Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Pruitt »

I just enjoyed a half hour of dancing at the Angel Inn in Niagara on the Lake with 5 young Phillipinas and one 60-ish transsexual wearing some boss StevieNicksWear. I call that a superb night. And by the way, I do wonder if i will ever be able to wear a black bowler or top hat to the pub, non-ironically, as this lady did tonight with such panache.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oddly enough, it's a lack of posts like that that drove me from Facebook. I'd rather read about your evening than read the latest and greatest anti-political party of your choice meme that can be disproven with a Google search.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Oh yeah, I agree with you.

My feed consists of posts like this one, sports shit and pictures of dogs.

But man, this woman is so precious.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I never understood the phrase "ignorance is bliss" until I realized how disconnected from reality some people are.

Ever try to bring a person like that into reality with an opinion that shows how lacking in self awareness they are? It's earth shattering. And you actually feel bad afterward.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Johnnie wrote:I never understood the phrase "ignorance is bliss" until I realized how disconnected from reality some people are.

Ever try to bring a person like that into reality with an opinion that shows how lacking in self awareness they are? It's earth shattering. And you actually feel bad afterward.

I actually had to show my gf's dad (who is a brilliant dude) that Chicago does not have more murders than the rest of the US combined.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I never understood the phrase "ignorance is bliss" until I realized how disconnected from reality some people are.

I actually had to show my gf's dad (who is a brilliant dude) that Chicago does not have more murders than the rest of the US combined.

But there are so many blacks, and they are all killing each other! Jesus, the rest of the country combined? I know the Right constantly talks about Chicago as a murderous hellscape because Obama is from there, so it must be the source of all evil, but come on!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

But there are so many blacks, and they are all killing each other! Jesus, the rest of the country combined? I know the Right constantly talks about Chicago as a murderous hellscape because Obama is from there, so it must be the source of all evil, but come on!

This is an actual meme that really exists and I've heard it before. So many murders in our 25th-ranked US city by murder rate!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Sybian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

Fascinating Column About The New Evangelicals In The Times

Basically, this is a religion completely removed from the Bible. More of a political affiliation than a way to serve Christ and community...

Pertinent to this thread...

I was both astonished and troubled, as a fellow evangelical, by the visceral sense of fear that gripped these young adults. As a child in the Baptist church, I had been taught to be vigilant about existential threats to my faith. But these students in a town with a population of some 1,200 saw the idea of a home invasion or an Islamic State attack that would require them to take a human life in order to save others as a certainty they would face, not a hypothetical.

These fears are far removed from the reality of life in North Dakota, a state that saw a total of 21 homicides in 2015. Of those deaths, seven were caused by firearms, and only three were committed by someone unknown to the victim. Yet the students around me agreed unreservedly with Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the National Rifle Association, who was seen in the film asserting that “in the world around us, there are terrorists, home invaders, drug cartels, carjackers, knockout gamers, rapers, haters, campus killers, airport killers, shopping mall killers.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did he really say "rapers"?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:Did he really say "rapers"?

Mother rapers? Or father rapers?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Let's not overlook the real danger of "haters."
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

What the fuck are "knockout gamers"?
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

That thing where you just run up and one-punch a random person
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan wrote:That thing where you just run up and one-punch a random person

Is that actually a thing or did you make it up?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:
Ryan wrote:That thing where you just run up and one-punch a random person

Is that actually a thing or did you make it up?

It was an actual thing in downtown Denver a couple years ago. Still keep my vigilance when walking around solo.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote:
“in the world around us, there are terrorists, home invaders, drug cartels, carjackers, knockout gamers, rapers, haters, campus killers, airport killers, shopping mall killers.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AAwCJfWHdqw
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Pruitt wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:

Fascinating Column About The New Evangelicals In The Times

Basically, this is a religion completely removed from the Bible. More of a political affiliation than a way to serve Christ and community...

Pertinent to this thread...

I was both astonished and troubled, as a fellow evangelical, by the visceral sense of fear that gripped these young adults. As a child in the Baptist church, I had been taught to be vigilant about existential threats to my faith. But these students in a town with a population of some 1,200 saw the idea of a home invasion or an Islamic State attack that would require them to take a human life in order to save others as a certainty they would face, not a hypothetical.

These fears are far removed from the reality of life in North Dakota, a state that saw a total of 21 homicides in 2015. Of those deaths, seven were caused by firearms, and only three were committed by someone unknown to the victim. Yet the students around me agreed unreservedly with Wayne LaPierre, chief executive of the National Rifle Association, who was seen in the film asserting that “in the world around us, there are terrorists, home invaders, drug cartels, carjackers, knockout gamers, rapers, haters, campus killers, airport killers, shopping mall killers.”

