Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Ryan »

I bet there are absolutely some books banned somewhere because they portray being racist in a negative light
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Shirley wrote:
bfj wrote:Regarding the Adam Jones treatment.
They paid for their ticket ... Jones just needs to grow up and be a man. He's getting millions to take any fan abuse hurled at him. Where was the commissioner during the Marlins World Series run when they played the cubs and got verbally abused. Or where was the outrage when Atlanta Braves pitcher John Rocker was being verbally abused by those NY fans ... double standards in a now Politically Correct world .
Hmm, I must have remembered the John Rocker "nigger" story wrong.
He said that John was just making his observations about NY and the people that lived there didn't like it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Went through my Facebook posts to hide most of the public posts since I'm applying for a couple of new jobs and didn't realize how banal most of the shit I post is. (Though it was worse years ago. That was not fun going through seven years worth of shit.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote:Went through my Facebook posts to hide most of the public posts since I'm applying for a couple of new jobs and didn't realize how banal most of the shit I post is. (Though it was worse years ago. That was not fun going through seven years worth of shit.)
I came to the same conclusion when I nuked my profile.

But this was before pages that had shareable "news" stories. There was nothing to prompt me to going on a rant then. So in an odd way, it was nostalgic for a simpler time.

Also, very weird seeing how Facebook operated then to now. Before it was just a network for college kids to interact and see who's dating who. Now it's just a mass data dump to profitize.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:Went through my Facebook posts to hide most of the public posts since I'm applying for a couple of new jobs and didn't realize how banal most of the shit I post is. (Though it was worse years ago. That was not fun going through seven years worth of shit.)
I wonder if potential employers would worry about someone like me since I'm not on Facebook. And while I'm on Twitter, I don't use my real name on it so I can easily deny having one. I think the only social media associated with my real name is LinkedIn, and I don't do much with that, either.

So, would not being on social media come across as being anti-social or just protective?
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:
I wonder if potential employers would worry about someone like me since I'm not on Facebook. And while I'm on Twitter, I don't use my real name on it so I can easily deny having one. I think the only social media associated with my real name is LinkedIn, and I don't do much with that, either.

So, would not being on social media come across as being anti-social or just protective?
Eh, I wouldn't read too much into it. I'm just being super careful in case someone decides to look me up. I left public the posts of dog pictures and whatnot so as to appear as American as apple pie.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:
Sabo wrote:

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into it. I'm just being super careful in case someone decides to look me up. I left public the posts of dog pictures and whatnot so as to appear as American as apple pie.
I promise I won't post a picture of the Che Guevara flag you had outside your cubicle almost 20 years ago. (Damn ... hard to believe my time in Ann Arbor was that freaking long ago).
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The sister I like cannot help but send me screenshots of the shit our mother shares on Facebook. It's not good to do that after I've been drinking since 4:00 knowing I wasn't going to have to drive anywhere. I made some outlandish responses to her shit before deleting the majority of the comments. I had to keep my comment on the post calling Trump the most brilliant president ever. I have to be adopted.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote:The sister I like cannot help but send me screenshots of the shit our mother shares on Facebook. It's not good to do that after I've been drinking since 4:00 knowing I wasn't going to have to drive anywhere. I made some outlandish responses to her shit before deleting the majority of the comments. I had to keep my comment on the post calling Trump the most brilliant president ever. I have to be adopted.
You mean the article by "renowned psychiatrist" Keith Ablow? I saw that in my feed and had to read the article. Ablow writes on a 4th great level explaining how Trump isn't mentally ill, but brilliant. I'm convinced.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote:The sister I like cannot help but send me screenshots of the shit our mother shares on Facebook. It's not good to do that after I've been drinking since 4:00 knowing I wasn't going to have to drive anywhere. I made some outlandish responses to her shit before deleting the majority of the comments. I had to keep my comment on the post calling Trump the most brilliant president ever. I have to be adopted.
I'll adopt you.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife, on a post by my SIL with pictures of our nephew's junior prom:
Suck handsome young men and beautiful young ladies!!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I hate when one letter changes the whole narrative!

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/niggernavy
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Student union apologizes for using trans-phobic song by Lou Reed.

Lou Reed! Trans-phobic!

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote:Student union apologizes for using trans-phobic song by Lou Reed.

Lou Reed! Trans-phobic!

Never once mistook it for a trans-bashing or trans-dismissive song. To me it always meant "there's many ways to live life".
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Agreed. As I was reading the post, I thought it was going to be because some right-wing christians complained.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Too bad Lou Reed isn't alive to personally rebut those folks.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I wonder how many trans individuals even know the song in question. And from them how many are offended by it. And from them realize the year it was made and thus the intent behind it.

Since we know the trans community is already a small percentage I wonder exactly how many people from said community are truly offended.

Because otherwise this is the part of political correctness known as Revisionist History Through White Guilt. And a small factor in why Trump won the election.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:I wonder how many trans individuals even know the song in question. And from them how many are offended by it. And from them realize the year it was made and thus the intent behind it.

Since we know the trans community is already a small percentage I wonder exactly how many people from said community are truly offended.

Because otherwise this is the part of political correctness known as Revisionist History Through White Guilt. And a small factor in why Trump won the election.
I would guess 99% of trans individuals know the song in question, and almost none find the song offensive.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I wonder how many trans individuals even know the song in question. And from them how many are offended by it. And from them realize the year it was made and thus the intent behind it.

