball.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Steve of phpBB wrote:It's never too early to start thinking about baseball.
Yeah, you're right. Okay, I'll think about it, but I won't care about it for a few more weeks. How's that?

I did hear an inning of a spring-training game on the radio a couple of days ago. That was nice.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bapo! wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:It's never too early to start thinking about baseball.
Yeah, you're right. Okay, I'll think about it, but I won't care about it for a few more weeks. How's that?

I did hear an inning of a spring-training game on the radio a couple of days ago. That was nice.
Most years, the only time I can stand to care about baseball is during spring training. Maybe April and May if I'm lucky.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Jung Ho Kang was denied a visa to enter the United States. Not sure when he'll be able to re-apply, but he might miss the entire season. I don't think that too many Pirates fans are heartbroken this morning. I can't even get reflexively mad at Trump over this.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

bapo! wrote:Jung Ho Kang was denied a visa to enter the United States. Not sure when he'll be able to re-apply, but he might miss the entire season. I don't think that too many Pirates fans are heartbroken this morning. I can't even get reflexively mad at Trump over this.
Can the Pirates trade him to Toronto?
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
bapo! wrote:Jung Ho Kang was denied a visa to enter the United States. Not sure when he'll be able to re-apply, but he might miss the entire season. I don't think that too many Pirates fans are heartbroken this morning. I can't even get reflexively mad at Trump over this.
Can the Pirates trade him to Toronto?
Good idea! That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that keeps me coming back to the Swamp. Kang would be like the reverse Bob Probert, who couldn't travel to Canada when he played for the Red Wings.

Okay, Canadian Immigration, the ball's in your court.
mister d
The Dude

Re: The Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by mister d »

This probably doesn't help ...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is it my imagination, racism or some combination thereof that leads me to think that it's mostly Latinos getting caught for PEDs?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its your racism but its also pretty factual. I'm guessing offseasons outside of the US and probably some language barrier don't help.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BTW, I'm kinda surprised this doesn't happen more and I tend to believe atleast some of the guys really don't know what they took. I imagine there's plenty of incentive for a doctor or a "doctor" or a supplements guy to claim something is clean that isn't to make themselves look valuable to the athlete.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:BTW, I'm kinda surprised this doesn't happen more and I tend to believe atleast some of the guys really don't know what they took. I imagine there's plenty of incentive for a doctor or a "doctor" or a supplements guy to claim something is clean that isn't to make themselves look valuable to the athlete.
Yeah, that makes sense. I don't think Latinos are more inclined to take PEDs so shady doctors in other countries, language barriers and a general "knowledge gap" can probably explain it.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:
mister d wrote:BTW, I'm kinda surprised this doesn't happen more and I tend to believe atleast some of the guys really don't know what they took. I imagine there's plenty of incentive for a doctor or a "doctor" or a supplements guy to claim something is clean that isn't to make themselves look valuable to the athlete.
Yeah, that makes sense. I don't think Latinos are more inclined to take PEDs so shady doctors in other countries, language barriers and a general "knowledge gap" can probably explain it.
It's also possible that the "doctors" in other countries just aren't as good at beating the tests as the "doctors" in the USA.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Cole for a Frazier topped package really, really seems to work for both teams, no?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This definitely wouldn't hurt. Frazier, if he's even MLB average, is going to be a really fun and noticeable player for some team. Like to the point where I don't even want the Yankees to hold him as a 4th or weak side platoon OF.

(I don't want them to release him, of course, just use him in a trade for a #2 like Cole could be.)