It's the weirdest combination of fearless, macho Patriotism and bed-wetting nancy-ness going today.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Could probably successfully restart that line of NO FEAR apparel but with a fine print parenthetical underneath listing all their actual fears.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

That would be amazing, actually.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The joke is a lot better if I'd photoshopped an old pic but its just too much work on here.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I'll paraphrase the majority of what I saw on facebook this morning (other than sports related posts and pictures of dogs):

"Oprah!" "My favourite actress won a Golden Globe!" "Natalie Portman!"

FFS.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Ugh.

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(dogs)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

In response to my wife posting some MLK meme:
He was a friend of Pastor Billy Graham (who was at a revival with corded isles to separate blacks and whites. He asked the head usher to remove the cords. He refused so Pastor Graham left the stage and removed them himself. ) According to Martin Luther King's relatives, he would not support the language, hate and actions of the current resistance.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 am In response to my wife posting some MLK meme:
He was a friend of Pastor Billy Graham (who was at a revival with corded isles to separate blacks and whites. He asked the head usher to remove the cords. He refused so Pastor Graham left the stage and removed them himself. ) According to Martin Luther King's relatives, he would not support the language, hate and actions of the current resistance.
Fuck, I hate people. She should respond with this:

ETA: Stupid memegenerator site, looked better when you could see the disgusting faces of the White assholes in front.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

This is the copy in an advertisement on my Facebook feed:
Introducing the Legends of Punk collection - a tribute to the innovative, amplified chaos created by three of the world’s most idolized punk bands.

The ad is for socks.

link
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:19 pm This is the copy in an advertisement on my Facebook feed:
Introducing the Legends of Punk collection - a tribute to the innovative, amplified chaos created by three of the world’s most idolized punk bands.

The ad is for socks.

link
That is insane.

$20 (Canadian - probably close to $30 with tax and shipping) for a pair of Dead Kennedys socks?

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've got a bunch of friends who take part in the bi-weekly Choir thing where 50-200 non-singers get together to massacre a well remembered song. And of course, they all post them afterwards.

I'm all for hobbies, but of the 60 or so people who like these songs, how many actually listen to them?

5 minutes? Go for it...

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Worst episode of Girls, ever.

1:57.

Spoiler Alert: no black people.

And that's the exact type of crowd that looks like every negative, hilarious stereotype white people get made fun of for.

"Mayonnaise is too spicy," "Do you have that gluten free?"...etc.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So some dude who used to regularly post on the local FB forums (his hang-ups were many, but included the township committee in general, township citizens not attending committee meetings, taxes, parking, nepotism, the lack of skate parks in town, turf soccer fields, how he rallied the community post-hurricane Sandy and let people charge their phones via his generator and no one properly appreciated him for it...) apparently got banned recently. While I would occasionally poke the bear and make fun of him (especially when he attacked the town's soccer league), he never really responded which isn't much fun, and as you'll see he gives off a bit of a "how nature says do not touch" vibe. The biggest FB forum is maintained by a relatively young guy who has run as for town office as an independent in the last few elections, and as such that group does have a somewhat acrimonious relationship with the town government.

Our town has started an anti-bullying initiative that sounds nice on the surface, but some think is directly aimed at opposition groups as it dictates that the town "will no longer be sharing information into third-party groups or pages that are not “Bully-Free Certified”", and has never really explained what that means. Someone shared a meeting notification for the anti-bullying initiative on the page for one of my kid's soccer teams, and this dude somehow found it (I guess via the shares from the initial post from the town) and left this as a comment on a U12 girls soccer team page:
Follow the Facts, Not {my town} Rhetoric February 18, 2018 Why would {my town} want to Certify and Support only Select Social Media with the option of requesting posts and comments be deleted and users banned? Why the {my town} NJ does Not Allow open discussion on its Facebook page and wants to Associate itself with Public Facebook Groups where it can influence Conversations and push to have those who Do not Agree with {my town} Decisions or Inactions banned from "Public Social Media" Groups "Certified" by the {my town} NJ who are Exclusive Partners in Content shared about Government Activities. This is a way to influence discussions and control response to those critical of Township Actions/Inactions. The "Cyberbullying" issue is being used to cover the real intentions to use Public Forums to influence Voters. Ask Why the {my town} Facebook Page isn't the Place to discuss these Issues which are discussed in Public Social Media Groups and it becomes obvious that unlike Government Social Media groups which cannot delete or censor comments, the {my town} can Use Influence to request the deletion of Posts or Comments they want silenced. Don't get me wrong, Bullying and Cyberbullying is a Major Issue in today's world but why would a Township Government want to control speech on Groups where the Children at issue here are not Bullied on? It makes no sense. The {my town} NJ is afraid of what has occurred in Social Media Questioning and Asking Accountability of the Township Decisions. Votes for Township Committee Members, a 25+ year Cycle of Control have been exposed for what they are, a club which cares more about the control of {my town} Government than its dedication to Right and Wrong or even just following laws set in Place to protect others, even Employees such as {some guy} from Township Supported Bullying. The {my town} wants to Silence Those who seek to expose the reality of What happens here. Follow the Facts, Not the Rhetoric. Think of the Children . . .
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