I would guess 99% of trans individuals know the song in question, and almost none find the song offensive.
Which should be an indicator to 100% of SJWs to STFU.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:
The Sybian wrote:

Which should be an indicator to 100% of SJWs to STFU.
It should, yes.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:Agreed. As I was reading the post, I thought it was going to be because some right-wing christians complained.
Kindred spirits it would seem.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I mean, the freakin song appeared on the LP, Transformer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Well, Canada.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:Well, Canada.
I'd still rather deal with that than people in Walmart wearing Pepe T-shirts and MAGA hats.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote:Well, Canada.
Yeah...

Probably next road trip they'll play nothing but nursery rhymes for those children.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Not to mention, Holly is a real person and a friend of his from New York.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote:Not to mention, Holly is a real person and a friend of his from New York.
Not to mention the satellites: Harry, Mark and John...
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

SC, I got a friend request from you which probably means you've been hacked. Well, not hacked but someone probably duplicated your profile.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:SC, I got a friend request from you which probably means you've been hacked. Well, not hacked but someone probably duplicated your profile.
Yeah, I was wondering about that because I thought we were already friends on FB.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sorry guys. Hacked. Please disregard any new friend requests.

It's frustrating, but I did get texts from a lot of old friends I haven't been in recent contact with.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Helpful tips to construct a good password.

Either smash 4-5 random words together or pick 2 capital letters, 2 lower case letters, 2 numbers, and 2 special characters, type that twice (for 16 characters) and then add a word to the end of that.

I've had to construct ridiculous passwords on an alarmingly constant basis every quarter over the last decade. Find patterns on the keyboard and make them complex. Every additional character position exponentiates the complexity.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'd be surprised if they guessed my password. Like everybody else, I've got a thousand different internet logins and passwords. I change my FB password every year, and it is the lengthiest one of all my accounts, yet I've been hacked twice in six years on FB, and nowhere else.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:Sorry guys. Hacked. Please disregard any new friend requests.

It's frustrating, but I did get texts from a lot of old friends I haven't been in recent contact with.
And might get to have lunch with a Swamper next month.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'm a member of a number of groups relating to the Canadian TV and film industry.
Hi all, I'm a British documentary filmmaker living in Canada seeking collaboration with a Director or Producer of color to create a unique documentary project about shadeism. The doc follows a black Canadian choreographer as she tries to bring the topic of shadeism into the mainstream through her style of Afrofusion dance followed by a live debate with a multi-racial audience. I directed this short for CBCArts profiling the choreographer and am now working with a team who have backgrounds and perspectives from Jamaica, Egypt and Canada to develop this piece into a longer documentary. We're looking for a talented Canadian filmmaker from a community of color who would be interested in co-directing or co-producing this film to ensure the story can be told through a broad and inter-racial lens. We have shot a teaser and are at the pitching stage of development. To find out more check out the CBCArts piece below and the doc's website. If you'd like to chat more about getting involved please get in touch at
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shadeism? Afrofusion?

I'm an atheist, but I suddenly feel like joining this religion. Especially if it dabbles in Twerkology. I'll pray to that all day long. And I look forward to the cookouts and complicated handshakes. I want to make a difference.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote:Shadeism? Afrofusion?

I'm an atheist, but I suddenly feel like joining this religion. Especially if it dabbles in Twerkology. I'll pray to that all day long. And I look forward to the cookouts and complicated handshakes. I want to make a difference.
An "Afrofusion" cookout would certainly have better music.

"Shadeism" is a new one for me. I should point out that in typical Canadian fashion, the woman posting is white.

You know, I'd say that every year about a third of my students at the local college where I teach are of South Asian background. The first time I heard one of these students use the term "brown" to describe herself I was shocked and very gently and sensitively asked if "brown" was an acceptable term for people from South Asian backgrounds. Just about all of the students laughed at me for asking such a stupid question.

But I just can't say "brown" when referring to the students. Not sure if that makes me "shadeist," or simply a hyper-sensitive older member of the white patriarchy.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I just wish someone on FB would condescendingly explain what Memorial Day was all about. They should also tell me what it ISN'T about.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote:I just wish someone on FB would condescendingly explain what Memorial Day was all about. They should also tell me what it ISN'T about.
IN CASE YOU DON'T REALIZE IT, IT'S NOT NATIONAL BARBEQUE DAY, MR. MILITARY NON SUPPORTER GUY.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote:
bfj wrote:I just wish someone on FB would condescendingly explain what Memorial Day was all about. They should also tell me what it ISN'T about.
IN CASE YOU DON'T REALIZE IT, IT'S NOT NATIONAL BARBEQUE DAY, MR. MILITARY NON SUPPORTER GUY.
Is it about days off and picnics?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

bfj wrote:Is it about days off and picnics?
All kidding aside, it is for me. Never gave a thought about the troops even after becoming one initially. Then after a couple years the day meant more once people actively serving started dying in stupid fucking wars.

Now today is just a chance for me to make fun of sanctimonious prick military members who have to be in your face on social media that people died and you should cherish your freedom because of them. It reminds me that in my everyday life I work with and around sanctimonious prick military members.

4 more years and I can check IDs for Costco and hold a job with the least responsibility possible.