AFC Championship - Pats/Colts

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: AFC Championship - Pats/Colts

Post by Rush2112 »

A Seahawks Fan on another board wrote:I feel like an earlier draft of this article has a final paragraph that just straight-up suggests that the final interception of SB49 should be viewed skeptically, that the Seahawks should retroactively receive the Super Bowl ring with Brady's still-twitching finger attached, and that the Patriots should be disbanded once and for all.
This was an awesome read and I love me some drama, but it feels crazy irresponsible and one-sided if you try to read between the lines of what the author is saying - without coming right out and stating it, he's essentially suggesting that every Patriots win since Belichick took over is tarnished by cheating and corruption at all levels of the league. That's insane.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Rush2112 wrote: Doris Kearns Goodwin has a Pulitzer Prize. Not exactly that grand of an award.
Best argument you've made in 46 pages.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

howard wrote:
Rush2112 wrote: Doris Kearns Goodwin has a Pulitzer Prize. Not exactly that grand of an award.
Best argument you've made in 46 pages.

nice avatar.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

It's days like this I miss Delaware.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I feel we've just set a dangerous precedent in the quote usage of message board posters from other sites.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:I feel we've just set a dangerous precedent in the quote usage of message board posters from other sites.
I wager that a Seahawk fan wouldn't be viewing something with "Pats colored glasses."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Rush2112 wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:I feel we've just set a dangerous precedent in the quote usage of message board posters from other sites.
I wager that a Seahawk fan wouldn't be viewing something with "Pats colored glasses."
Is the "color" some sort of advanced recording device?

Asking for a friend.

...Who wants to keep dumping gasoline on this dumpster fire
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

1) I hate the Patriots.

2) I hate the fact that many of their fans have set a new standard for whininess while bitching about the backlash against the team since January.

3) I think I hate the NFL even more for planting these stories with ESPN two days before the season starts with Brady playing - an embarrassment of epic proportions for Goodell and his minions.

Take that back, I don't "think" anything - I know I hate the Goodell regime more than the Pats. This is beyond belief - not that this shit went on, but that the league timed this release to further overshadow the start of what will be a 14 win season by the Pats.

Anyone not think this was a leak by the league? Jagoff Goodell can't win in court, so he orchestrates this?

(God help me - I am starting to agree with Pats fans).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote:1) I hate the Patriots.

2) I hate the fact that many of their fans have set a new standard for whininess while bitching about the backlash against the team since January.

3) I think I hate the NFL even more for planting these stories with ESPN two days before the season starts with Brady playing - an embarrassment of epic proportions for Goodell and his minions.

Take that back, I don't "think" anything - I know I hate the Goodell regime more than the Pats. This is beyond belief - not that this shit went on, but that the league timed this release to further overshadow the start of what will be a 14 win season by the Pats.

Anyone not think this was a leak by the league? Jagoff Goodell can't win in court, so he orchestrates this?

I very much doubt the NFL wanted to see this story released. It paints the league in just as an embarrassing light as the Patriots. Basically it shows them as being complicit in covering up the seriousness of Spygate (at best) and dupes of the Kraft and the Patriots (at worst).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

BSF21 wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
Is the "color" some sort of advanced recording device?

Asking for a friend....Who wants to keep dumping gasoline on this dumpster fire
What was that? Again, I can't hear you over all this pumped in crowd noise.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

brian wrote:
I very much doubt the NFL wanted to see this story released. It paints the league in just as an embarrassing light as the Patriots. Basically it shows them as being complicit in covering up the seriousness of Spygate (at best) and dupes of the Kraft and the Patriots (at worst).
Goodell hasn't been painted in the best of light in the past few days anyway. I'd reckon that the majority of people reading this story are glossing over mentions of Goodell and grasping on every mention of the Patriots and their "cheating mastermind."

As for the "seriousness" the article keeps mentioning all the tapes of signals etc. It's still not illegal to tape or keep tapes of your opponent's signals.
I am pretty sure that all 32 teams have a similar cache of tapes of game film and signals.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:
Pruitt wrote:1) I hate the Patriots.

Agreed. Goodell and Pash look really bad in this story. To further cast doubt on the idea this was an NFL leak, the story contains previously unreported details about just how pissed NFL owners were at Goodell as a result of the Rice fiasco. His seat was apparently much hotter than had been previously reported.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Joe K wrote: Agreed. Goodell and Pash look really bad in this story. To further cast doubt on the idea this was an NFL leak, the story contains previously unreported details about just how pissed NFL owners were at Goodell as a result of the Rice fiasco. His seat was apparently much hotter than had been previously reported.
So perhaps something to help push Pash/Goodell out the door while also allowing ESPN to bash on the Patriots? It's win win for the owners/ESPN.

