Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

mister d
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by mister d »

Will one of you stay on my community facebook page and post all non-annoying updates?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Seems fair.

Mewe passed my initial test of "easy enough for a moron like me to set up and post a dog pic". Win.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am
mister d wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 am I keep wanting to do it but I know I'll end up asking my wife once per week to check something on the town facebook page. Its so bad.
You can leave and she can stay? At least partially stick it to the man?

It's just, man, Facebook is almost pure distilled evil at this point.
You make good points, and make me question myself for not thinking about taking a stand... As long as you post the pics of your dog here that you otherwise would have posted on Facebook, I'll support your decision.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm thinking about ditching Facebook as well. Maybe I'll join TB over on Mewe (I hate that name though) and see what's up.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am I'm thinking about ditching Facebook as well. Maybe I'll join TB over on Mewe (I hate that name though) and see what's up.
I know this is "yea but I can quit anytime I want", but I hate the push and pull of this. I was right in that age gap where I got Facebook when you had to have a .edu email and be approved. It was kind of a right of passage for getting accepted into college. And I keep up with a lot of great long-distance friends on there ("But if you were good friends, why wouldn't you put in the effort??" Because it's time consuming and much like people use RSS to pull in news, I use FB to pull in long distance friend updates). And I find out about a lot of really positive community events from Facebook (trivia nights, dog shelter benefits, you name it). However there's also the pull of the extreme negativity surrounding it, the constantly being pandered to with ads, the endorsement of politics I don't believe in. I really don't know the best way forward on it. I don't like using it, but the FOMO is real.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:49 am
brian wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:41 am I'm thinking about ditching Facebook as well. Maybe I'll join TB over on Mewe (I hate that name though) and see what's up.
I know this is "yea but I can quit anytime I want", but I hate the push and pull of this. I was right in that age gap where I got Facebook when you had to have a .edu email and be approved. It was kind of a right of passage for getting accepted into college. And I keep up with a lot of great long-distance friends on there ("But if you were good friends, why wouldn't you put in the effort??" Because it's time consuming and much like people use RSS to pull in news, I use FB to pull in long distance friend updates). And I find out about a lot of really positive community events from Facebook (trivia nights, dog shelter benefits, you name it). However there's also the pull of the extreme negativity surrounding it, the constantly being pandered to with ads, the endorsement of politics I don't believe in. I really don't know the best way forward on it. I don't like using it, but the FOMO is real.
Beyond FOMO, like you said, my Town government uses FB to give out information, the parent groups for my kids school are how I find out what I need to know, and the dog rescue where I volunteer is FB driven... I don't think I can disconnect. I almost never post anything, and rarely reply to anything, but it has become a necessary tool for me.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

But, if I leave Facebook, how will I know when it's the birthday of some distant relative?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hard pass on MeWe
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

I can't help but notice that ever since i started doing standup and writing jokes on facebook, more and more of my friends are making the decision to permanently delete their facebook
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Off to MeWe to ask if giff is ok.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:17 pm A story to warm Bengal’s heart
Clicked the link and a window popped up, asking me if I wanted to sign in on Facebook.

Irony thread?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:17 pm A story to warm Bengal’s heart
That did indeed sound the right notes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Facebook Notifications wrote:You've been recognized as one of [person or site you follow]'s top fans. Get your badge now.
WTF? And, why would I want that?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

My Aunt recently friended me on FB.

She is a nonstop FoxNews/Pro-Trump poster, with tons of things like "I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at Different times and I think that He wanted Donald Trump to be President", with a picture of Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and then "Say True if you agree!".

Totally have to resist the urge to go full liberal rebuttal mode...
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I made the mistake of friending a bunch of people on election night. I hid about five people the next day.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I muted like 1/3 of my feed at and around the election and haven't looked back.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:29 pm My Aunt recently friended me on FB.

She is a nonstop FoxNews/Pro-Trump poster, with tons of things like "I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at Different times and I think that He wanted Donald Trump to be President", with a picture of Sarah Huckabee Sanders, and then "Say True if you agree!".

Totally have to resist the urge to go full liberal rebuttal mode...
By extension then, I suppose these people have to assume that all the Kings and Queens and Popes became so because of Divine Right. Think of all the horrible/insane/evil rulers through the ages, and to believe that they were there because God chose them?!? This kind of thinking drives me nuts.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Inshallah - the ultimate existential hedge.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nothing brings a town together like a stellar season by a HS sports team, especially football.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Back to my Aunt....yesterday, in a flurry of other batshit insane things (including a quote from Rush Limbaugh about how Sanders and Warren talking about holding back funding from Israel over the treatment of Palestinians was the 'SAME THING THAT TRUMP DID WITH UKRAINE!'), she shared a post from something called 'The Reagan Battalion' that had this quote, supposedly from Winston Churchill.

