The Pittsburgh Pirates

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

bapo!
The Big Lebowski

The Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by bapo! »

A week and a half until Opening Day. I'm excited in the way that I am at the beginning of every baseball season, even as I look out my window and see snow flurries. But last season's collapse (and the previous season's collapse) has destroyed any enthusiasm I might have had for this team. AJ Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez are a year older, Clint Barmes is still the everyday shortstop, etc.

Some end-of-the-roster moves this week. They traded for 38-year-old backup infielder John McDonald, which means that prospect Jordy Mercer won't make the team. And they sent reliever Bryan Morris back down to AAA. I mean, he was granted an extra option, so they might as well use it, right? Why keep him on the roster when they can have an older, less-deserving player? This team's reliance on veterany veterans is infuriating. They've been pimping their much-improved minor-league system for years, but the players from that system are constantly blocked by older, marginal players.

But hey, at least Brandon Inge is helping them choreograph their walk-off home-run celebration. Seriously, they practiced that last week.

I can pinpoint the day when I really soured on this team. Last August, they played a 19-inning game, then called up a couple of young pitchers because their bullpen was stretched thin. They pitched well the following night, then were immediately sent back down in favor of a couple of greybeards. Those greybeards pitched the next night, and the Pirates lost another game in extra innings. (Daniel McCutchen pitched in one game for the Pirates last year, and he took the loss in that game. I was going to say 'one inning,' but I just looked it up and was reminded that he didn't actually record an out, just a walk and a home run allowed. Clint Hurdle's reasoning for using him instead of better options available at the time: McCutchen had been there before, because he pitched a few innings in that Jerry Meals game in 2011. And ruined his arm and hasn't been the same since.)

This might be my favorite stat ever. The writer gathered all of the free-agent signings and trades that Neal Huntington has made the past five years, then added up their salaries and WAR. They've spent $131M on those players, and they've produced a cumulative WAR of -4.6. So, if the Pirates had just called up random guys from AAA, they would have saved a ton of money and actually won more games. That's so Piratey.
Last edited by bapo! on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabo
The Dude

Re: The Querst in Perpetuity: The Pittsburgh Pirates

Post by Sabo »

I want to attend at least one Pirates game this year. I'll let you know whenever I come back to the 'burgh.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I'm more optimistic than Bapes but the Hurdle factor can never be ignored. I'm surprised the Bucs didn't trade for Todd Helton.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Sabo wrote:I want to attend at least one Pirates game this year. I'll let you know whenever I come back to the 'burgh.
Word. Same with me and the Indians. It hurt me to be in Cleveland a couple of days ago without being able to see you. A few tears might have been shed.

Sometime starting in early-June would be a good time to visit. Gerrit Cole, the first pick in the 2011 draft, should be making his debut right around then. He appears to be on track to be as good as advertised.

Jameson Taillon, the second pick of the 2010 draft and the Pirates' other big pitching prospect, is a bit more of a question mark. Scouts still love his stuff, but he hasn't had great results yet in the minors. That might just be because the Pirates limit what their pitchers are allowed to throw as they climb thru the system. Or it might just be that he's only 21 years old and still learning how to pitch. Either way, there's a bit of concern there. I'm going to a couple of Altoona games in a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping to see him pitch.
GP wrote:I'm more optimistic than Bapes but the Hurdle factor can never be ignored. I'm surprised the Bucs didn't trade for Todd Helton.
It's all about the bunting. And Jay Bell is the new hitting coach, so expect this year's team to be even more bunt-tastic.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Taillon killed it at the end of last season. I was down on him, but after that and the WBC this year, I think he's gonna be good, too. Which makes all of those dollars wasted on old dudes instead of saved and replaced with youth all the more perplexing. What the fuck was the idea for 2010? Or 2011 after the collapse was evident?

I just don't trust Hurdle and Huntingdon's record is spotty at best.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Grasspenis wrote:I just don't trust Hurdle and Huntingdon's record is spotty at best.
The bullpen management last year was especially bad. I didn't know if I should blame Huntington for keeping the young arms down in AAA, or blame Hurdle because he never would have let them pitch if they were on the roster. As long as those two are in charge, nothing is going to change. But if the Pirates kept Huntington and added a less-Hurdle-like manager, I don't know if the results would be much better. I'm really down on Huntington.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

bapo! wrote:
Grasspenis wrote:I just don't trust Hurdle and Huntingdon's record is spotty at best.
The bullpen management last year was especially bad. I didn't know if I should blame Huntington for keeping the young arms down in AAA, or blame Hurdle because he never would have let them pitch if they were on the roster. As long as those two are in charge, nothing is going to change. But if the Pirates kept Huntington and added a less-Hurdle-like manager, I don't know if the results would be much better. I'm really down on Huntington.

When he took Wandy out against Cincinnati during an August or September game, while he was cruising, in the fifth - to bring in that crazy dude I hate that runs out and grimaces and looks tough and intimidates and gives up like a shit ton of hits - I knew it was over. And the immediately, next batter, double off the wall. It was stupid. Hurdle does that a lot but that particular example sticks in my head.
bapo!
The Big Lebowski

Post by bapo! »

Grasspenis wrote:to bring in that crazy dude I hate that runs out and grimaces and looks tough and intimidates and gives up like a shit ton of hits
Jared Hughes. My mother calls him 'Ichabod.'

Have you seen the promotional photos this year? Way too close and way too bright. Not one of them is flattering, and some are downright awful. Mike McKenry's photo makes me very, very sad.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

bapo! wrote:This might be my favorite stat ever. The writer gathered all of the free-agent signings and trades that Neal Huntington has made the past five years (and the upcoming season), then added up their salaries and WAR. They've spent $131M on those players, and they've produced a cumulative WAR of -4.6. So, if the Pirates had just called up random guys from AAA, they would have saved a ton of money and actually won more games. That's so Piratey.
Fixed. And he admits the $131 is a little bit off because AJ (and Wandy last season) were only actually paid fractions of their actual salaries by the Pirates.

