Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by brian »

Believe it or not, I seldom troll or even semi-troll on Facebook any more. I de-friended all of the TrumpBots and aside from a few nonsensical drunken postings from time to time, my Facebook interaction is fairly limited. But I couldn't help myself on this one. I can't stand this chick -- it's the sister of a good friend who has a half-dozen multi-level marketing "businesses" and posts "self-help" nonsense on the regular.

I like it because it works as validation of her post (if you want to see it that way) and as a straight up trolling.

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

That is outstanding. Well played.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hahaha. That's amazing. What did she say after that?
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No response.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote:Hahaha. That's amazing. What did she say after that?
Beautiful. I wonder how many people actually pick up on the joke.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Old high school friend of mine posted parts of 8 different songs from the Neil Diamond show that he attended with his 80 year old mother last night.

Quite possibly the least cool thing ever.

Nice guy, but he tends to overshare the events of the day.

He posted this thrilling update earlier in the day with the caption "Homeward Bound" (note, this is the Ottawa airport. He lives in Toronto. It is a 60 minute flight.)

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Respect if he's doing it ironically.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote:Respect if he's doing it ironically.
Nice guy, but no. He's the type who live streams his son's basketball game and will post shots from most of the holes when he plays golf.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

If atheists dont believe in Jesus why are they so worried that he just sacrificed a weekend for their sins. What is sin to an atheist? in order to sin you have to know right from wrong dont you? So for an atheist there is no sin. You are free to do as you please to anyone or anything, without fear. So you are free to murder, rape, steal, commit adultery, but do the majoity of atheists do that of their own free will, no, so where did their moral compass step in and from whom, perhaps that was in the primordial soup called the Big Bang.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote:Old high school friend of mine posted parts of 8 different songs from the Neil Diamond show that he attended with his 80 year old mother last night.

While at the beach last weekend, my wife and I made our way up the boardwalk to watch a Neil Diamond cover band.

People were taking it pretty seriously.

THAT was the least cool thing I've ever seen.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Jerloma wrote:
If atheists dont believe in Jesus why are they so worried that he just sacrificed a weekend for their sins. What is sin to an atheist? in order to sin you have to know right from wrong dont you? So for an atheist there is no sin. You are free to do as you please to anyone or anything, without fear. So you are free to murder, rape, steal, commit adultery, but do the majoity of atheists do that of their own free will, no, so where did their moral compass step in and from whom, perhaps that was in the primordial soup called the Big Bang.
Wow. Just ... wow.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
Wow. Just ... wow.
So much stupidity to unpack in one short paragraph.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

On the bright side, illustrating the fallacy of the false premise just got a whole lot easier.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Old high school friend of mine posted parts of 8 different songs from the Neil Diamond show that he attended with his 80 year old mother last night.

While at the beach last weekend, my wife and I made our way up the boardwalk to watch a Neil Diamond cover band.

Was it Super Diamond?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

P.D.X. wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:

Was it Super Diamond?
Real Diamond

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wife had to drag me away, because I was having way too much fun making fun of everything.

I kind of felt bad for the band, because that venue was incredibly difficult. A bunch of codgers posted up front in beach chairs giving almost nothing back. And if click on that video... There's like 10 of them in that band.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

King Diamond?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Almost too bad because that would be a great name for a cover band that does only Elvis and Neil Diamond covers (which itself would be pretty brilliant).
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:Almost too bad because that would be a great name for a cover band that does only Elvis and Neil Diamond covers (which itself would be pretty brilliant).
Already a renown theatrical metal act who may or may not chill with Morgan Freeman.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I knew that, hence the joke.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

/billcross'd
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote:On the bright side, illustrating the fallacy of the false premise just got a whole lot easier.
Right? I love the way she just subtly slips "and from whom?" in there, which is only like the 8th craziest thing about that paragraph.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Lowkey, a fear I have is having to give an interview in a professional setting (read: in uniform) and some religion question pops up and I have to answer it in front of a crowd of people.

I was actually coached on this prior to going to Iraq because you're working with people who take their religion too seriously and they love talking about it. The response I was told to give was "I'm searching for my faith." It's a half lie, but it works. But that's on a personal level with Muslims you're working with, not in an interview.

So I figure i'd go with a joke that would finish with that in front of Americans. "Well, a while back I gave up being Catholic for lent and I've been searching for my faith ever since." That may or may not work, but the situation is so unlikely that I shouldn't have to worry.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Johnnie wrote:Lowkey, a fear I have is having to give an interview in a professional setting (read: in uniform) and some religion question pops up and I have to answer it in front of a crowd of people.

I was actually coached on this prior to going to Iraq because you're working with people who take their religion too seriously and they love talking about it. The response I was told to give was "I'm searching for my faith." It's a half lie, but it works. But that's on a personal level with Muslims you're working with, not in an interview.

So I figure i'd go with a joke that would finish with that in front of Americans. "Well, a while back I gave up being Catholic for lent and I've been searching for my faith ever since." That may or may not work, but the situation is so unlikely that I shouldn't have to worry.
"I'm going to invoke my First Amendment right to not answer that question."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"I believe in Jesus except for the parts where he doesn't live his entire life in pursuit of money" works well for non-military positions.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote:
Nonlinear FC wrote:

Was it Super Diamond?

This gave me an idea. I'm going to open a wedding proposal planning company named Kneel...Diamond.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Diamond works two different ways there. If you need investors call me.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote:Lowkey, a fear I have is having to give an interview in a professional setting (read: in uniform) and some religion question pops up and I have to answer it in front of a crowd of people.

That's a fantastic answer, and I'm not sure it's a lie in the slightest (at least to me) so long as you can recognize the difference between it and the blind variety.

Life is about reconciling a balance between faith and reason (and also understanding that biblical and blind faith are the exact same thing)...
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote:Life is about reconciling a balance between faith and reason (and also understanding that biblical and blind faith are the exact same thing)...
That's quite good, ER.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Mind asking if that includes suicide bombers?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:Mind asking if that includes suicide bombers?
I should hope not.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I just found out that I'm officially single as of today via a Facebook status of the significant other's sister asking if anyone knew of a guy to set her up with

(full disclosure: it was in the process of happening and was inevitable. so this is far from a surprise. but it wasn't done either. we were taking a couple days and going from there.)

((but holy shit this is hilarious))
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Couldn't just take the shittiest room, huh?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:Couldn't just take the shittiest room, huh?
wasn't my fight!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

So was the status something like "can't wait to help my newly single sister land some hot dick"?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

mister d wrote:So was the status something like "can't wait to help my newly single sister land some hot dick"?
something about "my sister is single again (she was tagged in the post) and does anyone know of a good guy I'm looking to set her up"
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She gots to lose that Yahoo! blogger and get herself a good snogger.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.