"Winston Churchill once said “when Muslims are in the minority they are very concerned with minority rights, when they are in the majority there are no minority rights.”

So, I went to Snopes.com, and sure enough...Churchill is no where on the record as having said this.

Winston Churchill on Muslims and Minority Rights
Although such a statement might not have been out of character for Churchill, whose controversial musings on Islam revealed both a fascination and fear of the faith, no evidence documents his having said or written any such thing.

Richard Langworth, a senior fellow with the Hillsdale College Winston Churchill Project, included this putative Churchillian quote in a 16 November 2018 addition to his running list of “All the ‘Quotes’ Winston Churchill Never Said.”

As best we can tell, this “quote” is an utterance commonly found in the comment sections of Islamophobic websites and was later attributed to Churchill with the use of Photoshop. For example, on 11 May 2015, a man commented on a blog named “The Muslim Issue” with the words allegedly uttered by Churchill:
So....do I point this out to her? I mean...she's 86 years old, recently lost her husband, and lives in the middle of nowhere in Southern Utah.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I point out to people when they put up fake quotes all the time because I have this idealistic idea that it might bother them they were duped. It doesn't. They don't even take it down. Sometimes they'll respond with something like "Doesn't matter if it's true; I just like the quote."

Regardless, I think there's some truth to that but it's not exclusive to Muslims.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I had a guy from high school that I defriended years ago, who would post 3 year old (literal) fake news stories and people (including me) would call him on it.

He would get drunk and go on Messenger and say stuff like he's just trying to get a rise out of people, and after the second exchange like that, I just told him to fuck off (again, literally) and we're done here.

There's a segment of society that really doesn't care about truth or facts anymore. (I mean, not all of them... lots of folks in the
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Um...I guess you got a phone call.
Last edited by EnochRoot on Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm Back to my Aunt....yesterday, in a flurry of other batshit insane things (including a quote from Rush Limbaugh about how Sanders and Warren talking about holding back funding from Israel over the treatment of Palestinians was the 'SAME THING THAT TRUMP DID WITH UKRAINE!'), she shared a post from something called 'The Reagan Battalion' that had this quote, supposedly from Winston Churchill.

"Winston Churchill once said “when Muslims are in the minority they are very concerned with minority rights, when they are in the majority there are no minority rights.”

So, I went to Snopes.com, and sure enough...Churchill is no where on the record as having said this.

Although such a statement might not have been out of character for Churchill, whose controversial musings on Islam revealed both a fascination and fear of the faith, no evidence documents his having said or written any such thing.

Richard Langworth, a senior fellow with the Hillsdale College Winston Churchill Project, included this putative Churchillian quote in a 16 November 2018 addition to his running list of “All the ‘Quotes’ Winston Churchill Never Said.”

As best we can tell, this “quote” is an utterance commonly found in the comment sections of Islamophobic websites and was later attributed to Churchill with the use of Photoshop. For example, on 11 May 2015, a man commented on a blog named “The Muslim Issue” with the words allegedly uttered by Churchill:
So....do I point this out to her? I mean...she's 86 years old, recently lost her husband, and lives in the middle of nowhere in Southern Utah.
Here's the thing: if she was always a loony wombat, then whatever. Just let her live in peace. But if her frustration over the loss of her husband has been a primary driver in a change in her personality? Then reach out to her. Under cover, not on her wall.
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

If you do not believe in geo-engineering or “chemtrails” take a good look outside today. They are spraying the F out of us attempting to take away our beautiful Colorado blue sky. We must not be silent about this atrocity on our earth and our selves. Wake up! Those trails are filled (tested and proven!) with Bromium, Strontium, Aluminum and other crap. They’ve been doing it since the 60s. It’s not a conspiracy, it is proven fact and our government doesn’t even pretend. Will you raise your voice about it and educate yourself and your friends?
**update: look up at your hazy thin cloud over now that these lovely sprays have created. Cloud seeding is not a conspiracy!**
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:51 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm Back to my Aunt....yesterday, in a flurry of other batshit insane things (including a quote from Rush Limbaugh about how Sanders and Warren talking about holding back funding from Israel over the treatment of Palestinians was the 'SAME THING THAT TRUMP DID WITH UKRAINE!'), she shared a post from something called 'The Reagan Battalion' that had this quote, supposedly from Winston Churchill.