All of that capitalization is a huge red flag. Stay away...
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

You should suggest that a parchment roll might be a better medium for his thoughts.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:45 pm So some dude who used to regularly post on the local FB forums (his hang-ups were many, but included the township committee in general, township citizens not attending committee meetings, taxes, parking, nepotism, the lack of skate parks in town, turf soccer fields, how he rallied the community post-hurricane Sandy and let people charge their phones via his generator and no one properly appreciated him for it...) apparently got banned recently. While I would occasionally poke the bear and make fun of him (especially when he attacked the town's soccer league), he never really responded which isn't much fun, and as you'll see he gives off a bit of a "how nature says do not touch" vibe. The biggest FB forum is maintained by a relatively young guy who has run as for town office as an independent in the last few elections, and as such that group does have a somewhat acrimonious relationship with the town government.

Our town has started an anti-bullying initiative that sounds nice on the surface, but some think is directly aimed at opposition groups as it dictates that the town "will no longer be sharing information into third-party groups or pages that are not “Bully-Free Certified”", and has never really explained what that means. Someone shared a meeting notification for the anti-bullying initiative on the page for one of my kid's soccer teams, and this dude somehow found it (I guess via the shares from the initial post from the town) and left this as a comment on a U12 girls soccer team page:

Makes me feel better about my town. We have several of these guys, and our town's community FB page turned into 3. The biggest crazy rund for Town Council as a Libertarian every year, and 3 of the 6 crazies have become his minions. He was banned from the original page, so he started a second one. Because he picked an almost identical name and picture, I could never tell which was which. The originals asked him to change the name, he refused, chalking it up to yet another Town Council conspiracy to silence the Truth. The original group tried to keep political commentary out, saying all political discussions in his forum, and keep their forum for local events, recommendations for plumbers, and the like. He and his minions freaked, that the original forum moderators were trying to silence Free Speech. He was eventually banned, but his minions would post for him. Somebody started a third forum called {My Town}, No BS. It was by invite only, but they had almost as many members as the original site within 2 weeks. Basically accepted everyone except the 6 crazies. And it was peaceful and product, but under constant attack in the other 2 forums, because they are hiding the truth. The head nutter can't fathom that people want a place they can ask for a recommendation for a dentist without being attacked as a partisan enabler for the Town Council cabal.

I have to laugh when I see this shit, as Mr. D left town before any of this, and he used to complain about the insane Town politics and the bickering on the original Forum, but man, it got 1000 times worse.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Old frat brother of mine is an engineer who has patented some kind of heavy water creating thing or something (point is, guy is really really smart).

Back at school (mid-80s) he was pretty normal in his views. But I think the decades of rugby have done things to his mind. He posts a lot of anti-liberal stuff. More attempts at humour than trying to be downright offensive.

I don't know man...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(I think I have the people and circumstances in this brief anecdote correct, if not I guess cerrano can correct me if he bothers to look in this thread)

My wife (then not even my girlfriend) and her college roommate (cerrano's wife, but then not even my girlfriend) had a Rage Against the Machine poster featuring Guevara's face up in their room their freshman year. They also had a Cuban friend who was unaware of RAtM, and ended up having a very awkward, enlightening conversation with him when he visited their room and saw the poster.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Apparently that picture isn't Che. It's from El Salvador in the 80s.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:40 pm Apparently that picture isn't Che. It's from El Salvador in the 80s.
It's obvious from everything in the photo... it's just upsetting when you see an intelligent person posting this shit with a straight face.

I posted that the picture was a fake and his response was "Oh, because he was such a great guy."

Buh bye.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Well, the picture is disturbing, and I don't think it's fake. It's just not Che.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its fucked up Michael Che shot those girls in the 80s.