Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21313
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Home, watching the NHL Playoffs
Contact:

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by brian » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Yeah, what Sybian said. Donald Trump's America doesn't go away even if he loses. For starters, you can probably bet Donald Trump Jr. becomes the likely candidate in 2024 if not Donald Trump himself, even at 82 (if he's still alive and remotely cogent).

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11653
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by sancarlos » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:28 pm

The Sybian wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:43 pm
sancarlos wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm
brian wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:22 pm
It's no Justice For Don, but I decided to say the hell with it and bought a website for a blog. I have a LOT to do to learn about how the fuck WordPress works and to pretty things up, so it's definitely in a very rough state at this point, but since I have the domain thought I'd share it here:

http://exiledfromamerica.com
I respect your decision to move and I admire your balls and willingness to pull up stakes and go to Mexico. But, given your stated reason of "because we no longer feel safe or welcome in Donald Trump’s America", isn't your timing a bit curious? I mean, there is certainly a decent chance Joe Biden will be president in January. Obviously, the debris and empowered assholes that come from Trump's administration will still be around to cause all sorts of shit, but at least we have hope for an improved America, soon, right? Hopefully, it won't always be "Donald Trump's America".
Trump's base doesn't quietly recede into the ether if he loses.
Re-read my post.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 21313
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: Home, watching the NHL Playoffs
Contact:

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by brian » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Personally, we just reached a point of no return.

I mean -- MAYBE -- if you could somehow guarantee me that Trump loses, maybe we stay. But there's a few other things too:

1) Climate change. I'm not sure if we're going to be in any better shape trying to sell a house in Las Vegas five years from now after additional Colorado River/Lake Mead water depletion.

2) Selling high. If we do sell the house, we'll be selling at a high that I'm not sure will be there in two or three years because of the effects from the pandemic and other factors like climate change, the economy, etc.

3) QAnon/white supremacists, etc. Even if Trump loses, these people aren't going to be like the Homer Simpson GIF and just fade back into the bushes. If anything they might decide to start using those AR-15s they own and start picking people off. I'm not convinced it will be safer with Biden as president in the short term. Obviously, that's not a reason to vote for Trump -- I'm not going to be intimidated by those loonies, but the threat of violence is real and there's lot of guns lying around Las Vegas. A Biden election could have the same effect as Lincoln's election did -- essentially lighting the powder kegs that had been stacking up for decades before.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Biden wins, the country comes to its senses, whomever buys my home sees it continue to increase in value. But at my age, I'm not going to play those odds. I'm taking my money off the table and moving somewhere I feel safe.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11653
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by sancarlos » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Yeah, that all makes sense. Good luck!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7848
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by govmentchedda » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:55 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 pm
Personally, we just reached a point of no return.

I mean -- MAYBE -- if you could somehow guarantee me that Trump loses, maybe we stay. But there's a few other things too:

1) Climate change. I'm not sure if we're going to be in any better shape trying to sell a house in Las Vegas five years from now after additional Colorado River/Lake Mead water depletion.

2) Selling high. If we do sell the house, we'll be selling at a high that I'm not sure will be there in two or three years because of the effects from the pandemic and other factors like climate change, the economy, etc.

3) QAnon/white supremacists, etc. Even if Trump loses, these people aren't going to be like the Homer Simpson GIF and just fade back into the bushes. If anything they might decide to start using those AR-15s they own and start picking people off. I'm not convinced it will be safer with Biden as president in the short term. Obviously, that's not a reason to vote for Trump -- I'm not going to be intimidated by those loonies, but the threat of violence is real and there's lot of guns lying around Las Vegas. A Biden election could have the same effect as Lincoln's election did -- essentially lighting the powder kegs that had been stacking up for decades before.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Biden wins, the country comes to its senses, whomever buys my home sees it continue to increase in value. But at my age, I'm not going to play those odds. I'm taking my money off the table and moving somewhere I feel safe.
You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
The Sybian
The Dude
Posts: 12123
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
Location: Working in the Crap Part of Jersey

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by The Sybian » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:01 pm

brian wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 pm
Personally, we just reached a point of no return.