Here's the thing: if she was always a loony wombat, then whatever. Just let her live in peace. But if her frustration over the loss of her husband has been a primary driver in a change in her personality? Then reach out to her. Under cover, not on her wall.
I haven't updated this in a while...but I think I've had an epiphany regarding my Aunt. I've mentioned previously about my cousin who is serving time in the Federal Prison for running a real estate Ponzi scheme. (Utah serial swindler Wayne Ogden gets 10 years in prison). That's her son. And, it turns out, according to my parents, that they are really hoping that he will get released early by Trump under the new law that he signed a while back (the one that Kim Kardashian convinced him to sign).

So...I'm starting to think that all those pro-Trump postings are my Aunts way of hoping to influence that decision. Not the craziest thing, right?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:54 am So...I'm starting to think that all those pro-Trump postings are my Aunts way of hoping to influence that decision. Not the craziest thing, right?
Acting in self-interest makes more sense than blind, stupid loyalty, so, yes, not the craziest thing.

Hey, I don't quite understand who can see what on FB, but tonight I got into a bit of a pissing match with a guy in my hometown that I went to high school and college with, who is a Trump supporter. It took place in the comments section of a different person's facebook post. That person, a mutual friend from college, basically took a victory lap over the impeachment today. In the comments, this guy made a snide comment that I thought was factually inaccurate, so I called him on it. Then, he started spouting and we were off to the races. Is this something my facebook friends see? Did any of you guys see it? Tell me if you think I could have handled it better.
Him: Dems loved him years ago when he was left leaning. What changed?
Me: my recollection is that Trump was pretty unpopular in the 90s among people of all stripes. I remember Spy magazine taunting him unmercifully some 25 years ago. Somehow he gained popularity among some people much more recently.
Him: californium has its own issues to resolve. However, I was never and am not now a trump lover (becoming a liker) . Only because the Dems have done nothing for America in their popular position for America. All these rich politicians are so out of touch and are possessed with Trump.
Where is our economy? Where is unemployment? Where is war/war related issues ? Terrorism? Anything else? USA has never been better. Look at yourselves !!!!
Me: Sure there are positives and negatives in the world at large, the places we live, and the economy as a whole. But that is an entirely different issue from the reasons for the impeachment trial and no reason to tolerate a president who is verifiably corrupt and criminal in his behavior.
Him: Criminal how?
Me: soliciting a foreign government for aid in the upcoming election, with the threat of withholding foreign aid unless they do as requested. Multiple foreign service workers of our country have testified to this. It was all on CSpan recently. Rudy Giuliani and Mick Mulvaney actually also said as much and they are close aides to Trump.
Him: This is such a farce.
Him: Dems wanted this from day one or pre day one.
Me: it doesn’t matter what they wanted if he hadn’t done the crimes.
Him and Me: [make nice and wrap up a bit]
Him: i pity Californians with their politics and politicians. Best wishes. Ugh. 😊👍🏻
Me: We have our positives and our negatives here. But I love California.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Well that was shockingly civil... I haven't been on FB, but you have nothing to worry about with that exchange.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’ve written several responses to that and have decided I don’t have the energy. But yeah 2 people were still murdered with a gun regardless of how the shooter was killed. And El Paso and Sutherland Springs and Santa Fe so fuck off assholes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gun deaths are up 100 percent in Texas over the last 8 years so that’s all that needs to be said.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 pm I’ve written several responses to that and have decided I don’t have the energy. But yeah 2 people were still murdered with a gun regardless of how the shooter was killed. And El Paso and Sutherland Springs and Santa Fe so fuck off assholes.
That's precisely what this moron said to me when I pointed out that the killer entered a church with a gun. I replied that I am happy to live in a place where we can enter a house of worship unarmed and then turned off notifications on the post.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

You can also point to the fact that the rate of suicides by firearms is highest in the states with the most lax gun laws.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I also think it's important to note that the guy that took down the shooter was a trained professional...not a Bubba McFuckface who got his conceal/carry and thinks he's Rambo.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:03 am I also think it's important to note that the guy that took down the shooter was a trained professional...not a Bubba McFuckface who got his conceal/carry and thinks he's Rambo.
Do not disparage the good name of the McFuckface family. Bubba is part of the Fuckface family. Big difference.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

GoodKarma wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:03 am I also think it's important to note that the guy that took down the shooter was a trained professional...not a Bubba McFuckface who got his conceal/carry and thinks he's Rambo.
Yeah, but these armchair Rambos want to live in a world where every Bubba is a marksman.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:53 am
Yeah, but these armchair Rambos want to live in a world where every Bubba is a marksman.
its been my experience in the south that every single man i've met named bubba was an excellent shot....i feel like it kinda comes with the name
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I think that Ray Brown might have some issues.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Can anyone recommend a LEGITIMATE Psychic\card reader?