ETA: Either way, ESPN is so beholden to the NFL there is no way this is published without some approval of the league.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jerloma wrote:It's days like this I miss Delaware.
Seems almost impossible to believe that ESPN releasing this on my anniversary is a coincidence.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(My favorite part, because I know you're wondering, is Rush outright dismissing the anonymous sources due to their anonymity.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pruitt wrote:Anyone not think this was a leak by the league? Jagoff Goodell can't win in court, so he orchestrates this?

I'm sorry, but you couldn't have possibly read that article and think for a second that Goodell orchestrated it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote:
So you cherry picked a source from a message board because it agreed with you while dismissing people named in the ESPN report because you didn't agree with them?

I'm impressed. I'm just not sure if I'm impressed with your prowess at being a caricature or that you are really lacking so much self-awareness in this thread.

And I hate this thread and this entire topic. With a passion.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I dont know why this is a story. We know Belichick looks for an edge. Yeah, his trusted prep school friend does the wall street wonk work and coordinates execution. This has been known for a long time and is not something outside the lines just dug up. The only reason people have a problem is that his search for an exploit is not limited to traditional on the field stuff like left footed punters but extends to stuff like roster management, scouting, injury reporting, equipment, coaching contracts/staff management and anything else that gives him an extra 1%. If youre at all an honest fan, you have to appreciate him for it and its what makes him the best in the biz. No doubt other teams do the same EXACT things and even if they didnt, he has taught the rest of the league how to do it. Im sure that has a lot to do with the tight lipped nature of the program. There are probably 10 other better stories out there as it relates to Belichick's program. Does the guy really like Rutgers players that much? Not that hes had a ton of success with it but drafting and scouting is so important to success that you know hes looking for something there. The amount of shit that must go on league wide surrounding player evaluations and relationships with local college guys could fill volumes im sure. Salary cap? Roster moves and waivers? You could definitely make some hay there. The rules? Extra points back to 30yds help exploit the best kicker in football. Id actually like to read an in depth article exposing the inner workings but this is just regurgitated old news. Doesnt even mention Nick Caserio at all? You cant really tell that story without finding out his involvement and explaining how he comes from nowhere to pretty much be second in line.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
So you cherry picked a source from a message board because it agreed with you while dismissing people named in the ESPN report because you didn't agree with them?

I'm impressed. I'm just not sure if I'm impressed with your prowess at being a caricature or that you are really lacking so much self-awareness in this thread.

And I hate this thread and this entire topic. With a passion.
Matt Walsh and Bill Pollian are the "sources" around much of this report is based. Both have big axes to grind against the Patriots and Walsh has already had a big part of his story refuted. The "cherry picked" quote is actually very indicative of the thoughts in the discussion of this story in the NFL subreddit, which typically trends anti-Patriot.

If you hate the subject there is no need to read and/or comment.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Am I hallucinating, or did Rush really just cite an anonymous post from a different board to support his point? We have officially reached a new low in Swamp history, including using ISP addresses to locate and threaten another poster, a female Swamper sending nude pics to married Swampers, and Brainbo leaving us.

As for the idea that Goodell or the League leaked the info in that article, that is far fetched. I think Goodell and the League look infinitely worse than Belichick or the Pats in this article.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He also dismissed two sources for bias while vehemently attempting to convince everyone of the Patriots' innocence.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

A Seahawks Fan on this board: wrote:Can we call them Cheaters again?
Last edited by Jerloma on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well I could also cite a yahoo.com article, articles from the Washington Post, and others but you'd dismiss those because you've made your mind up that everything a team has had a success over the last decade is simply because they had the same information as other teams her somehow because it was in the Patriots hands it's worth more and evidently has nothing to do with other aspects of running a team. Everything that affirms your anti Patriot view is of course gospel, but if think of refuting it I'm some sort of asshole

Enjoy your hurdur circle jerk. I'll enjoy my team's 4 super bowl championships and the up coming season.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo wrote:I dont know why this is a story. We know Belichick looks for an edge. Yeah, his trusted prep school friend does the wall street wonk work and coordinates execution. This has been known for a long time and is not something outside the lines just dug up. The only reason people have a problem is that his search for an exploit is not limited to traditional on the field stuff like left footed punters but extends to stuff like roster management, scouting, injury reporting, equipment, coaching contracts/staff management and anything else that gives him an extra 1%. If youre at all an honest fan, you have to appreciate him for it and its what makes him the best in the biz.
Sorry, but pulling stunts like sending low level staffers into the visitors locker room to steal playsheets or having the other teams radio headsets cut out on critical plays isn't getting an "extra 1%"....in my book, that's cheating.