I mean -- MAYBE -- if you could somehow guarantee me that Trump loses, maybe we stay. But there's a few other things too:


3) QAnon/white supremacists, etc. Even if Trump loses, these people aren't going to be like the Homer Simpson GIF and just fade back into the bushes. If anything they might decide to start using those AR-15s they own and start picking people off. I'm not convinced it will be safer with Biden as president in the short term. Obviously, that's not a reason to vote for Trump -- I'm not going to be intimidated by those loonies, but the threat of violence is real and there's lot of guns lying around Las Vegas. A Biden election could have the same effect as Lincoln's election did -- essentially lighting the powder kegs that had been stacking up for decades before.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Biden wins, the country comes to its senses, whomever buys my home sees it continue to increase in value. But at my age, I'm not going to play those odds. I'm taking my money off the table and moving somewhere I feel safe.
This is right along my line of thinking. I think all the divisiveness gets worse no matter who wins. I'm not concerned with my personal safety, as the Trump supporters in NJ don't seem the violent type, but I do think there will be massive violence no matter who wins. I also think we are on the edge of a massive recession if not depression. The effects of COVID on the economy will continue for at least a year or two, the commercial real estate market will implode, the stock market is an enormous bubble that should have popped years ago, and the longer it stays the worse the crash will be. Climate change is clearly causing more and worse natural disasters, which will compound the crippling of our economy. OTOH, Trump said it'll get cooler, so I'm worrying for nothing and we need to continue dismantling all environmental protection laws.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt

User avatar
L-Jam3
Donny
Posts: 2615
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 am

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by L-Jam3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:48 am

I know I said before that I was going to get off Facebook after I get married next month, but I just went ahead and deactivated it this morning. I think the final straw for me was an argument I had last week with an anti-vaxxer Trump supporter. I initially thought that it was worth fighting because even though I'm not trying to change her mind, at least I can put some sense forward to other people reading it. And then I just realized it's not worth the effort. I got you guys. And if that puts me in an echo chamber, so be it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Andre "The Hawk" Dawson with 438.

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7848
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by govmentchedda » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 am

Everybody go watch Social Dilemma on Netflix.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6364
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Giff » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:53 am

That's what everyone keeps telling me, but then I've also heard backlash because apparently it's all white.
Muh.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6031
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:16 am

That's a little bit like telling people to ignore an anti-smoking movie because the cast of characters is all or mostly white in Big Tobacco.

Silicon Valley, especially in terms of executives, is what it is. That's who they are interviewing.

For what it's worth, the family they use to illustrate a lot of their points is blended.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11653
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by sancarlos » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 am

Fwiw, I live on the northern end of Silicon Valley, and the next-door neighbors on my right are Indian/Indonesian. The neighbors on my left are Caucasian/Indian. The neighbors catty-corner across the street are Chinese. All are Silicon Valley tech people. Movies and TV may not reflect it, but there are lots of Chinese and Indian people working in tech in the Valley. Other minorities, not much.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5584
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Shirley » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:14 pm

sancarlos wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 am
Fwiw, I live on the northern end of Silicon Valley, and the next-door neighbors on my right are Indian/Indonesian. The neighbors on my left are Caucasian/Indian. The neighbors catty-corner across the street are Chinese. All are Silicon Valley tech people. Movies and TV may not reflect it, but there are lots of Chinese and Indian people working in tech in the Valley. Other minorities, not much.
Absolutely. Any accurate depiction of a modern tech company has to have a LOT of Indian and Chinese folks. Particularly if it's a west coast company. I was often in meetings at Microsoft where out of 10-12 people, only 4-5 would be American white dudes. It's not that extreme here in NC, but it's also not (usually) all white either.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 6031
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Just want to reiterate, the point I was addressing is the C-suite, not the make-up of the staff.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11653
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by sancarlos » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm
Just want to reiterate, the point I was addressing is the C-suite, not the make-up of the staff.
Plenty of Indian and Chinese there, too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5584
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Ridiculous Things You Read On Facebook

Post by Shirley » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am

sancarlos wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:04 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 pm
Just want to reiterate, the point I was addressing is the C-suite, not the make-up of the staff.
Plenty of Indian and Chinese there, too.
Yup, but in fairness, probably not to the level of the regular employees.
Totally Kafkaesque

Post Reply