And that Inge portrait from your other link is one scab away from being the last stage of a meth poster.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brandon Inge should be happy that he signed with anybody.

At least they came to their senses and cut Hawpe.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Cutch's head looks tiny. He looks like he could crush his own head with his hands. He's like the black Earthworm Jim.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wait, Earthworm Jim wasn't black?

Tangentially Pirates related, but I think my favorite part of the exhibition season so far is that the degradation of the Yankees roster has led to Yankees fans calling up sports talk radio to complain about losing Martin to the Pirates. The Pittsburgh Pirates!!!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Yankees Midwest!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Inge!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

http://arethepiratesinfirstplace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love the graphic currently on the site. I took a screenshot for posterity.

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

With Cutch struggling, too. Bats are waking up. I hope Bapes is pumped again. At least a little bit pumped.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gerrit Cole era begins on Tuesday.

(against Timmay and the Champs)
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'll say this -- I love what I've seen of the Pirates pitching and pitching is what ultimately gets it done. This might be the year to try and pick up a bat or two at the trade deadline and make a run for it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey DirecTV, WTF is the SF/Pit game blacked out in the NYC market? At least that alternate feed of Bos/TB is working!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:Hey DirecTV, WTF is the SF/Pit game blacked out in the NYC market? At least that alternate feed of Bos/TB is working!
I think they're telling you that, as a Yankee fan, you should care about a game between two divisional rivals. Or that you should move.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Great, now I have spend the next four months checking those two channels every evening until they have two games on at once (which I swear I've seen before) just so I can weakly throw it back in DSG's face.

Cole is big. And he does seem to emote a lot on the mound, though mostly positive last night.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:Great, now I have spend the next four months checking those two channels every evening until they have two games on at once (which I swear I've seen before) just so I can weakly throw it back in DSG's face.
Today is the fourth of fifth time in the last ten days where Detroit has been the "blackout game" on MLB Net, so I have to hope that somehow, LA gets annexed into the "home team" area of teams like Cincinnati or Minnesota.

That said, I look forward to having it weakly thrown in my face.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Sabo wrote:http://arethepiratesinfirstplace.com

I love the graphic currently on the site. I took a screenshot for posterity.

Doc Ellis' LSD no-no was 43 years ago today.
mini puke to 1,558
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I have been getting up at ridiculous hours to watch the Bucs in France and Greece (well, yesterday's game was pretty good timing...the Bucs played a double-header over here!) and they have not let me down.

PLEASE DON'T COLLAPSE
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I think most of America would much rather see the Pens and Pirates in first place and the Steelers in last place than the other way around.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

America seems to hate the Pens these days as well. I'd personally prefer them all in first place.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Man, I got fucked by Grilli's injury in my fantasy league. A few days ago, Melancon was dropped by some other douchebag, so he was on waivers for three days. And of course, the last waiver day was last night, and seemingly everyone made a claim on him. I had the worst waiver spot, of course.

Even worse, as soon as I heard about Grilli's injury, I rushed to get to my laptop to pick up Melancon, and while doing so, I tripped over a chair and fell on my face.

Fucking Pirates.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Sabo wrote:Man, I got fucked by Grilli's injury in my fantasy league. A few days ago, Melancon was dropped by some other douchebag, so he was on waivers for three days. And of course, the last waiver day was last night, and seemingly everyone made a claim on him. I had the worst waiver spot, of course.

Even worse, as soon as I heard about Grilli's injury, I rushed to get to my laptop to pick up Melancon, and while doing so, I tripped over a chair and fell on my face.

Fucking Pirates.

Join a league with holds. Holds are awesome!

We should start a Swamp league next year. Hell...I guess I could just do it. On ESPN, obvs.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Pirates take sole possession of first place for the first time (this late in July) since the tragic year of Francisco Cabrera. Heck of a last three games by the Bucs; against the team with baseball's best record, no less, and a guarantee they'll come out ahead in this rare old-school 5-game series. At twenty-two games over .500, this just does not look like a team that's going to swoon as did some of their predecessors. They're fun to watch, too; such a plucky bunch. Liriano was tremendous yesterday.

If the playoffs started today? The Pirates would get the Dodgers. But not to worry, Pittsburgh fans; Los Angeles is only 25-5 in their last 30 games.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Scottie wrote:They're fun to watch, too; such a plucky bunch.
Tell that to AB.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It's happening.

Congrats to bapo, SL, brainbo and any other long-suffering Pirates fans from this board. Good stuff.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

tell your stupid underdog team of jerks to stop winning and let the real winners win.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

testy boxcar wrote:tell your stupid underdog team of jerks to stop winning and let the real winners win.
Bump!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Buccos get Justin Morneau for Alex Presley. Safe to say Bucs are going all-in for this postseason. I guess 20 years of futility will do that to a team.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yay!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Finally.

Need one more so it's a winning season, but...well, that would be the most epic collapse ever in anything by anyone ever.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Gunpowder wrote:Need one more so it's a winning season, but...well, that would be the most epic collapse ever in anything by anyone ever.
Even if they tie the record for longest losing streak in Major League (modern) history, they'll still have one game left on the schedule. So, yeah, yinz are in good shape. The curse of Francisco Cabrera has passed.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Gunpowder wrote:Finally.

Need one more so it's a winning season, but...well, that would be the most epic collapse ever in anything by anyone ever.
Woo!

Big game by Cole. Didn't think he had that in him at this point in the season.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

The querst is over!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 4929 times