My Wish to Sail Through Life Without Serving on a Jury

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: My Wish to Sail Through Life Without Serving on a Jury

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:21 pm Whatever sliver of remaining optimism you had about the country would be gone before those two weeks were up.
Yeah, I've served on a jury before as I probably mentioned. You're probably right, but it still seems more interesting than this day-to-day slog. I'm sure I'd be ready to kill almost every other juror by the second day.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'd hope it would be the opposite, as far as "the system works" goes. It could be the opposite, given the time and care being put into the case by the attorneys and the judge even at this stage of the process. But even if I was getting paid by work, I had no desire to get into the details of an elderly woman's murder, her husband's assault, and be 1/12 determining whether their adult son did it or not.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Fricking again
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Awhile back, I got a summons for jury duty, tomorrow. I just now did the obligatory night-before phone-in to see if they need me to actually appear. I got a maybe response. I am on "call-back status", meaning that I have to call in again, at 11:00 am tomorrow, and be ready to appear within 90 minutes, if so ordered.

So, I've always prided myself on the fact that I've never gotten hooked into serving on a jury. But, dammit, I'm an old, retired guy with time on his hands, so if they summon me tomorrow, I'm going in and not trying to get out of it. We will see...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I also have jury duty tomorrow. Federal courts keep you on call an entire week. Less than zero chance of getting seated I would think
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife got the flyer in the mail yesterday calling her for Grand Jury duty starting in May. One day a week for 18 weeks. Gotta figure out how to get out of that...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Befriend or make enemies with as many cops and rapists as possible
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:40 am My wife got the flyer in the mail yesterday calling her for Grand Jury duty starting in May. One day a week for 18 weeks. Gotta figure out how to get out of that...
Good luck with that. I was on one over 15 years ago and I think I went in 23 of 26 weeks or something like that, with two misses due to a previously scheduled trip. I think we were there long enough to eat lunch twice, which actually was more annoying (get up, drive downtown, etc. for two hours of "work").

That said, Ryan makes a salient point, although I'd probably just profess content for law enforcement.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Dsafe: law enforcement is fine, I guess.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:55 am Dsafe: law enforcement is fine, I guess.
Actually, the delivery of that line could make it more off-putting than actual contempt.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:55 am Dsafe: law enforcement is fine, I guess.
I can't stop laughing at this.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:46 pm Awhile back, I got a summons for jury duty, tomorrow. I just now did the obligatory night-before phone-in to see if they need me to actually appear. I got a maybe response. I am on "call-back status", meaning that I have to call in again, at 11:00 am tomorrow, and be ready to appear within 90 minutes, if so ordered.

So, I've always prided myself on the fact that I've never gotten hooked into serving on a jury. But, dammit, I'm an old, retired guy with time on his hands, so if they summon me tomorrow, I'm going in and not trying to get out of it. We will see...
They did call me in, so I have to hop quick!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I got a summons last week and did the online qualification thing this morning.

Damn date is smack dab on my birthday.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:46 pm Awhile back, I got a summons for jury duty, tomorrow. I just now did the obligatory night-before phone-in to see if they need me to actually appear. I got a maybe response. I am on "call-back status", meaning that I have to call in again, at 11:00 am tomorrow, and be ready to appear within 90 minutes, if so ordered.

They did call me in, so I have to hop quick!
"Yeah, I'd love to help you out and perform my civic duty, but I got a bunch of middle aged guys on the internet waiting to read my opinions on sports and pop culture, so it's essential I'm available at all times."
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So I follow google maps to the location parking lot, to find 15 or so people wandering around,trying to find an entrance to the juror pool room. So, I joined the wandering, and after 10 minutes or so, we found a different parking lot, near the entrance we’d been seeking. So then waited in along line to sign in. Then was directed into a big room with 80 or so other potential jurors. After waiting there for awhile, a guy came in and started reading off what ended up being 60 or so names. I was not among the chosen, and all those folks were herded away. The rest of us waited awhile further. Finally a guy came back and told the remaining 20 or so that we weren’t needed and are free from jury duty for at least a year.