Yes, pro football is big business, and all that, but its still a sport, and things like sportsmanship and fair play should still count for something. Did you read the SI article about the extra steps that the Seahawks were going through in terms of security for last years Super Bowl? All because they were playing the Patriots? That's insanity...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote:
HaulCitgo wrote:I dont know why this is a story. We know Belichick looks for an edge. Yeah, his trusted prep school friend does the wall street wonk work and coordinates execution. This has been known for a long time and is not something outside the lines just dug up. The only reason people have a problem is that his search for an exploit is not limited to traditional on the field stuff like left footed punters but extends to stuff like roster management, scouting, injury reporting, equipment, coaching contracts/staff management and anything else that gives him an extra 1%. If youre at all an honest fan, you have to appreciate him for it and its what makes him the best in the biz.
Sorry, but pulling stunts like sending low level staffers into the visitors locker room to steal playsheets or having the other teams radio headsets cut out on critical plays isn't getting an "extra 1%"....in my book, that's cheating.

Yes, pro football is big business, and all that, but its still a sport, and things like sportsmanship and fair play should still count for something. Did you read the SI article about the extra steps that the Seahawks were going through in terms of security for last years Super Bowl? All because they were playing the Patriots? That's insanity...
But an anonymous Seahawks fan on an unnamed website said the Pats didn't cheat. You people will believe anything that agrees with your position.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I think Rush is on to something.

From Free Republic:
Unhappy when watching Brady pick apart the Bengals; but he is a model athlete--always cool and focused under pressure.

The NFL is making itself look ridiculous in seeking to continue its over-reaching attack on Brady.
More like a PR lynching of Brady for not cooperating in what was supposed to demonstrate the NFL's purity. What Brady did in not violating the privacy of his friends, by turning over his cell phone records, was far more honorable--far more--than what was done in embracing the "deflate-gate" silliness, after they admitted that they could not prove anything.
“There’s no hate like Brady hate....it’s psychotic.”

I think it’s usually that they never played the game...or maybe any sport. It’s hard to fathom how people can say the best football team in a generation got this way by looking at signals (like no one else has) or POSSIBLY under-inflating footballs...(also as if no one else has) it just defies logic or emotions.

What it takes to be a championship team in any sport consistently over decades isn’t done by cheating. Anyone who understands what it takes and how it works knows that in their heart. I pity people who can’t appreciate it. I provoke them and I probably shouldn’t. They get a FREE front row to history and shit on it. Sad.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

WHY WOULD THE PATRIOTS WANT TO REINSTATE TWO EMPLOYEES WHO WERE SUSPENDED FOR STEALING FROM THEM???????
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Because they're really good at stea...OH HO NOT FALLING FOR THAT ONE
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I love some of the self-deprecating emails that fans send to Deadspin about their teams. Credit where it's due...the Pats fans killed it.
I wear a Patriots hoodie to the gym every day (grew up in New England, currently living in Nashville), and every time I do something non-douchy like hold the door for someone or say “Hi!”, people stare at me like I have three heads. This cannot be a coincidence.
The Patriots are the only team that can make winning a Super Bowl as joyless as they have.
People who think Boston is the best city in the world have only been there and Akron.
New England fans just don’t seem to be happy unless we can be insufferably smug AND publicly flagellate ourselves over taking shit for the sins of our team.
Take every negative stereotype of NFL fans, from entitlement to racism to drug- addled women-beating, and Patriots fans embody it. We are everything hateable. We make excuses for cheating. We pollute the airwaves and the Internet with our ill-informed nonsense. We’re evil.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Emails from anonymous fans.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

From the comments on the WYTS entry for the Pats:

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"... I did get 700 emails that day. I got a lot more positive support emails, but I did get enough negatives. It wasn’t pretty, wasn't a nice thing. I don't understand why people searched me out to send nasty, private emails. Nobody sent death threats, which people were saying, they were just cyberbullying. Things like, ‘you’re an A-hole’ and ‘you shouldn't go to work drunk.’ Just weird things. I mean, what’s wrong with people?"
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

---
Last edited by Jerloma on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

- Wrong thread
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man oh man oh man ...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote:Oh man oh man oh man ...
Setting my reminder on this thread for June when the decision comes down and Goodell wins the appeal.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

keeps on giving
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Chief Justice Trump gonna make this right in the end.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

So from what I'm reading, this appeal may come down to some arcane points of arbitration law. One of America's foremost champions of arbitration died near a pillow a couple of weeks ago. Makes you think....
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh man. If Goodell really did murder Scalia, I would be looking so forward to American Crime Story: The People vs. Roger Goodell on FX in five years.

Matt Damon as Tom Brady is pretty obvious casting.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!