So I got that going for me (which is nice). Even though I am willing and able to do it.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sat in courtroom all day. Made the initial (random) cut but got cut by govt in voir dire. Did mention I was a defense attorney. But there was much worse in the pool for the govt case so I got nervy but all good. Still have to call in all week.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm in the same boat as SC... One and done if you don't get picked.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:08 pmFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
What he said
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

First day of official, non orientation, jury duty. Didn't get dismissed in first round of Voir Dire, but made it out after. And they said likely no more trials this week but we still ahve to check. They've said the last week of December is likely a dead week as well, so just a few days to dodge!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seems jury duty is still virtual in our county. Of course, the email informing me of this included a typo:
Please sign on to Zoom using this link on Monday, 12-22-22 8:35 am:

Topic: 12-12-22 Jury Zoom

Time: Dec 12, 2022 08:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Is that sufficient to weasel out of service?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You should try and let us know!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:16 pm Sat in courtroom all day. Made the initial (random) cut but got cut by govt in voir dire. Did mention I was a defense attorney. But there was much worse in the pool for the govt case so I got nervy but all good. Still have to call in all week.
Hey Citgo, did you do criminal defense? I've been looking into shifting my career into that field.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

They sent an amended email.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The selection process is virtual but seems like jurors might at some point be required to report in person.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:57 pm The selection process is virtual but seems like jurors might at some point be required to report in person.
That's how they're doing it in Utah nowadays. The selection process is remote, but then the people chosen to serve on the jury have to come in for the trial.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:14 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:16 pm Sat in courtroom all day. Made the initial (random) cut but got cut by govt in voir dire. Did mention I was a defense attorney. But there was much worse in the pool for the govt case so I got nervy but all good. Still have to call in all week.
Hey Citgo, did you do criminal defense? I've been looking into shifting my career into that field.
By trade im a securities lawyer but I ran a legal clinic for 15 years that did about 10% criminal until covid/economy ran off the staff. I liked criminal work but I didnt like chasing money.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:55 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:14 pm
By trade im a securities lawyer but I ran a legal clinic for 15 years that did about 10% criminal until covid/economy ran off the staff. I liked criminal work but I didnt like chasing money.
As the late, great Philip Baker Hall put so eloquently in Hard Eight: you know the first thing they should've taught you at hooker school? You get the money up front!
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

UGH
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A 100+ person Zoom call where everyone needs to speak at some point. Fantastic.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Did one of those for a mandatory youth coaching class. Its real fun and not at all terrible.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The jury coordinator has told us multiple times we're free to use the "potty" until the judge shows up.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, yeah, you might have to go poopoo or peepee.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:22 am Did one of those for a mandatory youth coaching class. Its real fun and not at all terrible.
Whoa whoa, people coaching and not posting in the tammany hall thread. im yelling in a cave in there. Tammany Hall is now for all youth sports. If youre coaching there have to be some stories.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Still waiting on the judge.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:07 am
mister d wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:22 am Did one of those for a mandatory youth coaching class. Its real fun and not at all terrible.
Whoa whoa, people coaching and not posting in the tammany hall thread. im yelling in a cave in there. Tammany Hall is now for all youth sports. If youre coaching there have to be some stories.
I'm following along with your boy's transition into a defensive CM. Interesting twist with the deportations, wasn't expecting that.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We were a somewhat non-competitive fall ball team in the 12U B division and I was only an assistant so there isn't much. Only near-event was a coach on the other team going to the ump about where a kid on our team was standing in the box. Fall is when kids move up so half our team was 10Us (but not the best ones) moving up and seeing harder throwers so I've had them standing towards the back to give a little extra time. Ump correctly explained to the other coach that the chalk is still part of the box and that she wasn't even on the chalk. On this coach's way back (1st base dugout, I was coaching 1st base) I mentioned that he'll see a lot of them back there per our instructions and that they know where to stop figuring that would end the concerns and because coaches in this league tend to all get along well. An inning or two later the same coach goes out for the same kid for the same reason, the ump says the same thing (he's a little annoyed) and by then I was more than a little annoyed so I gave him a "you don't have to keep stopping the game to find out you're wrong" because (1) this wasn't an uber-competitive league where you call kids out mid-game, (2) his infielders were hovering in the baselines and his pitcher was going to her mouth the whole time and we weren't saying anything and (3) it was my kid he picked on twice. Also he was like 5'5".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

On a break until 1:30
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just begging for the leadoff (wo)man to try the ump and swipe the chalk off the back of the box. Sounds like just the thing for an assistant. What's up with your girl syb? All ok. Videos looked good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Another 45 minutes of camera on doing nothing.